Schwaggggggg

Options

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Basically all to do with the fact that I'm a big fat sweaty bloke that's a funny shape. Pretty much every one I've tried (3 incarnations of the garmin, two types of polar strap and even the CycleOps power cal belt) have had the same problems...

they either

Slip out of place an provide inconsistent readings
    Need to be so tight to prevent slipping that they dig in and chafe
    They soak up so much sweat they need to be washed after every ride to keep consistent readings

Overall, the best one I've used is the power cal belt, but as I now have a power meter on the main road bike, I get the "multiple power meters detected" message so I have to mess around selecting manually. I will still persevere with the power cal for the cross bike and the mtb though...

The latest garmin soft belt (the grey v3 one) isn't all that bad, though the top of the sender unit does chafe in the optimum position and is currently covered in a fetching blue sticky plaster to stop it slicing in...

It's really just down to the fact that I'm still really the wrong shape for things intended to be used by endurance athletes, so whatever it is, it's made for someone slimmer and healthier than me... I'm guessing 110kg fifty-something's aren't exactly bang in the middle of Garmins intended product demographic...

Anyhoo - the Mio worked well on yesterday's ride, though given it's location out in all weathers, I'd be interested in how it performs in a typical British summers day.... I.e. 4 hours of pissing rain...
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,240 Member
    Options

Anyhoo - the Mio worked well on yesterday's ride, though given it's location out in all weathers, I'd be interested in how it performs in a typical British summers day.... I.e. 4 hours of pissing rain...

I've worn both my Alpha and the Link in rain and snow and in the shower. They both worked great. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • TheBigYin
    Options

I've worn both my Alpha and the Link in rain and snow and in the shower. They both worked great. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Good to know - now all I need to do is get used to actually charging the damned thing - DC Rainmaker mentioned IIRC that the battery life was around 10 hours - theoretically, that should be good for a few days riding between charges, but I'm always a little on the side of caution on these things, so I'm thinking i'll try and make it a habit of coming in from a ride and sticking it straight on the charging cradle...
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Yep, I red the article on the battery lasting 10 hours but I'm like you. I come back from a ride and put it on the charger. It's never been close to out of battery even on 4 hour rides.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    So I tried to see how many rides I could do without charging my Link. I got 2.5. It lasted about 7 hours. The Alpha lasted about 11 hours but I don't know why since it has the clock display and the Link does not. The dual band transmission of the Link with Bluetooth and ANT+ must require more power.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I tried a little experiment myself - went for the typical longer sunday ride, band was probably on transmit for 4.5hours. Next Day, another 2 hours and a hour or so of walking. Switched on the following day and it was showing yellow on the battery indicator... So, I'm going to call it 8 hours maximum - but actually give it a recharge as I get in daily. You'll notice that I actually didn't risk losing any RIDE data, choosing to take it for a walk instead :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    New lid time...

14555768339_ce4b408767.jpg

14555726850_f6cc4fdbc3.jpg

Kask Mojito... lovely lid - fits really well, and doesn't have the "mushroomey" look that some lids have (not massive overhangs everywhere) - retention system works well, and its got a nice white "faux-leather" chinstrap instead of the usual nylon tape. The most noticeable thing though, compared to a 2 year old Specialized Propero II is the degree of cooling - there's a positive wind blowing through the vents rather than a gentle waft... really nice in the summer - though I'm guessing it's ice-cream headache time in the winter without a good microfleece beanie...

Really must get the Yorkshire Rose on my next set of Name Tags though...
  • canuck9
    canuck9 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Smartphone Holder...so that I can use my GPS in-ride.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    th?&id=HN.607999582148691375&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0
    Fizik Cyrano R1 to FINALLY complete my '86 cdale.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    New jerseys - fat lad at back
    My yellow and lantern rouge

D9AA76A3-7315-4873-B417-0874B7CF0510_zpsproo8vrt-1.jpg
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Power2Max Power Meter w/ 165 cranks and Qrings

c94798b5b5e53dfb9c9a1d55e94a65fa98ee.jpg

Rudy Project Wing57
    th?&id=HN.608007068279963963&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    New lid time...

Kask Mojito... lovely lid - fits really well, and doesn't have the "mushroomey" look that some lids have (not massive overhangs everywhere) - retention system works well, and its got a nice white "faux-leather" chinstrap instead of the usual nylon tape. The most noticeable thing though, compared to a 2 year old Specialized Propero II is the degree of cooling - there's a positive wind blowing through the vents rather than a gentle waft... really nice in the summer - though I'm guessing it's ice-cream headache time in the winter without a good microfleece beanie...

Nice lid :) I am still on the hunt for one which fits nicely and doesn't make me look like a mushroom top. The Tinkoff Saxo team helmets were of this kind, mushroom city, and luminous yellow. Think I'll avoid them!
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    New jerseys - fat lad at back
    My yellow and lantern rouge

D9AA76A3-7315-4873-B417-0874B7CF0510_zpsproo8vrt-1.jpg

Love those tops - although I'm sure you're not the "FAT LAD AT THE BACK" in reality!!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Nice lid :) I am still on the hunt for one which fits nicely and doesn't make me look like a mushroom top. The Tinkoff Saxo team helmets were of this kind, mushroom city, and luminous yellow. Think I'll avoid them!

The Tinky Saxoff ones are Specializeds, which are pretty much what I have as my "second string lid" (the posh one, that's now been demoted to 'cross or MTB use) and it's the whole "overhang" at the back of the head that just makes them look MAHOOSIVE
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    New lid time...

Looks sharp. Did you put the name on there? That's kind of cool. I like it. :smile: :smile:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    They're the same name tags that I have on my bikes... Bought a pack of 40 iirc, half black lettering, half white, so they'd pretty much work on any colour bike I owned...
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    They're the same name tags that I have on my bikes... Bought a pack of 40 iirc, half black lettering, half white, so they'd pretty much work on any colour bike I owned...

8348627239_39ae4e0b7c_m.jpg10979676406_01aafbc849_m.jpg10977074194_81fc8ca06b_m.jpg

bought them here - http://flandriabikes.com/ (probably of more interest to the UK people tbh... not sure if they necessarily ship worldwide)
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

8348627239_39ae4e0b7c_m.jpg10979676406_01aafbc849_m.jpg10977074194_81fc8ca06b_m.jpg

bought them here - http://flandriabikes.com/ (probably of more interest to the UK people tbh... not sure if they necessarily ship worldwide)

They're sold in the States somewhere because I have a buddy that names his bikes and gets "name tags".
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I'm sure that there are loads of places that sell them - a quick look on fleabay found me something like a dozen different sources, but I've got enough to keep me going at my current rate of consumption until I've forgotten what my name is anyway...
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    CX is coming... :bigsmile:

B60BFA13-0D1A-4945-8574-15C005683456_zps0nq92aet.jpg~original