Phase 2

Options

Replies

• debwaid
    debwaid Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    HELP!!! All Live Fitters who are past Week 2 of Phase 2
    How did you do the drop sets???? I don't have a workout partner! And what is the giant drop set to failure for the leg press?????

When I did this with my friend she had me do the lateral raises at a drop set. So I started at like 15 for the first set then dropped to 12.5 for the 2nd set and then 10 for the third set.

Got this off of Phase 2 Info.
    While we're on the topic of definitions, you'll also need to know what "lifting to failure" means: On your last set of an exercise, instead of lifting to a set number (rep), continuing to lift until the muscle is fatigued and another full rep can't be performed.
    OK so does that mean that I go all out on the last sett?? And thanks!
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    How did you do the drop sets???? I don't have a workout partner! And what is the giant drop set to failure for the leg press?????

When I did this with my friend she had me do the lateral raises at a drop set. So I started at like 15 for the first set then dropped to 12.5 for the 2nd set and then 10 for the third set.

While we're on the topic of definitions, you'll also need to know what "lifting to failure" means: On your last set of an exercise, instead of lifting to a set number (rep), continuing to lift until the muscle is fatigued and another full rep can't be performed.

On the lift to failure - yes you go until you can't go anymore on the last set.
  • debwaid
    Options

On the lift to failure - yes you go until you can't go anymore on the last set.
    Awesome, thanks so much! Feel free to add me as a friend if you like!! :blushing:
  • FlTGlRL
    FlTGlRL Posts: 239
    Options
    Hey guys...

I'm checking in. I hope you guys are doing good and seeing results. Don't go to crazy with Easter dinner :drinker: :smile:
    I'm in week 2, phase 2 (Day 37). It has been very hard for me to do 6 days in a row, especially with the length/amount lifted in phase two, so I've just been resting when I absolutely need to. I actually started phase 2 three weeks ago and found my self doing the same thing (breaking the days up) and so I started over but really that seems to be the only way I can do it right now. So basically, I will do 3 days, take 1 off, than do another 3 days, that seems to work best for me. I know it's terrible but I've almost completely fallen off the wagon with keeping track of food in the diary. I'm going to keep trying though, however, I've still been eating healthy and counting on my own during the day. I eat all the same things I was eating when counting but I know they is very important so I need to keep at it.

I'm soooo ready to see some results guys. I will keep you posted.
    How is everyone else doing?
  • debwaid
    Options
    I didn't get to the gym yesterday and may not make it today either! We've been house hunting and that has messed up my gym time. So, I am still doing what I can...not going to start over, just do what I can. If I get to the gym today, It will be day 41 in Phase 2. Hubby had Date Night last night, so that was a nice cheat meal! I weighed this morning, up .2 lbs so it didn't kill my efforts!! Hope everyone has a wonderful Easter! We are taking the boat out on the lake and having a picnic after church.
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    Well that's a relief to here, I guess we are only human. Good luck on your house searching.
    It sounds like you have a really nice Easter planned. I love boating and going on picnics!

~~Happy Easter~~
  • AiJahya
    AiJahya Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well...where to start!

I went on vacation, and intended to pick up where I left off (Phase 2, starting week 3) when I got back. I was hoping to do some minimal resistance training while I was gone. Then I got food poisoning, became severely dehydrated, and went to the ER...where I found out that on top of everything else, I have a kidney infection. Needless to say, I haven't been working out. :(

I should be able to start working out again on Tuesday, but I think I've lost nearly everything I built in Phase 2. :sad: So! I think I'm starting back at Phase 2. Should I start completely over? Or do you think starting Phase 2 again would be okay? :ohwell:

I hope everyone has a great Easter! :bigsmile:
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    OMG...Sorry to hear about all of that, that's terrible! I'm glad you are okay. Maybe let your body recuperate for a week or so. It's up to you on starting over, it might be easier for you (as far as workouts go) and getting back into the grove by starting at the beginning of phase 2. I've already started over once in phase 2, so when I take any days off I'm just picking up where I left off at this point. I think I'm only going to start over 1 time per phase at most because I don't want to get bored and lose interest.
    I hope you were able to have a nice Easter :)

Well...where to start!

I went on vacation, and intended to pick up where I left off (Phase 2, starting week 3) when I got back. I was hoping to do some minimal resistance training while I was gone. Then I got food poisoning, became severely dehydrated, and went to the ER...where I found out that on top of everything else, I have a kidney infection. Needless to say, I haven't been working out. :(

I should be able to start working out again on Tuesday, but I think I've lost nearly everything I built in Phase 2. :sad: So! I think I'm starting back at Phase 2. Should I start completely over? Or do you think starting Phase 2 again would be okay? :ohwell:

• debwaid
    Options
    OMG...Sorry to hear about all of that, that's terrible! I'm glad you are okay. Maybe let your body recuperate for a week or so. It's up to you on starting over, it might be easier for you (as far as workouts go) and getting back into the grove by starting at the beginning of phase 2. I've already started over once in phase 2, so when I take any days off I'm just picking up where I left off at this point. I think I'm only going to start over 1 time per phase at most because I don't want to get bored and lose interest.

Well...where to start!

I was sorry to see that you were so sick on your vacation! Life sure gets in the way sometimes!

It has for me as well. We started building a house back in January, but due to construction issues we were forced to backout. So last week, I spent a part of everyday house hunting and will continue until we find something. I didn't make it to the gym Friday or Saturday. I haven't gotten in the second leg workout for either of the first 2 weeks. So this morning laying in bed, I decided that I would start Phase 2 over. I decided that because although I don't think I've lost any growth/strength, I just think that for me personally, I am not going to start Phase 3 when the 4 weeks were up anyways. I have about 30 pounds to go and I really think until I am closer to goal, I don't need to start Phase 3 til then. I mean we are all going to be continuing a workout of some kind after we finish Phase 3 anyways, if and when we do! I think the Key Point here is to just keeping working out!!
  • aj_31
    Options
    I'm thinking about switching programs. After talking to a few others and doing some research I might switch it up to StrongLift 5x5 or something else. Not sure yet. I'd like to find something that is 4-5 days a week. We'll see what happens.
  • debwaid
    Options
    I'm thinking about switching programs. After talking to a few others and doing some research I might switch it up to StrongLift 5x5 or something else. Not sure yet. I'd like to find something that is 4-5 days a week. We'll see what happens.
    I haven't heard of that but will look into it! Life is definitely imposing on my schedule! Or either I have to get up at the crack of dawn and get it out of the way first! Something I could do, but I really rather sleep in if I can!!! :yawn:
  • aj_31
    Options
    I haven't heard of that but will look into it! Life is definitely imposing on my schedule! Or either I have to get up at the crack of dawn and get it out of the way first! Something I could do, but I really rather sleep in if I can!!! :yawn:

Yeah if you go to StrongLift.com a website will come up and you have to enter your name and email to get the worksheet. Its 3 days a week M,W,F and it works with compound lifting vs isolation like Jamie's plan is mainly made up with. Articles I've read and people I've talked to said if you are trying to lose body fat then compound lifting is the way to go because you get better overall results. I still plan on doing some isolation lifts because I need to work on my arms and stuff but I think this program might be better for me since I have a good 30 lbs I could lose. Honeslty I have no idea what program would work better but I like the schedule and I think it would be a little less exhausting and if I can get the same results then I figured I would try it. I did it yesterday and I can feel it all over in my body. Its also a 12 wk program.
  • AiJahya
    AiJahya Posts: 84 Member
    Options

I'm thinking I'lll do some light exercise (walking, maybe some resistance band type stuff) this week and start lifting again Saturday. I'm still feeling kinda yucky, but much, much better! I think I'll just start over at Phase 2. I don't feel like I need to start over completely, so we will see how that goes!
    I was sorry to see that you were so sick on your vacation! Life sure gets in the way sometimes!

It has for me as well. We started building a house back in January, but due to construction issues we were forced to backout. So last week, I spent a part of everyday house hunting and will continue until we find something. I didn't make it to the gym Friday or Saturday. I haven't gotten in the second leg workout for either of the first 2 weeks. So this morning laying in bed, I decided that I would start Phase 2 over. I decided that because although I don't think I've lost any growth/strength, I just think that for me personally, I am not going to start Phase 3 when the 4 weeks were up anyways. I have about 30 pounds to go and I really think until I am closer to goal, I don't need to start Phase 3 til then. I mean we are all going to be continuing a workout of some kind after we finish Phase 3 anyways, if and when we do! I think the Key Point here is to just keeping working out!!

Oh no! That sounds so stressful! I hope everything works out okay.

Phase 3 looks tough and time consuming. Phase 2 seems like it's hard enough! I can't imagine juggling all of that. And I'm sure that taking a couple of days off here and there won't hurt anything. Nice to know I'll be in the same boat with someone...even if that boat is kind of frustrating workout-wise!
  • debwaid
    Options

Yeah if you go to StrongLift.com a website will come up and you have to enter your name and email to get the worksheet. Its 3 days a week M,W,F and it works with compound lifting vs isolation like Jamie's plan is mainly made up with. Articles I've read and people I've talked to said if you are trying to lose body fat then compound lifting is the way to go because you get better overall results. I still plan on doing some isolation lifts because I need to work on my arms and stuff but I think this program might be better for me since I have a good 30 lbs I could lose. Honeslty I have no idea what program would work better but I like the schedule and I think it would be a little less exhausting and if I can get the same results then I figured I would try it. I did it yesterday and I can feel it all over in my body. Its also a 12 wk program.
    Thanks for the info! I will check it out! I have roughly the same amount to lose. I am looking into New Rules for Lifting for Women too!
  • debwaid
    Options

I'm thinking I'lll do some light exercise (walking, maybe some resistance band type stuff) this week and start lifting again Saturday. I'm still feeling kinda yucky, but much, much better! I think I'll just start over at Phase 2. I don't feel like I need to start over completely, so we will see how that goes!

I was sorry to see that you were so sick on your vacation! Life sure gets in the way
    Oh no! That sounds so stressful! I hope everything works out okay.

Phase 3 looks tough and time consuming. Phase 2 seems like it's hard enough! I can't imagine juggling all of that. And I'm sure that taking a couple of days off here and there won't hurt anything. Nice to know I'll be in the same boat with someone...even if that boat is kind of frustrating workout-wise!
    Thanks it has been very frustrating! Today I looked at 5 in the afternoon and then 4 more in the early evening! I looked ahead to Phase 3 today too and it does look very hard! Still tossing around a couple of other ideas though! Good luck!
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. Phase 3 is just too many things. I can do many things but I'm not sure about phase 3. I will finish phase 2 and research some other more reasonable programs and then make the best decsion for me.

I am actually repeating phase 2 right now because I got the flu. I layed in the bed for 2 days with the chills and lost 4 lbs. I know for a fact its wasnt fat because my body measurements didnt change much :( Grrrr. So that is also causing a bit of frustration. I worked so hard for all that muscle and I lost it. Oh well, now I'm back in it.
  • debwaid
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. Phase 3 is just too many things. I can do many things but I'm not sure about phase 3. I will finish phase 2 and research some other more reasonable programs and then make the best decsion for me.

I am actually repeating phase 2 right now because I got the flu. I layed in the bed for 2 days with the chills and lost 4 lbs. I know for a fact its wasnt fat because my body measurements didnt change much :( Grrrr. So that is also causing a bit of frustration. I worked so hard for all that muscle and I lost it. Oh well, now I'm back in it.
    Don't beat yourself up!! I don't see how you could lose muscle in just a couple of days!!! Glad you are feeling better and back on track though!

I bought the book "New Rules for Lifting for Women" last night and have been reading through it. Still not sure where or what I will do, but I pretty sure that I do not need to move on to Phase 3 until I have lost more weight (fat)! After reading through what I could of the book, I have to share that I think Jamie's program is easier to understand and more simplified that New Rules.
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    STICK WITH IT...
    Hey guys c'mon now...Don't poop out on me now!
    How about we just stick with phase 2 and 3 but modify it to be practical for our lifestyles. I'm thinking this other 1/2 is where we will really start to see results, even if we just stick with doing 1/2 of what she recommends.

Let me know what you think. I'm going to stick it out and try to complete as much of it as I can but I love hearing about other programs, especially ones that are 5 days per week, so please continue to share!!
  • debwaid
    Options
    STICK WITH IT...
    Hey guys c'mon now...Don't poop out on me now!
    How about we just stick with phase 2 and 3 but modify it to be practical for our lifestyles. I'm thinking this other 1/2 is where we will really start to see results, even if we just stick with doing 1/2 of what she recommends.

Let me know what you think. I'm going to stick it out and try to complete as much of it as I can but I love hearing about other programs, especially ones that are 5 days per week, so please continue to share!!
    Yes maam!!! I have not bailed yet! What I like about her program is that is all spelled out for you!! She makes it so simple! Today will be the first time I've been in a week. I'm still eating pretty clean and I have been sure to get in as much activity that I could by setting a goal of 10,000 steps a day, and climbing 10 floors! I have hit those goals every day!

I definitely will have to modify some of the program because some of the workouts are impossible to do the way she prescribes simply because of the way my gym is set up! The thigh machines are in a room clear across the other side of the gym! So that superset can't be done the way she has set it up.

Still on board though!!
  • aj_31
    Options

Don't beat yourself up!! I don't see how you could lose muscle in just a couple of days!!! Glad you are feeling better and back on track though!

I bought the book "New Rules for Lifting for Women" last night and have been reading through it. Still not sure where or what I will do, but I pretty sure that I do not need to move on to Phase 3 until I have lost more weight (fat)! After reading through what I could of the book, I have to share that I think Jamie's program is easier to understand and more simplified that New Rules.

I would agree with you on the NROL. It looks pretty complicated when you look at the book and try to figure out which workouts go with which day etc. I like how Jamie's plan has print out sheets for each day. That being said on Monday I did start SL 5x5. So far I like it. Last night it took me about 35 min to finish the program. After that I added in a couple sets of pull-ups and some ab work. A good 45 min workout and burned 315 cals. I also did cardio earlier in the day and burned 300 cals. I think I'd go back to Jamie's program later on this summer after I make some progress with this SL program.