Schwaggggggg

Options

Replies

• Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Cobblers. :smile:

I've got the Road Drive (the slightly longer/heavier version) on the Dolan. I take a couple of CO2 canisters with me, but the margin for error is minimal, you've 2 goes and that's it. I've nobody at home that I can call for a lift if it all goes tit's up - I could be looking at a 50 mile taxi ride at worst.

Plus, it's always handy to have a pump to hand in case you need to help someone else out.

Nope, I'm not down with the Velominati on this one.

LOL, amen brother Mark :smile:

I've actually had both of these scenarios happen to me. It might seem a bit Fred at first but when you're stranded in Deliverance country, 50 miles from home, you'll be happy to have one. And for the Velominati purist, the Road drive is small enough to put in your back pocket :smile:

Deliverance country?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :laugh: That's pretty much where I live. When I get out into the sticks, there's not much around, less to walk up to and ask for help (signs that say "tresspassers will be shot, survivors shot again".) Only rules I live by with the Velominati are #5 and #9...everything else is superfluous.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Evo Spacebar and Annex Quad Lock for my phone (with IpBike)
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    A new workstand. I used to have a really nice Cinelli one, but I stupidly got rid of it. You can't work on a bike properly if you don't have a workstand, and I am building up a new bike for spring....
  • cdoesthehula
    Options
    Web browsing is dangerous!

Planet X are doing Avid Shorty 4 canti brakes (front and rear) for £15. They used to cost that wholesale. Retail was about £40 per wheel, IIRC.

Fashion has gone away from low profile cantis, but these work as well as any canti brake will and they're easy to fine tune. I'm having a pair for when my Altus cantis want replacing (they're fine now, but the plastic bits always disintegrate).
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Deliverance country?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :laugh: That's pretty much where I live. When I get out into the sticks, there's not much around, less to walk up to and ask for help (signs that say "tresspassers will be shot, survivors shot again".) Only rules I live by with the Velominati are #5 and #9...everything else is superfluous.

Yep, complete with banjo music, rebel flags and frequent gunshots :smile:

An of course the obligatory welcome signs like this one I have to pass every day. At first I thought he was trying to be punnie but no, he's just an illiterate *kitten*. Actually I find it quite offensive.

15144472867_caf8472765_z.jpg
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Cranks and a pile of cockpit parts to go on the new Ridley X-Fire 'cross frameset. Hopefully the bike will get built up this weekend. Can't wait!

20140923_202617.jpg
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,172 Member
    Options
    Got a bluetooth cadence and speed sensor. However, sadly most of the droid apps only use Ant+ for cadence and speed sensors. Now I need to decide if I will keep it hoping with Android 4.3+ the app manufacturers add the Bluetooth LE cadence and speed sensors, or just send it back.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Got a bluetooth cadence and speed sensor. However, sadly most of the droid apps only use Ant+ for cadence and speed sensors. Now I need to decide if I will keep it hoping with Android 4.3+ the app manufacturers add the Bluetooth LE cadence and speed sensors, or just send it back.

Pretty Sure Strava 4.2 (latest version) for Android works with BT 4.0/LE Heart rate, Power Meters AND Cadence Sensors.
  • rileysowner
    Options

Pretty Sure Strava 4.2 (latest version) for Android works with BT 4.0/LE Heart rate, Power Meters AND Cadence Sensors.

For some reason Strava seems really laggy on my octacore droid so I got really frustrated with it. Topeak works with it though so running two apps I can at least keep an eye on cadence. I might give Strava another try, but for now I am hoping Endomondo will incorporate bluetooth LE cadence/speed sensors and the like it rather than just Ant+ on the droid.
  • rileysowner
    Options

For some reason Strava seems really laggy on my octacore droid so I got really frustrated with it. Topeak works with it though so running two apps I can at least keep an eye on cadence. I might give Strava another try, but for now I am hoping Endomondo will incorporate bluetooth LE cadence/speed sensors and the like it rather than just Ant+ on the droid.

Did some research at the Strava site and the latest Droid version only supports bluetooth LE HRM. The other sensors are not yet enabled except in a beta version.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Well it looks like I'm going to have to spend some £££'s - dropped my riding glasses as I got home today - they're a pair of old Bolle Edges with the prescription glazed insert fitted. Unfortunately, the Prescription insert frame snapped, and the lens cracked from side to side. I can't get on with contacts, and the Bolle's are out of production (and are pretty much ready for replacement anyway - 5 years of MTB mud and Road grit have taken their toll on the protective glass anyway) so it's looking like a whole new pair of glasses. I'll try and get into the opticians on Tuesday for a eye-test (again, I'm about due for one anyway) and get something sorted.

USEFUL TIP: Visit Wal-Mart Vision Center. I bought a pair of Biker wraparound glasses with polarized Zeiss safety lenses according to my prescription. Total cost was $105 plus tax. That was such a good deal, I went back to Wal-Mart for a second pair and bought that same frame but added clear anti-glare coated safety lenses for riding at night ($125). Even my wife likes the looks of these glasses. So much so, she asked me to buy her a pair of these sunglasses with her prescription.... and she doesn't even ride a bike. lol
  • TheBigYin
    Options

Did some research at the Strava site and the latest Droid version only supports bluetooth LE HRM. The other sensors are not yet enabled except in a beta version.

Strange, because it works just fine with my stages Powermeter... This is 4.20 which was released on the 19th of this month iirc
  • rileysowner
    Options

Strange, because it works just fine with my stages Powermeter... This is 4.20 which was released on the 19th of this month iirc

Just checked and the Strava on Playstore that I get is 4.1.8 IIRC. I left it installed and hopefully the 4.2 upgrade will come very soon. If it was released on the 19th, it should show up in the next day or so.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    yeah - 4.2 was a bit of a upgrade... fixed the Blootooth (frankly, 4.1.8 never got outside the doorway without crashing on my Sony when I added a BT sensor - fortunately, I actually log the rides with my Garmin, but it's always nice to know that if I forget to charge it, the phone will work for shorter rides) and also added auto-pause to the ride logging, so no more having to manually pause (then forget to restart) when you call for a coffee mid-ride.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    yeah - 4.2 was a bit of a upgrade... fixed the Blootooth (frankly, 4.1.8 never got outside the doorway without crashing on my Sony when I added a BT sensor - fortunately, I actually log the rides with my Garmin, but it's always nice to know that if I forget to charge it, the phone will work for shorter rides) and also added auto-pause to the ride logging, so no more having to manually pause (then forget to restart) when you call for a coffee mid-ride.

Hopefully it shows up in the playstore for me soon. I can identify with the manual pausing and forgetting to restart. I have done that a number of times in the past, thus I love the auto-pause feature most of the apps have.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I've ordered a set of these: http://tinyurl.com/knpnxla

They're on the 'BikeRadar 'Deals of the Week': http://www.bikeradar.com/road/deals-of-the-week/

cateye-nima-front-rear-led-light-set.jpg

Dunno how good they are, but for £11, thought I'd 'take a punt'... They'll do for 'marker' lights if nothing else...

Guess I'll see how good they are/aren't when they arrive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ0YlzWvPi0&feature=youtu.be&t=1m10s
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Got a pair of Vittoria Cross XG Pro TNT tubeless ready tyres on the delivery van at the moment...

They're a "Mixed Surface" cyclocross tubeless ready clincher which I'm initially likely to run as tubed (until i'm 100% happy that the spoke breaking problem has been cured by my wheel-rebuild - i.e. it was the Cannondales Stock Cheese-Spokes at fault, rather than the hubs/rims causing the problem) because the rim's aren't tubeless as standard, it'd have to be a Stans Rimtape Job, and as the spokes were breaking at the end of the threaded bit/nipple interface, the only way to replace spokes is pulling the rimtape each time...

Still, even with tubes fitted, they have to be better than the stock "Sammy Slicks" with the Steel Beads. That tyre/tube combo weighs pretty much the same as the Ultegra Front Wheel on the Dolan. Make no wonder the CaadX is a bit more work to wind up the speed on.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    cateye-nima-front-rear-led-light-set.jpg
    Well, they've arrived and they don't look half bad... Great marker lights at least; the eccentric flash mode (i.e. non-regular) very much draws your attention to the lights...

They're really lightweight, but substantially built!

It'd be interesting to see how long the 2 x 2032 cells last though...
  • cdoesthehula
    Options
    They're a "Mixed Surface" cyclocross tubeless ready clincher which I'm initially likely to run as tubed (until i'm 100% happy that the spoke breaking problem has been cured by my wheel-rebuild - i.e. it was the Cannondales Stock Cheese-Spokes at fault...

It's never the spokes themselves. Breaking spokes are almost always the sign of a badly made wheel.

So long as your rebuilt wheel was properly stress-relieved all will be well.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    They're a "Mixed Surface" cyclocross tubeless ready clincher which I'm initially likely to run as tubed (until i'm 100% happy that the spoke breaking problem has been cured by my wheel-rebuild - i.e. it was the Cannondales Stock Cheese-Spokes at fault...

It's never the spokes themselves. Breaking spokes are almost always the sign of a badly made wheel.

So long as your rebuilt wheel was properly stress-relieved all will be well.

It's okay - i've been building wheels for over 30 years now, I THINK i've pretty much got the hang of it.

FWIW, the stock spokes WERE total crap and (probably more to the point) dry-assembled on a machine - 5 spokes actually snapped when I began dissembling the wheel - I know I could have just snipped the existing spokes, but for once I simply removed them, and as I wound them out, 5 of the buggers STILL snapped. There's a reason that Sapim and DT Swiss spokes command a bit of a premium over the typical chinese monkey-metal stuff...