Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    It's in my lower back. Nothing has bothered them and it's not that I can't do anything, I just need to work on the muscles more. Though I never feel rows in the upper back where we are supposed to actually. Had the grit strength instructor put her hand on my back and she can feel them working but I don't during the motions. I'm mostly looking at some spare things to add along with the stretches and trx moves the PT had me do in order to add work focused on just the lower back and core.

I saw an interesting youtube video on what to do when stalling in lifts. The basics were to change things up and do some different rep schemes (even if it's at a lower weight). I follow "Train Untamed" on youtube and it was one of his videos that discussed things to do when struggling to improve strength.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Evening lifting session. I actually took a nap this morning then did some errands and spent way too much time sitting on the computer not being productive. Oh well. Tomorrow is my rest day and I get to cashier, lucky me... Well, we don't need photo cause someone is coming to get the machines ready for their removal as we are getting new, non-chemical based equipment. So, I'll work on a little stretching and foam rolling tomorrow. I did do a little of the TRX stuff and foam rolled before lifting tonight. And I did feel a bit in my upper back after the pendlay rows when I was doing the good mornings, so that was interesting. An okay work out but went a little earlier than normal and tuesday night is often busy.

Workout A

squat 3x5 @ 140 - rough, the first set in particular as I was in my head struggling with all of the things to work on. Sit back, don't go too low so don't round, don't go too far forward either, etc. Once I shook it off a bit things got better.

bench press 3x5 @ 90 - yay. I used to fail at this one though not sure I could do 5 sets, maybe.

p-row 3x5 @ 100 - heavy. I should go a little lower and work up on these cause they are tough but the stacking plates is such a pain even with the 25's on. I really hope to one day make it to 135 on these.

accessories:
    good morning 3x10 @ 60 - these were usual though a tad better than last time
    rdl 3x8 @ 80 - easy enough
    hip thrust 3x10 @ 60 - the 70 was in use so did lower but still really felt it

Not bad overall. Leg press was in use so I couldn't do that one. Ready for a rest day though cause yay sleep.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I had a bit of a setback with a stomach virus. Even as the virus was setting in (Monday morn), I ran 3 mi and attempted to do workouts A&B from the first round. I felt weak and wasn't sure why... but I DID squat more than normal. The rest of my sets were equal to or lower in weight than the previous workout.

A question... Can I repeat the first round, just adding weight? I think I want to do it again... I'm new to lifting so I'm taking it slow and I think that's good for me.

• DawnEmbers
    Options
    @janiep81 - you probably could repeat a stage if you really want. Some follow the book exact and others end up tweaking things here and there to fit their needs better.

Early day lifting as it's another freight day at work. We're in the process of getting new photo machines so things are a little weird and my close shifts will feel different soon since the evening maintenance on the new machines is minimal in comparison to the old ones. Gym was busy since it was around 10 when I was lifting, so I had to wait some but not too much.

Workout B

low bar squat 3x5 @ 115 - kept to this one, not bad

overhead press 3x5 @ 60 - manageable though last couple were a push, like doing the 3 sets for it

deadlift 1x5 warm up @ 135 then 1x5 @ 155 - dropped weight down and will work up in increments of 5.

accessories:
    lat pulldown 3x10 @ 60 - fine, increasing reps then will increase weight
    bicep curl 3x8 @ 40 - tad too heavy, but 30 wasn't nearby so used the 40
    wrist curl 3x10 @ 12.5 - need to work on the wrists so added it back in
    shrugs 3x10 @ 27.5 - manageable

Now I'm eating food and getting ready for work so I can go move stuff around. Fun times.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Janie, go for it. No problems with repeating a stage, I do it sometimes due to unexpected time off etc.

Slow and steady is my motto lol

It's snowing at the farm. It's snowing at my brother's place. That's 2.5hours from here. I'm in the sub-tropics....
    We can't get there today, and it's killing me lol Hoping it hangs around and I can convince the husband to go for a drive after footy tomorrow morning :wink:

Off to the freaking cold garage to get my session done for the day.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Jo-I hear you. I had to totally reload my squat earlier this year coming off my back injury and just now have worked back up to 85 lbs! And that was hard on Monday! I'm frustrated with it myself. My lower back is still a mess with a severel compressed disc . I do need to do something about it, but prefer to ignore it and hope it goes away. I have to skip dls all together now, same back is use, but like doing the leg press. Feels like my legs are getting a good workout, doesn't hurt my back. I know many lifters don't like the leg Press, but I like it and wht.

Dawn-interesting about other strengthening options for your arthritis, hope they help!

DNA-I'd take a little cold winter right about now.
    Nice to reassess and refocus. You're doing so well, it'll be neat to show off those muscles this summer. :)

I got to the gym Monday to lift, yay, and Wednesday for a weights class (a zillion reps with light weight, but kicked my butt!) I plan to lift again tomorrow, but my car just died :(. Hopefully it's just a battery or the cable and Dh can fix it tonight. He leaves for a11 days away from work tomorrow. Thankful for back up cars :).

Not much else going on, I went back to low carb, I feel better and more in control eating less crap. Hopefully it'll help me relose the 10-15lbs I picked up the past 2 months. Still too much work an stress where my mom and her house is concerned...but not much I can do about that either. One day at a time :)
  • dnamouse
    Options
    I don't like winter.
    I don't like wind.
    I don't like cold.

Just saying :wink:

But I got my lifting done. AND the groceries, with children in tow.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new.
    DawnEmbers pointed me to this group :) so thank you to her!

I've just started and I LOVE it. I've been looking for something to stick with. Something that I can enjoy doing. I used to run years ago and found enjoyment out of that. I tried it again a few months ago and I HATED it. It's just not for me. I was doing the S90 workout videos for a while and liked the weights parts so decided to check out what it takes to really start lifting. I found NR's and was really happy with it.
    I have a few weights at home, but I also workout at my work gym. It's a small gym with mostly guys. I find I have to the "*kitten*" to be able to get any space. ( Seriously, just finding room on the floor is tight lol) but.. I don't care... I love it!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I wrote a long post and lost it. In essence, DLs were better today. Did combat tonight. All good.

dna - also hating winter. I did my grocery shop with kids and one of their friends :) We seem to have good holidays and bad ones - this wasn't the worst, but it was hard work. Kids have been stir crazy as weather has been so wet it is hard to get out. The gym is the only reason any sanity remains. Well, the gym and wine. And peanut butter.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    @majigurl - Glad you found it and welcome. :smile:

Cardio day for me. 3.5 mile run, roughly since I go by time and am not 100 percent on the distance. The previous long ones were supposed to be 3 miles but I just did my 5k playlist, so I just added a 2 minute song to add a little distance. I'll probably add about 6 minutes every .5 mile added in the program.

I don't like how hot summer can get and randomly when I'm cold in summer. I lied down on the couch a little while after jogging because I was tired and cold. Hot shower helped but now I'm cold again. Plus, having a slight reaction to the dairy I've consumed on a too regular basis. My hands are itchy (they end up itchy from scratching the random itches as my reaction can be a bit all over but didn't think at the time it might be starting up) and don't like the hot water. Going to have to cut out dairy for over a week to get the itchy factor to stop.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Not bad day overall. Spent hours at work staring at crackers and cookies because I was changing it all around in order to get rid of stuff we won't have out anymore and have space for the new stuff that we will have. Some of the new cookies sound good. mmmm

Workout A

high bar squat 3x5 @ 140 - still felt a little heavy but I might do 145 next A day

bench press 2x5 and 1x3 @ 95 - almost made it through, will need to repeat next time

p-row 3x5 @ 100 - not easy but think I might try 105 next time

accessories:
    clean 3x8 @ 65 - eh, though got better when I didn't wrap my thumb around the bar
    front squats 3x8 @ 65 - less than last time, right hand/wrist still got cranky by the end
    back extension 2x8 @ 25 - okay but was tired

Now for some sleep so I can jog in the morning then go to work since I offered to take the extra day this week so only get 1 day off. Was so hot today that it's going to be hard getting to sleep.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I skipped the Sunday morning jog, so had two easy days off which my feet enjoyed. This morning was the 2 mile jog. Nice cause it wasn't hot out this morning but breathing was a little more challenging than normal. Oh well. Tonight I will go lift weights at the gym.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Nice work Dawn.

I upped my bench reps yesterday so happy with that. Done a lot of combat to fix the amount of peanut butter consumed last week. Busy this week so lifting will be tues/ thurs/ sat. Squat day thurs but still thinking of swapping to leg press for a while - have tried many things to fix the squat and wondering if it's all just too much in my head now. At least the DLs are improving!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    majigurl wrote: »
    Hi! I'm new.
    DawnEmbers pointed me to this group :) so thank you to her!

I've just started and I LOVE it. I've been looking for something to stick with. Something that I can enjoy doing. I used to run years ago and found enjoyment out of that. I tried it again a few months ago and I HATED it. It's just not for me. I was doing the S90 workout videos for a while and liked the weights parts so decided to check out what it takes to really start lifting. I found NR's and was really happy with it.
    I have a few weights at home, but I also workout at my work gym. It's a small gym with mostly guys. I find I have to the "*kitten*" to be able to get any space. ( Seriously, just finding room on the floor is tight lol) but.. I don't care... I love it!

Welcome!! Glad to have you here with us! Good job making room at your gym :).

DNA-hang in there...spring should be coming soon!
    Jo-glad you upped your dl! And your bench too? Good week!
    Dawn-a few rest days are good sometimes too!

I'm adding back a class once a week. Makes me work a bit harder, and a lot of reps! And abs! Ouch! Still lifting heavy twice a week. Twits progress for me lately!

Heading out of town tomorrow just overnight with my girls. Getting out the heat! Enjoy winter... The grass is always greener!
  • dnamouse
    Options
    Welcome majigurl! :smile:

I'm coming down with a cold. NOT happy.

But I have bought most of my girl's birthday presents. She's turning 12 on Friday :heart:

I just don't want to get sick when I have so much to get done for her birthday. Cupcakes for school, "cheesecake" for Friday dinner and double-layered polka dot cake for her party on Sunday. Not too mention the other "polka dot" themed food, party bags and whatnot.

But I found her a Black Widow bobble head today that will pretty much assure me the Most Excellent Mother Award on Friday from my gorgeously geeky child :smiley:

I have a workout scheduled today. Might see if I can slowly get it done. It's only the pull-up session of S&P2, so no worries about going too heavy. Hopefully it might clear my head a little. Either that, or I'll be resting completely tomorrow... or maybe not. Just realised tomorrow is Thursday, and that's when I need to bake lol
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Long day today since I didn't have work but I made cupcakes tonight as tomorrow is coworker's going away party thing. She went and got promoted so is going to be working from a different store and we're will all miss here even though she's just going to be a few miles away. It was busy still after 10:30 pm at the gym cause Tuesday night and I ended up waiting a little more than usual. Also, had to go a little out of order at times. Squats felt fine but it's hard to tell cause I never though much about my knees tracking over my toes yet the trainers at this gym seem to find that problematic. Deadlift felt a bit heavy and I'm just going to go with anything above body weight feels heavy and keep trying to lift heavier each time.

Workout B

low bar squat 3x5 @ 120 - felt fine to me.

OHP 3x5 @ 65 - made it through. I like the 3 sets for this one. Going to try 70 next time.

leg press 3x10 @ 180 - fine enough, out of order cause deadlift spot was occupied. Need to increase next Tuesday.

good morning 2x10 @ 55 - waiting for deadlift spot, it was easy cause I've done 60 before

deadlift 1x5 @ 135 warm up then 1x5 @ 160 - okay but 160 feels heavy

good morning 2x10 @ 60 - i usually do 3x10 but moving around to get to do lifts affected that

rdl 3x10 @ 80 - not bad, I should try with the regular bar so I can move up by 5 (will run out of fixed bars anyways)
    hip thrust 3x10 @ 70 - managed but awkward, also need to move where I do this but can't get the courage to try on the benches.
  • dnamouse
    Options
    Today is my girl's 12th birthday :smile:

The grin on her face when she opened the parcel with the Black Widow bobble head in it was brilliant! She was stoked.

And now I have to finish prepping dinner and tidy up for her little dinner tonight.

She's going to help me with party prep tomorrow.

I was a bit sad to not be able to make her pancakes this morning - I'm definitely sick, but hoping it clears away soon. A gentle session in the gym has cleared my head a little, but I'm hoping and praying I don't get another sinus infection. The last one I got knocked me out of commission for 2-3 weeks. When I get properly sick, my body doesn't do things by halves :wink:

But! I will prep the mix and make her pancakes tomorrow! Three day birthdays are all the rage y'know :smiley:
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    woot pancakes! Good luck on the feeling better part, @dnamouse

I lifted weights earlier today but didn't get up when I had my alarm set. Instead, both me and the cat fell back asleep. I got done before work but had to rush the shower and eating lunch.

Workout A

high bar squat 3x5 @ 145 - decent and it's almost bodyweight so that's fun.

bench press 2x5 and 1x4 @ 95 - almost but didn't quite have it for the last one

p-row 3x5 @ 105 - not pretty. I should de-load to 85 and work on form but tire of stacking the plates, pesky rows

Accessories:
    lat pulldown 3x12 @ 60 - will increase next time
    pull up progression attempt - found a use for the smith machine :wink: set the bar low enough and did 3x5 pulls at an angle with goal to work up towards one day doing pull up
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Despite not wanting to get up this morning, I managed to pull myself out of bed and jogged 3.5 miles at the park.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,960 Member
    Options
    Bruges!

mwh6e4y9w3r0.jpg