Increasing Calories - What to expect & why you need patience...

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    emiannmor wrote: »
    Hey all! Just started upping my calories about a week ago and I am digging this plan! I was wondering if anyone here practices yoga? I do hot yoga once or twice a week and also practice a few days at home. I'm not really sure how many calories this burns and there is A LOT of conflicting information out there particularly about the hot yoga. I just want to make sure I'm eating enough to sustain my activity! I'm 5'1" 130lbs and currently at 1500 calories which is actually my TDEE-20% but I'm seriously considering the metabolism reset route. Any help you all can offer would be fabulous and appreciated!! Thanks!

Hot yoga as estimated calorie burn by HR will be inflated.
    Because the higher HR is NOT because of more effort, but merely because of the heat.
    Your heart beats faster to help cool you, not because you are burning more energy.

Just log it as yoga, or when estimating it with TDEE table, it's about 1/2 the time they say to use for exercise, because it's about as intense as walking slow.
    So if you do 3 hrs weekly, that's counts as 1.5 hrs in the TDEE table.
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi, I will try to keep this to the point. But, bare with me! I've been on MFP for over two years. did really well the first 6 months and lost 17 pounds. Once I plateaued, I hit a wall and stayed there. Over the last 8 -9 months, the weight has crept back up. so, I'm up 6 pounds from that original loss.
    I did 1200 calories to get there.
    I've been yo-yoing my calories, but get scared and back off again. I want this to stop!!!

I'm 50 years old
    5'6' tall
    weight 161.2
    goal weight 145

BMR 1460
    TDEE - 15% 1870

So, when I started this increase, I gained a few pounds within two weeks. I cut back to 1500 last week and dropped one. (hard to tell if this is all a real loss?)

The weird thing is, I went out of town for 4 days. I was on the upped calories, so I ate well, but ate what I wanted and stayed under. I was busy walking around, shopping and stuff. Came home and had lost 1/2 #. No real exercise. Now, that I'm home, running, walking and lifting, the weight went up. So, I got scared and cut it again.
    I feel like I need to be held by the hand and walked through what I should do, and what to expect and for how long before I see a good change.
    Oh, I'm type 1 diabetic. hypothyroid. Both in control.

Here's my hand.......will you take it and help me, Please?
  • heybales
    Options
    Best to get an actual topic in the main section going, rather than in a sticky where not everyone will see it. When you put your info in again - you'll need to include more info to actually get help.
    What is daily life activity level.
    And what are the workouts and their time and frequency.

Can't take hand to lead if no where to go. Can't go anywhere without more info. Need the same info you needed to guess which TDEE level to chose. But if your desire to not go up influenced that selection, not good news.
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
  • beautyh2t
    beautyh2t Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Really hope no one minds me butting in and posting but could really use some help and just stumbled upon the thread and it feels the right place to be.

To give you a background over last 5 years I lost 5 stone with just general life changes that needed made. The problem is with that last stone I really fixated and its given me a n awful relationship with food that i ma now trying to fix ( damn you slimming world!) so here I am 29- 5'7 and right now 11stone 5 (nearer 11 stone but currently battling an ongoing up and down water weight) I have worked with my personal trainer who has helped me reverse diet to where I am now ( 1800 cals a day but still on the 5:2 system where on two days I eat around 700 cals- it helped my ibs!) We got up to 2k cals a day but thats when I think i panicked and mistook the slight gains at that amount for hitting my 'ceiling' so we went for the deficit to 1800 but bascially- i still have no period and I feel like I should be looking to increase to regain it before considering a deficit. What does everyone think? I stopped the pil almost 10 months back and only just realising now my period not returning is bad after 6 months. Just had the tests to show not pre menopausal so feel it is from my restrictive time at around 1300 cals a day.

I also worry exercise is contributing, i walk to and form work 5 days a week which i love but is 7 miles a day. and I have been learnign to lift which I also love but its been 3 half hour sessions a week ( not much but maybe all together contributing!)

I would like to ditch the low cal days and just get a nice even calorie split over the week that is going to repair my body with the ultimate goal of getting it in shape to make a small deficit to lost a few lbs. But i feel like I am a bit lost as to what is right for me right now- please help!
  • heybales
    Options
    Is work a desk job?
    No kids and pets that increase activity at home in evening, so outside of walking and workouts, bump on a log basically?

In TDEE tables, count walking as 1/2 the time it takes, added to lifting time.

And yes, that walking time is taking away from time that could be spent better on lifting 3 x weekly, if limited.

For better TDEE estimate to include daily activity, on my profile page, 2nd spreadsheet listed for Just my TDEE and Deficit please.
    Have to convert to US or metric sadly, but still can help nail that number better, I'm betting the 1800 wasn't nearly enough for a long time - could probably punch in old weight where you did even less and see how big your deficit was then.

But daily goal can help meet it.
  • mich19025
    mich19025 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Started lifting heavy 9 weeks ago, 4 times a week and a session of hiit in the middle (compound moves along with some accessory work). It's down to that type of exercise that I realized my body wasn't getting the fuel it needed to run. I get such a buzz from upping weights each week now that it has taken over any buzz i'm getting from seeing a number on the scale. My main goal at first was to lift weight, cut body fat/scale weight and get 10 pounds lighter. It quickly dawned on me after a few weeks of feeling drained and not losing on the scale that after eating at bmr and even lower since 2008 has messed my metabolism up. There's no way I could cut anymore calories(was eating 1400) and keep progressing in strength. Was even going to settle for doing a recomp at 1700-1800 cals thinking that this is my maintenance cals. My tdee is actually close to 2100(scooby) so I would ideally like to be cutting around 1700 (once i get to that stage in life again). Have upped to 1500 last week, 1700 this week and will continue the trend. One thing I have noticed over the past couple of days though is that my feeling of hunger has increased. I think my body is telling me now that it NEEDS food. Don't get me wrong, that side of things never went away. I used to be 'good' and would then 'binge' and feel like I had been weak and blamed this for me not losing weight. The positive thing to come from it is that I've tracked macros for a couple of years so have been getting adequate protein and my muscle mass is pretty good, I just have some body fat that i'd quite like to shed in the future. As a side note, the lifting has still changed my body/shape and I have dropped some body fat. It really is amazing.
  • beauchampsara
    beauchampsara Posts: 19 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's funny that I found this post. I originally had my calorie goal set to 1200. It's been 46 days so far that I have been logging. In these 46 days I've managed to lose 10 pounds, +/- a few (water weight). It's going on to the third week that I have not seen a change in my weight. I just can't seem to lose. Then I started to factor in the amount of exercise that I'm doing. Some day's after eating 1200-1300 calories and then burning 500+, it's like my body was only really eating 600 or so. I then upped my calories from 1200 to 1400. No changes either but no gaining. And I can't really complain. I'd rather see no changes than gain! But last night I decided to up my calories to 1700. I think this is a good goal for me. Using my Polar A300, on a typical day that I don't work out I burn 1700-1800 calories. If I go to the gym and burn 500, I'll end up around 1200. I won't really be "starving" myself, like my body thinks.

I know I'm rambling, but after talking with my friend whose lost almost 35 pounds, this seems like a fantastic idea and people need to stop beating into our heads that such high deficits are beneficial. Yes you need a deficit to lose weight, but too much and you'll end up regretting it! I probably don't even make sense hahaha!

My new inspiration is to fuel my body and get as active as possible. To get moving, and not worry so much as to what the number on the scale is, but how my clothes fit, and the improvements I make in endurance.

#rambleover ;)
  • Meselele
    Meselele Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    guys I think I need to be brainwashed here,, am just too scareed to up the calories....
  • heybales
    Options
    Meselele wrote: »
    guys I think I need to be brainwashed here,, am just too scareed to up the calories....

Don't need to be brainwashed - just educated as to the facts. And likely be emotionally calmed down by reading many of the currently active topics you'll find below with people eating way more than they ever thought they could - and not gaining any weight, or small water weight.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    2nd week of upping my calories. Haven't weighed myself but I am feeling better
    Getting ready to incorporate 3 days of strength training

Question do I have to be lifting heavy weights. Can I do body weights exercises like TRX?? Do TRX class and kettlebell class already
  • heybales
    Options
    faytwain wrote: »

Question do I have to be lifting heavy weights. Can I do body weights exercises like TRX?? Do TRX class and kettlebell class already

Depends on your goal.

Your body only feels the need to improve strength and once existing muscle is tapped out, to attempt to grow more muscle, if it is overloaded with weight in a progressive fashion.

If it is overloaded with endurance, that doesn't mean stronger, that means more glucose stores to endure longer.

The rep range that has shown improvements by weight and could be considered lifting is 20 reps and less, more than that and you are failing at a lift because of mere fatigue.
    Same as you could curl your arm with no weights and eventually you'll get tired.

The other consideration is rest for a second set or another exercise.

Hold your breath for 30 seconds after an exercise and then move on to the next one. Should be harder.
    Why though? Because it was a good workout? Or because you didn't recover enough to go as hard as you could?
    Obviously it would feel hard - but could it be made harder if you did breath for that 30 seconds?

If you jump routine to routine with little to no rest, and that is the only reason the whole package feels like a good hard workout - then you aren't overloading the body much in anyway except lack of recovery.

You can make progress - just not as fast as if your body could really do the next routine with full strength and be impacted by it.
  • FancyPantsFran
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    faytwain wrote: »

Depends on your goal.

Your body only feels the need to improve strength and once existing muscle is tapped out, to attempt to grow more muscle, if it is overloaded with weight in a progressive fashion.

If it is overloaded with endurance, that doesn't mean stronger, that means more glucose stores to endure longer.

The rep range that has shown improvements by weight and could be considered lifting is 20 reps and less, more than that and you are failing at a lift because of mere fatigue.
    Same as you could curl your arm with no weights and eventually you'll get tired.

The other consideration is rest for a second set or another exercise.

Hold your breath for 30 seconds after an exercise and then move on to the next one. Should be harder.
    Why though? Because it was a good workout? Or because you didn't recover enough to go as hard as you could?
    Obviously it would feel hard - but could it be made harder if you did breath for that 30 seconds?

If you jump routine to routine with little to no rest, and that is the only reason the whole package feels like a good hard workout - then you aren't overloading the body much in anyway except lack of recovery.

You can make progress - just not as fast as if your body could really do the next routine with full strength and be impacted by it.

My goal is to lose weight tone and build more muscle. Since starting kettle bells n tRX I have been inching toward those goals. I am going to incorporate one more day of strength training. Just wondering if I should do that day with free weights
  • heybales
    Options
    Toning is losing fat that is covering muscle - and then having the muscle there to see.
    So good goals.

Free weights would be a stronger impact that requires the body to improve.

Should be able to get a basic full body routine in 45 min, maybe 60 at the start until form is automatic.
    That would cover lower and upper body, compound moves, to almost failure, in like 2 sets.
    For stated goal, rep range 8-12. When you hit 12, increase weight 5 lbs upper body, 10 lbs lower body, and move back to 8 reps. Working your way up weekly with an extra rep.
  • FancyPantsFran
    Options
    On 4th week of upping my calories

Pros. Feel less bitchy & tired
    Eating a variety but having some junk 2

Knowing I'm doing the right thing in the long run

Cons. Mentally seeing my scale # increase really bothers me. I know it's only temporary but it does

Patience isn't my strong suit

I am going to start new rules of lifting for women in a week. This Refeed will help me with this. Going to take measurements and reevaluate after stage 1 which is 8 weeks
  • heybales
    Options
    The fast water weight increase stops after about 2 weeks.

The fat increase from suppressed daily burn slowly speeding up could take 4 weeks or longer, depending on gap between before and after, but usually not that slow.

So be mindful if these are valid day weigh-ins and the weight increase is slow, like 1 lb every 2 wks. Could be TDEE estimate was off.
    It is a guess of activity levels from 5 rough levels, each of which has pretty good range to them.
    And those levels are merely an ease of use thing from the original formula that used hours.
  • FancyPantsFran
    Options
    During this Refeed I have been teaching 3 spin and a spin/ tRX combo class in addition to takeimg an hr. TRX training class n 1 hr kettle ell class. As my workouts. Did see scale go down 1/2 lb.

I know I'm headed in right direction. I'm undoing all of yrs of thinking I had to eat at 1200-1300 cals a day n just do cardio

Love my kettlebell class. I'm going to keep that ad do NROL 4W 2 days a week
    My fall teaching schedule will on be 3 days. Plus I'll bd able to get in a run or 2. Which I love

Slow n steady and I will see progress
  • Kaybean88
    Kaybean88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love this! Almost everyone I know that diets has the mentality of starving themselves to lose weight fast. It's so unsustainable and hard to stick to in the long term. They never believe me when I say eating more is better
  • llamma13
    llamma13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for explaining it so well, its a difficult mental turnaround but i have tried everything else and just put on weight, so i have nothing to lose. Here goes... X
  • jppiehl
    jppiehl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I want to make sure I am doing what I think is correct for me. 3 questions:
    I currently have weighed 200-210 for the last 5 years (weighed as much as 220 before that). I have no idea how many calories I have been eating and I am sedentary but according to the calculator I should be eating TDEE 1979 cal to maintain but I feel like I have been eating a whole lot less than that. So I should track my cal and keep adding calories until I hit the 1979 for a while then change it so I'm eating 15% less cal. then if I start exercising I should eat more to accommodate the lose in cal, right?
    Second I'm not sure how to read MyFitnessPal it says 1,979 as goal, food 740, 307 exercise from my fitbit, so I have 1546 left to eat today? or should I only be eating 1,239 more?
    My goal is to lose 20 lbs or more by Sept. 2016 do you think that would be achievable?