Schwaggggggg

Options

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    46EEE and they fit? I'll have to look into that. I'm a 43EE and I have a hard time with most pairs of SIDI shoes since they tend to be narrow. My current Giro shoes are wider but the vent in these would be really nice.

The Mega Range (there's the Sidi Genuis 5's and Dominator MTB one's as well as the ultra-flash 6.6 vents) are MUCH MUCH Wider than the normal range - I vaguely remember an article where one of their designers described them as being made on a proportional last that was "as wide as the normal model 3 sizes longer" - so a 45 mega is as wide as a 48 normal, but still 45 in length...

Have to say, my Genius 5's fit wonderfully in a 45, and even on wider-lasted shoes like the Specialized and Giro I needed to go to 46/47 to get the width (and then had heel-lifting issues as they were basically too big!)
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    ^ Yep just as Mark says, look for the Mega range of shoes from Sidi, they are specifically designed for people with wide feet. They are wider than anything I've tried from Spec, Giro et al.

Also they have a lot of adjustability at the straps which is another problem I've found with some shoes. Last but not least, they have a nifty cinching feature at the heel which helps keep the heel locked in on the upstroke.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I missed this announcement - how you getting on with it, Cloggsy? My Garmin Edge 800 was one of the best investments I ever made - but of course I want the 810 now - for no reason whatsoever except I'm a gadget geek and it has one or two little extra features, haha!
    Really great Fran'; much better that relying on the iPhone for everything! Not had any 'drop-outs' yet :laugh:
    I was just surprised he got the blue cover rather than the Yellow to match the Boardmans Stickers / His Eyes... :laugh:
    In hindsight I should've bought the white cover a'la 'Yin's...

Are you saying I have Jaundice?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Just eyes like alpine lavatories mate...
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Soooooooooooooo....I got a new bike on Saturday :-) It's my new commuting bike, the road bike now for decent weekend rides and turbo trainer in the winter...commute just too stop/start and rough surfaces for the poor thing - needed something a bit sturdier with better brakes and bigger tyres & mudguards.

Bring on the new Whyte Devon 2015, a women's specific (all the men's cross bikes were way too big for me, even in small size) "fast commuter" bike. Felt weird ordering and buying a bike I hadn't seen in the flesh, but it looked to be just what I was looking for, particularly the hydraulic disk brakes, all on the Cyclescheme budget, compromise being Shimano Sora groupset which so far I have found to be perfectly fine.

So...here it is! I think the saddle may need to go, but gonna give it a few rides see if my bum adjusts to it :laugh:

5d0ec082-6dfe-4229-b6f8-5a9398950eb5_zpsf2331b44.jpg

There are some lovely subtle flashes of purple (which just happens to be my favourite colour)!!

5898c0f5-d4d6-422e-830d-bd54bb05ef52_zps5daf9b46.jpg

b388c666-ca01-43e7-9bed-2628a61b73a0_zps6f75bf27.jpg

894fface-0c22-4ef3-bbea-a8b1437ad8ee_zpsfeba7aad.jpg

I've now swapped the pedals for SPD's and got new MTB commuting shoes too!

Initial rides are positive - definitely a little heavier than the road bike (Giant Avail 1) but I don't want to break world records, I just want to get to and from work safely and happily, which was the remit for this bike. First impressions are that it fits that remit perfectly, and puts a big smile on my face :happy:
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Soooooooooooooo....I got a new bike on Saturday :-) It's my new commuting bike, the road bike now for decent weekend rides and turbo trainer in the winter...commute just too stop/start and rough surfaces for the poor thing - needed something a bit sturdier with better brakes and bigger tyres & mudguards.

Bring on the new Whyte Devon 2015, a women's specific (all the men's cross bikes were way too big for me, even in small size) "fast commuter" bike. Felt weird ordering and buying a bike I hadn't seen in the flesh, but it looked to be just what I was looking for, particularly the hydraulic disk brakes, all on the Cyclescheme budget, compromise being Shimano Sora groupset which so far I have found to be perfectly fine.

So...here it is! I think the saddle may need to go, but gonna give it a few rides see if my bum adjusts to it :laugh:

5d0ec082-6dfe-4229-b6f8-5a9398950eb5_zpsf2331b44.jpg

There are some lovely subtle flashes of purple (which just happens to be my favourite colour)!!

5898c0f5-d4d6-422e-830d-bd54bb05ef52_zps5daf9b46.jpg

b388c666-ca01-43e7-9bed-2628a61b73a0_zps6f75bf27.jpg

894fface-0c22-4ef3-bbea-a8b1437ad8ee_zpsfeba7aad.jpg

I've now swapped the pedals for SPD's and got new MTB commuting shoes too!

Initial rides are positive - definitely a little heavier than the road bike (Giant Avail 1) but I don't want to break world records, I just want to get to and from work safely and happily, which was the remit for this bike. First impressions are that it fits that remit perfectly, and puts a big smile on my face :happy:

Very nice Fran', just strip those reflectors off it (weight-saving :wink: :laugh: ) and get the SPD peddles on & you'll be laughing!
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Get y'self to a LBS & get your sit-bones measured. Buy a saddle which actually 'fits' you; your bum will thank you for it, I promise! :blushing:
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Get y'self to a LBS & get your sit-bones measured. Buy a saddle which actually 'fits' you; your bum will thank you for it, I promise! :blushing:

That's a good call - will have to find somewhere that does that! I loved my saddle on the Giant Avail so might see if I can get that in black...

Oh and yeah the pedals were changed over very shortly after this pic was taken, and got my new commuter shoes, forgot to take a pic of those! Much better with recessed cleats for the commute! Happy feet :laugh:
  • Frannybobs
    Options

Very nice Fran', just strip those reflectors off it (weight-saving :wink: :laugh: ) and get the SPD peddles on & you'll be laughing!

Hahaha, wasn't sure if legally you had to have reflectors at front and rear - didn't check what my road bike has...but the front one is gonna have to move anyway for me to put the light on!
  • TheBigYin
    Options

Hahaha, wasn't sure if legally you had to have reflectors at front and rear - didn't check what my road bike has...but the front one is gonna have to move anyway for me to put the light on!

They have to have reflectors on when they SELL the bike Fran, if it's sold as a complete bike... but it's not compulsory to have them fitted. You're actually much better off with a small blinky led front and rear than a reflector anyway, and they're lighter, smaller and less fugly...

otherwise, the bikes a cracker...
  • Frannybobs
    Options

They have to have reflectors on when they SELL the bike Fran, if it's sold as a complete bike... but it's not compulsory to have them fitted. You're actually much better off with a small blinky led front and rear than a reflector anyway, and they're lighter, smaller and less fugly...

otherwise, the bikes a cracker...

Brill - off they come then!!! And thanks, I think it's a cracker too.

One question...I don't really get gear ratios, both this bike and the Giant have 50/34, but on the back the Giant has 12-30 and the Whyte has 11-32. Does that make it a bit easier on the hills or faster on the flat - I thought it was the smaller number at the front (34) against the higher number at the back (32) and the lower the ratio is the lower the gear and slightly easier uphill but I may have it a*se about face?!?
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Yes Fran', the gearing is slightly lower on the Whyte than the Giant; when in the 34 (front) & 32 (back), this will be 'easier' than climbing on the Giant in 34/30. However, on the 50 front & 11 rear, the Whyte should be quicker. Although, with the additional weight they'll be about the same...

Does this make sense?
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Yes Fran', the gearing is slightly lower on the Whyte than the Giant; when in the 34 (front) & 32 (back), this will be 'easier' than climbing on the Giant in 34/30. However, on the 50 front & 11 rear, the Whyte should be quicker. Although, with the additional weight they'll be about the same...

Does this make sense?

Perfect sense - thanks - and you're right, the weight difference will probably cancel that out, now if I can just scrub 3 stone off my weight, I'll be dancing up the hills like Quintana ;-) (although hopefully stay upright!)
  • veloman21
    Options
    Lovely bike Fran, congrats!! If you live in a hilly area or carry a backpack for work, you'll probably be very happy with the 32 cog. Definitely get your sit bones measured but most of all try a number of different saddles. Most good bike shops will have demo units for you to try or offer a 30 day free swap. I recently went through 5 different saddles before I found the right one for me. It can be a pain (literally) but pays off in the end:smile:

Also not sure how far/often you will be riding it but seeing as you bought it sight unseen, you might think about getting a proper fitting done?

Most of all, enjoy!!!
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Lovely bike Fran, congrats!! If you live in a hilly area or carry a backpack for work, you'll probably be very happy with the 32 cog. Definitely get your sit bones measured but most of all try a number of different saddles. Most good bike shops will have demo units for you to try or offer a 30 day free swap. I recently went through 5 different saddles before I found the right one for me. It can be a pain (literally) but pays off in the end:smile:

Also not sure how far/often you will be riding it but seeing as you bought it sight unseen, you might think about getting a proper fitting done?

Most of all, enjoy!!!

Cheers Veloman! I followed your quest for the perfect saddle with interest - need to find a bike shop locally then where they'll let you try out saddles.

Yes, definitely going to get a fitting, for both bikes (before I condemn the road bike to the turbo trainer for the winter!) and my OH wants his bike fitting too. The Physio Clinic a couple of miles down the road do one which looks really good (video analysis etc) - similar to the one they do at Manchester Velodrome, but a little cheaper. My colleague went and had a bike fit there and said it was really good. It'll do for my purposes I think as I don't plan on racing, so comfort and no injury is my main aim from it!
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Cheers Veloman! I followed your quest for the perfect saddle with interest - need to find a bike shop locally then where they'll let you try out saddles.
    Most good LBS's will offer saddles on a trial basis; 30 days to try it out & if it isn't for you, return it with the original packaging & swap it for something different... My LBS's is 60 days!

I've still got a hankering for an Adamo saddle, or at least a trial to see what they're like... Although I am very happy with my Bontrager Affinity RL!
  • veloman21
    Options

Yes, definitely going to get a fitting, for both bikes (before I condemn the road bike to the turbo trainer for the winter!) and my OH wants his bike fitting too. The Physio Clinic a couple of miles down the road do one which looks really good (video analysis etc) - similar to the one they do at Manchester Velodrome, but a little cheaper. My colleague went and had a bike fit there and said it was really good. It'll do for my purposes I think as I don't plan on racing, so comfort and no injury is my main aim from it!

Fran, the fitting should start off with an interview to find out your cycling goals as well as checking flexibility etc. If you're commuting take your commuting clothes with you and also if you're going to wear a backpack, take and wear that too. A good fitter will take all that into account to find the best position on the bike for you and should have you come back for a follow up fitting check a few weeks later.

Clive, I have an Adamo road saddle on my Trek and do like it for time trial or rides with extended time in the drops. It allows me to comfortably achieve an aggressive riding position without the numbness I experienced with a traditional saddle. It's not ideal for long rides though.
  • GrindGravel
    GrindGravel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My new wheels arrived! Price and weight were right, and now can train with power as well.

M7Z9w3Hl.jpg
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    My new wheels arrived! Price and weight were right, and now can train with power as well.

M7Z9w3Hl.jpg

Clinchers or tubs?
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Couple of new threads-

10684344_863119970379985_102044765_n_zps1ea8c967.jpg~original