Low Carb Muffin in a Minute!

Options
Laura_beau
Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
edited December 2014 in Social Groups
Hello

I'm going to dedicate this thread to low carb 'MIM's, which for those of you who are unfamiliar with the MIM, these are low carb flax meal muffins, which cook in the microwave in a mere 65 seconds!

Here is the recipe and the method for the original muffin recipe:

Serving Size: 1

1/4 cup flax meal (8.09 total carbs, 7.6 fiber) which is 30 grams in weight
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (0.64 net carbs)
1 packet splenda packet (0.9 net carbs)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (1.84 total carbs, 1.2 fiber)
1 large egg (0.6 net carbs)
1 teaspoon butter

(total carbs is 12.07, fiber is 8.8; net carbs is 3.27)

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute. Try one of the following toppings:

Butter
Cream cheese
Almond butter
Sugar free Jam

Savoury Version:

1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt & black pepper
Herb/spices of choice*
1 large egg
1 teaspoon butter

* Any dried herbs, I like rosemary or sage. You could also add whichever spices you like, so you have a savoury bread to compliment your meal- like adding chilli flakes to go with low carb chilli.

Chocolate Muffin:

1/4 cup flax meal
1 packet splenda
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 large egg
1 teaspoon butter

(5 net carbs)

Try serving the chocolate muffin:

-With whipped or runny heavy cream
- With a sugar free pouring syrup (fudge, vanilla, chocolate).
- Topped with chocolate cream cheese frosting (Made by combining cream cheese, 1 tsp splenda and 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder)

Lemon Poppy Seed MIM:

1/4 cup flax meal
1 packet splenda
1 tsp Lemon extract
1/4 tsp poppy seeds
1 large egg
1 teaspoon butter

4 net carbs,

Try with:

-Whipped or runny heavy cream.
- Sugar free lemon syrup.
- Low carb Lemon curd: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/lemon_curd.html
- Cream cheese & lemon frosting: Mix cream cheese with splenda (1 tsp) and lemon extract.

Mocha (coffee chocolate) MIM:

1/4 cup flax meal
1 packet splenda
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp ground instant coffee
1 large egg
1 teaspoon butter

(5 net carbs)

Coconut MIM

1/4 cup flax meal
1 packet splenda
1 large egg
1 tbsp unsweetened coconut
1 tbsp coconut oil

6g net carbs

MIM recipe & method for sliced bread:

1) Make up the MIM basic mixture without sweetener or spices.

2) Add your desired herbs/spices.

3) Then take a square or rectangular lid from a tupperware-type microwaveable safe dish.

3) Spread half of the MIM mixture on the top of the lid, and microwave as usual, for 60 seconds. When it is cooked turn the lid upside down and just 'pop' the 'slice of bread' onto your worktop or a plate. Repeat this process, letting the second slice cool.

Use your MIM bread as you would with regular bread, you can toast it, or make grilled cheese, or make mini pizzas, or sandwiches.

Feel free to add your own MIM recipes below.

Replies

• joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I might have to try this. I have celiac so I can't have flour, buy I believe flax meal is gluten free.
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Yes, Flax is gluten free.

Also, forgot to add for my fellow UK peeps- Flax seed is also known as Linseed in the UK. Tesco's, Asda & Morrisons all sell linseed and Holland & Barrett sell ground flax/linseed.

Its also easily available on amazon.
  • cassandrap11
    Options
    This looks amazzing!!! Thanks...I'm going to experiment this week and will get you to!!
  • DulceDollie
    Options
    This is useful information to me because I just barely heard about MIMs, and was very interested but unsure of the best ways to make them. Thanks for sharing!
  • joyfulteach
    Options
    If I was to make a peanut butter one could I omit the splenda and butter?
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks you so much for posting these in one location......I'm dying to try one of these!
  • Laura_beau
    Options

I havent tried this but I'm sure you could give it a go! I would omit the splenda if using regular (not sugar free) PB- but if you are using sugar free PB or almond butter (lower carb alternative to PB) I would still use the splenda.

I would expect that the consistency is thicker, so I would let it down with heavy cream or olive oil to a thinner consistency.
  • joyfulteach
    Options

I havent tried this but I'm sure you could give it a go! I would omit the splenda if using regular (not sugar free) PB- but if you are using sugar free PB or almond butter (lower carb alternative to PB) I would still use the splenda.

I would expect that the consistency is thicker, so I would let it down with heavy cream or olive oil to a thinner consistency.

Thanks!!
  • MamaGLUe
    MamaGLUe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yum! Thanks for all the great ideas!
  • gklose
    gklose Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've had these a half-dozen times or so, by now, and lately I've been adding about 2T of frozen wild blueberries. In those cases, I've backed off on the cinnamon a bit (part of that is because we use Penzey's cinnamon -- available by mail order, and their own retail outlets, in the US -- and Penzey's spices are typically very fresh and potent). I also tend to back off on baking powder just a tiny bit, because I found the batter would expand far beyond the range of the mug I've been using.

So I think these are great, but I think they are a little unusual. The way I describe them is that they are extra-moist and dry at the same time. I think you'll figure out what I mean when you try making one.
  • l2rcc
    l2rcc Posts: 14
    Options
    Made the chocolate muffin for dessert last night. That was EXACTLY what I was looking for!!
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    bump
  • suzzee2000
    suzzee2000 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes I'm going to make some this week!
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    bump
  • l2rcc
    l2rcc Posts: 14
    Options
    Did I mention these were awesome?!! Made the 'bread' tonight - had me a real, honest to goodness grilled cheese sandwich!! AMAZING!!!
  • joyfulteach
    Options
    I did the bread tonight too!! So good, grilled cheese with chicken salad.
  • handmademannequin
    Options
    Ohmygoodness. The coconut one sounds amazing. Thank you so much! I'm a new member to the group (first group/forum/post I've made here on MFP) and I really appreciate the ideas. :) Feel free to add me as a friend! I'm doing the keto diet with about 100lbs to lose (so far 5lbs lost while eating delicious bacon and cheese with veggies! [among other things, too])
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    I made the lemon one last night (minus the poppy seeds) and had it with a little whipped cream flavoured with lemon zest.

It was NOMALISCIOUS!
  • melissainez85
    Options
    this morning made the muffin in a short circular dish and used garlic powder and onion powder(1/8teaspoon )salt and pepper so it was a savory muffin i then cut it in half and toasted it WAA LAA i had a spam and egg sandwich!! it was so filling and delicious!
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    bump :smile: