Stage 6 Questions (optional stage)

Options

Replies

• bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I started NROLFW back in August and just did my first stage 6 B workout this morning. Whew! I did 6A1 on Sunday and was still feelings the DOMS, especially in my arms, when I went to the gym this morning. Judging how I feel right now, I don't think my DOMS are going to go away anytime soon ;)
  • allikat819
    allikat819 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bethad - that sounds about right! After my first A workout I was sore for almost a full week after! Welcome to Stage 6 - Overall I liked it, but I'm looking forward to moving on :-)
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Yeah for you Alli!!! I think Id be alright with my times too if Id just moved. You'll have to look for the rest of us when we join you over on the Stage 7 thread.

Ebay - Sounds like a good plan with the neg chin and the weights.

I will probably not finish Stage 6 until next week even though I only have one each of A and B left. Unfortunately I am on my 4th round of antibiotics and dealing with an asthma flare. I dont feel to crummy, it just seems to be a "smoldering sinus infection" that doesnt want to go away at this point, but the asthma is really bugging me. Normally I only carry a rescue inhaler and the only time I need it is when I push just a little to hard at the gym. Lately Ive been using my resuce twice a day or better. So Im back on a daily inhaler and it will take several days for my lungs to calm back down. Until then, its probably not wise to get myself all wound up. Im scared my azz is starting to take on the shape of my couch! :laugh:

Ugh, feel better!

I'm also really close to finishing (I have 2 of the "B" workouts and 1 "A" left) but my plans to get to the gym keep being thwarted by a husband out of state for work, sick kiddo and snowstorms.

Hoping I can at least wrap it up by sometime next week.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Nthn, i hope youre better by now! Ebaymommy, I'm in the same boat. Things just keep coming up!

I am just going to skip the last two workouts and go to Stage 7. I've been sick the past few days and haven't been able to go to the gym. Think I will just count this as a between stage break and move on as much as i hate to not finish something. I will try to start Saturday or Monday if I feel ok.

Stats:
    Workout A
    Neg chin-up: 0 secs-4 secs
    Ulpd: 70-80lbs
    BSS: 65lbs-95lbs
    Push-ups: pause on bench- pause for two secs on floor for two sets

Workout B
    Reverse lunge: 25- 27.5 lbs
    Two point row: 32.5-37.5 lbs
    Push-press: 50 lbs-65lbs
    Back extension: 25 lbs-35lbs
    Incline crunch: least incline possible struggling- better form on least incline
  • allikat819
    Options
    I'm headed for my last Stage 6 workout! See you guys in stage 7!
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Anyone else experience elbow pain in this stage? It started during the first 6A workout and hurts every time I turn it a certain way and of course every time I lift any kind of weight, even my purse. As you can imagine, the negative pull ups are killing me!
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just started Stage 6 today. It was good. VERY short though. Am I reading this right that we do TEN SETS of lat pulldowns at 2 reps per set? Because I felt like I was hogging the machine (well I was). 60 second rests alone = 10 minutes minimum at the machine! I had no problem doing my negative chin-ups and I was seriously have anxiety about this for the past few days. I am short, so I used the assisted pull-up machine. It has 2 steps that make it easy to reach the bars. I did not use the assist part. Very proud of myself for these!

Barbell lunges. I like them, but only did the Oly bar (45 lbs). I'm worried about my knees hurting. Also 45 was tougher on one side than the other. So I will build slowly on this one. I actually envisioned starting at 65 here. Oh well!

Controversial - I did something to my elbow last summer playing tennis. I assume it was tennis elbow. Hurt terribly but eventually went away. I felt it twinge once during stage 2/4 when we did underhand lats. And it hurt a bit again today after doing lat pulldowns. It was just a twinge of the previous pain and went away. But I'm really nervous about hurting my elbow again. I don't know if it's due to poor form or what...?
  • NthnButMoonshine
    NthnButMoonshine Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm headed for my last Stage 6 workout! See you guys in stage 7!

Alli, way to go girlie! I lied, I had 6B4, 6A5, 6B5 to go. (Did 6B4 today.) With any luck (and lots of health!) I will finish this week and see you over on the Stage 7 board next week. Best wishes to you and I cannot WAIT to join you over there!!!!
  • NthnButMoonshine
    NthnButMoonshine Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just started Stage 6 today. It was good. VERY short though. Am I reading this right that we do TEN SETS of lat pulldowns at 2 reps per set? Because I felt like I was hogging the machine (well I was). 60 second rests alone = 10 minutes minimum at the machine! I had no problem doing my negative chin-ups and I was seriously have anxiety about this for the past few days. I am short, so I used the assisted pull-up machine. It has 2 steps that make it easy to reach the bars. I did not use the assist part. Very proud of myself for these!

Kmsairam - Yup, you read it right. It's 10 sets x 2 reps. on the UGLP. I feel like Im hoggin the machine too, but wait until you get to the 15 sec rest between sets and it will FLY by. Anywho, welcome to the Stage 6 board! :)

Controversial - I dont have an answer for you, I just wanted to welcome you to Stage 6 and wish you lots of luck!! :)
  • allikat819
    Options

Kmsairam - Yup, you read it right. It's 10 sets x 2 reps. on the UGLP. I feel like Im hoggin the machine too, but wait until you get to the 15 sec rest between sets and it will FLY by. Anywho, welcome to the Stage 6 board! :)

Controversial - I dont have an answer for you, I just wanted to welcome you to Stage 6 and wish you lots of luck!! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing you over there! The first two stage 7 workouts were brutal...
  • kmsairam
    Options
    OK first B workout in the bag. I wish I could get up the energy to lift 3 days a week like I did in the beginning. I might give it a try next week. I feel out of my lifting rhythm. I liked the B workout. I enjoy the dumbbell exercises. And the lunges seemed easy, but guess who's legs are killing her now? I used 20 lbs -- wasn't really sure where to start with those. I also opted to use the stand-up crunch thing instead of the incline reverse crunches. Someone suggested that a few pages back.
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Finished Stage 6 on Friday. Taking a few days off, will start stage 7 next week!
  • kmsairam
    Options
    Loving the short workouts. But MAN, my arms and legs are killing me. I didn't even hurt this bad after Stage 1. It's weird though because there aren't that many exercises.

Anyhoo, excited to get stronger!

Elg1982 - congrats for finishing. Onwards and upwards!
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Just finished the first A workout. Wow, I thought it'd be easy bc it was so short, NOT. I had to take a longer rest period between several of the exercises, I really haven't had to do that before. I did take 8 days off between Stages, so maybe I'm just a little out of practice, but wow, that was a good workout. My elbows also started hurting, right after the first negative chin up. I plan to take an ibuprofen momentarily. I put 40lbs on my bar for the split squat, that was tough! Had my heart pumping! I felt like I could do it, so I better push through then wimp out and lower the weight. I posted a negative chin up question in the forum, but in case someone reading this knows (looks like I'm alone, no ones posted in 3 weeks) are we supposed to hold 20 seconds, then lower. Or is the slow lowering supposed to be part of the 20 seconds? I tried to do a regular pull up at the end of this workout, couldn't do it.
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    Man I was SO sore for about 4 days! I did 2A today, my elbows didn't hurt at all this time, I was surprised. We'll see how sore I am tomorrow. So on the negative chin ups. I lowered slowly over 17-20 seconds each time. Man that's hard. I'm going to try adding 5 pounds next workout. Those split squats are tough too for some reason for me.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    I am doing Stage 6B workout 2 today. I love how short the workouts are! I did hurt my shoulder doing pushups so I have been doing them on my knees instead. Oh well... I feel VERY strong!
  • FootsoreRambler
    FootsoreRambler Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just did my first stage 6 workout yesterday. Short but sweet! The reverse pullups were no problem -- I'm going to have to add weight. :)

The split squat is tough on my trailing foot. I feel like I need to work on ankle flexibility for those.
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Just started Stage 6 this week (finished 6B1 about 10 minutes ago). I am also CRAZY sore from 6A1 - way more so than from other stages.

I am super envious of all of you who started off feeling like the negative chin-ups were a breeze! In 6A1 I lowered as slowly as I could...5 seconds :frown: That said, I have a past of serious shoulder/upper back issues (have spent time in PT and now addressing tight but weak muscles with weights, stretching and regular massage, doing my best to avoid rotator cuff flare-ups...). I'm very hopeful that this stage will help finally start to get my shoulders and upper back towards "normal" again. We'll see if I can extend my negative chin-ups to 20sec plus weight before the end of 6A5.
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    How's it going with everyone? I've had my diet super in check lately and it's really showing, I'm happy.

I struggle with the negative chin ups too. At first I thought you were supposed to hold yourself up for 20 seconds then lower slowly, not that you were supposed to take 20 seconds to slowly lower. Once I realized that and did it correctly, it was tough, and I wasn't able to add weight until 4A, and then I could only get 5-10 seconds instead of 20, but now the stage is over, I think I might do an extra workout or two of each before I go to stage 7.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi!!!!!! I'm starting stage 6 this week...haven't looked at it, but a little worried about the whole pull up thing!!! Also, I was just reading some of your posts about the split squat...don't know if I can do those because I still have an injury from stage 4 bulgarian SS....!