NY Cheesecake morph

Options

Replies

• dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    1. That's in the near future. I've yet to look at possibilities but I want to do a work up for a ricotta version.

2. Room temperature is baking 101. With this recipe, it's particularly important for the cream cheese to be room temp or you won't have a nice silky batter.

3. Yep, just a regular old cake pan. I have a 9 and 10 inch spring form but it's too big a cake to make disappear Ina regular night. Lol. Those pans are really nice though!

4. I will try the sugar free syrup now that I know what the real thing tastes like. Making bacon in the oven was much cleaner than in a frying pan. I learned something new, haha.

As far as the collapse goes, I'm guessing there is too much air incorporated into the batter? Are you beating it on high or with a wisk like attachment like we use for fluff? If that's all you have just slow the speed down to medium or medium low. That should solve your problem. If using a stand mixer, see if you can get the paddle attachment which mixes without adding as much air. Finally you could also tap the sides of the bowl to get any air bubbles to rise before baking.

What do you think about using dextrose instead
    Of stevia?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Of stevia?

May as well just use sugar? same same? I take it you want to up the carbs.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers.

I think the combination of not going to room temp & beating on too high would be the issue then. Haven't done a cheesecake for a little while but I was using my old stand mixer last time that just had a regular beating attachment. My new mixer has a paddle attachment so I'll use that & just beat on low. I'll give it another crack later on this week. Got another cake project to try tonight :tongue:

You will nail the batter for sure with paddle. I do mine on medium speed. Once all ingredients are in, I've let it go up to 4 minutes without problems.
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options

Of stevia?

May as well just use sugar? same same? I take it you want to up the carbs.
    Thinking of making it as a post workout :)
  • gp79
    Options
    If you want to up the carbs, add a graham cracker crust. As much or as little as you want really. Or animal crackers but to keep it crunchy, add it after the cake bakes and has chilled.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Maple Protein Cheesecake with candied bacon topper drizzled with pure maple syrup. Shown...761 Calories, 88g protein, 55g carbs, 19g fat

Let's see the recipe for this one!
  • gp79
    Options
    It's the same recipe as what's posted + 2 tbsp of maple syrup (or more if you want). For the candied bacon, coat uncooked bacon with a sugary product (I've used brown sugar and granulated splenda but maple syrup, honey, agave or possibly sugar free versions), a little flour and if you want spice, add some cayenne. Bake it in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes or so. Crumble and sprinkle on top or press to the bottom or sides if you want a crust.
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    Heaven. Making one this week!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I am totally making this tonight.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I bought spreadable cream cheese. I forgot you could even get any other type. Reckon this will be ok? It's basically like it's pre-beaten really. Attempting tonight. Way too excited to cook a cheesecake :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Yep it'll be fine Chris, its exactly the same, just has some air whipped into it... so I guess that just means less time in the mixer. Win!
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    thanks mate. Hmm. Seeing as how I was attempting to reduce the amount of air in the cake as is maybe I should go and get some block stuff. I'm happy to use the spreadable elsewhere anyway. (mixed it with acai berry powder last night & was delicious!)
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    GP79's NY style cheesecake 4 serves (but really just 2 :tongue:)

269 cals 31P/16C/8F
    2012%2B-%2B1

For the aussies I used
    450g Philidelphia extra light cream cheese spreadable (couldn't find this in a block)
    150g hansell lite homemade yoghurt
    2 eggs
    2 whites
    1/2 cup granulated splenda
    1 tbspn vanilla extract
    50g vanilla casein
    1/4 tspn table salt

Used 6" pan.

Baked at 160C for 30mins. Then turned it right down as it was already browning up.

Total macros for the cake were 1075 cals 126P/65C/33F

I'd say the difference in macros is down to the fat in the cream cheese. We don't get "no fat" cream cheese just low fat. When I was looking for them some of them are ridiculously **** macros LOL 8P/36C/4F per 100g for one. I just looked at it & said "fark that!"
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    OP thank you for this. seriously, this is gold.
  • kidsmoke
    kidsmoke Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    GP79's original posting of the cheesecake got me so worked up I actually went into Michael's craft store in search of a spring form cake pan. Some places a man just shouldn't go in his life. Anyway here's the original recipe. Was damn good and I'll have to give the chocolate one a try soon.

oi9l53.jpg
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Just joined this group and going to give the first recipe a go tonight, it looks amazing and I really hope mine comes out somewhere near as good looking as the OP's!!
  • icewindfirex
    Options
    So excited, this is in my oven right now.

I can't wait to take a picture tonight! :D

Toppings: Thinking fat free whip cream and chocolate syrup?

NOWAIT.
    cut up strawberries with splenda mmmm
  • icewindfirex
    Options
    9dad530a.jpg

Not as pretty as OP, but I'm happy with it ~ it tastes yummy and it's my first homemade cheesecake :D
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Good stuff :)

I think it could be GP79's mad camera skills as well :tongue:
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Cant wait to make this! Thanks for the aussie version Chris :)