Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    mmm chocolate...

Day off from work, so that was nice. Not much in the area for gyms though I still need to check the pricing on one. Ended up taking a nap late afternoon due to headache, so I didn't accomplish much on the computer that needs done. I did get to the gym though and lifted, so that was good. My squats are now up just above body weight, so that's nice since my pendlay rows I had to drop back to 95, which I can do okay but increasing is proving a challenge. And I managed to get the 70 fixed bar back on a top spot on the stands, which I didn't think I was going to be able to do at the end of the workout, so that was good.

Workout A

high bar squat 3x5 @ 150 - Went slow but did okay. Yay for just above bodyweight.

bench 3x5 @ 95 - Made it. Took 3-4 minute rests but I didn't fail the last set this time.

leg press 3x8 @ 190 - finally increased and did this while waiting for spot to do the rows.

p-row 3x5 @ 95 - considered dropping to 85 but did this instead, I've got this weight down, it's above that gets iffy.

rdl 3x10 @ 80 - easy enough
    hip thrust 3x10 @ 70 - might be able to increase next time

good morning 3x10 @ 50 - used the fixed weight and no rack, so had to clean the bar each time but easy enough.

Overall, not bad. Now to finish up on the computer and go to bed. Sleepy and need to ponder gym options and maybe novels cause I need to write tomorrow.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I deadlifted 2x15 @ 100#s on Monday. That felt good. It was heavy but definitely do-able. My glutes and hamstrings are sore, but in a good way. :)

Some dude corrected my form. It needed to be corrected (and I'm thankful I didn't injure my back), but my pride didn't like it! :neutral:
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Great lifting ladies!!
    Jo-what plan are you following? I'm kind of floundering a bit without a plan, but am hitting my main lifts pretty often.

I havent lifted in a week, :(. Busy time starting. Back to homeschool and tending my mom. Planning to lift today.
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Sam- I feel good about myself. I had a brief moment this weekend where I stepped on the scale it was down 3lbs, then I stepped on the scale the next it up was up a lb then Monday I was right back where I started so I had that brief moment of excitement. :/

I know I'm getting smaller, my pants are big. Also when I went shopping this weekend I went right to the 5/6's like normal but they were happily too big, I ended up getting 3/4's so I'll take that over a few lbs. I look more muscle I'm sleeping better and eating less, so I must be doing something right.

I had my terrifying experience running this weekend where some guy followed me for over a mile so I will now be jogging with my stun gun. I didn't realize how shook up I was over it until I tried telling my mom about it and started getting choked up. Why do ppl have to so creepy? He knew that he was freaking me out but kept turning side the roads and making u-turns to follow me for what reason, to check me out? I'm glad he didn't actually do anything more but was it really necessary?

I'm glad you are still doing good job lifting, at some point I'll find time at home to get back to it. :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Beeps - Very nice.

Workout B

low bar squats 3x5 @ 130 - getting bit heavy for my arms, as low bar isn't quite as easy for me as high bar

OHP 1x1 @ 75 then 1x4 and 2x5 @ 70 - tried for 75 but nope, one rep is it for now on that one, but 70 is okay

deadlift 1x5 @ 170 - felt so heavy but managed. Firs time doing it in front of squat rack but the other spot was taken and I had no idea how long the guy would be since he was stretching and stuff still when I started putting the weight on the bar. Going to keep moving up even though it's a challenge each time.

Accessories:
    lat pulldown 3x8 @ 70 - increased this time

shrugs 3x10 @ 27.6 - okay
    wrist curls 3x10 @ 12.5 - figured I'd try and do these on occasion since my wrists need some work

Next up is lifting freight at work. Fun.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Although I almost considered going back to bed this morning, I managed to go to the park and do my long jog. Just over 4 miles.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    Dawn-good job ! And 4 miles? You're a runner girl!!

Jo-thanks! I liked it a lot, even started it today...I've been looking for a split that will fit what I like. Dumb starting on a Friday, but I was ready for some new direction.

Beeps-amazing!! Beautiful photos! I'm living vicariously through you!

Ali-this very unsettling! Hope you at least had your phone with you! Yay for smaller! WTG!

Janie-glad your form was corrected, even though it's embarrassing....btdt. You're lifting heavy!! WTG!!

DNA-glad your squat went well! Still working on mine :).

I lifted today-hooray! Got there Wednesday too...refinding my gym commitment, I think! I started that program Jo is doing. It's a 4 day split which I was looking for, but didn't like some of the ones I looked into. I think this will work for me. :) I will sub weighted hip thrusts for the deadlifts as my lower back just can not handle DLs anymore :(. Upper body done today! I haven't done bicep curls in ages! Lol!

My whole family went with me to the gym today,. It's great they want to workout and I'm really happy they are, but I also miss my alone time...bittersweet. Sorry, it's less stress relieving when you're making sure your daughters are being safe...and spotting Dh on his bench. :neutral:

Have a good weekend! We're off to a waterpark tonight (sun splash) then painting my moms house all day tomorrow.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Jo-thanks! I liked it a lot, even started it today...I've been looking for a split that will fit what I like. Dumb starting on a Friday, but I was ready for some new direction.

I lifted today-hooray! Got there Wednesday too...refinding my gym commitment, I think! I started that program Jo is doing. It's a 4 day split which I was looking for, but didn't like some of the ones I looked into. I think this will work for me. :) I will sub weighted hip thrusts for the deadlifts as my lower back just can not handle DLs anymore :(. Upper body done today! I haven't done bicep curls in ages! Lol!

Glad you like it. I'm doing the three day version but sometimes I lift 4 times - depends on what else life throws at me. Yeah, there is nothing much 'new' in it, but variations and a bit of 'old skool' stuff. Don't think I have ever done bicep curls before now lol.

I don't think it matters what day of the week you start so long as you follow an order :)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Frankfurt!

ssp1r5be7w8c.jpg
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Beeps, loving the photos! Keep them coming :)

Jo, thanks for posting that program. It looks great. I would really like to do a four day split once I finally have both kids in school full time come September, since I'll have more free time. But, I just finished Supercharged today (HOORAY!) and was going to start New Rules for Abs on Monday, so I may need to put the split off. We will see. I also want to try Strong once it's out in November. Too many good plans to choose from!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    Hey pudding! Good job finishing supercharged!! WTG!!

Jo-thanks! I'm more excited with some structure and direction again :). I felt a bit guilty on upper body-like I didn't work hard enough without working my lower half...i usually do compound lifts when I go, squats each time, etc. this will be a good change for me. So far, so good.

Painted and cleaned today. Can not wait to get rid of my mom's house! It's such a big project and i really am running out of steam with it. But, we are almost done. Cleaned out a truckload of junk, literally, today. I'm currently vegging on the sofa, happily!
  • DawnEmbers
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Julie - Thanks. Good luck with all of the house stuff but nice that you can also get some rest time too.

Busy day at work but went to gym afterwards. Did okay but stomach was a bit unhappy as I had a fair amount of dairy today, so I didn't do much as far as accessories are concerned. Plus I have to get up tomorrow morning to jog so didn't want to be up too late.

Workout A

high bar squat 3x5 @ 150 - Kept the weight from last time but attempted to film it with my phone using a tall step. Interesting to watch though I still don't get quite why the trainers at this gym don't like the knees going over the toes and mine don't go that far over from what I could see on my phone.

bench 3x5 @ 95 - didn't increase and barely make these, I might do a small de-load next time.

p-row 3x5 @ 95 - same as last time as well, considering switching to work on bent over row for a bit instead but not sure yet.

back extension 3x8 with 25 plate

That is all for today. Now to get ready for bed and get an ice pack cause it's too hot, which makes sleep a challenge.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    2.5 mile jog this morning though it was a struggle to get going, so sleepy.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    You're keeping your forward momentum going Dawn! Great job!

I did legs today...I like this split! I did calf raises...and leg curls. Haven't done those in ages! Switched weighted hip thrusts for DLs...they're getting better. Still not nearly as strong as you guys, but hope to keep increasing. Felt good! Rest day tomorrow and then Wednesday and Thursday I'll do upper and body again. I definitely do better with a plan :)!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Every little hilltop along the Rhine (UNESCO world heritage stretch of the river) has a little castle on top! I have pictures of 10 or 20 of them, at this point.

cjt3atfe139f.jpg
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Neat Beeps!

Julie - Nice that it's working out for you so far.

Morning cardio = 2 mile jog. I want to nap but need to work on some online work first.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Day off from work and went to the gym late just to avoid any crowds. It actually went pretty well. Tuesday nights are busier than the other nights I have lifted but this time I didn't have to wait around for anything. Still awkward doing hip thrusts near the dumbbells when there are more people around but managed to get them done.

Workout B

low bar squat 3x5 @ 135 - these felt pretty good

ohp 1x3 @ 75, 1x5 + 1x4 + 1x5 @ 70 - struggled but got a couple more at 75. Seeing a de-load in the future.

deadlift 1x5 @ 135 warm up then 1x5 @ 175 - heavy but felt better than the previous ones

Accessories:
    leg press 3x8 @ 200 - decided to increase and that was kinda heavy

good morning 3x10 @ 55 - regular weight so easy enough, back to using squat rack instead of cleaning the bar

rdl 3x10 @ 90 - heavy but managed
    hip thrust 3x10 @ 80 - heavy and awkward

I get tomorrow off too, which is unusual for me, so I'm going to enjoy sleeping in and such. No jog or anything tomorrow. Just getting caught up with online stuffs and maybe some writing.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    I felt a bit guilty on upper body-like I didn't work hard enough without working my lower half...i usually do compound lifts when I go, squats each time, etc. this will be a good change for me. So far, so good.

I felt the same to start with but now I'm loving it - my body is appreciating the longer breaks between lifts and I've seen improvements.

Finally got all my reps on bench today - still feeble but managed 3 sets of 6 reps @ 72lbs which was my one rep max at the start of the year! And smashed out incline bench and push ups afterwards. Considering I was not super pumped for the gym today I was surprised and pleased.

Everyone is doing so well here, good work ladies