Like Minded Lushes - March 2012

rjadams
rjadams Posts: 4,029 Member
It's a new month and for anyone around here with a bit of Irish heritage its a lushy month. For me March equals lots of Jameson and Guiness and Harp and a bit o luck. I hope you all have a successful March.

Welcome back to the land of the lushing Yvonne and Wolfe. You both were amazing last month. If only I could pull it together like that.

Replies

• kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Yes congrats to Yvonne and Wolfe...you are amazing!!!!

I plan on continuing my soberity one more day....then all bets are off :wink: 4days, for me, is unheard of!!!!!!!!!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Good morning, all! I thought I was going to limit myself to 2 last night, but it was 5. Oops.

So Monday: 2
    Tuesday: 2
    Wednesday: 5
    Thursday: shooting for 2
    Friday: not sure yet, maybe 3
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,240 Member
    Woke up a little giddy this morning...hmmm. As a side note, abstaining did not significantly affect my weight because I found I would replace the alcohol calories with sugar calories, but it did make a difference in consistently less bloating in case anyone was curious. I prefer alcohol personally.

Happy March Lushes!!! Yay....smiley-dance005.gif
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Yay March!! I smell spring in the air :flowerforyou: I will also be celebrating my irish heritage this month, but I will be in Mexico, for St Pattys Day, which should be interesting!

Cannot wait for my cocktails tomorrow!

Monday-0
    Tuesday-0
    Wednesday-0
    Thursday-0
    Friday- probably some vodka drinks and beer
    Saturday- staying in and probably have some wine
    Sunday- I always say 0, but end up having wine, so we will see
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Wednesday=3 coors lights
  • barberella
    barberella Posts: 199
    Hello All!! Happy March!
    Yes, this should be a hard month...I leave for Vegas on the 25th, so that will be a lot of drinking, but trying so hard to be good so I can lose a few inches or pounds for the trip!
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,252 Member
    SO really no plans to drink at all this week ... I think my next drinking day will be Tuesday cause its my friends birthday and we are having the party at the bar.....

Monday -0
    Tuesday-0
    Wednesday-0
    Thrusday -0?
    Friday-0?
    been a very dry week lol
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Yay March!!!! I am Irish as well and absolutely love Jameson but I seem to not mix well at times with hard stuff. I love Guiness as well and car bombs YUM!

Sunday - 2
    Monday - 4
    Tuesday - 5
    Wednesday - 3
    Thirsty Thursday - who knows!

Almost the end of my experiment. I've also actually been hitting my 1600 calorie goal and I now have an app on my phone where you weigh in everyday and it puts together a trend for you and a forecast as to when you will hit your goal weight depending on your weight trend. I was down .6 today from yesterday. In reality with burning over 4200 this week I should be down a pound tomorrow so we'll see!

Fiancé ordered some more wine :drinker: A case of the white I like and then some more red, I think one of the other benefits of holding off during the week is you don't go through as much wine and then don't have to buy more haha. Oh well, this week was an experiment and I'm curious about the results.
  • I'm going to a baby shower for a gay couple Saturday so I hope there are a few drinks since neither one of them is pregnant. :) Other than that I don't have any *plans* to drink. The rest of March is looking pretty wet. I am also Irish and we have a few big events planned at the bar.

I had more drinks than I can count last Saturday. We had a Facebook Fan Appreciation Party at our bar and we were supposed to go out for dinner before the party but there was a 2 hour wait so we went to the bar to get a sandwich instead and my family was already there and some other friends so we started drinking at 6:30 and then had to stay to help the new bartender close up so it was after 3am when we left. That was a normal night beofre I had two more kids, now it knocks me out.

The good news is I haven't had a drink since then. It's getting easier not to drink during the week.
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Uhh...where the frickity frack did February go? :noway:

Congrats to all you people with all those 0's!!! Maybe one day I will last longer than a day or so without booze. One can dream.

I've been averaging about 1-2 (large) glasses of wine/night. Nothing too extreme, but enough so that my scale doesn't seem to be moving much. Despite kicking up my exercise routine a notch. Whatever, I'm sick of my damn scale. Stupid mofo. :grumble:

I might move on to vodka tonight. Just because. Maybe it'll help my pissy mood. :drinker:
  • Kat120285
    Uhh...where the frickity frack did February go? :noway:

Congrats to all you people with all those 0's!!! Maybe one day I will last longer than a day or so without booze. One can dream.

I've been averaging about 1-2 (large) glasses of wine/night. Nothing too extreme, but enough so that my scale doesn't seem to be moving much. Despite kicking up my exercise routine a notch. Whatever, I'm sick of my damn scale. Stupid mofo. :grumble:

I might move on to vodka tonight. Just because. Maybe it'll help my pissy mood. :drinker:

I know they say the effects of booze can be harsh on weight loss which is why I am doing my experiment this week. I'm being good with calories and healthy with food but leaving room for booze. I'm down .6 but tomorrow is the official weigh in and the end of the experiment. I do know that for me personally I tend to feel more puffy but I haven't determined really if it does stunt weight loss even if calories and healthy food is in check.

And I agree, where did February go?! This year is flying by and before I know it it'll be October and I will be a Mrs.!!!!
  • SoCalWoman
    I just looked over my diary, and see my sodium is definitely up. I made a huge pot of chicken soup (with whole wheat pasta and lots of veggies...YUM!)) and even though I use low sodium broth, it tends to be quite salty. I've been living off that for the last 3 days.

I've decided to blame the sodium rather than the booze. Yup, I'm sticking with that theory for now.

Carry on with the drinking. :drinker:
  • Kat120285
    I just looked over my diary, and see my sodium is definitely up. I made a huge pot of chicken soup (with whole wheat pasta and lots of veggies...YUM!)) and even though I use low sodium broth, it tends to be quite salty. I've been living off that for the last 3 days.

I've decided to blame the sodium rather than the booze. Yup, I'm sticking with that theory for now.

Carry on with the drinking. :drinker:

Sodium wreaks havoc on my body, my body really doesn't seem to like it at all which is sad because I prefer salty things to sweet things. Oh well, I've been eating a ton of fruit and veggies and have really cut out bread, chips, rice and such. I have a problem most of the time where if I have a little of any of those things then I just want more and more so I figured I should just cut them out all together. I've been cutting back on boxed foods anyway even if they claim to be healthy. Started reading labels of healthy foods too and if it's a mile long then I don't get it. I find I'm craving things like chips less and less =]
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member
    Hey lushes....bumping for March

SPD is my anniversary....22 years...w'er gettin' old...well, he is anyway

Alcohol does slow the fat burning process...The liver metabolizes that first and then will break down the other stuff...a healthy daily dose is 4 oz red wine...after that, your screwed

Monday, 6 vodkas
    Tues., Weds., Thurs., 0 drinks
    Friday, yeppers
    Saturday, yeppers
    Sunday, yeppers

I have to be careful tho... I am loading up on heavy-duty decongestants since I have a cold again...I have to pick between my liver and drinking....why is life so hard?
  • nisijam5
    I'm going to a baby shower for a gay couple Saturday so I hope there are a few drinks since neither one of them is pregnant. :)

This cracked me up....
  • nisijam5
    Woke up a little giddy this morning...hmmm. As a side note, abstaining did not significantly affect my weight because I found I would replace the alcohol calories with sugar calories, but it did make a difference in consistently less bloating in case anyone was curious. I prefer alcohol personally.

Same...I'd rather drink them
  • Kat120285
    Hey lushes....bumping for March

SPD is my anniversary....22 years...w'er gettin' old...well, he is anyway

Alcohol does slow the fat burning process...The liver metabolizes that first and then will break down the other stuff...a healthy daily dose is 4 oz red wine...after that, your screwed

Monday, 6 vodkas
    Tues., Weds., Thurs., 0 drinks
    Friday, yeppers
    Saturday, yeppers
    Sunday, yeppers

I have to be careful tho... I am loading up on heavy-duty decongestants since I have a cold again...I have to pick between my liver and drinking....why is life so hard?

Yeah, I've read all about how your body processes the booze first so fat burning gets put on the back burner so to speak. So it's definitely easier to lose when you cut out the booze but I'm more just seeing how it interacts with the scale when you're good on calories and eating healthy foods. I'm thinking even if there is a loss tomorrow that I'm still going to go back to just 2 days a week.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member

Agreed. I've lost a little bit of weight without really trying, but I've developed a taste for dark chocolate. I have been eating more food so if I add alcohol back in without reducing the amount of food to compensate I will end up going over calories. I haven't noticed any health benefit as I was a fairly moderate drinker anyway and there's been a few mornings I've woken up with a stinking headache and would've sworn it was caused by alcohol if I'd been drinking the night before!

That said, at some point in the future I'm sure I'll do another month alcohol free as I like the challenge, plus I'm going to try not to let the drinking creep from a couple of nights only to most nights as I find it tends to do.

I've enjoyed some Bailey's ice cream tonight, but the cold beer isn't tasting good :-(, it's seriously going to my head though :-)
  • Kat120285

Agreed. I've lost a little bit of weight without really trying, but I've developed a taste for dark chocolate. I have been eating more food so if I add alcohol back in without reducing the amount of food to compensate I will end up going over calories. I haven't noticed any health benefit as I was a fairly moderate drinker anyway and there's been a few mornings I've woken up with a stinking headache and would've sworn it was caused by alcohol if I'd been drinking the night before!

That said, at some point in the future I'm sure I'll do another month alcohol free as I like the challenge, plus I'm going to try not to let the drinking creep from a couple of nights only to most nights as I find it tends to do.

I've enjoyed some Bailey's ice cream tonight, but the cold beer isn't tasting good :-(, it's seriously going to my head though :-)

Welcome back to the land of the lushes! Bailey's ice cream sounds amazing!
  • SoCalWoman

Congrats on your success! I'm not sure I could ever do that.

I can't remember the last time I had ice cream though...probably has been months. I'd rather have my wine/vodka. I bet if I quit drinking I'd probably replace it with sugary *kitten* though.