TDEE - What is it and why you should not eat below your BMR

Options

Replies

• kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    ok thanks. i am going to try to do this even though my weight has crept up a bit the past few days.

i lost the most recent 30 pounds by doing an alternate day diet of very high days followed by very low days so I naturally want to make today a very low day to "recover"

what does everyone do for setting their MFP. Do I customize my goals to the 2250 and just ignore what MFP tells me when I add in the exercise? or do I set it to 1550 and add back in my exercise and eat all my exercise calories (but that will only work if i exercise 700 calories).?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    ok thanks. i am going to try to do this even though my weight has crept up a bit the past few days.

i lost the most recent 30 pounds by doing an alternate day diet of very high days followed by very low days so I naturally want to make today a very low day to "recover"

what does everyone do for setting their MFP. Do I customize my goals to the 2250 and just ignore what MFP tells me when I add in the exercise? or do I set it to 1550 and add back in my exercise and eat all my exercise calories (but that will only work if i exercise 700 calories).?

I set my calorie goals in MFP, but watch my Home page for the Net calories for the day. But as you know, anything over 700 for you, you know you need to start eating back the overage.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options

I set my calorie goals in MFP, but watch my Home page for the Net calories for the day. But as you know, anything over 700 for you, you know you need to start eating back the overage.

ok so do i set it to 2250 then??
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options

ok so do i set it to 2250 then??

It's personal preference. If you want to adjust it to 2250, then yes, just ignore the "extra" cals. As long as your TDEE is calculated correctly, your exercise cals should be already figured in.
  • jessie_rose24
    Options
    Ok so I ran through my numbers and this is what i came up with, I just want to make sure I have the concept down correctly.

Female
    Age 28
    HT- 68"
    WT 190
    Mod exercise (sedentary job, work out 5 days a week, oly/powerlifting, crossfit type workouts)

BMR= 1663
    RMR= 1646 x 1.55 (mod)= 2550

TDEE= 2550

So on non-workout days I would eat
    2550-.15%(421)= 2385 Cal

On Days I lift I should add 200 Calories to 2385 established from my non-work out day cut to equal 2585 for lifting days

On days I do cardio: (this is where I'm getting confused)

ex: If I have a 500 cal burn

Would I start the day with 2385 cal then subtract the 500 from 2385 giving me 1885 which is higher than my BMR and RMR so I wouldn't need to eat anything extra that day.

If for example I had a 800 cal burn then I would need to eat an additional approx 100 calories to go above my BMR/RMR?

I should set my cals in MFP to 2385 and based on exercise adjust from there daily?

Is this correct?
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I went to this page and did the wheelie things: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

It says that my BMR is 1707 cals. Okay, I understand that I am NEVER TO EAT LESS THAN THIS. Got it. I can do this.

Then, it says my TEE is 2753 cals. I put in what I think the average is of my usual workout routine (I do have a fitbit, so I'm pretty accurate on how much activity I do), including my 3x a week HIIT thingy (I just started it this week).

What does this mean? Am I supposed to eat somewhere between 1707 and 2753 calories? is the 15% reduction off the 2753? that would be like, um... 2300 calories a day?

Am I anywhere close on this?
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    ****, just found this and leaving work for the gym. I gotta bump this to read later.
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I read your OP and thought I understood it. Then I read everyone's questions and confused!! So PLEEEEAASE dumb it down for me!

According to fitness frog, my TDEE is 1948. My BMR is 1352.

So on days I do cardio, basically I have 600 calories to burn and not have to eat back, right? Which works out for me because that's what I usually burn on cardio days.

But on days I lift, by what you're saying my calorie count should be 1656 (15% = 292 so I subtracted that from TDEE). So here are my calculations

REST DAY (no exercise) = 1352 cals
    CARDIO DAY = 1948 cals / 1352 cals NET
    LIFT DAY = 1656 cals

Someone please tell me I'm right!!! :noway:
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Coni888
    Coni888 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am completely new to the whole site as well as TDEE. Now I am trying to figure out the following:-

BMR = 1514
    TDEE = 2082
    TDEE-25% = 1562

I hardly have a non workout day,but know that on these days I should eat 1562. What I am not sure about/don't know for sure is that on cardio days (30-90 min), do I need to eat my calories back or are these included in the 1562.

Cardio expenditure is 292-683.

Thanks for any help.
  • chattinchick
    chattinchick Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am gonna have to get you to confirm things with me too - dumb it down as someone said...

I ran through those sites and here's what I got:

Female
    Age 41
    HT- 64"
    WT 187
    Mod exercise - work out 5-6 days a week, 3 days cardio, one day powerlifting, one day crossfit type workouts - I am training for a 10 k at the moment! :)

BMR= 1571
    RMR= 1554

TDEE= 2435

I have been with a personal trainer for 3 years - 2 to 3 days per week and I just recently dropped her down to 1 day per week and I'm doing the rest on my own. I have her for my heavy lift days. She always wanted me eating 2100 calories/day while I was with her 2-3 days per week but once I dropped her to 1 day per week, I decided to "shock the scale" and dropped my calories down to 1400 per day. The scale finally moved for me and she told me just yesterday that this is fine and dandy, however, I should be eating more than 1400....she said to crank it back up to 2100 or so. I just cannot wrap my brain around eating that much food!! ACK! I will try this for a month and see what happens, but I really need you to let me know exactly.....

HOW MUCH SHOULD I BE EATING?! LOL....this seems to make sense, but I am like some others - after reading everyone's questions and info - I'm a bit lost!

HELP!!?!!?? LOL
  • chattinchick
    Options
    OK...me again - went and read the discussion on "what to expect when upping calories" and I will change my last post - I will not quit after one month! LOL...I will need to trust the program and go with it! Thanks - great analogies there!

Still need to know what I'm supposed to eat - thanks!!!! This site is awesome! xoxoxxo
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Ladies I am having the hardest time quoting on my phone so those that have asked what next...

TDEE - 15% is your daily calorie intake...now when you workout if you burn a lot of calories then you should eat no less than Net of BMR.

Example your cut is 1800 and BMR 1400 if you burn 400 calories or less you eat 1800 for the day. If you have a high burn over 400 then you eat the excess so you net at least BMR. For instance a burn of 600 then you need to eat an extra 200, so total cals that day is 2000.

I apologize for any confusion...when I started this journey from reading NROLWFW I ate my maintenance calories on nonworkout days and added 200 on lift days. So that is what I had been sharing. After further research and chatting with 31Prvrbs using the TDEE calculation which takes into account activity, it is not mandatory to eat back exercise calories unless you have a high burn day, then you should net BMR. Hope that helps.
  • chattinchick
    Options
    Alright - I think I have it!!! Non-workout days for me, I eat 2000 calories and I do not go below 1500 cal NET. Got it! I hope LOL....thank you Lucia!!!
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    :happy: Ahhh - DING! light bulb just came on - think I got it!
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Also, for me the easiest way to keep track...I updated my MFP daily goal to my TDEE cut value(the weight loss will look miserably low on MFP when you do this...just warning ya:-). Then I build my meal plan everyday to hit my daily 1900. Now when I add my exercise, I then watch my home page where it shows cals eaten, exercise and then your NET...so I see 1456 NET calories or more...cha ching I know I don't have to eat another morsel...

If someone else has a better way of doing it, please share...I know some that change their mfp goals all the time...I can't do that.. I rather just watch my homepage for my daily Net...
  • Beauty0619
    Beauty0619 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Lol okay cool. It's crazy how I'm learning that all of this information is so important to for me. So is the BMR the same as my "resting" days calories of 1639. And the activity calories the same as my work out calories at 2254? If so I have this down pack!

Your RMR/BMR is what you need if for basic bodily function...breathing and nothing else for the most part...no movement.

TDEE is your maintenance calories...takes into account you going to work, exercise and all that...

You calculate your TDEE and subtract 15% off that for your calories to eat on NON-workout days.

so on workout days you eat more the your BMR? or less? I have figured out my non workout days calorie intake...(2300) i am in shock right now....(inner fat girl talking). But I still dont know how much to eat on workout days. someone helpppp....
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Lol okay cool. It's crazy how I'm learning that all of this information is so important to for me. So is the BMR the same as my "resting" days calories of 1639. And the activity calories the same as my work out calories at 2254? If so I have this down pack!

Your RMR/BMR is what you need if for basic bodily function...breathing and nothing else for the most part...no movement.

TDEE is your maintenance calories...takes into account you going to work, exercise and all that...

You calculate your TDEE and subtract 15% off that for your calories to eat on NON-workout days.

so on workout days you eat more the your BMR? or less? I have figured out my non workout days calorie intake...(2300) i am in shock right now....(inner fat girl talking). But I still dont know how much to eat on workout days. someone helpppp....

Ok, everyday eat TDEE - 15%...the only time you will eat more is when your exercise cals causes you to NET less than BMR.

Ex. daily cal is 1800
    BMR 1500
    You burn 300, then your NET cals is 1500 which is BMR...GREAT no add'l calories needed.

But when you burn 300 or more, then you need to start eating the excess over 300 so you NET BMR
    So let's say you burn 600, then you need to eat 300 plus your 1800 which gets you to a NET calories of BMR.

Hope this helps
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Maybe I can share how I have MFP set up for me.

BMR is 1900 (Never eat below this)
    TDEE is 2400 on non-workout days
    TDEE is 2800 on workout days.

I set MFP calories to always have me aim for 2000 calories. My non-workout TDEE minus fifteen percent (ish). Now on workout days- I enter in my workout cals burned and voila- MFP tells me automatically to eat higher and nosh those cals. This puts me automatically up high enough to keep 20% decreased from my TDEE.

Day examples-
    Monday (upper body workout)
    TDEE is 2800 on workout days.
    MFP is set to 2000 (based on my calculations above)

I add my calorie burn from my workout- now MFP tells me automatically to eat those back. So I eat them :)

Tuesday- (rest day)
    TDEE is 2400 on rest days
    MFP is set to 2000 cals

So I eat 2000 cals (fifteen percent below my TDEE by my calculations earlier) and call it a day.

This way- if I skip a workout day or if a workout is more or less cals than I 'planned' for- voila- automatic adjustment to the plan by what I enter as my exercise cals.
  • Beauty0619
    Beauty0619 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Ok, everyday eat TDEE - 15%...the only time you will eat more is when your exercise cals causes you to NET less than BMR.

Ex. daily cal is 1800
    BMR 1500
    You burn 300, then your NET cals is 1500 which is BMR...GREAT no add'l calories needed.

But when you burn 300 or more, then you need to start eating the excess over 300 so you NET BMR
    So let's say you burn 600, then you need to eat 300 plus your 1800 which gets you to a NET calories of BMR.

Hope this helps

YUP!!! GOT IT!! Thank you!! I still can't believe I am supposed to be eating 2300ca though! I'm still in shock and a little nervous. Math was never my strongest subject! :wink:

Do I omit cardio? Just lift? I'm so confused and skeptical but still want to try it b/c I am at a plateau and I want to break it.