Our Pets---and other animals

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
I know that many of us have pets and I am always trying to remember who has which dog and who has cats and what the pets' names are so maybe if we have a thread with pet (and other animal info like the chickens and bees) we can keep this stuff straight

Brandy, the black standard poodle was born in July 2005. We got her as a puppy in October. she is a kisser and sleeps in our bed with us.

Sasha, the red standard poodle was born in June 2007. We got her as a puppy with a broken leg in November. She is a cuddler and likes to sleep with us.

I walk the dogs individually first thing every morning, and then together for 90 minutes after I have my breakfast.

Bernie, the part Maine coon cat was born in October 2006. His mother was a stray that a friend took in. We got him as a kitten in December. He likes to tease the dogs and look down on them from high places. He became an indoor cat in August when we moved to our new house. He likes to sleep with us and the dogs.

:heart: :heart: Barbie from NW Washington.

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,034 Member
    Options
    6468047953_357cc7f916_m.jpg
    daisy by Sandydur, on Flickr

Daisy Mae was born May 12, 2009. This is our 5th Old English Sheepdog, my husband had two when I met him and then after them we had two more, Buster and Bentley. Both had hip problems and had new hips put in while they were still young, this came from bad breeding. Bentley ended up with cancer in his rear leg and we had to have it amputated. He got along great on three legs until he died. After our Sheepdogs we said no more dogs because it is too heart breaking to lose them. We went on our first vacation in years to California to visit my step daughter. While in the car she saw a dog in a ditch which was in shock and very hurt. To make a long story short we ended up saving his life and after his stay in the hospital we had him flown to Illinois and the rest is history. He never got the use of his leg back and he too had to have his leg amputated. He was a tough dog but so gentle with me and my hubby. After losing Freeway again we said no more dogs but my husband was so depressed I had to do something so I talked him into our baby girl Daisy. We got her from a great breeder as we learned our lesson with Buster and Bentley. Daisy is our little girl and the most affectionate of all of our pups.
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    I love that picture of Daisy at the top! She is so huggable.

Want a kitten/cat?. Lol, jk! We love our gang and hope they will have safe and happy lives with us.
    Our two oldest are Possum and Budda(buttah).
    then we have the litter of strays and their mama.
    We call mama Baby. Then there is Tina,Shadow,Sunni,Dolly, and Sophie.
    Shadow has been gone for about a month. I hope he is living in the neighborhood somewhere. We have a lot of critter lovers near us. Because they are not all settled into indoor life, we are allowing them to come and go as they please by using a pet door. They like to sleep indoors at night. It is an ongoing project and we will adapt as we learn what works.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Great thread, Barb! thanks for starting it.

We are owned by two Afghan Hounds. The older, Will, is an AKC show ring champion. He is CH Allure's Summer Persuasion. Allure kennels is in Ohio and is known for breeding champion lure coursers. Will was born in Dallas, however and he will be 7-years old on January 24, 2012. The younger, Trouble, has never been shown. he is also from the Allure kennel. He is Allure's I'm in Trouble Again. We traveled to Michigan to get him and on the way home found ourselves in a horrendous lake effect snow storm. A 5 hour drive took almost 9 hours. Then, when just a mile or two from home, we hit a deer which almost came through the windshield. Poor puppy was so much trouble to go and get the name seemed appropriate at the time. Actually, he's no trouble at all - a sweet boy.

Trouble
    jE7p0l.jpg

Will
    vpW7Z.jpg
  • Jupitermermaid
    Jupitermermaid Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Oh, my! What beautifu dogs! We always had golden retrievers while growing up. Since I moved to Florida 20 years ago, though, I don't have the room to make a good home for a dog. Instead, I've had 2 cats at a time. My favorites were Prozac and Willow; sisters with different fathers. Prozac was aptly named, as she was the runt of the litter and the vet thought I was wasting my money by trying to keep her alive with all her presenting health problems. She lived for 6 years, then left and never came back (I to this day do not know what happened to her). Willow, on the other hand, was alway a princess, a long haired, cross-eyed blue point that wanted to be hand fed every day. When she got diagnosed with feline leukemia, she fought a good four years more before she finally became too weak to fight anymore. She is buried in my backyard under my palm fronds.

I now have Gypsy and Baby....a mother/daughter team handed down to me via my son 3 years ago. They are so precious and sweet. They sleep at the end of my bed, and wait for me to come home at the end of each day. They are always sitting by the glass panal when they hear my car approach, like dogs, waiting for me to come into the house and give them a pat and a treat. I love my animals as much as some people love their children. I have a (grown) child also, and love him more, but my cats are my "now" kids.
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not usually this technically challenged, but I can't figure out how to post a photo in a reply. Anyway, we have two young Standard Poodles and two senior cats. There are some gorgeous pets here.

The poodles (in my profile photo) are Plato (male), age 2, and Sasha (female), age 3. We got Plato in January 2010 from Smith Poodles in Little Rock Arkansas. He's a Parti (multicolored) poodle, and we couldn't find a Parti Poodle within driving distance of our home near San Francisco Bay. So we contacted Mick and Ann Smith at Smith Poodles, which had been recommended by my cousins in Missouri and Arkansas. My husband fell in love with Plato from a photo, because Plato's face and posture reminded me of a black poodle he had as a boy. It turned out that one of Plato's sisters had been purchased by a family in the San Francisco Bay area, so the two puppies got to fly to SFO together in a big crate, and that worked out nicely.

By the time Plato was 7 months old, we realized we had the most social animal on the planet living with us. No matter how many times I took him to the dog park each day, he would go into mourning when I brought him back home. So we contacted NorCal Poodle Rescue to find him a companion, and Sasha came into our lives. She was rescued from a backroom breeding situation. She'd had a litter of pups when she was only 13 months old. She was badly emaciated but otherwise healthy when she was turned over to the rescue people. She and Plato bonded instantly. Plato is only two months older than her pups, and she seemed to simply adopt him as her newest son.

My cats are both strays or ferals who turned up by my kitchen door looking for food and eventually decided they would rather live in the house than outdoors. Tang is about 17 or 18 years old and is a big, handsome, orange, tabby guy. Indy is a small, plush, black, male of about 10 years age. The cats were making an attempt to make friends with Plato when Sasha arrived on the scene. At that point, they declared the upper bedrooms of our house (my children's old rooms) to be their territory, and they will have nothing to do with the dogs, who live downstairs.

Other than that we feed a second, orange, feral cat on our ground floor patio and also feed what I think might be half the finch population of our town via a sock feeder on our deck, where there is no access to the yard, and they are safe from furry predators (such as the orange feral cat.
  • JipsyJudy
    Options
    tip8rb - your dogs are magnificent!
  • patiencez2
    patiencez2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me how to post the pictures in the post? I will introduce my gang of fur baby's
    Love My Animals.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Smilingdogs.jpg

Here are Sasha and Brandy.

I used Photo Bucket to post this.

Thank you, Sandy, for explaining how to do it on another thread.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • barbiecat
    Options
    SashaandBernie.jpg

Here is Sasha with Bernie, the cat :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

BernieandSashalookoutthewindow-1.jpg
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    How sweet. so cute together
  • JipsyJudy
    Options
    I will second the request of Patiencez2. Please would someone who knows how to do it post instructions here for putting picture in our replies. Thanks!
  • barbiecat
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/415649-posting-pictures?page=1#posts-5710660

here is the link to Sandy's directions about how to post pictures.......if you have any questions, she'll be glad to help you.

I'll be glad to help you, too, but I think Sandy explains it better......I learned from her.
  • patiencez2
    Options
    Bernie, the part Maine coon cat was born in October 2006. His mother was a stray that a friend took in. We got him as a kitten in December. He likes to tease the dogs and look down on them from high places. He became an indoor cat in August when we moved to our new house. He likes to sleep with us and the dogs

My Cat Toby is also maine coon looks just like yours I will try and get pics up after work.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Ha, where to begin??:laugh:

First off, this is Jasper and Hebe, brother and sister that were originally born in someone's garden shed, taken on by Cats Protection League but then shifted from pillar to post because they didn't settle and on one occasion were badly treated. They were 18 months old when I adopted them and are now approximately 10. Hebe is a feisty girl but affectionate with it but Jasper carries the troubles of the world on his shoulders. The ill treatment he received in a previous home has left him scared of his own shadow but Hebe seems to manage to settle him far better than I can.

earwash.jpg

Little Squeak is one of 7 hens that potter around in my garden and photo shows her as a proud mum after she had raised a couple of chicks. This chick turned out to be Charlie a cockeral who has a tendancy to fly up and bite me on the bum when I least expect it. I'm used to it now but my neighbours are always wary when looking after my animals when I go away!:bigsmile:

P1000202.jpg

Photobucket is incredibly slow this morning and I'm becoming increasingly frustrated as I sit and stare out the window waiting for it to perform so will go back to the decorating of the spare room I'm supposed to be doing and try to get more photos downloaded later.

Well done Barbie for starting this thread. I knew you would!! Loving everyone's photos; what handsome dogs you all seem to have.

Jackie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    here is my Sammy the first on my new quilt He loves blankets Every morning as I get up and cover my legs up with my lap quilt it does not take him long to hop up and get cover up. too.
    100_0093.jpg

Marie and Sammy
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,034 Member
    Options
    I will second the request of Patiencez2. Please would someone who knows how to do it post instructions here for putting picture in our replies. Thanks!

I made a new topic for posting pictures, see if that helps.
    Sandy
  • patiencez2
    Options
    This Is my Running Mate Zeus

th_zeus2.jpg

This is my Lap dog Emma

th_FamilyPets064Emma.jpg

This is My Lab Coon Hound

th_goliath2.jpg

My Main coon Toby

th_toby.jpg

I have 2 other cats but they run from the camara
    And this makes up My Fur Baby family !
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Love all of the photos, please keep it up! I will get around to my cat crew someday

Phoebe
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    patience
    What host do ou use posting your pictuces I like them a lot

Phoebe I am looing foward to se your crew of kitties.That would be cute.
    Marie
  • patiencez2
    Options
    Love all of the photos, please keep it up! I will get around to my cat crew someday

Phoebe

Love cats I have 3 of them *smile*
    patience
    What host do ou use posting your pictuces I like them a lot

I use photobucket it has a forum option so you can make them small