Schwaggggggg

Options

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Not so much Shwagg as "warranty replacement"...

12926998103_05eb28725d_o.jpg

replacement powermeter for the 6750 unit that developed a slightly voracious appetite for 2032 batteries and an aversion to talking via Bluetooth.

They've now begun shipping the 6800 series cranks instead of the 6700 - hey - they're the same colour and still say Ultegra on them, so I'm not grousing - plus, it's sort of "future proofed" my meter a bit - save me having to buy a new-old-stock 6750 chainset if anything untoward happens with the current one.

they don't look too different anyway...

12927436403_232a49d740_o.jpg

Warranty was fairly painless - apart from an initial few days delay on the email answering front, they agreed there was a problem, put a crank directly into production for me that day (rather than waiting for a scheduled build or taking a chance on old build that may have had a similar problem to the first crank) and within 2 working days it was on it's way to the UK distributor, who basically tested it again, packaged it up, emailed me to say it was on it's way and it arrived today (with a note to say send the old crank back once your happy with the new one) - 4 working days from confirmation of warranty - not so bad really.
  • ihadabadidea
    ihadabadidea Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how much stuff you can/need to add to a bike to make it really usable.

After joking with one of my friends about doing an unboxing video for my new bike, I've been posting "unboxing" photos to my FB, trying to be as vague as possible. So far I've posted the following:

An unmarked box (held the saddle that came with the bike)
    A can of hair spray (to attach the new grips)
    "Designed in NC" sticker on the bottom bracket
    Extra parts from the brake kit (he mistook the center bolt for being part of a short shifter kit on a car)
    New headbadge

I've got a long list of parts that have either arrived or will be arriving within the next week:
    Bigger rear cog
    Front brake
    Front and rear lights
    Black reflective tape
    Camelbak Podium bottles
    Plastic bottle cages
    NOS vintage headbadge
    Wald basket and mount
    U lock

I've also added some Hunt-Wilde grips, a Cloud 9 sofa saddle, and a removable front fender from my parts bin, and I'll probably look for a rear rack before too long.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    It's amazing how much stuff you can/need to add to a bike to make it really usable.

It's strange, the day I took delivery of the CaadX I spent best part of a hour removing things from it... Damned stupid wheel reflectors, excess "Health and Safety Stickers", the rust-preventing coating on the disks, excess cable outer and the plastic joke pedals.

And then I started fitting things to it again - the GSC10 sensor, pedal magnet, bottle cages, Out-front Garmin mount and some decent SPD's
  • ihadabadidea
    ihadabadidea Posts: 50 Member
    Options

It's strange, the day I took delivery of the CaadX I spent best part of a hour removing things from it... Damned stupid wheel reflectors, excess "Health and Safety Stickers", the rust-preventing coating on the disks, excess cable outer and the plastic joke pedals.

And then I started fitting things to it again - the GSC10 sensor, pedal magnet, bottle cages, Out-front Garmin mount and some decent SPD's

I know the reflectors are required by law from the manufacturers, but I don't understand why they bother including saddles since they probably won't fit right for 99% of the owners. Pedals are almost as bad.

This bike (a Gran Royale Aristocrat) has one warning sticker with skulls and crossbones running along it: "Riding this bike may cause injury or death." :)
  • slocyclist
    Options
    Picked up a pair of Maxxis Hookworm tires (26 X 2.50) for the new old '93 Trek 970

hookworm24.jpg
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    "Riding this bike may cause injury or death."

Ahhhh.... Good ol' Health and Safety... Where would we be without it?

http://youtu.be/BAnGYfnFz9I
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Well, 2 days off the bike is always dangerous to my Bank Balance...

This week has been no exception.

This morning my Friendly Postman came with a large orange and white box (UK cyclists will understand the reference :wink: containing...

1 pair of Sportful Norain Kneewarmers

1 2013 Castelli Velocissimo 3/4 Bibs (in XXL - the first time in 30 years I've been able to buy Castelli in anything other than XXXL :woot:) that were on sale.... for a fiver more than the DHB own brand, it seemed slightly tight and ridiculous to penny-pinch.

and (somewhat inevitably I guess...)

13123592745_1c70efc689_o.jpg
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Well, 2 days off the bike is always dangerous to my Bank Balance...

This week has been no exception.

This morning my Friendly Postman came with a large orange and white box (UK cyclists will understand the reference :wink: containing...

1 pair of Sportful Norain Kneewarmers

1 2013 Castelli Velocissimo 3/4 Bibs (in XXL - the first time in 30 years I've been able to buy Castelli in anything other than XXXL :woot:) that were on sale.... for a fiver more than the DHB own brand, it seemed slightly tight and ridiculous to penny-pinch.

Ah the 6800 you settled on in the end!! Love new bike gear!!
  • TheBigYin
    Options

Yep, "sprinters compact" - 52/36 - not fitting it just yet though, the chain's up for swapping in a month or so, so i'll do it then - as i'll need an extra couple of links in the chain as well from the current 50/34 job, plus it makes sense to not run a brand new crankset on a nearly knackered (well, okay 2/3 worn) chain.

I'm actually slightly more impressed in getting into a XXL in the Castelli's - that's a Large in non-italian sizings :laugh:
  • Frannybobs
    Options

Yep, "sprinters compact" - 52/36 - not fitting it just yet though, the chain's up for swapping in a month or so, so i'll do it then - as i'll need an extra couple of links in the chain as well from the current 50/34 job, plus it makes sense to not run a brand new crankset on a nearly knackered (well, okay 2/3 worn) chain.

I'm actually slightly more impressed in getting into a XXL in the Castelli's - that's a Large in non-italian sizings :laugh:

Some of the bikes Rob is looking at (around the £3k) mark had the 52/36 I noticed, was trying to explain to him that it would give him more welly at the top end...he's fine for climbing so I can't see him having too much issue with an 11/28 cassette anyway???

You'll be challenging Cloggsy to sprint champion in the Challenges with that bad boy ;-)
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    You'll be challenging Cloggsy to sprint champion in the Challenges with that bad boy ;-)

I run a 53/39 front & 12/28 cassette :wink:
  • cloggsy71
    Options

I knew it would 'cook your noodle' to have a mis-matched crank :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Some of the bikes Rob is looking at (around the £3k) mark had the 52/36 I noticed, was trying to explain to him that it would give him more welly at the top end...he's fine for climbing so I can't see him having too much issue with an 11/28 cassette anyway???

To be honest, it's more the fact that the Dolan is really built for a full-size crankset - the front mech bracket is riveted to the frame in such a location that with a 50/34 the mounting bolt is right at the bottom of the adjustment slot, and really even then the mech is a little higher than the Shimano spec. recommends. Plus, it's only a 4%/6% increase in ratios and I put at least 25% on my personal power output over 2013, so I should be able to push it okay. And, if I do decide to do something silly, climbing wise, it's only a 10 minute job to swap to the compact...
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I knew it would 'cook your noodle' to have a mis-matched crank :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There is that too... :laugh:

Hello, my name is Mark and i'm Bike OCD
  • Frannybobs
    Options

I run a 53/39 front & 12/28 cassette :wink:

:noway: Blimey - quads of steel!!!
  • Frannybobs
    Options

To be honest, it's more the fact that the Dolan is really built for a full-size crankset - the front mech bracket is riveted to the frame in such a location that with a 50/34 the mounting bolt is right at the bottom of the adjustment slot, and really even then the mech is a little higher than the Shimano spec. recommends. Plus, it's only a 4%/6% increase in ratios and I put at least 25% on my personal power output over 2013, so I should be able to push it okay. And, if I do decide to do something silly, climbing wise, it's only a 10 minute job to swap to the compact...

You'll be reet with that increase!
  • cloggsy71
    Options

I wouldn't go that far... I'll just be glad to turn a crank after my enforced sabbatical...

Being 'injured' isn't fun!
  • TheBigYin
    Options

could have been worse - could have said

small_knob_of_butter_on_a_butter_knife_144199.jpg
  • nkovacs1954
    nkovacs1954 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    New grey throwback sweatpants....doesn't matter how much weight I lose....no lycra for this guy
  • slocyclist
    Options
    My new old bike arrived from eBay today. It is pretty much a brand new 1993 Trek 970 Mountain Track; their top of the line mountain bike available at the time. It looks unused, with only a couple of scratches on the chain stay. No wear on the original tires, no wear from the cable guide rubbing on the frame, nothing!

image-M.jpg