Replies

• jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • noniemarie
    noniemarie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, it is a little confusing but I think I figured it out. My TDEE came in at a whopping 2244 cal so even subtracting the 15% I am still supposed to eat 1900 cal. My BMR is 1448 so I should never go below that? I am too frightened to start at 1900 so I think I'll jump to 1700 first. I've changed my nutritional goals in MFP but it says 0 weight loss expected per week! Over the last month, I have averaged 1500 cal consumed per day and worked out 5 days per week averaging 400 cal per workout (always rounding the number down). I workout twice a week strength training for 30 minutes with a trainer and do interval running on my treadmil. I am going to be adding a couple days strength training at home.
    Over the last month, I've only recently lost 2lbs and 1.5 in off my waist and .75 in off my hips. It has been so frustrating to go through this again. This is the 3rd time and I hope it will be the last. It is twice as hard at 55 than it was at 49!
    Do you think I should just jump in and start the 1900 cal a day I'm afraid it will cause a weight gain and I will get more discouraged .
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Lol okay cool. It's crazy how I'm learning that all of this information is so important to for me. So is the BMR the same as my "resting" days calories of 1639. And the activity calories the same as my work out calories at 2254? If so I have this down pack!

Your RMR/BMR is what you need if for basic bodily function...breathing and nothing else for the most part...no movement.

TDEE is your maintenance calories...takes into account you going to work, exercise and all that...

You calculate your TDEE and subtract 15% off that for your calories to eat on NON-workout days.

so on workout days you eat more the your BMR? or less? I have figured out my non workout days calorie intake...(2300) i am in shock right now....(inner fat girl talking). But I still dont know how much to eat on workout days. someone helpppp....

Ok, everyday eat TDEE - 15%...the only time you will eat more is when your exercise cals causes you to NET less than BMR.

Ex. daily cal is 1800
    BMR 1500
    You burn 300, then your NET cals is 1500 which is BMR...GREAT no add'l calories needed.

But when you burn 300 or more, then you need to start eating the excess over 300 so you NET BMR
    So let's say you burn 600, then you need to eat 300 plus your 1800 which gets you to a NET calories of BMR.

Hope this helps

YUP!!! GOT IT!! Thank you!! I still can't believe I am supposed to be eating 2300ca though! I'm still in shock and a little nervous. Math was never my strongest subject! :wink:

Do I omit cardio? Just lift? I'm so confused and skeptical but still want to try it b/c I am at a plateau and I want to break it.

Oh no you can do cardio, just be sure when yu burn that your net cals are at least your bmr.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, it is a little confusing but I think I figured it out. My TDEE came in at a whopping 2244 cal so even subtracting the 15% I am still supposed to eat 1900 cal. My BMR is 1448 so I should never go below that? I am too frightened to start at 1900 so I think I'll jump to 1700 first. I've changed my nutritional goals in MFP but it says 0 weight loss expected per week! Over the last month, I have averaged 1500 cal consumed per day and worked out 5 days per week averaging 400 cal per workout (always rounding the number down). I workout twice a week strength training for 30 minutes with a trainer and do interval running on my treadmil. I am going to be adding a couple days strength training at home.
    Over the last month, I've only recently lost 2lbs and 1.5 in off my waist and .75 in off my hips. It has been so frustrating to go through this again. This is the 3rd time and I hope it will be the last. It is twice as hard at 55 than it was at 49!
    Do you think I should just jump in and start the 1900 cal a day I'm afraid it will cause a weight gain and I will get more discouraged .

Ok, I personally did it slowly in ingorance meaning at 1200 I was frustrated, hungry not seeing results, I bumped to 1350 not knowing anything about anything just couldn't stick to 1200...I dropped a little and bumped to 15000 same bounce around frustration...I literally stopped and asked God what is going on and to please gve me wisdom, knowledge and understanding and a couple days later I started reading the forums I needed to see bumped up to 1800 after eading an excerpt from NROWL, got the NROLW book and the 1800 was actually the maintence cals amount using the calulation in the book and oh also added 200 on lift days. I would eat 1800 and anywhere between 2000-2500. I felt so stinking liberated and energized. I kicked my lifting into gear and cut back a bit on cardio so I didn't have to eat so much.

Said all that to say when I found out about it I jumped right in head first...lol. so let's say when I was at the 1200 (frustrated like crazy) would LUCIA have bumped straight up...YES!!! That's my perosnality. Plus I knew I prayed about it and knew just the way all the information was presented I knew it was His divine hand putting everything in place and that the science behind it just made sense.

So if I were you would I jump..yes, but you have to be comfy with it. You jump in at 1900 just know you probably will see a spike, but you do the leap then when it is over it is over... or you can up slowly which will cause a smaller spike. Either way your body needs fuel and giving it more period will help.

Be sure to read what to expect when you up...it helps me...I go back and reread when I am freaking out over the scale...yes I have my moments, but I tell you this journey has been so rewarding...my body was trying to survive...now it is loving the food and demanding more...I plateaued at 1800, so I upped 4wks ago to 1900 girl I shot up 4lbs, but thought hah I did not eat 14000 cals...so patience and telling the scale monkey that lives on my back to be quiet and wks later with no lifting last couple days, no tom, no high sodium I am down the 1.2lbs net up that was consistent the last few days and an additional .6lbs....so my body is now using up that extra and releasing more fat.

Ok whew I can yack. Let us know what you decide and keep us posted.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Need to read this in full. Marked for later :)
  • noniemarie
    noniemarie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ANewLucia, thanks for the quick response. I will keep checking back, this group is terrific.
  • kudilein
    kudilein Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi,

I´m not quite sure, how exactly calculate everything for me. I´m not the sportiest person, I have to admit.
    I like my two hours of Zumba a week and that´s about it with sport. But I´m a nurse which keeps me running around most of my working days. So I´m not quite sure in which activity group I fit. And when I calculated everything. Do I eat that number of calories every day or should I make differences? HELP PLEASE, I´m confused :/
  • NikMosch
    NikMosch Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump....
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I´m not quite sure, how exactly calculate everything for me. I´m not the sportiest person, I have to admit.
    I like my two hours of Zumba a week and that´s about it with sport. But I´m a nurse which keeps me running around most of my working days. So I´m not quite sure in which activity group I fit. And when I calculated everything. Do I eat that number of calories every day or should I make differences? HELP PLEASE, I´m confused :/

Since you're on your feet most of the day, I'd pick a "moderately active" level. The amount that you get when you do the calculation is your "maintenance" cals, deduct 15% from that amount for weight loss cals.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sdreamer84
    sdreamer84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    I began looking into eating more because I have been feeling whooped by the end of the day. I started mfp because I want to be more healthy in the long run (as well as shed a few pounds).

Can someone help me check my calculations, please?

I am 42, female, 5'7" currently 150. My BMR shows at 1420. I have been working out 5-6 days a week on the elliptical with about 400-430 calories burned, other than that I am pretty sedentary. So...what activity level would I be at for the TDEE? I think I am kind of inbetween levels (moderate to heavy) which is somewhere between 2189 and 2447 (2318 avg) less the 15% = 1970. Does this sound right?

So I should shoot for the 1970? Wow! that sounds way more sustainable than the 1200 that left me feeling so crappy.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I began looking into eating more because I have been feeling whooped by the end of the day. I started mfp because I want to be more healthy in the long run (as well as shed a few pounds).

I am 42, female, 5'7" currently 150. My BMR shows at 1420. I have been working out 5-6 days a week on the elliptical with about 400-430 calories burned, other than that I am pretty sedentary. So...what activity level would I be at for the TDEE? I think I am kind of inbetween levels (moderate to heavy) which is somewhere between 2189 and 2447 (2318 avg) less the 15% = 1970. Does this sound right?

So I should shoot for the 1970? Wow! that sounds way more sustainable than the 1200 that left me feeling so crappy.

Yep! Looks like you've got it :) And yes- it will feel like waking up from a deep sleep. Don't forget to read the 'what to expect' sticky thread so you won't get blind-sided by anything. Very excited for you to try this :)
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options

Yep! Looks like you've got it :) And yes- it will feel like waking up from a deep sleep. Don't forget to read the 'what to expect' sticky thread so you won't get blind-sided by anything. Very excited for you to try this :)

Fabulous! Thanks! I am going away for 5 days so this will help me step away from the scale.
  • Coni888
    Coni888 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ladies I am having the hardest time quoting on my phone so those that have asked what next...

TDEE - 15% is your daily calorie intake...now when you workout if you burn a lot of calories then you should eat no less than Net of BMR.

Example your cut is 1800 and BMR 1400 if you burn 400 calories or less you eat 1800 for the day. If you have a high burn over 400 then you eat the excess so you net at least BMR. For instance a burn of 600 then you need to eat an extra 200, so total cals that day is 2000.

I apologize for any confusion...when I started this journey from reading NROLWFW I ate my maintenance calories on nonworkout days and added 200 on lift days. So that is what I had been sharing. After further research and chatting with 31Prvrbs using the TDEE calculation which takes into account activity, it is not mandatory to eat back exercise calories unless you have a high burn day, then you should net BMR. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the answer. Sorry, but what I still worry about is that my BMR (1514) and my moderate level TDEE-25% (1562) are pretty much the same, so if I do any exercise, I will automatically go under my BMR, which you said is bad. Therefore at the moment I do eat all my exercise back . Would it be simpler to just set my TDEE to no exercise and eat all back or carry on with a moderate TDEE-25% and just eat 1562 and not eat exercise back . Ugh, just don't want to eat too much and lose the progress I made. Thanks
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    bump
  • blaik79
    blaik79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Okay, I think I have this down. I've read most a good chunk of the posts, but for some reason this stuff is kind of eluding me.

I calculated my BMR at 2483

I calculated my TDEE at 2978

TDEE-15% = 2531

So based on those calculations, I ALWAYS need a net calorie intake of ~2500 cals?

Why does that not seem right?

Here are my stats if anyone wants to duplicate:

Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 272 lbs
    Activity level: Sedentary
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right to me.

So, give it a try for a few weeks... see what happens.