Low-Carb hostility on MFP

Options

Replies

• 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    What I just LOVE are the people who ask if we've got some medical condition that requires us to restrict our carbs, as if that's the only acceptable reason.

This is my favorite one and it comes up EVERY EFFING TIME.

Grains make me feel like *kitten*. I don't need a note from my doctor or a pubmed study to justify why I don't eat them. Drives me up the wall.

It's a lifestyle choice, so what?

Me too! Donuts are like poison to me...give me the worst heartburn but I can eat bacon and spicy food all day long and it does not bother me a bit!

Did you have to say donut? Haha! Now I want a fresh out of the oven glazed donut. Mmmm.... But I won't.

I like this thread. It says a lot of things that I have been thinking. I have lost four pounds in the last three days on the Atkins diet. I will keep it up until I lose twenty. It's nice to know there are other like minded people.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Hey Low insulin lovers, I love chatting to all you like minded people...

We know it works, and it's easy....If they don't want to listen their loss.

I've done with public battles on forums with the self appointed gurus. And their rabid followers who have been on MFP forever and are STILL overweight... Duh - a bit of self experiment till you find what works......I tried being a vegetarian for nearly a year, just to see if it was beneficial - (No). So Then I found Low carb, combined with Primal, and BINGO!

I guess I'll just have to put my tiny bikini on , or go jeans shopping , and enjoy my day.
    Lol - jokes! :D
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I think the problem here is not that one program is better than the other but since this is a community and since a community comes in all shapes and sizes the discussions turn into a debate rather then "hey if low carbing isn't working for you try this..." or instead of getting into a slue of proving points why a certain plan is better than another try pointing out the benefits of each program... I often float between paleo and low carb with even some high fat inuit style eating.

People will find a million reasons to "fit" into societies traps that a balanced diet is key but look around you and I bet most of the people are fat and getting fatter because they refuse to listen to those who have had success. I do not know one person as of yet who has success at keeping off body doing weight watchers or jenny craig... Sorry but its the truth I think some people want sympathy when they post they are struggling then you look at their diet its OMG!!! No wonder your fat!

Primal+low carb and your lean for life!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I get so aggravated by the people who categorized us as believers in magic because we find a particular diet useful. For instance I'm participating in a Paleo diet discussion and simply said that it is a good diet because it makes it easy for people to choose healthy foods over unhealthy foods (ie. if it is a natural whole food then it is going to be healthier than a processed food). Then I have these guys with six packs saying that all that matters in weight loss is a caloric deficit. Well duh, but Paleo makes it much easier to create a caloric deficit with little effort because it fits more naturally into the diet that humans were evolved to eat, rather than trying to eat unnatural junk food where you need to weigh it on a scale and count calories every time you put something in your mouth.

They think we all believe that low-carb diets don't create caloric deficits, but instead work magically and allow unlimited caloric intake.

And I don't get the whole argument about being unsustainable. Calorie-restrictive diets have the same failure rate as low-carb diets. If our culture emphasized low-carb diets on a large scale, then it would be much easier to avoid the temptation to fall off the wagon. Calorie-restrictive diets are only necessary when we live in a toxic environment where the food around us is bad and needs to be restricted because it triggers overeating. In the end the sustainability of the diet is a matter of whether the person is willing to give up junk food or not.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

They think we all believe that low-carb diets don't create caloric deficits, but instead work magically and allow unlimited caloric intake.

As a low-carber under the guidance of medical providers, thank goodness I go to the right resources! LOL!
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Im medically doing LC and havent felt this good for 20 years... So happy to have found this group!
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm not new to MFP. I'm a member of the Atkins Support Group here, and now I'm happy to have found this group, too!
    Just wanted to pipe in and say that I'm one of those just doing Atkins to lose weight. I didn't have any health problems, besides being insulin-resistant, when I started, and I don't now. In fact, I feel 100x better. I lost 67 pounds over 9 months. Got pregnant, and had humongous food cravings. I went to the official Atkins site, and they said I needed to up to Maintenance phase. Having skipped climbing the ladder, I went out of control with my eating over Christmas and New Years. I miscarried, and got a little hormonal and depressed, and begin eating every sugary or carby thing in the house. (My husband says he thought I was going to chew through the wood cabinets after I ate all the chips in the house--lol, he's not wrong!). Anyway, I'm officially back on Phase I as of yesterday, and very happy to join your group! I have to lose the lb's I put on in my hormonal stupor, and then another 30 or so pounds to goal!
  • CuppycakeKaren
    CuppycakeKaren Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 70 lbs with Atkins...felt great, but of course went back to my old way of eating, gained weight..and felt like crap!! Tried the low cal route...lost a total of 7 lbs in over 6 weeks...killing myself with an hour and a half to two hours of exercise a day. Then one day, I thought...wait a minute..what worked before?? How great did you feel?? And more importantly...what are you waiting for?? Back to day 1 of Induction..and couldn't be happier!! So happy to see there are4 so many others in the same boat!!
  • mikefarinha
    mikefarinha Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm new here and have been poking around a bit the past few days. I'd like to add to this thread in a more positive way. There was a long span where I too thought low-carb Atkins type diets were simply unhealthy gimmicks to reduce calories. Most, if not all, of us were probably anti-low carb at some point in the past... we've all grown up with high-carb, low-fat dogma pushed on us since the government got a hold of us in grade school. At least that was the case for me. A lot of deprogramming needs to occur before someone is willing to be open to the ideas of high fat, low-carb.

From what I've seen here this low-carb community is actually quite active and supportive. You guys should be thankful for that!

As for the anti-low-carb members, just let them be. Engage them if you feel like it or ignore them. As long as you can articulate a reasonable argument you'll impact a lot of the lurkers out there.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    As long as you can articulate a reasonable argument you'll impact a lot of the lurkers out there.

+1
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    As long as you can articulate a reasonable argument you'll impact a lot of the lurkers out there.

+1

Yeah that's the only reason I bother sometimes. But its funny because once you start arguing with someone, you start getting personal attacks from all directions by the other members, and I just wonder if the lurkers can see through the nonsense and personal attacks or whether they pretty much agree with the majority in the thread.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have found my tribe. :)

Just last night I said that I feel like people hear that I'm doing low carb and assume I've lost this weight sitting on my butt eating bacon. I get so sick of having to defend my lifestyle...that's why I keep my food log private. My fuel is not up for debate.

My favorite is how people congratulate me on what I've done and go on and on about how much healthier I am...till they hear "low carb" and then suddenly they're worried about me. :/ Of course the same thing goes with ow I raise my kids...people say that they are so smart and well behaved and blah, blah, blah...till they hear that we homeschool.

Whatever.

Anyways, glad to have found this group! It's a much needed mfp safe haven.
  • suzzee2000
    suzzee2000 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of you! So glad I found this group! Whew....We have to stick together!
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm not new to MFP. I'm a member of the Atkins Support Group here, and now I'm happy to have found this group, too!
    Just wanted to pipe in and say that I'm one of those just doing Atkins to lose weight. I didn't have any health problems, besides being insulin-resistant, when I started, and I don't now. In fact, I feel 100x better. I lost 67 pounds over 9 months. Got pregnant, and had humongous food cravings. I went to the official Atkins site, and they said I needed to up to Maintenance phase. Having skipped climbing the ladder, I went out of control with my eating over Christmas and New Years. I miscarried, and got a little hormonal and depressed, and begin eating every sugary or carby thing in the house. (My husband says he thought I was going to chew through the wood cabinets after I ate all the chips in the house--lol, he's not wrong!). Anyway, I'm officially back on Phase I as of yesterday, and very happy to join your group! I have to lose the lb's I put on in my hormonal stupor, and then another 30 or so pounds to goal!

Oh dear, sounds like you've had a terrible time, I'm sorry. I expect this way of eating will help your hormones sort themselves out more quickly and hopefully make things easier to bear- I know I'm happier eating this way. The cravings thing is interesting. I get terrible carb cravings the week before my period, and I really wonder why, and whether it's something to ignore (spectre of addiction) or pay attention to (body asking for what it needs).

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll do fine.
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have just joined this group, I am so glad I have found it!
    Is this the only Low carb one?
    I am also a member of the Active Low Carber forum which is brilliant, I really suggest you have a look at it, I tend to use MFP for logging everything and ALC for learning about LC and finding recipes etc!
    It really is annoying having the negativity to deal with but at least we know this group won't judge anyone.
    LC is the only thing (apart from meds) that gets my blood pressure back to normal levels, that's a good enough reason for me to stay Low Carb!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    The hostility towards the "low carb" approach is a bit strange because all i see are success stories and it has worked for me. I do respond to threads asking for feedback on the low carb approach then usually sit back in amazement when the same people show up on each new thread and keep shooting it down. I try to stay neutral and just tell the OP to do their own extensive research on the topic.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    ^^ yes!
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    What gets me is that the only time I can imagine shooting down someone else lifestyle is like the HCG'ers eating 500 cals a day...and even then it would be gently.

If people ask, I share what I do, but I never force it down anyone's throat or tell them my way is THE way.

personality differences I guess...LOL That reminds me of Oprah talking about one time she and her whole staff did low carb to lose weight for an awards show or something and they all got mean on low carb. Seems like the opposite happening here. LOL
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I've always been an advocate of lower carb eating on MFP and the attacks never stop, pretty much from the same sources all the time. I tend to engage them because I find debate fun and their comebacks entertaining at times. It never takes long for the discussion to degrade into personal attacks from the other camps though.

As far as diet failure, well I was one of those guys. Lost 105lbs on Atkins in 2003-2004 and kept it off until 2007 when I started making horrible eating decisions while working in a very stressful and toxic work environment. I failed to catch the weight gain early and next thing you know I'm almost 100lbs heavier again. Started out doing calorie/portion restriction in 2011 because of a bet to lose weight with a friend and lost weight, but was miserable the whole time. After about 2 months I started looking at Atkins again and reading up on it, and also watched FatHead. The light went off just like the first time I read the Atkins book cover to cover in one sitting in 2003.

Since that time I've been branching into a lower carb Paleo/Primal diet and have influenced quite a few people to do the same, which they are loving. I think that I may go back to a more traditional form of Atkins to loose the last 40lbs I want to drop (20 would be fine, 40 a longer term goal) and use Primal to maintain it. I think being more strict on carbs will also help my wife further, who appears to have thyroid issues (working with a doctor now on that).

Though I suppose that doesn't matter really, all that natural high fat, low carb food is going to kill me anyway...at least according to a lot of the people out there :laugh:
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I find I kind of sit between the Atkins camp and the Primal camp, just because it's practically impossible to eat any processed foods while on induction level carbs. My diet is meat, fish, veg, nuts, seeds and dairy. That qualifies as a Primal diet, the only difference would be berries and tubers.

Attempts to re-introduce wheat have been disastrous so I think I'm off that for life, but once I lose another 20lb or so I'm going to add in root veg and berries to see what happens. Slightly nervous about that!