Week 3

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I would DIE for a 12 minute pace on a 6 mile run. Actually, that just about what it would take.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Just wait until one of the C25k buddies posts "should I carb load before a 5k?" and you think "Three miles??? Seriously? This is NOT a big deal."

I am looking forward to the day when I think that!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm guessing about 6 more weeks.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    W3D2 in the books!

5.57 mi (+ 0.67 wu & cd)
    Run Pace 11:43

Fastest 1.8 mi interval pace 10:51 (WOW!)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    That is a WOW! Good job!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I completed C25K, today was W3D3 of 5K-to-10K, and this is the first run I did not complete. It was mostly mental. About mile 2 I was really feeling exhausted. About mile 2-1/2 I realized how thirsty I was (I had a throat lozenge so my mouth wasn't dry but I felt thirsty anyway) and my hamstrings & quads were kind of cramping. Nothing serious, but it was unusual. I plugged on a little longer and got to the bottom of a hill and I just psyched myself out. I run hills once a week that are much worse than this one, but I let it freak me out. I told myself I would walk to the top then run the rest of the way. When I got to the top I tried to run again and made it about 10 yards before stopping again. At that point my legs really were cramping and I was breathing pretty hard. I walked another half mile until I totally had my breath back then tried to jog it in but again made it only 30 yards or so and I just had to walk again.

Total Distance: 3.97 miles
    Avg. Speed: 12:56 min/mile

I am going to have to readjust my training schedule. The program called for me to do 4 miles this Saturday and 4 miles next Saturday. Did not complete it this Saturday, and next Saturday I'm running a 5k race so it won't happen then. The Saturday after that I'll go for 4 again. I guess that's setting me back two weeks but I guess I'm not in any hurry. I'm not registered for any 10Ks - just doing this program to keep improving and because I like to have a plan.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Saturday, I went to the local running store to get new inserts for my shoes. (I've got a spot on the ball of my foot that has been bothering me.) The salesperson said people often have calf pain the first few times with these inserts. I didn't have calf pain, but did have some thigh pain. Not too bad though.

Sunday, I finished week 3 day 3.

5.58 mi (+ .97 mi wu & cd)
    Overall pace: 11:33 (3 runs 1.8 mi ea and .1 mi walks in between)
    Fastest interval (1.8 mi) 11:04

Tomorrow, starting week 4. Will run my first official 5k on Saturday.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Beautiful morning today so I went for Week 3 Day 1. Three sets of 18 minutes running and 1 minute walking. Our second set was 9 minutes up the large hill and 9 minutes down. Fells and I completed all three sets without too much stress. I feel it in my legs now though. :smile:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Beautiful morning today so I went for Week 3 Day 1. Three sets of 18 minutes running and 1 minute walking. Our second set was 9 minutes up the large hill and 9 minutes down. Fells and I completed all three sets without too much stress. I feel it in my legs now though. :smile:

That's great! Awesome job, especially running up the large hill.
  • btsinmd
    Options
    Week 3 Day 2 down. Yeah! Wanted to quit almost from the time I started, but really had no problems finishing and was a tiny bit faster than I did in Day 1. Learned a lesson though. My kidney failure dog had a bit of a crisis last night so this morning I needed to get dressed, get Free settled, get to the vets office and pick up her medicine, go home and treat her and get her settled again, and then run. It was and will be a cool day in general so I wasn't too worried about starting my run late, but it just never occurred to me to eat. Normally I get up and out a little after dawn and today my run was closer to 10 am. Obvious to me now, but my energy level is a lot better at dawn than it is hours after I've been up and still haven't eaten.

Lesson learned. If you're not going to run for a few hours, eat!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Two weeks ago I posted that I did W3D3 and didn't complete it. The following week I did 3 miles on Monday and 2 on Wednesday as planned, then did a 5K race on Saturday instead of my usual training run. Those runs all felt good. This past week I struggled both with my trainer workouts and with my runs. Monday my 3 mile run became a 2.16 mile run with an .84 mile walk and Wednesday I ran 2 miles although I struggled through it. This morning I successfully ran 4 miles, and it was the best I felt all week running.

My weeks are kind of messed up, but I'm considering myself finally graduated from Week 3. :smile:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Week 3 Day 2 down. Yeah! Wanted to quit almost from the time I started, but really had no problems finishing and was a tiny bit faster than I did in Day 1. Learned a lesson though. My kidney failure dog had a bit of a crisis last night so this morning I needed to get dressed, get Free settled, get to the vets office and pick up her medicine, go home and treat her and get her settled again, and then run. It was and will be a cool day in general so I wasn't too worried about starting my run late, but it just never occurred to me to eat. Normally I get up and out a little after dawn and today my run was closer to 10 am. Obvious to me now, but my energy level is a lot better at dawn than it is hours after I've been up and still haven't eaten.

Lesson learned. If you're not going to run for a few hours, eat!

If I'm running later than usual I do eat, but I try to eat early enough to let it settle before my run.

Sorry to hear your dog had a tough night.
  • btsinmd
    Options
    Two weeks ago I posted that I did W3D3 and didn't complete it. The following week I did 3 miles on Monday and 2 on Wednesday as planned, then did a 5K race on Saturday instead of my usual training run. Those runs all felt good. This past week I struggled both with my trainer workouts and with my runs. Monday my 3 mile run became a 2.16 mile run with an .84 mile walk and Wednesday I ran 2 miles although I struggled through it. This morning I successfully ran 4 miles, and it was the best I felt all week running.

My weeks are kind of messed up, but I'm considering myself finally graduated from Week 3. :smile:

:happy: Yes, I think you did too.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options

Yay you! Definitely. Also, give yourself lots of room for a tough week after an event/race. It is really normal. I am still only doing easy and short runs after my 10k last week. It took a lot out of me and I need to give my body time :) Rock on!
  • btsinmd
    Options
    Week 3 Day 3 done. Yesterday I got new clothes; shirt, shorts, and shoes, and a waist pack for my phone. So today I wore all the new stuff. My new shoes are a full size larger than the ones I got in May and my toes definitely appreciate it. I might even be able to keep the toenail on the one I kept jamming.:smile:

Unfortunately I forgot to start my music before starting the running program and jamming my phone into the waist pack that just barely fits it. So I just went without music for the run.

A lot less bikes and joggers on the bike trail today compared to yesterday.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Week 3 Day 3 done. Yesterday I got new clothes; shirt, shorts, and shoes, and a waist pack for my phone. So today I wore all the new stuff. My new shoes are a full size larger than the ones I got in May and my toes definitely appreciate it. I might even be able to keep the toenail on the one I kept jamming.:smile:

Unfortunately I forgot to start my music before starting the running program and jamming my phone into the waist pack that just barely fits it. So I just went without music for the run.

Well done! I had a pair of trainers like those, lol, the new ones made a huge difference (and saves me having to cut my toesnails so often haha). How did you cope without your music?
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

Well done! I had a pair of trainers like those, lol, the new ones made a huge difference (and saves me having to cut my toesnails so often haha). How did you cope without your music?
    Also how did you like your waist pack? Was it comfortable to run with? Cool about the new clothes & shoes. They all make such a difference. I need more running socks.
  • btsinmd
    Options
    I definitely run slower without my music, but it wasn't too bad. I'm not going to forget again in the near future though.

I didn't particularly like the waist band, but I did like it better than what I had before. Although it wasn't tight I felt like it was pressing in on my side. I ended up pushing it up to just below my bra. It was much more comfortable there, but I probably looked ridiculous. This was just the first time. I might get used to it.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I definitely run slower without my music, but it wasn't too bad. I'm not going to forget again in the near future though.

I didn't particularly like the waist band, but I did like it better than what I had before. Although it wasn't tight I felt like it was pressing in on my side. I ended up pushing it up to just below my bra. It was much more comfortable there, but I probably looked ridiculous. This was just the first time. I might get used to it.

I found shorts at Target (Champion brand) that I really like for running. They hit just above the knee and the legs are fitted enough that the fabric doesn't bunch up when I run but they aren't clingy tight either. When I'm at the gym I don't worry that they're going to ride up or gape open and expose more than I want to expose when I'm doing bridges or whatever. Best part they have deep pockets so I can jam my phone all the way into my pocket when I run (which is nice when it's raining too). Before that I tried the compression arm band and hated it.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options

I found shorts at Target (Champion brand) that I really like for running. They hit just above the knee and the legs are fitted enough that the fabric doesn't bunch up when I run but they aren't clingy tight either. When I'm at the gym I don't worry that they're going to ride up or gape open and expose more than I want to expose when I'm doing bridges or whatever. Best part they have deep pockets so I can jam my phone all the way into my pocket when I run (which is nice when it's raining too). Before that I tried the compression arm band and hated it.

I am laughing because my first (and only) experience with a waist pack was exactly like yours! Right up under my bra.
    I have made peace with the armband and it doesn't bother me now. It barely fit my arm at first, but one of my NSV's is now I really have to tighten it up.

I haven't found shorts that I am comfortable running in. I haven't really been a shorts wearer for 10+ years, but I have been considering trying a pair. I will have to check Target next time I'm there. But the nearest one is 1 1/2 hours away.

Running longer distances means I need to find a way to carry hydration with me. But I hate feeling hindered by anything. I bought a hand held water bottle last week that straps to my hand and it was OK. I would have used it on my run today, but I couldn't find the strap. I was away for a week and the kids were home every day all day, needless to say, the house is a bit upside down. I'm hoping it turns up as I clean. :(