Low Carb Muffin in a Minute!

Options

Replies

• jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I made the chocolate one last night and have to say I'm not impressed. It didn't taste chocolatey at all. It wasn't sweet. It was incredibly dense, IMO. It also tasted a bit salty, too.

What am I doing wrong?

And yes, I used baking POWDER and not soda. I did use Sun Crystals (stevia) instead of Splenda b/c I was out of Splenda. Could that make the difference?
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I made the chocolate one last night and have to say I'm not impressed. It didn't taste chocolatey at all. It wasn't sweet. It was incredibly dense, IMO. It also tasted a bit salty, too.

What am I doing wrong?

And yes, I used baking POWDER and not soda. I did use Sun Crystals (stevia) instead of Splenda b/c I was out of Splenda. Could that make the difference?

Double the sweetener and add a touch of vanilla. Vanilla makes chocolate taste more chocolaty. How old is your baking powder?
  • jcpmoore
    Options
    Oh, the baking powder is ancient. Does that affect it? I picked up a new one, so I can try with that tonight. Thanks!
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I just made the chocolate one, it was so good! I didn't have quite enough flax meal, so I made it with half flax meal and half chia seeds. I also thought to add a bit of vanilla, and I used coconut oil instead of butter. So fluffy, just like cake! It wasn't very sweet, so I poured on a tb. of Torani sugar free vanilla syrup and some heavy cream... amazingness. I need to pick up some more flax meal so I can try the savory ones, but I think I will continue to use chia seeds as well since they have even more fiber. Has anyone figured out a pumpkin version of this?
  • LauraDotts
    Options
    Oh, the baking powder is ancient. Does that affect it? I picked up a new one, so I can try with that tonight. Thanks!

Yes. Baking powder has a short shelf life. If it's too old it won't rise. Throw the old one out. Date the lid of your new one so that you know when you opened it. 6 months is how long you should keep it. Although I've been known to keep it a year. Not any longer than that though.
  • jcpmoore
    Options
    And suddenly I know why my breads have had issues! Thanks so much for that tip about the baking powder. I had picked up a new one 'cause I thought I had lost the old one. Made another with double sweetner and vanilla too-fantastic! Boy did it rise, too!

Wanted to know- can you use oil instead of butter and have them come out as good? I have a tough time getting the butter to mix in and I prefer the oil anywho usually.

Thanks so much for these! Can't wait to make the bread version for my chicken burgers this weekend!
  • jcpmoore
    Options
    Has anyone figured out a pumpkin version of this?

Yes! I found this recipe today, codapea:

http://www.food.com/recipe/very-low-carb-pumpkin-muffin-in-a-minute-mim-462866

Looks pretty simple, though if you use canned pumpkin you'll need a way to store the rest. :)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can use oil instead of butter. I use evoo to make these all the time.

another MIM usage:

I made rosemary croutons using the savoury MIM recipe with added rosemary & garlic powder- then let it cool slightly before cutting it into cubes and frying in evoo until crispy. Then scatter on your soup/ stew.
  • LauraDotts
    Options
    Yes, you can use oil instead of butter. I use evoo to make these all the time.

another MIM usage:

I made rosemary croutons using the savoury MIM recipe with added rosemary & garlic powder- then let it cool slightly before cutting it into cubes and frying in evoo until crispy. Then scatter on your soup/ stew.
    Brilliant! I will have to try this.
  • cjthurman
    cjthurman Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ok - I think I'm doing something wrong with these...they just seem to have no flavor at all. I switched to half golden flax and half almond meal which actually made them edible for me but - they have zero taste. Tonight I tried it with pumpkin, pumpkin spice and a center of cream cheese. Zero taste...could maybe taste the pumpkin slightly...but if I didn't know there was pumpkin in it - I wouldn't have been able to place it. Maybe I'm not using enough spice? I think I put in 1/2 tsp. Also put in 1 Tbl of pumpkin.

Thoughts?
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Ok - I think I'm doing something wrong with these...they just seem to have no flavor at all. I switched to half golden flax and half almond meal which actually made them edible for me but - they have zero taste. Tonight I tried it with pumpkin, pumpkin spice and a center of cream cheese. Zero taste...could maybe taste the pumpkin slightly...but if I didn't know there was pumpkin in it - I wouldn't have been able to place it. Maybe I'm not using enough spice? I think I put in 1/2 tsp. Also put in 1 Tbl of pumpkin.

Thoughts?

Hey- I can't give advice on pumpkin MIMs (Pumpkin pie isn't a UK thing) but tweak your sweetner (perhaps put in more) and more spice? Also, I would always make your own spice blends because the shop bought ones are usually made of ollllllllld spices. Ground spices do not spoil but they definately loose their potency and flavour. Ground spices have a shelf life of 1 year and after that they go bland.

If you are makeing fruit or chocolate MIMs add a good quality flavouring like vanilla extract which will boost flavour. I make a really nice mint choc one using peppermint extract, and a nice choc raspberry one using raspberry extract.
  • cjthurman
    cjthurman Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips - I think if I can get a little taste in there, I'll be good so I'll try and increase the spices and make sure they are fresh. Also, I'm going to try the lemon as I just bought some lemon extract (lemon extract doesn't seem to have added sugar so I'm not sure if it has carbs? But vanilla does have carbs apparently...).

P.S. Pumpkin pie / cheesecake, etc. is so good! ;)
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Bump for later cooking... this sounds so easy even i couldnt mess it up...
  • betoarango
    Options
    Bumped?
  • betoarango
    Options
    Finally got to try them...
    Mine were quite good but they deflated to about half their size...Should I add some more baking powde (jut bought it yesterday)r? will try that next time, or maybe try a wider mug so that it doesnt have to go quite so high...
    They were awesome with butter and sugar free Polaner blueberry jam.
    Ill try the wide spread (square top) alternative see if less weight on the "loaf" makes it stay up... Im looking forward to a grilled cheese sandwich... yummmm
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bump
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    MIM update!

I made a raspberry sweet MIM this morning, using the sweet mim recipe (minus any cinnamon) and added about 6 raspberries (blended into the egg) and a few drops of raspberry flavouring (not essential but made the flavour more intense).

I topped it with a little cream cheese, mixed with a few more drops of raspberry flavouring.

Hi I usually just lurk in the background reading but today I had to pop my head out and say Thanks for the muffin in a minute recipes. I have not eaten flax before so this will be a new experience.

I have been low to mod carb since March 2012 and thank Atkins for helping me with induction to kick the sugar addiction to the curb, it took 3 weeks of carb flu to do it. I cannot handle 20 carbs or less anymore it brings too drastic of mood swings and symptoms with my health issues I cannot handle. I try to stay under 50 carbs but mainly hit 70 carbs a day but I am still losing inches even though not in ketosis.
  • clare_smiles
    clare_smiles Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have really enjoyed having the option of a MIM. I make mine with Swerve Sweetener and just started adding a 1/2 scoop of Whey protein- I love this version- much less "flax" tasting _more carbs, but more protein too! Also, I sometimes add 1/4c of Blueberries or 1/2 chopped apple.

Thanks to everyone who shared their ideas so I could put together something that works for me!
  • Chechamoneta
    Options
    Now that I'm re-starting my low carb, this will be something to look forward too, so I can pack me some lunches for work.
  • Denisejonel
    Denisejonel Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing! Will be trying these muffins!:smile: