Who's with me?

Options

Replies

• dunkrobertson
    dunkrobertson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My eldest is on a tea kick with me and generally in true mommy form when they like something I get excited a jump in. I have purchased so many different teas in the last year its ridiculous. I didn't even think about the wine last night (it was a first) because of all the tea excitement! ( its amazing what we get excited about these days isn't it?)
  • Change_Agent
    Change_Agent Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

So glad to hear of people losing the craving. I think mine might be dying for good (see below) which is something I could NEVER have predicted.

Tea is good - going to invest in a diffuser pot this weekend so I can drink all these really nice teas a friend brought me from China. As best as I can tell from the instructions on the wrapper, the idea is not to let it sit indefinitely in the pot but to pull it out after a few minutes so things don't get bitter.

Update. I celebrated a long-awaited raise last night by going out to dinner (fine) where I consumed 2 glasses of red. That stuck to my rule of up-to-2-only-when-out so I was okay with it. The first glass tasted good with dinner - tho was not fantastic - and then the second glass I basically made myself finish because I had bought it. DUMB DUMB DUMB. I got home feeling tipsy and gross, ate a bunch of granola and crackers, rolled into bed and then had an absolutely miserable night fighting hot flashes (not something I usually have) and a whopping migraine. THis has happened twice before in the last month or so but I thought it was due to drinking way too much. Two glasses just ain't that much but it still did the same thing. I would pay cash money to make this crappy day-after feeling go away but I can't. I think this is it: I am going ALCOHOL FREE for awhile. Maybe until I get thru menopause, which at this rate is going to be years. I never thought I would be doing this. I feel like crap though and even missed my beloved 6 a.m. spin class. UGH. Thanks for being here to help me through these strange waters!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I am a HUGE wine drinker. Cabs, Char, Champagne,Shiraz whatever I am in the mood for at that particular time. I can't stop with 1 or 2 glasses I drink the ENTIRE bottle!! Which hinders my weight loss for sure.

I would love to join this group to stay accountable. I have committed to having one splurge drink day per month. So far this month i had 2 drinks last Sunday, other than that i havent had any! I am proud of mysef!!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Lana aka dbanks80
  • opal24
    opal24 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    So glad to have found this group! I'm another who was drinking wine nightly and not stopping till the entire bottle had gone - complete with the potato chips that just had to go with it. I stopped on Jan 2 and have promised myself not to have any at all till I've achieved my goal weight. For me, it just has to be all or nothing - so it's nothing :)

I've done it before and can do it again - and it makes a huge difference to the weight loss, strangely enough!! (Dread to think how many calories a day I've been adding.
    Christine

Edited to add - my doctor will be delighted as well!
  • Change_Agent
    Options

So far this month i had 2 drinks last Sunday, other than that i havent had any! I am proud of mysef!!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Lana aka dbanks80

Wow! You should be proud. Way to go. I'm glad you're here!
  • Change_Agent
    Options
    For me, it just has to be all or nothing - so it's nothing :)

I've done it before and can do it again - and it makes a huge difference to the weight loss, strangely enough!! (Dread to think how many calories a day I've been adding.
    Christine

Edited to add - my doctor will be delighted as well!

Think I'm realizing that about myself too. Good to know you have done it before without going crazy. My doctor will be glad too. The last time it came up, she was very clear: NOT OKAY to have 2-3 drinks most nights of the week. Gulp.
  • Change_Agent
    Options
    I didn't even feel like having a beer or a glass of wine tonight. How weird is that??? Yeah!

Hoping to get there and stay there too. After last night's migraine it will probably be awhile before I crave it but "awhile" can mean as little as 24 hours from now. Good for you though! I am happy for you.
  • kerry0521
    kerry0521 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wow! ChangeAgent..that is really interesting about the 2 glasses of wine effecting you so much. I just have to wonder if we "put up" with feeling crappy because it is almost normal, and then when you've really been feeling great for a few days you really notice the difference. Or it could be that tolerance thing. Either way, it sure is a wake up call.

I know I sleep much better when I don't have wine, which is just the opposite of what we think, that it will relax us. It relaxes me until I wake up at 3 AM!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited to see everyone here! You all sound so much like me; it's nice to know I'm not alone.

Tonight was another great night. Absolutely no desire whatsoever. Makes me very happy...
  • Change_Agent
    Options
    I just have to wonder if we "put up" with feeling crappy because it is almost normal, and then when you've really been feeling great for a few days you really notice the difference. Or it could be that tolerance thing. Either way, it sure is a wake up call.

I know I sleep much better when I don't have wine, which is just the opposite of what we think, that it will relax us. It relaxes me until I wake up at 3 AM!

I am wondering that too. Definitely, it makes me wake up in the middle of the night - apparently so I can regret things in peace. Ha. Feeling better now and going to bed for a long sleep.

Yankeedownsouth: That's GREAT!! I am so glad for you. I am going to get there too. I can feel it.
  • dunkrobertson
    Options
    This is the first morning that i haven't woken up with a headache like i'm hung over!
  • mommybird1
    Options
    ohhh i feel really bad about giving in to the evil cabernet last night. Went to a restaurant/bar with some friends. One of my friends lost her father right before Christmas and we treated her to a night out and some support. I was only going to have 2 glasses, then a round was bought for us....and I ate 2 chicken strips then we another glass!! ahhhh.... I had gone 12 days with no wine. I feel like crap this morning!! I stayed up too late which is a big part of it but the 4 glasses of wine ....making my head hurt worse than ever. I am not sure if I can go out and only have 2.. especially when everyone else is drinking.

At least I only drank about 1/2 the last glass... it just didn't taste good any more.
    -ready to detox again!!!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    ohhh i feel really bad about giving in to the evil cabernet last night. Went to a restaurant/bar with some friends. One of my friends lost her father right before Christmas and we treated her to a night out and some support. I was only going to have 2 glasses, then a round was bought for us....and I ate 2 chicken strips then we another glass!! ahhhh.... I had gone 12 days with no wine. I feel like crap this morning!! I stayed up too late which is a big part of it but the 4 glasses of wine ....making my head hurt worse than ever. I am not sure if I can go out and only have 2.. especially when everyone else is drinking.

At least I only drank about 1/2 the last glass... it just didn't taste good any more.
    -ready to detox again!!!

Don't beat yourself up over it! Just get on with today (and take some Motrin!). It happens to all of us!
  • dunkrobertson
    Options

-ready to detox again!!!

An occasional drink or 4 is ok, I speak for myself my issue was that many, most nights. i think as we progress on this journey it is going to become something we may or may not want to do as opposed to something we have to do. And the more it feels crappy the next day the less incentive there is to imbibe unless its a special occasion. Anyway that is what I am hanging my hat on. (and this may not be appropriate as we are trying to cut back but eat a banana before bed after a glass of wine, something about the potassium helps, but count it in your calories for the day :^)
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to say, I am now on day 12. I thought about caving last night to relax myself because I had a big exam today, but I drank to cups of camomile and I actually slept ok last night considering nerves usually keep me up all night. Everyone on my course was like yay have a drink tonight, celebrate blah blah blah, but you know what. I'm not going to.
    I think I might go swimming and just relax without the vino.
    We'll see how it goes.
    I also poured 3/4 bottle of red away because it had gone off.
    Here is to day 12 without delve (ing into wine)
    :drinker:
  • mommybird1
    Options

-ready to detox again!!!

An occasional drink or 4 is ok, I speak for myself my issue was that many, most nights. i think as we progress on this journey it is going to become something we may or may not want to do as opposed to something we have to do. And the more it feels crappy the next day the less incentive there is to imbibe unless its a special occasion. Anyway that is what I am hanging my hat on. (and this may not be appropriate as we are trying to cut back but eat a banana before bed after a glass of wine, something about the potassium helps, but count it in your calories for the day :^)

I was a 2-3 drink a night girl and I have felt so much better the past 2 weeks without any in my system. I think I can do the occasional drink for a special occasion... but I just have to keep myself in check so A drink doesn't become 4.
    I am going to miss out on a good workout today too because I feel so tired and draggy . Hope it is all out of my system so I can get back to it tomorrow.
    Never heard of the banana thing ... thanks!!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to say, I am now on day 12. I thought about caving last night to relax myself because I had a big exam today, but I drank to cups of camomile and I actually slept ok last night considering nerves usually keep me up all night. Everyone on my course was like yay have a drink tonight, celebrate blah blah blah, but you know what. I'm not going to.
    We'll see how it goes.

Good for you!!!! I know sometimes the wine calls out to me but the more I go without it the cravings are less and less. I exercise more and more to get that relaxed feeling!!
  • Change_Agent
    Options
    We'll see how it goes.

Whoa. You go! I think the sleeping well is such an incentive, isn't it? I usually don't sleep very well and it feels SO luxurious to wake up in the morning having gotten all the way through the night.

Congratulations on making 12!!
  • kerry0521
    kerry0521 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You all are so motivating! So nice to have friends in the same boat.
    We are all going to have a day we wish we didn't , sometime. At least I know I will. The key is to make those few and farther between. And to not put up with the "everyday sorta not feeling great" feeling that the 2-3 glasses a night brings on.

I probably will have 2 glasses on Saturday. But I'm going for a long bike ride on Sunday, and anymore than that will make it unpleasant. In fact I am now rethinking it and maybe will save my wine day for Sunday after my ride.....hmmmm.

I saw this line on someone's Pinterest Board..."It's not a Hangover, It's the Wine Flu". It made me think, I would not willingly catch the flu....
  • Change_Agent
    Options
    "It's not a Hangover, It's the Wine Flu". It made me think, I would not willingly catch the flu....

Ha! Yes, exactly. Why willing catch anything.
    Report: went out for dinner last night with my buddy and did not drink. We split a bottle of Pellegrino instead and I felt great. Felt good going to bed and felt fine waking up - even after only 5.5 hours sleep. Head is clear.

I am finding visualizing how I handle Not Drinking important. Like imagining what I will say to the host if/when I don't want wine at a dinner party. I am surprised at how much I do this. I think I am more self-conscious about drinking than I knew - which makes me think it has been a bigger deal to me than I have admitted to myself. But it helps - the visualizing - so I am going to keep doing it.