Stage 6 Questions (optional stage)

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,948 Member
    Options
    I will start this stage on Friday. I will work-out with personal trainer on Friday, to walk me through "A", Stage 6. And then again with personal trainer on Monday, to walk me through "B", Stage 6.

I am *excited*!!
  • kneubee7
    kneubee7 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started this stage last week. So far I really enjoy it because the workouts are tough, it's shorter than most of the other stages and it mixes up sets and reps each week! I don't think I'll be doing pull ups quite yet but I'm getting closer!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I met with my personal trainer, today. We went through 5 of the exercises, in Stage 6 - that I hadn't been exposed to, before. I *did* ask my trainer if I could just *try* a pull-up, to see if I could do it. He said, "No".

Bummer.

Anyway, I kind of pulled that same back/shoulder/neck area, AGAIN!, when trying the negative chin-up. It didn't rip, but it *did* charley-horse on me. So, I spent a GOOD portion of my hour of (paid for) personal training rolling on that spot. Dammit.

Anyway, I got through the 5 exercises....it all looks good. I think the "push-presses" seem like the LEAST "intuitive" exercises for me....the whole "get ready to jump, but then DON'T jump..." stuff is just confusing! My body is CONFUSED....anyway, personal trainer says I'm going to low into the squat, before I press up. He says body should remain closer to standing than closer to 90 degrees....I've obviously (still!) got lots of room for improvement.

Also, the incline reverse crunch was HARD. H-A-R-D-. I had to drop the bench back to 15 degrees because 30 just felt AWFUL. Sheesh.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I did my first "B" workout, from start-to-finish, today. (I had to start with "B" because of my shoulder/neck/back injury, I cannot do the negative chin-ups in "A".)

I REALLY LIKED "B" WORKOUT. Really. Tons and lots. I think this is going to be SUCH a fun stage....am really looking forward to the whole thing!
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hey Beeps! Good to see you here again! I've done two workouts of each A and B so far in this stage, and I have to agree that the push press is not exactly natural feeling to me. It does seem to really work my shoulders and biceps though. I like this stage, but I don't love it. I want to get back to back squats and dead lifts! I don't feel like my legs are getting as much of a workout as my upper body is.

I'm truly amazed at the strength of some of the other women on this board, doing unassisted chin ups and such! I'm hoping to be able to do at least one soon!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hi Christy, I'm glad to see you here!

I'm not sure how excited I am to get back to squats (my very least favourite of all exercises)....but, I was enjoying the deadlifts! It can ALL wait as I hunt down the elusive unassisted chin-up, lol!

I did my second "A" work-out today. I did manage 3 negative chin-ups, but I could only hold for 15 seconds on the way down - not 20. So, there's room for improvement! Still am not doing push-ups on the floor - so there's room for improvement there, too. I did go up in the weights for my split-squat and I threw in some glute bridges, curtsy lunges, planks and cobras for good measure!
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Ok, just finished stage 5. I STILL cannot decide if I want to do stage 6. I am interested in the pull ups.

Now we move on to the barbell split squat. How are all of you doing this? Do you have a spotter? I afraid I will fall on my A**.:blushing:

Any input from the ladies who are doing this stage?
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm starting Stage 6 tomorrow, and just dropping in to say 'hello', but I'm getting a loud echo in this big, empty room! Is there anybody there....?
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Just did my first workout A, and I'm so excited as I managed the negative chin-ups. Didn't think I would be able to cope with them at all, so was delighted to be able to do 3 straight off. Lasted 12 seconds on each one, hoping to build up to 20 seconds. Not so sure about doing them with weights though. I'm working out at home and don't have a lat pull-down machine of any kind, so did assisted pull-ups (thanks for the suggestion Jen). Hmm. They were very assisted. I've decided that my new ambition in life is to do one unassisted pull-up.

The other two exercises were fine. The second set of the BB split squat was a lot easier than the first. I managed 52lbs, which seems very light compared to the barbell weight I was using earlier in the programme, but it did challenge my thighs, for sure.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Just started stage 6 too! I did the first negative chin up without extra weight but was able to last 20 seconds so I added a belt with a 5 lbers - wasn't quite getting to 20 seconds there so working on that.

Plus the workout was SHORT! Woo hoo.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Just started stage 6 too! I did the first negative chin up without extra weight but was able to last 20 seconds so I added a belt with a 5 lbers - wasn't quite getting to 20 seconds there so working on that.

Plus the workout was SHORT! Woo hoo.

Wow! 20lbs, then extra weight - I'm SO impressed!

Yes, I agree about the length of the workout, but B looks long in comparison.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Just did workout B. I'm SO glad I decided to do this stage - it's my favourite. I actively enjoyed this evening's workout; I guess it must be the greater upper body emphasis.

The DB push press was the most difficult for me. I managed 24.5lb dumbbells (approximately - I'm translating from kilos), but couldn't do the full ten. However, I like it when I feel I've reached the point of failure - it's when I feel I'm doing it properly.

The reverse lunge with DB on shoulder was odd; the lunges themselves were easy, but I couldn't get a heavier weight up on my shoulder (got stuck at about 30lbs).
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Was the first workout really, really short for you guys? Like, so short it made you nervous? :)

And my badonkadonk is sore, which hasn't happened in ages. Thank you barbell split squats!!

ETA: I'm so jealous of you guys - I thought I was adding strength, but I'm not sure I'll get a full pull up before the end of the phase. <sad face>

Anyone still struggling with grip strength?
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Was the first workout really, really short for you guys? Like, so short it made you nervous? :)

And my badonkadonk is sore, which hasn't happened in ages. Thank you barbell split squats!!

ETA: I'm so jealous of you guys - I thought I was adding strength, but I'm not sure I'll get a full pull up before the end of the phase. <sad face>

Anyone still struggling with grip strength?

First of all, sorry to hear about your sore badonkadonk! (I love that word - first time I've come across it; I'm British, you see ;-) )

Yes, the workout seemed really short to me too, and even though it looks like a lot more, workout B didn't seem to last much longer either. Maybe we've been led to expect long, long workouts after those earlier stages?

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do a pull-up (ever); negative chin-ups are an awful lot easier compared to pull-ups.

I don't seem to be having a grip problem in this stage, but my poor little weak wrists are struggling. I so need that personal assistant to spot me when required.
  • stephl81
    stephl81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Started Stage 6 this week after taking my first official break between the stages. I agree the workouts are short. Workout B was only 20 mins! It took me 12 seconds to do the negative chin ups but I cant wait to add the belt (mainly cuz I wanna look cool). Also the reverse lunch with one dumbbell, is that dumbbell on your shoulder, like resting on it, or are you holding up like you are going to do a press? I could only do 20lbs because I was holding it like I was going to do a press.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Started Stage 6 this week after taking my first official break between the stages. I agree the workouts are short. Workout B was only 20 mins! It took me 12 seconds to do the negative chin ups but I cant wait to add the belt (mainly cuz I wanna look cool). Also the reverse lunch with one dumbbell, is that dumbbell on your shoulder, like resting on it, or are you holding up like you are going to do a press? I could only do 20lbs because I was holding it like I was going to do a press.

Re; reverse lunge, that was exactly my dilemma. Because I felt I should be holding the weight up (it looks like that in the picture, doesn't it?), I stayed low on the weight. When I thought about it afterwards, I decided that as it is mainly designed to work the legs, it is more important to have a higher weight so I'm going to go with resting on the shoulder next time.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    2nd Workout A done this evening.

I need a drum roll for this .... I did 20 second negative chin ups!!! I couldn't believe it myself - so proud, lol!

I then tried to do a (positive?) chin up, and managed one, but not starting with straight arms, so really only a half (I started from a bench which already had me raised a bit).

Upped the weights on the barbell split squat, did loads of assisted pull-ups (assisted by having my feet stretched out on a bench in front of me - this is instead of lat pull-downs), and managed 2 sets of 8 push-ups with 2 second pauses when down.

Altogether feeling quite smug! :bigsmile:
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    2nd Workout A done this evening.

I need a drum roll for this .... I did 20 second negative chin ups!!! I couldn't believe it myself - so proud, lol!

I then tried to do a (positive?) chin up, and managed one, but not starting with straight arms, so really only a half (I started from a bench which already had me raised a bit).

Upped the weights on the barbell split squat, did loads of assisted pull-ups (assisted by having my feet stretched out on a bench in front of me - this is instead of lat pull-downs), and managed 2 sets of 8 push-ups with 2 second pauses when down.

Altogether feeling quite smug! :bigsmile:

Nice job!! :)
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Not so smug tonight - did Workout B for the second time and had to go down on the weights in the 3rd sets. And @steph, I re-read the book on the reverse lunges, and it seemed to say the dumbbell should be ABOVE the shoulder. So I lowered the weight for that too.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    I've been all the way through until now without any DOMS to speak of, but this stage has given me some. Finally I feel like I've been working properly!