Stage 7 Questions (the final countdown)

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Two more WOs in stage 6 and I'll be here. The WOs look fun, but we will see for sure Monday!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Two more WOs in stage 6 and I'll be here. The WOs look fun, but we will see for sure Monday!

They are brutal LOL. Have fun
  • deninevi

They are brutal LOL. Have fun

Love your new pic! You look awesome! Don't scare me! :)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    I completed workout 1 today and I thought I was going to die. I had brief periods of nausea and light-headedness. Between sets 3 and 4 of the B exercises I had to rest closer to 60 seconds because my heart rate was very high. Here are my stats:

Squats: 105 lbs. for 8 reps each set. I could have lifted more so I'll increase the weight next time.
    Lunges: pair of 20 lb. dumbbells for 15 reps (each leg) each set. No way could I have done more.
    Pushups: 15 regular pushups first set, then 30 degree pushups for sets 2-4; 15 reps each. I'll increase the 30 degree reps next time.
    Deadlift: 75 lbs. for 15 reps each set. I could have lifted more so I'll increase the weight next time.
    Rows: pair of 20 lb. dumbbells for 15 reps each set. It's doubtful I could have lifted heavier so I'll increase the reps next time.

I do a pretty intense general warm-up before I start lifting so that probably zapped some of my energy. My future warm-ups will be milder. However, I always follow the book's instructions when doing the practice lifting sets.
  • deninevi
    O.k. I'm scared!! Well, I guess, they called this stage the final cut for a reason. Good luck, bizco!
  • bizco
    O.k. I'm scared!! Well, I guess, they called this stage the final cut for a reason. Good luck, bizco!
    Thank you deni! I look forward to hearing about your first workout.
  • bizco
    Word of caution...Do not attempt the barbell incline bench press without a spotter.

The reps are only 6-8 so I loaded up the barbell. I'm friendly with this guy who I see at the gym frequently so I asked him to spot me since it was the first time I ever did this lift. Damn good thing he was there, I might have been squished. Sadly, I had to remove 10 lbs. and the last rep was still VERY difficult to complete. Unfortunately I can't always count on having a spotter so I might have to lift lighter next time.
  • deninevi
    Thanks for the heads up! I almost got squished by the bar the other day on bench press(the second set of 6 with 85 prove to be too much for me)-I'm not very good at these! I have done incline couple of times, but not that much, so I'll not load up too much. Usually I work out by myself.
  • deninevi
    First WO done and oh, my oh, my! I think it will be a cut for sure. 15 reps. is h3ll!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Congrats, Deninevi! Can't wait to get to this stage; thanks for posting your progress.
  • bizco
    First WO done and oh, my oh, my! I think it will be a cut for sure. 15 reps. is h3ll!
    I agree. When I finish NROL4W and start another lifting program I won't be doing 15 reps. I've read many articles that say there is no reason to lift more than 12 reps, ever. It's better to increase the weight.
  • deninevi
    I was looking forward to stage 7, now I'm not. 15 reps. takes a lot out of me and I have to drop the weight, ghrrr! But for 5 more WOs will be fine.
  • deninevi
    WO 2 done! 4 sets of 15 reps are killing me!
  • bizco
    WO 2 done! 4 sets of 15 reps are killing me!
    But you look so awesome! Don't give up.
  • deninevi
    Thanks! I'm not giving up, but it's a little disappointing to go up on reps and down on weights. I guess I got used to the heavy weights! I do circuits type WOs on non lifting days, and I guess, then I know I need lower weight to finish all the reps, as with the NROLFW I got used to the heavy weights and when I have to drop them it's like back tracking. But I'm sticking with the program! I've got to hear, not gonna stop now! Bring it, 4 sets of 15 reps.!
    How are you doing with the whole 15 reps. thing?
  • bizco
    It's definitely a tough workout that keeps my heart rate up comparable to a hard cardio session, especially with such short rest periods. I haven't been able to increase the weight on the lunges, step-ups or lat pulldowns so I increased the reps to 16, just so I would feel like I'm progressing (ha!) Same with the 30 degree push-ups, now doing 19 reps. I was able to increase the weight on the dumbbell rows and Romanian deadlifts, 15 reps each.

I only have workout 6 left. I won't repeat this stage, which is an option pointed out in the book. I just don't think it's necessary to do so many reps. I'm not 100% sure what I'll do next but I'm thinking of designing a custom program using the exercises in NROL4W along with exercises in two other books I have, plus some found online. What are your plans?
  • deninevi
    I can't go up on weight either. On some things I do more than 15 reps. but not on much .The push ups-I start with 1 set 15 reps. on the floor, then do second set-10 on floor and 7-8 on bench, 3 set 6-7 on floor, 10 on bench and the last set is mainly on bench. I will not be repeating the stage either. I like the big lifts-deads are my fave. I want to work on squats and bench, chin up so I'll try to make a program for me that has the big lifts and the rest will see. I'll take a week off after I'm done with stage 7 and at the end of June I'm planing a trip to visit my parents in Europe, so I want to be in the best shape by then. I'm also scare of a month without a barbell, but I can do some body weight stuff, I guess.

Would you mind sharing your progress after NROLFW? I would love to hear what you will be doing and how it goes for you.
  • bizco
    Deni, Your trip sounds fantastic! In addition to bodyweight strength exercises you could buy a resistance band. They're portable and don't take up much space. You would probably need one with multiple bands so the resistance is high, since you're so strong now. :smile:

In preparation for summer, I'm going to attempt doing a "cut" as they say in the weight lifting world so I can lose around 5 lbs., hopefully 3-4 of that will be fat. This will be challenging since I'm used to eating around maintenance calories and my appetite has increased the further I progressed into NROL4W. Those new muscles require so much fuel!

I'll be checking in with this group from time to time and I also joined a group called "Women Strength Training" if you're interested in joining. Sadly, it doesn't appear as active as this group. It would be great to keep in touch with you to share our progress, training plans, etc. We can feel very proud for finishing this comprehensive program, especially doing multiple sets of chin-ups. We ROCK! I'm thrilled with the results in my body composition and strength. As a matter of fact, I think I'll rearrange my furniture today...by myself. (Ha!)
  • deninevi
    How does the new furniture arrangement look? :)

I want to do a "cut" too, but I don't even know how to do it, where to start, what to do. Would you go down on heavy lifting and up the " cardio"-my cardio is Tabata and KB complexes?

I'm done with stage 7, loved the program! May be I'll do a progress post here, later. I'm taking next week off the bar.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,103 Member
    Please do a progress post....I'm lurking all the time, here, lol!