Stage 5 Questions

Options

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Well done LuvtheCubs! I don't mind the lunge jumps, prefer them to the jump squats I think!

Managed to get 5B done - phew! Changed it a bit, limited for time so didn't do intervals. Instead did a 15 min run as a warm up, gradually increasing speed and incline. Other things went ok, not trying for too much though as not 100% well.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've been MIA again. My 6 year old got bronchitis and then my hubby got home so I've been preoccupied:)

Did my LAST A workout today! Upped almost everything except those damn chest presses. Cannot for the life of me get the 30lb dumbelss up:/ I look like such a tool trying to do it too! Lol! Spin class tomorrow and then my last B workout of Stage 5!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Well done bec!

I'm on my 3rd 5A today. Thankfully hubby staying home to look after sick little one. 30lbs sounds like a goal for those bench presses, will need a spotter though :-/

Looking forward to it today - feel like you get through the workout quite quickly, even though it defeated me last time. *Determined*
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Well I did my workout - was hard with my cold, especially the body matrix!!!

Got to 26.5 lbs (12kg) each on the dumbells with a spotter. So annoying it only goes up in the 2kgs increments... when you use lbs, whats the difference in between each lot of weights then?

Upped to 58lbs on the cable, back to 88lbs on the rows (poor form previously), managed all reps at 26.5 lbs (x2) with the single leg deadlift, hurts my grip though - must get gloves.

Only did 2 planks today - ipod died and no way I could get through a third without it, hahahaha.

Ok, so just wasted all that time converting from kgs to lbs so you could tell what I'm on about - better get on with my day lol ;-)
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Jo - Sorry your little one is sick...way to push through and get 'er done, even with your cold. at the lower weights, the dumbbells at my gym go up by 2.5lbs, but now I am struggling with the same thing you and beck are. 30 to 35 pounds, then 35 to 40. I bought some 1kg wrist weights a while back and it really works well!! for your grip, make sure you are not pinning your palm skin against your fingers...it makes a big difference.

beck - sorry YOUR little one is sick! Way to keep moving on NR!

Luv - good job on getting started! fun stage, huh?

I did 5B3 yesterday...only two more!!

deadlift/row: 90x4x2, 90x5, 90x3
    single leg squat: 74x5x3
    lat pulldown: 100x5x2, 100x6
    back extension: did not do due to pulled hammie
    ywtl: 20x6x3
    v-sit-ups: 15x25
    superman: 120secx2
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Where did everyone go?

I'm scheduled for 5A (4) today - whoop whoop. Glad to be nearly done with this stage, not enjoying it. Be good to move on to some new things.

Just hoping son is ok (Doc thinks he has kidney infection now) and no one I'm looking after goes into labour today.....!! Have a great weekend everyone xxxx
  • LuvtheCubs
    LuvtheCubs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Jo-sorry about your little one.

I did 5b-3 yesterday. I still hate YWTL. I actually enjoy stage 5. I've made good strength gains on this one. Enjoy the week end everyone!
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I did my last Stage 5 workout on Thursday! I'll see y'all in Stage 6!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Wooohooo well done Bec! That's my plan for tomorrow..... finish stage 5!

Supposed to be doing a cardio day but AGAIN had to go out for a birth last night. Got home at 5am, feeling pretty awful right now, lol. I'll see how the day goes.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    hey everyone...finished stage five this am! without question, this has been the hardest stage. It amazes me how tough 4 reps can be! I upped my weights a bit in the beginning as I tested where I should be for the lower reps.

See you all in stage 6!
  • LuvtheCubs
    Options
    Been out of the gym for 6 days because of work. Did 5a3 today. Didn't want to go to the gym but glad I went. Nothing special accomplished but glad to get back in the swing of things. I had some nice compliments from people this week that I look good, that I've lost weight. Kind of nice to hear that and gives me good inventive to keep working this program.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Question! For the one arm dumbell snatch, is it ok to use a different weight for each arm? I can do 30 lbs with my right arm (it's tough but I can do it) but there is no way with my left arm, I get about half way up and just can't get the rest of the way even with trying more momentum! I can do 20 lbs no problem with the left. Unfortunately I only have 10 pound increments so it's either 20 or 30...

Thanks!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    SAR - You should definitely keep the same weight for both sides...you want to create balance in your body as much as you can.

luv - good for you getting back to it...love the compliments!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    SAR - You should definitely keep the same weight for both sides...you want to create balance in your body as much as you can.

luv - good for you getting back to it...love the compliments!

I figured this was the answer! It just sucks knowing I can do more with one side! I'll get there though:)

P.S. Love the "guns" :love:
  • feelgoodnic
    feelgoodnic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ugh, first day in the gym after 3.5 weeks off (and 2 of those weeks were a VERY lazy, gluttonous holiday... but so worth it) but at least I'm back in a routine now.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be but I wasn't able to do the second bodyweight matrix and I didn't really increase my weights from what I did in Stage 3.

My knee is still bothering me especially during squats and lunges- I'm going to make an appointment with a physio tomorrow to see if I can sort it out.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Nic - way to get back on the wagon...you will be progressing soon if you stick with it! Definitely see a physio...they can do wonders!
  • feelgoodnic
    Options
    Thanks lcuconley!

And today I am experiencing the DOMS from Hell... I've even got them in my arms! :smile: is it weird that I've missed this feeling? Even if I am walking up and down stairs like a very old lady...
  • LuvtheCubs
    Options
    Almost done with this stage. The beautiful, summer weather has me doing a lot more outside. I've been making it to the gym about twice a week. I'm ready to have my workouts be a little shorter so I spend less time inside so I'm looking forward to stage 6.
  • feelgoodnic
    Options
    I haven't really looked ahead to Stage 6 yet but if the workouts are shorter I'm excited!

Workouts 1B and 2A down now... SO much easier than the awful first workout. I'm back in the game :) The bodyweight matrix took me 6 and a half minutes on Sunday and I could only do one. Today I did two sets, both taking 4 minutes 15 seconds. Added 5kg to my barbell row and 1kg to my overhead squat and one leg romanian deadlift. My diet has been terrible this week (TOTM, I am craving ALL THE SUGAR AND CHOCOLATE AND CARBS) but at least the amount of carbs I've been eating have given me tons of energy. Or at least it feels that way, haha.
  • LuvtheCubs
    Options
    Quiet on here lately! Everyone must be enjoying the summer weather! I just did my last 5 A. My biggest improvements were on the Matrix. I went from 4 min 25 sec to 3 min even. When I started I couldn't even do the jumping split squat. By the end, no problem.

My other big improvement was on the one arm DB squat. I had a really hard time in stage 3 even doing a 3 pound weight. Finished yesterday with a 20 pound weight, o problem. I realize now that exercise works your core a lot. When I started my core just wasn't strong enough. I feel super good about that now!

Hope everyone has a good week. I'm going on vacation for the rest of the week. Hugs to everyone!