Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I will go to zumba, I will go to zumba I will go to zumba.

We are going camping this weekend, so I won'f get in my third lift this week because I have a BOE meeting tomorrow. I lifted yesterday (my back is awake today) and go to zumba tonight. I changed my clothes as soon as I got home, and that motivates me to walk out the door. If I don't walk out, my husband will usually push me out lol.

Eat the chocolate, you'll feel better, scientifically proven ;)
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I took a nap. I ate two pieces of chocolate (stolen STOLEN from DH's stash). And the pizza is in the oven. I'm not lifting tonight. I'm exhausted and I want a break. I deserve it.
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Did stage 2B! Holy cow holy burn. Those reverse lunges with forward pushes are frickin HARD! I think I did Bulgarian split lunges wrong looks like you have to just put the top of your raised foot down. Did not have it in ^me to do HIIT so took the dog for a walk.HIIT tomorrow.

Red stage 2 is the bomb!

Not sticking to cals, hungry. Also love food.

Great to hear everyone sticking to this!
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I feel much the same as you, sunshine, as I also did Stage2B1 today. I am pretty sure I did the BSS right but only used 10lb dumbells to make sure I had the form right and that my chest stayed up. They felt challenging since I was still sore from the moves on Monday in part A :P I had planned to leave the HIIT for tomorrow so without that, the workout took an hour.

Let's see: I hated using the step for the deadlifts. It just felt so pointless, and awkward. Has anyone just gone ahead with normal DLs instead? I couldn't just roll the bar up my toes the way the book described; I had to lift it onto my step, in front of my toes, and I from there, so it really wasn't any greater a range of motion than regular DLs. Since the book says the whole point of the step is to increase range of motion, I think I should forgo the step. Thoughts?

Otherwise it went well. Here are my numbers:

Deadlifts: 65 lbs

Lat pulldowns: the 75 I was doing in stage 1 felt pretty easy so I will try 90lb next week

Reverse lunges with forward reach: 10lb dumbells as mentioned above

Bulgarian split squats: I held a 25 pound plate. I feel I could go heavier but the next plate is 45lb which will be too hard. Not sure how to proceed here.

Dumbbell prone Cuban snatches: I used 5lb dumbells and that was too easy. I will use 8s next time. I found it a little uncomfortable for my boobs though!

Stability ball crunches I did with straight/long overhead arms as I did the weighted ones in Stage 1 and wanted something harder. It definitely was!

Reverse crunches I did on the incline bench.

For the flexion exercise I skipped over the hannahs and did the ones on the stability ball. Much more challenging for me. My core seems strong even though it's still flabby! :P

Prone cobra was no problem for 60 seconds although I forgot to do it twice :P
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Pudding, just do a regular DL if you felt awkward doing the DL from a box. I don't know why it's even in NROL4W- it's actually an advanced exercise. I've always struggled with them. If you really want to work on your range of motion, you can continue doing them, but be really careful- it's easier to hurt your back.

Sunshine, yes, rest the top of your foot on the step for a BSS. I love the BSS!

Did my last A workout of Basic Training II today. Finished my RDLs at 145lbs for 3 sets of 10. Assisted chin-ups were MUCH easier- I actually did pullups for the last set (I find them much harder). I ran for 30 secs at 11 mph for my HIIT. Overall I'm happy with my progress!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    No gi distress so I ate all day. Chocolate coffee wine you name it- I am not taking my stomach for granted ever again.
    I definitely feel better after chocolate.

Back at lifting tomorrow - I will do BT 3 a and I am excited to try new exercises like inverted rows.

Pudding anyone who finds the Cuban snatch easy is strong!!!!

Bb we are almost in sync with supercharged. I am impressed by your rack dls.

Sunshine sounds like you had a good workout.
    Sam and runza hang in there.
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Couple notes on my gym - it was sooo busy last night up in that free weight room, trying to get the right machines grab a step, find the right weights, navigate all those men who totally look like they know what they're doing. And there's usually like 1-2 really buff women who look badass. Then ^me and my somewhat flabby middle aged self. It is really intimidating sometimes. LOL it takes courage to even do this program at a public gym.

I totally forgot to do that prone back bend one at the end. I did get some good numbers. Agree w pudding about the dead lift in this stage. So I get all my stuff together, and then it's like ok now I have to pick up this heavy weight and get up on this step. I get up there but it feels more risky or something and my grip feels like it's sliding at the end. I did get 105# 10 reps but you're right cowgirl it seemed like an advanced move.

Did the Bulgarian wrong then, had used 20# dumbbells but I think the foot must make a difference, so I'll drop back down next time.

Cuban snatch - all the lower weight dumbbells were in use so I had to grab 10# plates. Worked out ok, but like I said, this move is awkward. I use a trainer at the beginning of each stage for moves I don't get, he was making fun of this one.

Those Hanna flexions were kinda hard it's like you feel it right in your butt and hips in a really specific spot in your side abs. Tried the reverse crunches on an incline, like pudding did.

Tonight: I run. Intervals. And try to stay within my cals, which I've been breaking almost every day. What can I say I'm HUNGRY.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I've been so hungry too. Been staying *just* within my calories each day. And I am so tired every night. I've been sleeping like a log!
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Pudding - I am the opposite, I have hardly slept a wink beginning this past Monday....I am hoping to do so soon...else I will go crazy...

In other news, I think the "New Year" crowd has finally disappeared, and once again we can get down to serious business at the gym!
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Wow I have missed a lot! Ya'll are doing great :)

I have a tiny rant about some rando in the gym that kept offering his very unsolicited advice yesterday. I'm just starting to do my 1 legged partial squats, earbuds in, totally focused. This older man walks up, I keep focused, but can tell he's trying to make eye contact. He gestures something towards his eyes.*Earbuds out*, "I'm sorry, what?" Rando: "You should close your eyes while you're doing that." Me: "Um, no, I think I'd fall over." R: "No, no, try it. Do it." *Humors older man and tries one - instantly feels the world tilting - opens eyes again* "Nope, sorry, ain't gonna happen" *Earbuds back in* He seems to be saying "Try again". I finish off my set and get ready for lat pulldowns. He WATCHES me on my next set of partial squats!! :noway: :grumble: and seems to gesture more and say "try again, try again". I am now making non-committal grunts and nods towards him. Very annoyed. Okay, done with weight area, need to end with abs and intervals. Same dude walks by me as I'm headed to cardio, gestures and says something a.freaking.gain. What the eff. Give it up!

Anyone who knows anything about me knows that even with all my faculties intact, I'm about as clumsy as a newborn foal. Taking away a sense on a one-legged squat, is just asking for a cast. I knowwww, he probably meant well. But what's with WATCHING ME? And continuing to offer the advice that I'm clearly NOT going to take??

Usually no one bothers me in the gym. I think I have that stank "don't talk to me" face, and frankly I don't care. I'm there to work, and get out. I blame my overly colorful workout clothes and my fresh-from-work-makeup that probably made me look friendlier that I usually do. Lol.

Sorry, not-so-tiny-rant over. I'm finished with Stage 3 and moving straight on to 4 tomorrow!! :drinker:
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Sunshine, I feel for those of you who have to fight the guys for the weights! I've been blessed to be able to work out at a ladies only gym that has incredible free weights. I almost never have to wait for the rack or cable machine. Usually when I have to wait, it's because someone is using the TRX system that is attached to the squat rack pull-up bar.

When I start a new stage of a program, I always get soooo hungry!

Bepee, my gym has become more busy. I was hoping it would calm down- guess everyone is getting ready for bikini season. Doesn't bother me much, but most of them sit on the machines and stare at me while I'm using the barbells....

WillLift, sounds a little fishy....I can't imagine anyone doing partial squats with their eyes closed. I don't like to talk to people when I'm working out either.

Last workout of BTII tomorrow.
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You guys are doing great. I, however, am not doing as well. I got my lift in Tuesday, and the plan was to do one tonight. I have a cold, and yesterday I ate around 3400 calories. Yikes. I have an appointment today to follow up on my foot sprain, to see if there is a fracture before I start marathon training/pay the registration for the COlumbus full marathon.

In other news I was reading about good squat form, and realized I do not have that. I do not get low enough to activate my quads becuase I only go down until my heels lift from the ground. My calves are super tight apparently from running, so this doesn't even get me parallel. It was recommended to me that I practice form with a PVC pipe to loosen up (I do go to yoga 1x weekly, heels don't touch in down dog either). Instead of skipping my squats while I work on this I am planning on using 2.5# plates to raise my heels so I can get past 90 degrees, and work on the range of motion outside of NROL workouts. and remove the plates when I can. Any feedback?
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Rz, Your heels come up when squatting? I've never heard of that. Yes practice practice practice. Press down those heels and push back up with them. I like box squats. Start out with a bench and then when you have good form begin lowering the squat. I use steps at the gym for that.

Lifting day. I will try to do some HIIT too. It's been almost 2 weeks. Probably not a good day for it. Today is arm and leg day.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,991 Member
    Options
    WillLift4Tats - how *old* was *older guy*....because if you spit out "in his 40's", i might have to deck you, lol! In all seriousness, sometimes dudes are just being dudes and they WATCH WOMEN. The end. It isn't personal, AT ALL. I get that you want to "do your thing", but girls/guys are NOT the same! Having said that, i hope that dude and you do NOT (ever) have to cross paths, again!

BBCowgirl - will you post results after your last work-out??

rzarley - yikes that you can't get to parallel in the squat! Do you wear absolutely flat-soled shoes (i.e. not cross-trainers or runners, for example) when you lift?

manic - what HIIT are you doing, again?

It is gonna hit 25 degrees today....I'm gonna GO OUTSIDE at some point and just WALK IN THE SUN. BOOM!
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Beeps, I wear running shoes, because I run sometimes over 5 miles at the gym and I cannot bring myself to have 2 pairs of indoor only shoes. I could try to find some converse I guess. I know that the drop on running shoes shifts your center of gravity. But my shoes have a fairly minimal drop while still not being super minimalist shoes. I will be practicing range of motion aiming for form that a young toddler uses to pick up stuff. Its possible that it is less a range of motion issue and more a balance issue.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Beeps, usually I get on the elliptical. Today I used the stationary bike. I almost went 2 miles in 10 minutes. I guess that's good....??? I was spinnin' like the devil was after me every 1.5 minutes
  • runzalot81
    Options
    Yesterday was nap and chocolate day. Today, I was doing some negative self talk on the way home from work. I'm tired of Stage 3. I'm tired of not seeing any changes at all. I'm just sick and tired.

So, I immediately changed into workout clothes, checked all my calories, told myself to deload the snatch and work on form. I'll worry about HIIT when I'm done lifting. One thing at a time :sick:
  • runzalot81
    Options
    Didn't have to worry about HIIT. Today was BWM. Beat my previous 2:04 by one second :drinker:
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    You guys are doing great. I, however, am not doing as well. I got my lift in Tuesday, and the plan was to do one tonight. I have a cold, and yesterday I ate around 3400 calories. Yikes. I have an appointment today to follow up on my foot sprain, to see if there is a fracture before I start marathon training/pay the registration for the COlumbus full marathon.

In other news I was reading about good squat form, and realized I do not have that. I do not get low enough to activate my quads becuase I only go down until my heels lift from the ground. My calves are super tight apparently from running, so this doesn't even get me parallel. It was recommended to me that I practice form with a PVC pipe to loosen up (I do go to yoga 1x weekly, heels don't touch in down dog either). Instead of skipping my squats while I work on this I am planning on using 2.5# plates to raise my heels so I can get past 90 degrees, and work on the range of motion outside of NROL workouts. and remove the plates when I can. Any feedback?
    I hope you feel better quick!
    Box squats have helped my squat form immensely - http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/box-squat
    Foam rolling and some stretching exercises before your workout may help too. If you google "limber 11" or "agile 8" you'll find a great flexibility routine.
    ETA: I also like to squat and DL barefoot. So I just kick my shoes off for those exercises - I wear low profile cross trainers for the rest of the workout and my HIIT.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Manic, sounds like an effective HIIT routine. I love HIIT for the calorie burning effects and the cardiovascular benefits, but I hate how much water my muscles retain when I do it. My thighs grow when I do sprints. I suppose it's worth it.

Runz, that's a great time. Wow!

Beeps, will do. These stages are only 8 workouts each, so there's not a lot of progress in each stage, but I'm now 15 workouts into Supercharged and I'm seeing results.