Who's with me?

Options

Replies

• helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Day 13 is upon me and there is a staff party tonight which I have no intention of going to. I feel I am a lot older than the rest and I'm not sure I can handle being sober around them with an early start in the morning etc.
    This has made me realise that I don't think I'm quite ready to go to a party and not drink and still be ok like a situation out of your comfort zone.
    Or maybe I'm getting old, because I actually want to relax, watch a bit of tv and have a good nights sleep.
    Maybe the lack of alcohol in my blood stream is starting to pay its toll and I'm just a rambling sober person as opposed to rambling drunk.
    Anyway, this whole AFZ (alcohol free zone) is certainly like a little journey for me. I'm willing to be honest and say this is a big deal for me, and actually sometimes it's quite hard. I wonder if people feel a certain weakness admitting a dependency on alcohol. I don't feel weak for admitting I used alcohol for celebration, commiseration, boredom and fun.
    I feel empowered!
    13 days and still going strong!
    :drinker:
  • opal24
    opal24 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad I found this group - the support is great! I'm also on day 13 and feeling pretty good about myself - we have drinks most Friday evening at work and yesterday I said 'no'. And it didn't bother me...... And today I officiated at the funeral of a friend's mother - would normally buy wine on the way home and get stuck in, but I'm sitting here at the moment with my diet coke feeling very good. One of the things I've found has helped is that when I arrive home I get straight into doing something different - it's meant that the wine habit has been broken without too much angst. Now it's just a question of keeping it up!
  • Change_Agent
    Change_Agent Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi -
    Helenoftroy: good for you! Knowing what you really want (to just get some down time in front of the TV) and giving it to yourself is half the battle I swear.

Opal24: nice to meet you!

Me: weird experience last night. In keeping with the we-won't-keep-wine-in-the-house rule, my husband called and asked if I wanted to meet him for a glass of wine after work at our favorite place. I said yes. Debated whether to get wine or something NA on way over and once there decided I'd try wine. Kind of like holding my hand over match. In fact, like holding my hand over a match i got a bit burned.

positives: sipped it very slowly, enjoyed the taste (tho gotta say, was not just IN LOVE even tho it was a very good glass of wine and cost as much as we usually spend on a bottle!), didn't get headache, did stop at one (even tho took effort)

negatives: felt anxious, by half a glass down was craving more and almost ordered it (couldn't due to lack of time), started thinking about the bits of vodka we have in the house and wondering if i could maybe have some of that when i got home, noticed it affected us both (tho in past would have thought of that as complete positive, we were just more expansive when talking), had a food tantrum when i got home that was ridiculous. ended up standing at the counter in my high heels and coat eating crackers and butter (favorite combo) and ham slices in a frenzied, unhappy way. he hadn't gotten home yet (out picking up our youngest from play practice). it made me realize that whatever is going on, i am not ready to have a single drink yet - not on an empty stomach for sure and maybe not at all. slept pretty well but woke up a few times despite haven taken 2 Benadryl.

long post, sorry. digest = i need to stop the experiments and just tee-total. thank you all for blazing the path ahead and for reporting on how it is going. going to run to catch up with you and join you on that trail.
  • helenoftroy1
    Options
    I like this group.
    Giving up alchol is hard. I'm not ready like change_agent to just do the one drink thang!
    I've just gone my longest without alcohol and I still think about it every night.
    I still want a drink :ohwell:
    But I find great comfort and support in this group. I can say all this without people being shocked or judging me.
    This group actually holds me accountable and I am proud to be able to check in daily and say another day gone.
    It's becoming almost like a competition with myself and like Monica from Friends said that's the best competition!
    So thankyou everyone for reading my posts, just knowing others struggle too makes me feel I'm doing ok!
    :flowerforyou:
  • kjh1204
    kjh1204 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I am a HUGE wine drinker. Cabs, Char, Champagne,Shiraz whatever I am in the mood for at that particular time. I can't stop with 1 or 2 glasses I drink the ENTIRE bottle!! Which hinders my weight loss for sure.

I would love to join this group to stay accountable. I have committed to having one splurge drink day per month. So far this month i had 2 drinks last Sunday, other than that i havent had any! I am proud of mysef!!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Lana aka dbanks80

This sounds just like me! I've cut down to just weekends at the moment but really want to stop all together at least for two weeks to prove to myself that I can go without. So glad I found this group as in the past when i've slipped up I just thought "well no one will know....."
  • Change_Agent
    Options
    I like this group.
    Giving up alchol is hard. I'm not ready like change_agent to just do the one drink thang!
    I've just gone my longest without alcohol and I still think about it every night.
    I still want a drink :ohwell:
    But I find great comfort and support in this group. I can say all this without people being shocked or judging me.
    This group actually holds me accountable and I am proud to be able to check in daily and say another day gone.
    It's becoming almost like a competition with myself and like Monica from Friends said that's the best competition!
    So thankyou everyone for reading my posts, just knowing others struggle too makes me feel I'm doing ok!
    :flowerforyou:

Hey there -
    Glad it is helping you. It is DEFINITELY helping me. Yes, there is something very powerful about being able to say all this stuff out loud. The idea of not being 100% able to handle drinking is so hard to admit to people. But I can't. So glad you are logging. Love reading all your posts.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I caved again last night - but didn't drink too much. Two MGD 64s with my exhusband (we always have a beer or two when he comes to pick up the kids) and then two very small glasses of cab at my dinner date with my hubby last night. I didn't want any more when we left and I didn't have anything when we got home, even though there's beer in the house. But I won't be drinking anything tonight, and that's fine with me. Slept well and feel great today (except for being sore from yesterday's workout!).
  • Change_Agent
    Options
    I caved again last night - but didn't drink too much. Two MGD 64s with my exhusband (we always have a beer or two when he comes to pick up the kids) and then two very small glasses of cab at my dinner date with my hubby last night. I didn't want any more when we left and I didn't have anything when we got home, even though there's beer in the house. But I won't be drinking anything tonight, and that's fine with me. Slept well and feel great today (except for being sore from yesterday's workout!).

sounds like you are doing great with moderation instead of abstinence. good for you. glad you are sleeping well. (That's one thing I cannot do at all it seems even with a small amount of alcohol.) Good night!
  • helenoftroy1
    Options
    teas great isn't it?!
    :ohwell:

I've tried every cup of camomile with essence of....
    I have drunk so much tea I'm peeing every 30 minutes.
    I Want Wine! Give Me The WINE!!!

Day 15 in HoT's AFZ and all is going REALLY well I feel!
    :laugh:
  • Change_Agent
    Options
    teas great isn't it?!

peeing! A good reward for all that tea-tee-hee.

woke up easily and feeling clear/energetic because strongest thing i had yesterday was a hot chocolate. passed favorite wine store yesterday afternoon - really nice crew, great selections, quite the little weekend ritual for me usually - and felt a PANG but am glad didn't give in. feeling good today and looking forward to gym.

way to go on the big 15!!!
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    sounds like you are doing great with moderation instead of abstinence. good for you. glad you are sleeping well. (That's one thing I cannot do at all it seems even with a small amount of alcohol.) Good night!

Yeah, I can do moderation easily when I'm drinking MGD 64s because they're just not all that good... lol I think that's why I buy it (and the fact that there are only 64 calories per bottle). I seriously think the alcohol content in those things is just about nil. However, if I have wine in the house - or open a bottle of it - I have a very hard time with moderation. So I haven't bought any. Haven't bought any beer either; it was just in the house when I decided to cut back. I wish it was gone because I don't plan on buying anymore for a while.

I still wish I hadn't had any at all this weekend - just so I could say that I did it. :(
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options

peeing! A good reward for all that tea-tee-hee.

woke up easily and feeling clear/energetic because strongest thing i had yesterday was a hot chocolate. passed favorite wine store yesterday afternoon - really nice crew, great selections, quite the little weekend ritual for me usually - and felt a PANG but am glad didn't give in. feeling good today and looking forward to gym.

way to go on the big 15!!!

Good for you! This is really awesome! Have fun at the gym!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I failed yesterday and Friday. I had wine 4 glasses both days! :sad: :sad: :sad:

:ohwell: Reboot and get back on track!!
  • helenoftroy1
    Options
    Come on ladies!!! If I can do this, you lot definitely can! Mind over matter! I lost 2 lbs from not drinking these last two weeks.

I really do feel like it's a competition now with myself, but I'm not sure what I win :huh:

I feel like I'd be letting myself down if I did drink

Anyway here's to another day, another night, without wine.

• dunkrobertson
    dunkrobertson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am so impressed with all the posts, whether abstaining or moderating I think we have all come a long way! I don't even crave it during the week anymore. And the daily guilt is basically gone! I definately have more energy and have found that i am even more productive. It is amazing what a daily drinking habit did to my productivity and even my self esteem. Its nice to know that I can do without it. I feel like I am taking control in more ways than one. Thank you for the support it's nice to know I am not in this alone! You guys rock!
  • dunkrobertson
    dunkrobertson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi -
    Helenoftroy: good for you! Knowing what you really want (to just get some down time in front of the TV) and giving it to yourself is half the battle I swear.

Opal24: nice to meet you!

Me: weird experience last night. In keeping with the we-won't-keep-wine-in-the-house rule, my husband called and asked if I wanted to meet him for a glass of wine after work at our favorite place. I said yes. Debated whether to get wine or something NA on way over and once there decided I'd try wine. Kind of like holding my hand over match. In fact, like holding my hand over a match i got a bit burned.

positives: sipped it very slowly, enjoyed the taste (tho gotta say, was not just IN LOVE even tho it was a very good glass of wine and cost as much as we usually spend on a bottle!), didn't get headache, did stop at one (even tho took effort)

negatives: felt anxious, by half a glass down was craving more and almost ordered it (couldn't due to lack of time), started thinking about the bits of vodka we have in the house and wondering if i could maybe have some of that when i got home, noticed it affected us both (tho in past would have thought of that as complete positive, we were just more expansive when talking), had a food tantrum when i got home that was ridiculous. ended up standing at the counter in my high heels and coat eating crackers and butter (favorite combo) and ham slices in a frenzied, unhappy way. he hadn't gotten home yet (out picking up our youngest from play practice). it made me realize that whatever is going on, i am not ready to have a single drink yet - not on an empty stomach for sure and maybe not at all. slept pretty well but woke up a few times despite haven taken 2 Benadryl.

long post, sorry. digest = i need to stop the experiments and just tee-total. thank you all for blazing the path ahead and for reporting on how it is going. going to run to catch up with you and join you on that trail.
    I LOVE how you explained it as a food tantrum!! That is awesome! Gonna use that!
  • opal24
    opal24 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    teas great isn't it?!

Day 15 here for me as well - but it's Diet Coke that's my saviour ..... next thing I'm going to have to do is get rid of that habit .....sigh!
  • Change_Agent
    Options
    I am so impressed with all the posts, whether abstaining or moderating I think we have all come a long way! I don't even crave it during the week anymore. And the daily guilt is basically gone! I definately have more energy and have found that i am even more productive. It is amazing what a daily drinking habit did to my productivity and even my self esteem. Its nice to know that I can do without it. I feel like I am taking control in more ways than one. Thank you for the support it's nice to know I am not in this alone! You guys rock!

Hey there - yes we have all come a long way I think! Way to go for us!

Mommybird1 and others with nights where they drank a lot: at least it's not every night, right? Good for you for keeping with the push to make that the exception.

I feel more energetic too but the amazing thing to me is exactly that: what the little bit of guilt every night and next morning were doing to my self esteem. I have two teenagers in the house and have also been worrying a lot about what sort of model i am to them and now am much more at peace with my (better-sleeping) self.

I am going to start my No Drinks clock a la HofT: i have done 2.

thank you all for the support!
  • kjh1204
    kjh1204 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have realised that my main downfall is my love of cooking. Decided to cook some duck legs yesterday.....the best addition to make it a great meal?....a red wine reduction of course! Unfortunately the meal only required half a bottle of wine so what happened to the rest of it? I drank it. Once i'd started there really wasn't much stopping me and I ended up sharing another bottle with my boyfriend. Starting to think my 'only drink at the weekend' rule needs to be replaced with a 't-total' rule at least for a couple weeks and I'll see how I go from there.

So......from today no more alcohol will pass my lips for two weeks. After that I'll decided if I want to return to the moderation approach as my weight loss is non-existent at the moment and I fear wine is the culprit.

If I get tempted at any point I will post a message on here and all I ask is for someone to tell me off........in the nicest way possible of course!
  • kerry0521
    kerry0521 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had wine (planned) on Saturday night. I think about 3 glasses total, and I felt great on Sunday that I went back to NO wine. I thought about "extending" my weekend fun, but I didn't!