Whats on your menu today?

Options

Replies

• Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Crab cakes, Grilled Tilapia, Roasted Veggies, turkey bacon, Cottage cheese and Egg Omelet..

i had a good day..LOL
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Make that 4 drumsticks ... I had a rare late night snack attack ... I think my appetite is ramping up ...
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Im going to feed my craving tonight with chicken wings (oven baked), seasoned with sea salt, black pepper and gahhhhlic. A homemade buffalo sauce (butter, cayenne sauce, habanero sauce, garlic), freshly crumbled bleu cheese.

Mannnnnnn thats all I could think about today at work... lol!!!!

Tomorrow though, I have a luscious garlic-scallion butter sauce going over two breasts of turkey and a sauteed spiral zucchini, heirloom carrot, & sweet potato side with fresh herbs...
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    B--Atkins French Vanilla Shake (on sale, 6 pack for 4 pack price at Walmart)
    L--Grilled cheese (swiss) sandwich on MIM style bread
    D--Ground beef stir fry with mushrooms, baby eggplant, onion, zucchini, sprinkle of parmesan and butter
    Snack--Fat bomb
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd join in :-)

3 egg omlette containing a grated courgette, half a pepper,2 rashers of bacon and topped with melted cheese.

As a snack 1 MIM sliced, topped with Philadelphia , sliced roast pork and cucumber. Small packet of pork scratchings. Mayo on side.

Pan fried chicken breast topped with Philadelphia , corned beef and melted cheese. And a pile of cauliflower, runner beans and savoy cabbage.

Beef cannelloni with cauliflower and broccoli. ( naughty I know but before this carbs were 6% for the day and still only 14% after this)
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I stopped posting in this for a while and I shouldn't have stopped, so I'm back :)

Breakfast: egg salad (eggs, mayo, spicy brown mustard, diced celery, diced pickle and dried dill) on celery sticks
    Lunch: roasted pork tenderloin with balsamic, olive oil and rosemary marinade. Broccoli with butter
    Dinner: leftover NY strip steak on a mixed greens salad with probably just oil and vinegar and maybe crumbled goat cheese since I think I'm out of blue cheese dressing
  • maremare312
    Options
    Me too, sweetx!

B--Fat bomb, tea with almond milk
    L--Ground beef stir fry with eggplant, mushrooms, onion, zuchini, butter, parmesan, and half oz of fritos (needed the crunch, 7 g net carbs!)
    D--Miso Soup
    Snacks--Seaweed snacks, cucumber
  • wfte
    Options
    Anyone tried using ground almonds as a breadcrumb coating?

I'm really not a fan of nuts, the taste or the texture but always willing to try as would be good to be able to add into my diet. I found a packet of ground almonds in the cupboard and dipping my finger in them it didn't seem too bad. At least being finely ground you lose the texture aspect which is probably my biggest hang up.

So has anyone used these like to coat chicken etc? Does it work and what would be advised as best way of cooking? Baking or frying, or either good? Not sure if they'd soak up the fat and just become a soggy mess.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    @ wfte I have not used ground almonds as a coating, but they are good as a binding agent in place of flour, and a lot of low carbers use them as a baking ingredient.

Macadamia nuts are a great nut to eat if you don't like nuts (if that makes sense). Due to their high fat content they taste lovely and decadent.

I use crushed macadamia nuts & unsweetened dessciated coconut (dried coconut flakes) as a breading for schnitzels, chicken nuggets and 'fried' chicken dishes. it's really simple, I whizz up the nuts, add the coconut (add herbs/spices too if you wish) and dip your meat/fish into egg and then coat in the crumb mixture and cook. I usually oven bake, but I guess you could deep fry.
  • maremare312
    Options
    Anyone tried using ground almonds as a breadcrumb coating?

I'm really not a fan of nuts, the taste or the texture but always willing to try as would be good to be able to add into my diet. I found a packet of ground almonds in the cupboard and dipping my finger in them it didn't seem too bad. At least being finely ground you lose the texture aspect which is probably my biggest hang up.

So has anyone used these like to coat chicken etc? Does it work and what would be advised as best way of cooking? Baking or frying, or either good? Not sure if they'd soak up the fat and just become a soggy mess.

I've used a mixture of almond meal and coconut flour to coat chicken (also mixed in some seasoned salt, garlic powder, etc.) and fried my chicken up. It was pretty good and stuck pretty well. I dipped in egg first, then the breading mixture.
  • maremare312
    Options
    B--Cottage Cheese
    L--Leftover ground beef/veggie stir fry
    D--Sour Cream Chicken and The Best Broccoli of Your Life
    Snacks--"Root Beer Float"--Diet root beer + splash of half and half, cucumber, green olives stuffed with garlic cloves

Recipes:
    http://peaceloveandlowcarb.blogspot.com/2012/06/sour-cream-smothered-chicken.html#.UGyTK1GuptM
    http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2008/11/the_best_brocco.html
  • wfte
    Options
    Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages

Ribeye steak topped with garlic butter, broccoli , cauliflower mash

Leftover boiled ham hock, savoy cabbage fried in butter with bacon and garlic

Probably have a few cream crackers with cheese later with a small pack of pork scratchings.

I was thinking of doing parmesan crusted chicken thighs tomorrow. I might do a few like that and one using the ground almond. That way if it doesnt work out Ive still got the cheesy ones for lunch.
  • wfte
    Options
    B: MIM done flat to get two slices of bread, made into sausage and bacon sandwich

L: Made Parmesan crusted chicken thighs from here :http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/parmesan_herb_thighs.html
    They were absolutely gorgeous. Had that with a salad consisting of leaves, baby spinach, cucumber, onion, pepper , cottage cheese and mayo.

Dinner is due to be gammon with purple sprouting broccoli and asparagus, all drowned in a cheese mustard sauce.

Likely I'll have something late evening too, not entirely sure what yet but most likely going to include trying these courgette fritters

Makes 6

225g Courgette/Zucchini , grated
    125g cheese, grated (I'll be using a strong cheddar)
    1 egg, beaten
    Salt
    Pepper

Mix courgette + cheese in a bowl and season. Add egg and stir until combined.

Divide into six, make balls and flatten into patties. Place in fridge for 30 mins to firm up.

Heat oil/melt butter in frying pan. Place fritters into pan and cook undisturbed for 2-3 mins. Carefully turn and cook for the same time on other side or until golden.

Not accounting for butter/ oil fried in I make these: 107 cals, 8g fat, 6g protein, 1g carbs each. :-)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Those courgette fritters sound AWESOME! Will be pinching that recipe.

My Lunch: Tuna patties, salad, garlic dressing.

Dinner: 2 x chicken breasts stuffed with pesto & wrapped in bacon and oven baked. Seved with a rocket (arugula) salad, parmesan shavings, 1 x sliced avocado.

Snacks: chocolate nut energy truffles x2, pepperoni stick.
  • ander217
    Options
    I use almond meal, coconut flour, or golden flax meal as coating for fried or "oven-fried" foods. I prefer coconut flour for fried okra, and almond or flax meal for chicken and fish. My favorite chicken tender coating is to lightly coat the pieces in a mixture of 2 tbsp. coconut flour or vital wheat gluten, 1/4 tsp. each of cinnamon, garlic powder, paprika and salt. (Add more or less of each to taste.) Then dip each tender into beaten egg white, then roll in golden flax meal. Place on greased baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about fifteen minutes or until coating is golden and chicken is cooked through.

Here is yesterday's menu:

B - two eggs fried in ghee, two slices nitrate-free bacon, small slice flax meal flatbread (homemade), 1/4 raw tomato, 2 tbsp. lemon juice in water with salt and olive oil (for gallbladder issues), 2 c. coffee with coconut milk

L - 4 oz. salmon filet baked with coating of chopped basil, pine nuts, and olive oil; spinach/mushroom/bacon salad with mayonnaise and V-8 dressing; baked sweet potato fries, fresh tomato slices, frozen blueberries

D - 1 pork chop, steamed cabbage with ghee, stewed apples with raisins and cinnamon

We live on a farm and raise our own meat, fruit, and veggies. We dug our sweet potatoes this week, and a frost is forecast for Sunday which may kill our tomatoes, so both of those veggies will be on the menu in the coming weeks.
  • CarolynTea
    CarolynTea Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    test
  • CarolynTea
    CarolynTea Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have pictures of a wonderful mushroom dish I cooked yesterday, but not sure how to add the pictures--suggestions, please?

This is a variation of Pioneer Woman's Burgundy Mushrooms:

1lb white button mushrooms
    1 stick butter
    1 750mg bottle dry red wine
    I can (2 cups) beef broth
    I -2 tbsp chicken base
    1-2 tbsp beef base
    1-2 tsp garlic powder
    freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    5 sprigs fresh thyme

Clean mushrooms. Snap off the stems if desired (I did). Place mushrooms and stems in the crockpot (or dutch oven, if you don't have a crockpot).

Place all other ingredients in a saucepot and heat on the stove till all is melted and just comes to a boil. Remove from heat and pour over mushrooms. Close the crockpot and cook on low x6-8 hours. Alternately, put a lid on the dutch oven and turn to a very low simmer on the stove for the same amount of time. Mushrooms will turn quite dark.

DELICIOUS!!!

I saved the cooking liquid from mine last night, because it tastes absolutely divine. I'm going to experiment with reducing it down pretty far and then enriching it with heavy cream to see if it will turn into a consistency like gravy. If so...voila!! We have gravy without the flour! I'll keep you posted on that experiment.

Again, if someone would be kind enough to advise how to upload a picture into the body of one of these posts, I'll slide in the picture. More fun that way!

Mrs. T
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Yesterday ... A relatively active day on the cricket pitch ...
    Breakfast: A Snickers Bar

.... Leave time to process, run around a bit ....

Lunch onwards: 4 hard-boiled eggs, 4 sausages and a hunk of cheese

Late Dinner: A pile of spicy fried-up bacon, onion, spinach served over much leafy veggies.
    Why the, distinctly out of place, Snickers Bar?

My muscles were telling me that they needed a quick-acting top-up. I've been pretty low carb for a months (<50g, mostly <30g) and guessed that I was low on Glycogen as I've been doing some resistance work fairly regularly.

I've tried upping the sweet potato and whatnot but it just wasn't cutting it so I went for the nuclear option :).

Also, I just fancied a Snickers Bar.

Anyway, I had one and felt much better for the rest of the day.

I'm taking this as a cue to up my daily carbs lest daily Snickers Bar addiction ensues ... ;)

Still under 100g carbs for the day though, calorie intake for the day blasted in the stratosphere, don't care.
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yesterday ... A relatively active day on the cricket pitch ...
    Breakfast: A Snickers Bar

.... Leave time to process, run around a bit ....

Lunch onwards: 4 hard-boiled eggs, 4 sausages and a hunk of cheese

Late Dinner: A pile of spicy fried-up bacon, onion, spinach served over much leafy veggies.
    Why the, distinctly out of place, Snickers Bar?

My muscles were telling me that they needed a quick-acting top-up. I've been pretty low carb for a months (<50g, mostly <30g) and guessed that I was low on Glycogen as I've been doing some resistance work fairly regularly.

I've tried upping the sweet potato and whatnot but it just wasn't cutting it so I went for the nuclear option :).

Also, I just fancied a Snickers Bar.

Anyway, I had one and felt much better for the rest of the day.

I'm taking this as a cue to up my daily carbs lest daily Snickers Bar addiction ensues ... ;)

Still under 100g carbs for the day though, calorie intake for the day blasted in the stratosphere, don't care.

................................aannndddd now I want a snickers :)

So far so good, I can struggle on a Monday, mainly due to back to work depression!

B- Spicy meat sticks and a cuppa
    L- Massive leafy salad with tuna and various vegetables and CHEESE :)
    D - This will be a vegetarian lasagne we made last night, SO delicious - just cook up a load of low carb veggies and use egg plant for layers instead of pasta YUM
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    ..................aannndddd now I want a snickers :)

I know, I'm here to report that it was as nice as you're imagining.

We lost, if it's any consolation :) I credit the Snickers bar with my catch to dismiss the first batsmen though ;) <trumpet-blowing off>

Today is back to a righteous pile of spicy bacon, spinach, onion and salad followed by some minced beef and assorted veggies for lunch, maybe a cheeky bit of garlic bread on the side.

I've given up my red wine for a bit, I need something off-plan ;)