Introduction for New Members

Options

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. My name is Heather. I'm 23 years old, 5'7" and I'm ready to lose the last 15 pounds!

I started my weight loss journey last year. At 153 lb (which wasn't actually my biggest weight), I started feeling slow in the classroom. (I am hoping to become an elementary teacher). It has gone well. I've lost 19 lb and have lost about 20+ inches off my body. However, now I'm stuck.

Joining MFP has helped me maintain for the most part, but I haven't been able to lose that much. I think I've only lost 4-5 lb since joining. I feel like when I go to the forums, I'm watching a tennis match between low calorie intakes vs. high.

I've been trying the lower calorie intake for a few months, and nothing has been happening. I was very happy to come across Lillebanon's lovely journal entry. I went to the links she suggested and this is what I found out:

BMR: 1493

TDEE: 2576

TDEE cut: 2060

To be honest, I'm a little scared to eat this much. I workout almost every day for about an hour. It ranges from various Jillian Michaels DVDs, regular weight lifting, 5k training, distance swimming, and kickboxing. I came here to hopefully finish my journey and get some support along the way. Anyone who wishes to friend me, I'd love that. I also would appreciate any tips you're willing to give.

Thank you guys. :)

Hey there, if yo ucould kick up your weight lifting to maybe 3 days a week and then cardio on the other days...forget the scale and watch your body tone beautifully while losing the fat. You seem pretty slim and close to goal, I would focus on the strength training to bring definition and fat burning which is probably what you are looking for. We focus on the scale too much...I am sure you have a "size" you would like to get into...strength training will get you there, but the scale may say something else...
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    My name is Linda and I joined MFP in January, but didn't join here until April. I was already in the process of upping my calories because I am also breastfeeding. I didn't really put this all into effect until I read NROLFW, I have done a little bit of adjusting but feel great at eating 2054 calories a day plus 300 for bf. I am lifting MWF, walking once a week, and will be starting yoga or Pilates t/th, If I get the time. With 6 children it can be difficult.

I am doing something different for my eating, not too different though, I try to get 35 g of fiber, 136-170 g of protein, and trying to make sure my carbs are at 210 g (for breastfeeding) I also have diverticulitus so high fiber is important.

My goal is no longer a weight goal it is a size goal. I am a 10/12, and want to be a 6/8. I am 43, children are 16 (girl), 10 (11 in two weeks),9, 6 (7 in 3 weeks), 4 (5 in 4 weeks), and 11 months. The younger ones are all boys. I need to be fit and strong to be there for them. My husband was in the Corp and we have a lit of weight equipment. He is so excited that I am doing this. He is still pretty fit, but works 7 days a week at two jobs. He is a great blessing and my biggest fan.

Thanks taking the time to read all this. I would love to get more friends!

Wow, I am excited you are doing this too! You are so on the right path!
  • kazmack1978
    Options
    Hi there ..... A very good friend on MFP recommended that I join the group.....

My name is Karen....my weight loss has stalled .... when I started way back when I was 87kg (191.4lb) I am now 73 kg (160.0lb) I want to get to 59kg (130lb) and I am stuck stuck stuck.

I started on MFP and had some good results and then I started to gym....and now nothing... I fluctuate around a certain weigh and cannot get the scale to move down at all. I am as per MFP on 1200 cals per day.

So I've been reading posts etc and have worked out what my BF is and how many calories I should be eating a day......including ecercise....and I think I have it s right.....

2033 calories = BMR so minus 15% takes it to 1784....which is what I should eat and I don't eat my exercise calories back...right?

feeling a bit nervous ......
  • calcote05
    calcote05 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Brandy! I joined MFP a long time ago, but just took a year long break when I found out I was pregnant. I have a 3 year old daughter and an week old son. The day I found out I was pregnant with my son was the day that I FINALLY got back down to a happy number on the scale (132). It took me 2 years to lose the baby weight from my daughter and am determined to lose it by the fall of this year. I haven't been doing too well with my eating since I went back to work last week, but am determined to get myself under control NOW.

When I was 132 I was unhappy with the way I looked because I was soft. I was running a lot then. I am just now getting back into running and run 15-20 mins at least 3 days a week. I am doing the 30 day Shred 3 days also. I am planning to up my running to 5 days and lifting 3 days once school is out and I am home more.

I really need some help with "good carb" ideas. I am a bread junkie :(

I will admit that I am hesitant to up my calories too much. I have been eating between 1200-1500 lately, but not eating back my exercise calories. I am also having a hard time eating all of my calories. I think I need to figure out how to get my calories in without eating junk. I have been terrible this week and have eaten out a lot. I am cleaning out my classroom and have given in everyday when my coworkers are ordering out.

So, I am 5'4" and 147 pounds (I'm afraid to get back on the scale) I am not nursing, so based on this info and the Scooby Calculator, my BMR is 1462, TDEE is 2010, cut TDEE is 1708. In English this means that I should eat 1708 daily without eating exercise cals back, correct??

My goal for this week is to log all of my food. Maybe then you all can help me figure out what I can do better.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Stephanie and I'm 21 years old. Almost every member of my family is overweight and struggles with food addiction. From a young age I've always struggled with the fear of becoming like the rest of my family so I've always obsessed over my weight. I'm 5'7 and my happiest weight was 135lbs during my last year of high school. I've always struggled with the same cycle over and over, eat healthy and stay around 135-145 then snap into a binge eating phase of fast food, drinking and crazy snacking and my weight would shoot up. About 10 months ago I started dating my current boyfriend and my weight slowly started to rise. I was 150 within a month and then in January I was up to 160. I started my current job in January which consists of sitting behind a desk all day and 40 minute commute each way to work. Within 3 1/2 months I had shot up to 179 pounds and my self esteem was buried.

Two things happened in the middle of April that made me decide enough was enough. I was not going to sit by and let my weight slowly rise and become a problem. 1. My boyfriend and I decided to move into our own apartment closer to our work which cut my commute down to 10 minutes each way. 2. A group of coworkers decided to put together a weight loss challenge starting on April 12th and ending on May 31st. Each person put $20 to participate and first prize ended up being $500. I decided that was the nice little kick I needed to get my weight back in control. I figured if I spent $20 I would be motivated but I really had no hope of actually winning the challenge. The majority of the people in the competition weight 100lbs more than myself and I had always heard that the more you weighed the easier it was to lose weight.

Let's fast forward 5 weeks to today, I've stuck to 1200 calories a day and have slowly worked on exercising more. I'm down to 163 as of today (with clothes on with a scale that seems to read a little high, my new weightwatchers scale states I'm 161 w/o clothes) I'm actually in first place at a little over 9% weight loss with second place closely behind at 7% with only 2 weeks to go. While I am cutting my calories drastically I've actually created a lot of positive habits, actually eating fruits and vegetables, cutting out those fatty and calorie ridden starbucks fraps every morning, etc.

I know though that I can't keep up with "starving" myself with 1200 calories every day for the rest of my life. I know eventually I'll give up and start binge eating again and I don't want that. I want to have a plan that works for the rest of my life. I want to be able to eat healthy and feel full every day and allow myself my treats every once in awhile without overdoing it. I know I'm never going to be perfect and I will have ice cream at times or a fast food burger but I don't want to over do it and I want to learn to moderate my treats.

I'm going to spend the next two weeks researching this amazing concept while I finish the weight loss challenge at work. I want to make sure I know exactly what to expect and make sure I'm following the right steps to create healthier eating habits.

Sorry this was so long. =)
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm so excited to be here! I joined this group after reading a post from 2BeHealthy4Life on the general boards.

I'm Sherri from Wisconsin, 41 yr old and happily married to the greatest guy on the planet!

I joined MFP in August of last year but I didnt get serious until Jan 3rd. My husband and I are on this journey together and we've both made great strides!

In March after about 22lbs loss, I hit my first plateau or so it seems. For most of the month I gained and lost the same 2-5lbs even though not much had changed in diet or exercise. I had also started lifting around the same time, which is probably what contributed to the situation. I know I was still losing inches but no real weight loss. By April I decided to forgo the lifting for a while as I wanted to see more consistent weight loss. It worked... Even though by the end of April I was seeing the weight loss, slow as it may have been, I struggled.

When I started MFP I was allowed about 1450 cals a day by MFP calculations for 2lb per week weight loss. In the beginning this was very successful, but as I dropped weight, my caloric allowance dropped. I was doing my best to eat back my exercise calories but this was the major part of my struggle.

My husband and I workout at night, like after 8 or 9pm, as this is the only real time we have to do so. Workouts were different, sometimes we just hit the treadmill, other times we would add in some strength training. Sometimes things would come up and we wouldnt work out at all. Herein lies the problem. Eating back exercise calories.

Not knowing how much our workouts would burn, I couldnt balance my calories and spread them throughout my day. My breakfast was meager, lunch was filling enough, but dinner was always a guess. And I surely didnt want to go workout and burn 800 calories and try to consume them after my workout at 10pm! I was getting very aggravated and decided it had to stop.

I'd read a few things here and there about eating more and 1200 cal net was doing more harm than good. So I decided to take the plunge and I changed my settings on MFP to 1lb per week loss, which increased my calories to 1830 per day. Wow! What a relief!! I can have a decent breakfast now to fuel my day, I usually shoot for about 500-600 cals for breakfast and I feel better after a good breakfast (even though I eat breakfast at work over a 1-2 hour period at my desk :smile: ).

I havent been eating back my exercise calories (for the most part) since I upped my caloric intake, but I know I can if I want to. I've been averaging a .5 to 1.5lb loss per week since I made the changes and this is sooooooo much easier for me to manage! I do plan to now incorporate some more strength training into my workout once I am able to get back to the gym. I know this is important and I want to mold my body as I lose the weight so I am more fit.

Thanks to those that started this group, I look forward to getting to know you all and reading more in this group!

**Due to a recent medical condition and pending surgery next week, I havent been logging my food every day, my eating has been very irregular due to pain and meds. Even though it has nothing to do with my digestive tract, I just have not been eating normally nor do I have ambition to log atm. I know I do need to get back on it regardless, just for the habit. Just an FYI if you decide to look at my diary, you'll need to go back a week**
  • hill_dilley
    hill_dilley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Morning!

I'm a nervous newby that has been reading up on your approach and going to take the plunge!

I have lost 20KG over the last 2.5years after having my son in 2010, mainly in bursts of being really good (Variety of Weight Watchers &Low carb) for about 6 weeks at a time when I have an incentive (Sisters wedding, returning to work after maternity leave) and then REALLY LONG plateaus as the approaches, although 'effective' by helping me drop 1.5 stone in 6 weeks, are not sustainable in the long term for me. Although I do not pile back on the pounds, I can maintain the drop but then struggle to start again (Usually takes me about 2 weeks to get my head round being super good again). I was average build before having my son in a size 12 top / 14 trousers and have been trying to regain my pre-baby weight (70KG). I'm currently sitting at 78KG and have bounced between 78 -80KG for the last 12 months depending on how 'good' I have been. Would really like to be back to my best ever 68KG. It really hit home last November when I realised I had had my Gym membership for 12months and only consistenly lost 3KG in 12 MONTHS!!!! :sad: I have been reaching a block at 78KG where my body seems to rebound and I binge rather than allow me to drop below. I have hit it once in the last 12 months after a low carb session before returning to work but couldn't maintain it whilst at work.

Although I am not too far off my goal weight and have returned to my pre pegnancy clothes I woud really like to shift the last bit to feel better in my clothes. I have 'tried' a number of approaches but my downfall is definitely consistency (I'm eather really good....or NOT!) and know that I don't have the patience to try it for long enough before changing approach and would like to just stick with on thing that I can maintain. :laugh: My other downfall is the 4pm munches that, if I don't resist, can tot-up to 800-1000KCals of all the wrong foods :mad: (Terrible, I know!) which leads to either skipping dinner or eating dinner anyway even though I'm not hungry.

Have been doing the sums:

Height: 5'8''
    Weight 78KG
    BMR:1577
    TDEE: 2081
    -15%: 1796

I have based it on 'sedentary' as I have an office job and not a serious exercise person, but need to get more consistent on that front aswell! I have signed up for this years Race for Life 5K (The last time I have run 5K was last years Race for Life!). I usually do 2 aqua fit classes a week and home DVD's (Tae Bo or Davina) but not consistently. I dont really enjoy jogging and will only go if it is nice weather and prefer to Swim. As a mum of a little one, there are too many distractions / excuses not to exercise and over the last 12months of starting Nursery, there haven't been many months in a row where either my son or myself have not been unwell with varous bugs from nursery to allow me to get into a good routine. I dont feel up to exercising when unwell, and struggle to leave him when he is unwell as it is me he wants for comfort. If my husband it then unwell, I dont go out and leave him to deal with our son if he is poorly. etc, etc, etc! (Excuse, excuse, excuse!)

If I go with the sedentaty calculations, from my reading I think I understand that, if I do exercise, I need to NET at least my BMR...am I right?

Having been a Low carb / 1200KCal person for a while I know I will probably experience an increase before I see a decrease.

I tried to plan todays meals last night using MFP and not sure If I can eat that much in a day (a common fear I'm sure!) but conscious that they need to be the RIGHT kind of KCals so...
    Lean protein
    Eggs
    Fruti / Veg
    Wholewheat cabs
    NO sugar / processes / refined carbs....am I right?

Any good tips of high KCal snacks to help me up the calories the right way - aiming for 3hrly to start with.

Anyone in the same boat / starting out too or experienced that can offer good advice?

Thanks

Liz
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Hi Liz!
    I'm also a newbie...in it now for about two weeks. I read "New Rules of Lifting for Women", if you haven't read it, I HIGHLY recommend that you do.
    You are taller than me, I'm 5'5, and your BMR is higher too - and I now eat 1800 consistantly every day, regardless of work outs. Oh and I work out 3-5 hours a week. And I've been told I need to eat more, closer to 2000.
    Sooo....in my humble opinion, you need to up your calories more. Especially if you will be doing exercises now and training for that 5k!
    Seeing that you are upping from 1200 I'd say do it gradually. Go up to 1500 for a week then up another 100 cals for a week, then up another 100.
    You should never be below your BMR, and actually also not net it. It should be more, seen as you are not in a coma in hospital and have no movement...hehe. As soon as you get out of bed you start burning calories, thats why its so necessary to feed your body properly so it stays strong and healthy.

I think most of us here's diaries are open...or befriend us and you will have access. Thats the best way to see what to eat and how much etc. :)
    My favourite snack is an apple with peanut butter spread over it! Yum! And then the 4 small blocks of dark Albany chocolate...mmmm.
    All perfectly allowable in your diet and wait for it....HEALTHY! :bigsmile:

By the way, WELCOME! You will get unbelievable support here from these wonderful people!
    Good luck!
    xx
    Karin
  • hill_dilley
    Options
    Thanks Karin

Although I have been aiming for 1200 recently, it has only been for a short time as I am more of a low carb person, on my bad days it can be over 2000 so I figure TDEE -15% will still be a good starting point to get some consistency back in my diet!

I'll open my diary to but I have changed the layout and approach from today so it wont make much sense before that as I hate the way it changes all the past days diaries too!

Having a look at a few diaries I have addd in AM and PM snacks which I think is a good idea and more reflective of how I eat too.

Let me know what you think!

Will have a look for the book - I see lots recommend it!

p.s. Lots in your profile was VERY familliar to me!

Liz x :smile:
  • hill_dilley
    Options
    Hi there ..... A very good friend on MFP recommended that I join the group.....

My name is Karen....my weight loss has stalled .... when I started way back when I was 87kg (191.4lb) I am now 73 kg (160.0lb) I want to get to 59kg (130lb) and I am stuck stuck stuck.

I started on MFP and had some good results and then I started to gym....and now nothing... I fluctuate around a certain weigh and cannot get the scale to move down at all. I am as per MFP on 1200 cals per day.

So I've been reading posts etc and have worked out what my BF is and how many calories I should be eating a day......including ecercise....and I think I have it s right.....

2033 calories = BMR so minus 15% takes it to 1784....which is what I should eat and I don't eat my exercise calories back...right?

feeling a bit nervous ......

Hi - We have a similar story!
    It is my first day and I see you posted this a few days ago - how is is going?
    I'm interested to see what kind of gain I can expect in the first few weeks after being on restricted KCals.........
    Can anyone share their experiences to stop us newbies feeling so nervous!
    Liz
  • SLwrites
    SLwrites Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I logged on to MFP yesterday, as I have done every so often over the past few months, to log my current weight. I popped over to the message boards to see if I could find some inspiration, and the post by 2BeHealthy4Life hit me square in the face. I spent hours last night and today reading pages of messages in this group, checking out the stickies, learning everything I could. This feels very much like the promised land, but I'm so scared it's a mirage.

I grew up with a mother who almost never ate dinner, and pretty much starved herself when she wanted to lose weight. So that's what dieting is all about right? I started MFP over a year ago. I didn't have too much trouble staying on 1200 cals a day...seems I wasn't eating much more than that anyway. I dropped 12 pounds in the first month or so, and then the up and down began. I've regained that same 12 pounds, added more, lost some, gained some. When I hit my highest weight ever, 246, I decided to invest in myself and try the weight loss clinic my gastroenterologist runs. The first thing he did was drop me to 800 cals a day, with no eating back my exercise calories. I do about 45 minutes on the elliptical at least 3 days a week, keeping my heart rate in the proper 'fat burn' range he recommended. (I went on a 3 mile hike that about kicked my butt, and I would have ended up at negative net cals for the day, but I cheated and had a sandwich.) He put me on metformin and B12 shots and digestive enzymes. I'm only rarely hungry, but I never feel quite right, my skin is terrible, and in the back of my head, I'm thinking this can't be healthy.

I have one week left on the plan. So far I've lost 14 pounds, but I don't think it was worth the price I've paid, both in how I feel and in actual expense. I mean, I lost that the first six weeks at 1200 cals on MFP too, you know? Plus, I'm not sure I believe their scale. I went two weeks only losing a pound and a half on this brutal diet, and then yesterday's appointment showed I'd dropped 3.5 pounds last week. My home scale has given me numbers that match those at the office until this week, when it showed only a pound lost. So did I really lose 3.5 pounds? Anyway, the doc's PA mentioned that the plan going forward is to do two weeks at 1200 cals a day, to give me a break, then back down to 800 cals for another 6 weeks, repeating until I'm at my goal weight. I'd already been of the mind to stop after next week because frankly, I can't afford another round. And then I came out of that appointment incredibly discouraged, thinking I cannot do this to myself anymore. Then I read that post and found this group.

I logged my data on the Scooby site, and even choosing light activity and setting it to a 25% cut (getting the warning about asking the doctor first), I should be eating 1788 calories a day...almost 1k more than the doctor has me on. At light activity and a 15% cut, I should be eating 2026 calories a day. I just can't even comprehend eating that much, after sticking to 1200 cals or less for this long!

The idea of totally changing my outlook on food is a little terrifying, but maybe I'll finally have the energy to get back to lifting, which I used to love back in the days when I could eat anything I wanted and never gain an ounce. As it is, it takes every bit of energy I have to hop on that elliptical three days a week. And I miss food!

I cringe at the idea of the weight increasing with the extra food, especially since I just paid so dearly to drop those 14 pounds. But I can't diet like this anymore. The idea that there's a better way that actually includes food puts tears in my eyes!

Sorry this is so long. I know I'll need the support of the group as I go forward, but I know I'm among people who all understand how hard that switch to "it's okay to eat" is.

On a side note, once I can show my hubby that this works, maybe he'll get on board. He's a big guy, 6'5", 280 pounds. He's on his feet all day long at work, and he eats once, sometimes twice a day, and is frustrated that his weight doesn't budge. According to Scooby, he should be eating at least twice the calories he's normally getting.

Thanks for being here, everyone.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    SLWrites,

Please do not continue to attend that diet clinic. That doesn't sound healthy at all and you are not getting the nutrients your body needs to work properly.

Dont be discouraged if you do see an initial weight gain, your body wont know what to do with all the calories you are giving it, but it wont take long for you to see that change. Once you are feeling better and your body realizes that the caloric intake is normal, and you are exercising regularly including the lifting, any initial gain should soon come off.

You will feel SO MUCH BETTER if you are eating healthy calories to fuel your body! :smile:
  • cohenandlani
    cohenandlani Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Im hoping you can help.

Im suffering a major plateau and Im so close to my goal it is getting extremely frustrating. Ive been here before though and put all my weight back on so Im really worried that if I cant get through this plateau I’ll just end up bouncing back up again.

Post kids I lost 10kgs in 2007 and the weight steadily crept back on and more. This time I have been fully committed and Im at a loss as to what to do.

My stats are:
    (sorry Im in Australia and work in metric so I’ve had to google the weights so I hope they are correct, as I notice most of you are in the US and you pounds!)

Height 159cm or 5ft 3

Start 7/1/12

Weight 74.4 kg or 163 lbs
    Neck 34cm or 13.4 in
    Waist 89cm or 35 in
    Hips 102cm or 40.2 in
    Body fat 33.1%

Now 19/5/12

Weight 66.8kg or 146 lbs
    Neck 33cm or 13 in
    Waist 80cm or 31.5 in
    Hips 92cm or 36.2 in
    Body fast 29.6 %

BMR 1496
    TDEE 2320

So... where should my calorie goal be?????

I have lost most of my weight eating at or under 1200 and not really eating my exercise calories back. I go under 1200 calories easily and to be honest find it really hard to eat above that. However Ive been doing a lot of reading and think that Im not eating enough. So for the past week I have been making a concerted effort to eat more. Im also wondering if maybe my body is getting used to what foods Im eating as I have started to tend to stick to the same thing. Ive been pretty strict with my food and measurements.

I also have a lot of problems eating throughout the day ie: I pretty much eat just 3 meals a day, as I find it hard to snack throughout the day. I need some snack ideas I think?

My exercise is normally an hours cardio twice a week (at least) and 90 mins of hot yoga twice a week. Some weeks more some weeks less.

Im frustrated as I know I have more cms and kilos to lose but a friend said to me the other day perhaps this is where my body wants to sit and maybe I shouldn’t fight it? Felt like slapping her skinny butt!

But seriously, has anyone else found this?

Im 38 and have 2 kids and am starting to feel that maybe this is just it for me???

I want to do this right and so Im happy to take it slow but 8kgs in 5 months is just painstaking! Any tips would be appreciated.

Rochelle xxx
  • ramaraj
    ramaraj Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have being trying to loose wt from the past 3 months and have being stuck at the same wt these asre my stats please help

Cw : 160
    Gw:145
    Calories : 1350
    Work out 4-5 times a week
    Goal of burning 3500 calories a week
    By Bmr 1471
    Tdee: 2281
    I have 4-5 meals a day

So what can I do to loose and get over my weightless plateau
    Thanks
  • hill_dilley
    Options
    I have being trying to loose wt from the past 3 months and have being stuck at the same wt these asre my stats please help

Cw : 160
    Gw:145
    Calories : 1350
    Work out 4-5 times a week
    Goal of burning 3500 calories a week
    By Bmr 1471
    Tdee: 2281
    I have 4-5 meals a day

So what can I do to loose and get over my weightless plateau
    Thanks

I'm a newby here but have done a lot of reading - check out all the sicky posts at the beginning of the group posts and Eat More2WeighLess on You Tube.

To follow the Eat More2WeighLess approach, you will need to increase your calories (All good clean foods) to TDEE-15% which would be 1938 daily for you. I know this sounds a lot and you may be thinking How can I eat that much, I know I did! Think Breakfast, snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Snack. Your 1350 is way below BMR and then all your exercise on top is creating a defecit too large for your body to be comfortable to give up any fat reserves. Have a read around the posts and you will find lots of people (Me included) that have turned here after plateauing on restricted calories. With 3500 weekly burn you are exercising enough to drop 1lb per week even before the calorie defecit from eating below your BMR (Which is causing your plateau!).

The basic rules that I have followed from the reading:
    Consistency is key, aim to always consume TDEE -15%. (Overeating will be ok, under eating will be counter productive)
    You dont need to eat back the exercise calories (Taken into account in the calculation) UNLESS your daily excercise puts your NET caloried BELOW your BMR - then you need to eat up to your BMR at least.....Does that make sense?
    (Recalculate your TDEE after each 5lb loss).

Read the 'what to expect' thread - anticipate that your body will take a number of weeks to adjust after such a defecit (May plateau or gain up to 5lbs) BUT then read all the successes that see consistent losses and feeling great whilst fueling your body and having boundless energy for exercise that follows!

5 days in here but holding on to those success stories whilst feeling full as expected!

Ooh, and most recomment strength training to help build LEAN muscle without overdoing the cardio.

Hope this helps

Liz x
  • pundas
    pundas Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I found this group! My name is Stephanie! I was stuck brainwashed for so long thinking I needed to eat 1200 calories a day. Sticking to 1200 calories a day (especially on resting days) was so hard for me to maintain. On resting days, I would more than likely binge the next day because I would be so hungry and crave literally EVERYTHING. I upped my intake to 1600, and will see how it goes from there.

I weight 118 and would love to just tone up. I have very little muscle on my body and want to gain strength. I ordered my first jar of protein powder last week and am so excited to get it! I am a vegetarian and realized I am not eating close to enough protein as I should. I'm hoping all of this will help me :)
  • Kellysmom78
    Kellysmom78 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ok, a friend recommended this group. I am fairly new to MVP, and am struggling getting the weight off. I am in the gym 4-5 days a week, doing the treadmill for 1 hr and doing weight machines for another 1-2 hrs also. I also try to ride my bike 4 days a week. I had two eat out meals last Thursday and put three pounds back on, which I am still working on, I know some might say it's fluid, but I'm not so sure. The thought of this program is scary, I've struggled so hard to get off these few pounds.
    I am 5 ft and current weight is 152.4....my goal is 125-130 I also know that my age is a factor ...soon to be 54.
    Any info and help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
  • cafeconleche
    Options
    Hello:) my name is Mariah, I live in FL. I'm a mom of 2 small kids and I so desperately want to be that fit mama! I gained about 60 lbs with my first child. I probably lost about 30-35 of that when I became pregnant 18 months later. Re-gained the weight; lost about 20 lbs; regained it, topping off at 216 when I started back around April of this year. So tired of yo-yo ing. I've used MFP for a year and a half. I would use it, get frustrated, stop, and then come back. I didn't even know a community existed until a couple weeks ago. That is how I found this group, on one of the main forums, someone mentioned it. Since I have been back on,, I've lost about 13 lbs (a few lost before I got to logging again) and I have stalled out where I am now. I was eating the old MFP default of....1200 calories, sometimes less! I knew when I was wanting naps, something was off. I'm not normally a napper.

So my CW: 199
    GW: 150 (I need to fix my ticker!)
    Height: 5'10

From scooby, it says:
    BMR: 1712
    TDEE: 2653
    TDEE-15% cut is 2255.

I don't have a gym membership, but I am working in strength and playing with the amount of running I do per week. What is difficult for me, is the weekends when my husband is home. I am scouring for recipes that would suit the family, but he is my pickiest eater :/ total meat and potatoes guy! Which I know I can eat now:) but not every night! So I am hoping to find inspiration here! Thanks for reading. This is a fabulous group, and I am so fortunate to have found it. Anewlucia, great job you and all the pro's are doing here:)
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I have just got back from a 2 week holiday in the States and have gained (as I knew I would as I have not been counting or exercising) so I figured this would be an ideal time to start eating more to weigh less!

I am 33 and live in London, England. I have lost 20lbs so far and am currently 268.5lbs. Here are my stats:

BMR: 1889
    TDEE: 2726

So, I am setting my daily cals at 2000. Now, this is worked out with exercise at very low. Reason being is that I like to eat my exercise cals back as it gives me a reason to exercise. I am going to try it this way to start with and then re-evaluate as necessary.

I am totally excited to do this (and a little scared) but am going to give it the full 6 weeks recommended and not break!

Looking forward to getting to know you all better. Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • ChrissyLu723
    ChrissyLu723 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hello I am a 46 year old Mom of 3, I deliver newspapers daily, takes me about an hour to walk the mile because of all the stopped and running up peoples driveways...Other then that, my husband and I try to walk everyday (weather permitting) about an hour, and sometimes we ride our bikes.
    My BMR is 1499 My TDEE is 1798 so I'm guessing I should be eating about 1528 a week in calories. I have my activity as sedentary because I do work on the computer and my PT job I stand at a register...I started at 263.8 back in May 2011 and as of today I'm 175.8. I want to get to 150 lbs by my 47th birthday in November.