Stage 6 Questions (optional stage)

Options

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    First workout done! YAY! So glad to be done in 30 min.! I added Tabatas at the end!

Do you do negative chin ups or just regular chin up?
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Do you do negative chin ups or just regular chin up?
    I would LIKE to do it the way the book instructs: negative chin-up for 20 seconds; adding weight when 20 sec is no longer a challenge. But, I can't figure out how to use the damn belt (when I can find it, that is). It's way too big to fit around my waist and it doesn't seem to adjust small enough. So for now, on 1st set I'm doing negative chin-up for 60 seconds. Next two sets I'm doing regular chin-ups, as many reps as I can do. If/when I can figure out how to use the belt, I will do negative chin-ups with increasing weight each workout.

How about you?
  • deninevi
    Options
    Today I did regular chin ups, but next time I'm on WO A, I'll do negatives-the same as you. You can use back pack stuffed with weighted plate if you can't find the belt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyfKx-d613o a video I found for a belt. HTH!
  • bizco
    Options
    deni, thank you very much for taking the time to post the video. You rock! The belt at my gym isn't like the one in the video..no chain to adjust. If I can find the belt next time I do WOA, I'll ask one of the guys to help me. Otherwise I'll continue to do regular chin-ups. The back pack is a good idea but it's too much of a hassle to bring into the weight room. It's technically against gym rules too. Plus, I don't know if the larger (25+ lbs.) dumbbells/plates would fit and/or not break the straps.
  • deninevi
    Options
    I didn't even think that the gym may not allow stuff from outside. Does your gym have the weights you put on your ankles? I'll try that one next time. I have to jump to the chin up bar to do the negatives and a belt with a plate hanging may not be the best for me. :) Good luck!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,947 Member
    Options
    You ladies are STRONG!

Can I ask: could you do a chin-up PRIOR to NROL4W?

Also, could you explain "holding for 60 seconds"? That means your grip must be seriously strong by now, too??
  • deninevi
    Options
    I couldn't do a chin up before. Now I want to do more than one rep. :)

Beeps, you start from the top-chest to the bar and then try to hold as long as you can and get down as slow as you can. Time it and there you have it-negative chin up for time. bizco is super woman holding for 60 secs! How are you doing with NROL? How are the squats?
  • bizco
    Options
    Finished another WOA today. I was able to find the belt and a couple of guys helped me figure out how to hang dumbbells from it but the light weights (5-12 lbs.) won't work as the collars are not big enough to hang without falling out. Plus, I also have to jump to reach the chin-up bar so hanging larger dumbbells probably won't work either.

During this whole monkeying around with the belt thing, the two guys that were helping me told me a funny NSV. They were under the impression that I needed the belt to do dips using the ASSISTED dip machine. I told them I would forget using the belt to do negative chin-ups and just do as many regular chin-ups as I could. One guy said, "Oh, snap!" After I did 4 chin-ups, the other guy said "Wow, you're really strong, most women and a lot of men can't even do one." They made my day!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Ohhhh, denine, thank you for explaining the "negative chin-up". I appreciate that! And, good for you for doing them.

bizco - awesome for sure!

My squats are MUCH-IMPROVED! I'm getting down to parallel. As soon as I up the weight (too much), though, I can't get down there. Some days are better than others. Let's just say I'm glad I'm in Stage 2, with the push-press, because the weight is lighter, anyway, and I'm pretty good at the press-up part!

My lunges are MUCH IMPROVED.

I guess it all goes to show that "practice makes perfect". Today I have to weigh and measure to keep up with my promises for fitness challenges that I entered (on other forums). So, I'll have a good idea of how Month 1 went. At end of Month 2 is a trip to Hawaii, so eye is DEFINITELY on that prize. And then, I have a few months to REALLY GET MY STRONG ON!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm totally gonna do this optional stage, though. Once I get my push-up down, the chin-up (and negatives!) are on my *list* of 2012 goals!!
  • deninevi
    Options
    Finished another WOA today. I was able to find the belt and a couple of guys helped me figure out how to hang dumbbells from it but the light weights (5-12 lbs.) won't work as the collars are not big enough to hang without falling out. Plus, I also have to jump to reach the chin-up bar so hanging larger dumbbells probably won't work either.

During this whole monkeying around with the belt thing, the two guys that were helping me told me a funny NSV. They were under the impression that I needed the belt to do dips using the ASSISTED dip machine. I told them I would forget using the belt to do negative chin-ups and just do as many regular chin-ups as I could. One guy said, "Oh, snap!" After I did 4 chin-ups, the other guy said "Wow, you're really strong, most women and a lot of men can't even do one." They made my day!

Haha, those guys were in for a surprise! So funny! All I wanna know is why in the world would they think you need a belt for the assisted dip. 4 chin ups is amazing! Way to go and stick it to the boys!
  • deninevi
    Options
    Ohhhh, denine, thank you for explaining the "negative chin-up". I appreciate that! And, good for you for doing them.

bizco - awesome for sure!

My squats are MUCH-IMPROVED! I'm getting down to parallel. As soon as I up the weight (too much), though, I can't get down there. Some days are better than others. Let's just say I'm glad I'm in Stage 2, with the push-press, because the weight is lighter, anyway, and I'm pretty good at the press-up part!

My lunges are MUCH IMPROVED.

I guess it all goes to show that "practice makes perfect". Today I have to weigh and measure to keep up with my promises for fitness challenges that I entered (on other forums). So, I'll have a good idea of how Month 1 went. At end of Month 2 is a trip to Hawaii, so eye is DEFINITELY on that prize. And then, I have a few months to REALLY GET MY STRONG ON!!

Great progress! I hope you get to where you want to be for that vacation! Great motivation!
  • deninevi
    Options
    I'm loving the short WO! Gives me more time to do fun things at the end of the WO.
  • bizco
    Options
    I'm loving the short WO! Gives me more time to do fun things at the end of the WO.
    I here ya. But with all the upper body work we're doing, I'm concerned about my legs. So I added 3 sets each of barbell squats and deadlifts at the end of workout A today. I think I'll add some other leg exercises to workout B too. I'm kinda missing those step-ups and Bulgarian split squats. Or if I'm feeling really good (and crazy) I might do the body matrix at the end of each workout. Sick, I know. :huh:
  • deninevi
    Options
    I did add squats too and miss the deads so much that I do them sometimes as well. I've been out of the gym with a cold for 4 days now. I miss workouts! I hope to be able to get back to it tomorrow.Oohh, Bulgarian split squats-I almost forgot about those! I used to hate them at first. I'll be skipping the body matrix-you are a better woman than me. I just hate it!
  • bizco
    Options
    I'm off to the gym to finish my last workout in Stage 6!

Thanks to this stage I'm very happy with my strength relative to my body weight. Doing 3 sets of regular chin-ups starting in the down position (hanging from the bar) I was able to do 4 chin-ups in the first and second sets, then 3 chin-ups in the last set, resting 60 seconds between sets. This is more than twice as many as when I first started stage 6.

Throughout this entire stage guys were complimenting me on my strength and determination to conquer this intimidating lift. It felt awesome!

It's very comforting to know that if I ever found myself in a situation that would require reaching up and lifting my entire body up & over something, I could do it. When I finish NROL4W, I will incorporate chin-ups as part of my lifting routine.

Best of luck to all women who choose to complete this stage. I loved it!
  • deninevi
    Options
    bizco, great job! What an awesome progress! Way to go on finishing stage 6! I have 3 more WO in this stage. See you in stage 7! Good luck!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Way to go, bizco!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    anyone else doing this right now?
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Me! I'm just finishing up.