Stage 6 Questions (optional stage)

Options

Replies

• Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I don't think of myself short at 5'6'', but you should se me climb up on the chin up rack. The assist machine actually has plenty of little steps on it to get up on top, but not the rack. I jump grab the bar, then use my feet on the support bar to climb to the top. Visualize using your feel to climb a wall lol. So if I want to bang out a real chin up, do I start in the lowest hanging position? Hitting the gym for 6b4 tonight.
    Yeah, but I'm 4' 10 1/2". I have zero ways of using that machine.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Hi all! Starting stage 6 tomorrow. I want to get into the gym over this weekend for both of my first workouts so its not as crowded, particularly to try the negative chin-up! We will see how it goes....
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Sick all week :-( Will get back on track next week with workout 3A
  • ellie78
    Options
    Question-how is everyone warming up for the negative chin up? Would some push-ups against the wall be good?
  • ellie78
    Options
    Holy workout! Just got back from my first A workout and that was seriously tough! I think I looked a bit comical doing the negative chin up. Even with the highest stool I still had to jump to get myself up into the starting position (I am also not short at 5'7) and then I was swinging like mad because I jumped so I had to fully extend my legs to try and stop the swinging and stabilize myself and then could finally do the move! I don't know if it was the moves or how silly I looked but today was the first time I really noticed a lot of the guys watching me, I assume its because they were so impressed :happy:

Here's my starting numbers-

Neg chin up- 8 seconds
    Lat pulldown-80 lbs
    Split squat- 65 lbs
    push ups-all sets completed at a 45 degree incline (these are my nemesis, I will try to get down to the floor next time)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Definitely impressed lol. Not too many ladies get up on the chin up bar at all. I had another girl compliment me. You are powerful.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Just started S6 today. I used the chin-up assist machine for the negative pull-ups--it was awkward as all get out (but helped that I was there at 5:25 am, and NO ONE was staring at me). I'd mastered the process by the third set and managed about 10-12 secs for that one (counting in my head isn't the most accurate!). I'm annoyed that pushups are still so hard for me...but I did do the two sets of 10 on the floor with the 2 sec pause. I just wish I could get my nose to the ground at this point. Nope! LOVED the short workout. I was able to add 30 mins on the elliptical, plus stretching, and still get out the door in an hour. Perfect...

Oh, question: For the split squats, do you do one set with one leg forward and one set with the other leg forward?
  • jenniet04
    Options
    Dandelion - yes for each leg forward on the split squat.

Still not feeling well so not sure if I'm going to get any workouts in this week. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.
  • dandelion39
    Options
    Sorry you're not feeling well, Jennie :(

So not to be too dense, but just one set per forward leg, right? Not two sets per leg?
  • jenniet04
    Options
    So 1 set = right leg forward, then left leg forward. So if you're doing 2 sets of 8 you do 8 with right leg forward and 8 with left leg forward for one set, then do it again for the 2nd set. That way you're even on both sides each set.
  • ellie78
    Options
    Just did my first B workout and tonight and boy was that short! The gym was super crowded too, I forgot they closed early yesterday so I think more people were in there than normal. This guy was doing some crazy and extremely long workout on the back extension thing so I had to resort to using the back extension circuit training machine. I also couldn't get a bench so I just did my reverse crunches on the floor but I don't feel like it worked very well. I'll do my next one this weekend so hopefully I can get all of the equipment I need. I'm really liking how much arm work this stage has, though. I'm pretty sure I will have the best arms ever by the time this is done!
  • dandelion39
    Options
    Thanks, Jennie--I guess I only did one real set then! Bummer.

Ellie, I hate it when the gym is crowded. I resent anyone who uses any of "my" equipment or even an area I want to move to!

My arms from my wrists to shoulders and my entire chest wall are sore today after 1A yesterday. I don't think my chest has ever been sore before. I'm hoping I'll get pumped up there ;) I could use a little extra development in that department!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    When I start Phase 6 next week, I think I'm gonna have to use the chin up machine to do the negative chin ups. I'm 5'2" and the machines that have pull up bars are dual use and always have people on them since they're weight machines too. I'm excited to be starting a new stage, Stage 5 has gone REALLY slowly because I was pretty busy in August, got sick for an entire week, and traveled. At least Stage 6 will let me get more cardio in. I've put on like 5 lbs from the summer and letting my eating and drinking get a bit out of hand. I need the extra cardio to get those few pounds off again. I'm thinking I'll take up running on the treadmill again (and outside if the weather is nice).
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    FINALLY!!! Finished Stage 6A. I did 2 Chin up!! Not from completely relaxed though. Hey the men don't!. I went down until just before my elbows would lock and maintained tension. I could have done some more half-a$$ed ones. but I didn't want be a poser.
    Final WO A Stats:
    2 Chin ups and full 20 on negatives
    10 reps of 110 lbs on under lat pull
    10 reps of 55 lbs on Split squats
    12 full pushup per set.
  • dandelion39
    Options
    Nice work, Sam! I'm so impressed by the pull-up!

Welcome back, Trayn. It's really nice to have a little extra cardio time, I agree.

Jennie (or was it Ellie who asked?)--in terms of warm-ups, I just warm up on the treadmill or elliptical. I've never done the warm-ups in the book, or worried too much about it. Bad, I know, but it hasn't been a problem. I think push-ups against the wall would be fine, though.

Did my first B workout today, and liked it--though I was surprised at how little weight I could hold up in the lunge with dumbell on shoulder (really, held at about ear height) move. My left shoulder is STILL frustratingly weak. And after reading the NROLAbs book, I'm doubting the efficacy of crunches (also, the incline crunches are so awkward). Next time, much as I hate them, I may sub in planks.
  • ellie78
    Options
    Yes, that was me who asked about the warm-ups! I've been doing the elliptical as well and it has been fine for me but I was worried it wouldn't be enough of an arm workout but so far no issues.

I also find the reverse crunch a very awkward move, I ended up just sticking with jackknives instead of bumping up to the that in the other stages with the ab work. I wonder if it would be comparable to use that leg lift apparatus instead? Not sure what its called, the one that looks like a big chair without a seat where you balance on your arms and your feet hang down free?
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Yes, that was me who asked about the warm-ups! I've been doing the elliptical as well and it has been fine for me but I was worried it wouldn't be enough of an arm workout but so far no issues.

I also find the reverse crunch a very awkward move, I ended up just sticking with jackknives instead of bumping up to the that in the other stages with the ab work. I wonder if it would be comparable to use that leg lift apparatus instead? Not sure what its called, the one that looks like a big chair without a seat where you balance on your arms and your feet hang down free?

I'm using that chair thing in Stage 5 right now. I forget which exercise I use it in, but if you hold your legs out straight in front of you when you raise them, it's tough! Definitely works the abs and lower back muscles quite a bit. I'll likely do that instead of the incline crunches. My gym only has one weight bench thing for doing those and it's perpetually occupied by guys. The big chair thing is less popular (and since it's hard I know why!)
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say hello! I'm getting ready to begin stage 6 on saturday.
  • dandelion39
    Options
    Trayn and Ellie, thanks for the input on the crunches.

Welcome to stage 6 Austelle! It's fun, so far...and I'm really impressed we've all come so far!
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I did Stage 6 Workout A 1 today. Loved it! I added in some intervals afterward because it was so incredibly short.

Let me get this straight though, the underhand lat pulldown is 10 sets of 2 reps each with a 60 second break in between? This is what I did.

I was THRILLED to hop up onto that chin up bar and discover that I could easily hold myself up there for 20 seconds! I added a weight belt with a 10 lb dumbbell and that definitely made it more challenging. Ha ha, I had to ask the girl at the front desk if she knew if the gym had a belt and together we messed around with it to figure out how to put it on...I was glad there were no guys around to laugh at me :)

Here's what I did:

negative chin-up: 20 seconds with 10 lb weight
    underhand lat pulldown: 100 lbs
    barbell split squat: 45 lbs
    push up: 2nd notch from bottom on smith machine....ugh, I am still such a push up wimp.