Stage 6 Questions (optional stage)

Options

Replies

• NthnButMoonshine
    NthnButMoonshine Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    6B2 is done! Nothing spectacular to report. Looking forward to the neg chin on Fri and hoping for another increase in time!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    allikat, 6 secs is awesome! This is totally new territory for those muscles, so don't get disheartened.
    I did 1A yesterday. I wasn't able to hold the neg chin-up at all. I was able to control my rate of dropping (and that's exactly what it was, LOL) somewhat on the first rep, but the others I felt as if I was just falling. Very discouraging. But I still weigh 174 lbs so I have to consider that's a lot of weight to hold up! I am REALLY sore today in my upper body. I stretched and warmed up before and I even did some post-workout stretching, but I am SORE. It's definitely a good SORE.
  • NthnButMoonshine
    Options
    Hey Cowgirl, glad to see you made it over here! Those neg. chins are no joke! They sure left me sore too. The good new is I wasnt nearly as sore after the second go, just like everything else. Cant wait to see how much progress you make with them on 6A2!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Hey Cowgirl, glad to see you made it over here! Those neg. chins are no joke! They sure left me sore too. The good new is I wasnt nearly as sore after the second go, just like everything else. Cant wait to see how much progress you make with them on 6A2!

Yikes, I am still sooooo sore! I think part my problem with the negs is coordination. I've never done anything like a chin-up (other than pull downs) so the motion is so foreign to me. Hoping to see some progress. 6B1 today. Need to up my weights , but I liked it. Very different, but uncomplicated.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm finally here too after the never-ending stage 5.

Question about the negative chin-ups....you hold as long as you can fully up and then slowly lower yourself down, right? Getting my workout logs written up, going to do my first A workout tomorrow.
  • NthnButMoonshine
    Options
    No hang, just lowering as soon as you stop swinging. You want the entire lowering process to take you 20 seconds. Its brutal!

ETA: Glad to see you around again!
  • allikat819
    allikat819 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am still sore from my Monday workout. My entire upper body was feeling it, and even my core. I don't know if it was from sucking it in during that neg chin up or what... but DANG, i haven't had that much soreness in my core the whole time I've done this!!

Completed workout B tonight even with my residual DOMS - it went QUICK. I feel like this section is really heavy on the upper body - which is where I definitely feel like I have the most improvement.

I definitely like the A workout better, and I wasn't nearly as good at B as I was hoping to be.
  • ebaymommy
    Options
    No hang, just lowering as soon as you stop swinging. You want the entire lowering process to take you 20 seconds. Its brutal!

ETA: Glad to see you around again!

OK, well I did it wrong then. I hung as long as I could and then lowered as slowly as I could. Will do it the other way for next workout. I was surprised how short the workout A was. I was in & out of the gym in an hour.....amazing!
  • ebaymommy
    Options
    OK, here's my starting stats for workout A:

Held my negative chin-ups above the bar before lowering slowly (will correct this next time but for today that's what I did) for 20 seconds, 18 seconds and 10 seconds.

Underhand grip lat pulldown: 100 for the first 5 sets, 105lbs for the last 5 sets

Barbell split squats - 75lbs (felt like I could go with more but I have to run tomorrow so I didn't want to kill my legs completely)

Push Up - just the regular floor ones
  • NthnButMoonshine
    Options
    I got my 20 sec neg chin today!! Subsequent ones were 12sec and 10 sec. Saw some huge gains in the push up dept too. I was able to do ONE completely unassisted push up. Boobs to the floor, proper form and back up. Stupid for most at this point in the game, but this is a ghost Ive been chasing for a loooong time. I finally stumbled across a video recommending trying them with bands at the hips (allowing all the back muscles and glutes to engage properly) and it seems to be doing the trick for me. Ill keep decreasing the assistance with the bands until Im completely on my own, but Im thrilled to know I can at least do ONE!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    That's awesome Ebaymommy and Nthn. You girls make me feel like such a wimp :)
    I'm still at only one or two GOOD push-ups before my form suffers, so you're not alone there, Nthn.
    I did A2 today. Did better on the negs, but I really just don't see how I am even going to get better at these. Today I let my toe rest on the step so that I wasn't wobbling and then lowered myself, but still only able to do it for 4 secs. I feel like I am so completely BAD at these that I shouldn't bother, LOL.
    I will keep going and finish this Stage, but not expecting much improvement.
  • allikat819
    Options
    I don't know what was wrong with me, but for my 2nd A workout, I went for those neg chin ups and completely sank. I had NOTHING. I'm really disappointed... I should be IMPROVING not regressing!!

I'm going to try and really watch that I'm getting enough protein the next few days, and hopefully the next A workout will be more successful.
  • viblanco
    viblanco Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm half way through stage 6 and I love the changes in my body! Especially my back!!! Super excited to finish and get to stage 7. I hope to put up my stats for stage 6 very soon.

I also got the new NROL Supercharged and I'm currently reading through it. I'm planning to start this program after the summer is over because I have signed up to run my very first half marathon with Team in Training!! Super excited! I hope the fundraising goes well.

I know that if you want to build muscle it isn't ideal to mix marathon training with a muscle building plan. I'm going to try to see how this works. I REALLY HOPE! I DON'T LOSE ALL THE MUSCLE I GAINED WITH THIS PROGRAM! I will CRY!!!

But anywho...To all those in this stage! good luck you are so close to being done!
  • NthnButMoonshine
    Options
    Wanted to wish you ladies lots of luck this week!

I probably wont make it to the gym until Friday or Monday at the earliest. I have an upper respiratory infection I just cant seem to shake. Went to the doc this morning and Im on round 2 of antibiotics. Since Im moving at a turtle's pace to avoid horrid coughing fits and get winded lifting my butt off the couch, I dont think the gym is a good place for me...aside from the obvious germ sharing issue.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Allikat, I hope this week is better for you.
    viblanco, congrats on almost being finished! You must feel like a rock star!
    Nthn, I hope you're better soon. There's so much crap going around right now. I know you have kids that like to *share* things with you too.

Did 2B today. I really like this workout. Had to take 30 sec breaks because the 17 month old was SCREAMING the entire time (the kids play room is next to the weight room at my gym). I was totally worn out by the end. I did the push press with this long 50lb dumbbell/barbell thingy and it was nice. It wasn't as awkward as the Oly bar but did not require as much grip strength as the dumbbells so it was a win/win.
  • allikat819
    Options
    I've got my 3rd A workout tomorrow, and I'm really hoping it goes better than last time! I think overall I prefer the A workout -- Or maybe it's just that I REALLY hate that push press!
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Started stage 6 yesterday. I really think I'll be doing "real" pushups soon!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Allikat, you can have my neg chin-ups and I'll take your push-presses!
    Elg, welcome to Stage 6. Hope you enjoy it!

So reading back through this thread I saw that some people are using the chin-up/dips machine. I think I might try that tomorrow and give myself a little assistance so I can actually work the muscles like I should instead of just dropping like a rock.
  • allikat819
    Options
    cowgirl - that is a great idea. Unfortunately, it's not a piece of equipment that I have available to me.

I think I'm at a disadvantage on this one, because I do have a good 30 - 40 pounds I could stand to lose. All that extra weight makes those negative chin ups HARD.

Let me know if you try it!
  • NthnButMoonshine
    Options
    Just dropping in to say hello and see how you gals are doing this week.

Cowgirl, I dont know how you get anything done working out next to the childcare! Id be more worried about what's going on with my kids than what Im supposed to be doing. Kudos to you for having the focus to hone in on what you need to be doing at the moment and then turning focus to your child when you had your break. That is fantastic!

Allikat - Dont give up on the neg chins! Even if you drop like a rock and still cant complete a single chin up at the end, you are still building valuable fat burning muscle along the journey!! Hang in there! (Pun not intended!)

Elg - Welcome to stage 6!

Im hoping to return to the gym on Monday, but that might be a stretch. I checked in with my doc (his request) midweek and he wasnt impressed with the progress I made on the other antibiotic. He switched me over to a third one and although my chest is feeling some relief, my head and ears are not clearing at all. Im hoping that will change over the next few days. The mind is willing, but the body, at this point, is weak.