May Progress

Options

Replies

• Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Are most people here posting in lb or kgs? I am assuming lb.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Yes, lbs.

Today's workout:

Squat: 110
    BPress: 80x5x3, 80x4x2 - Retry next week
    DL: 150

I ordered the 3rd edition of Starting Strength on my Kindle app last night. Boy, each edition gets better and better. He has added considerably to the details on performing the squat...revising some of the cueing. I read it this afternoon and it helped me tremendously in my workout tonight. I've been working off the first and second editions not even realizing a third had come out. There is just no better instruction on these lifts anywhere...so much better than trying to learn from a video.

Silly me when I first loaded up the barbell for my first work set of 110 lbs. I was very disappointed that I had to give up after 2 reps and stripped the weight back to 105. Even that felt heavier than when I did it on Monday. I couldn't understand why I was so weak. As I was getting ready to do my 4th set, I noticed that I had miss added the plates. I had originaaly started at 115 and had actually stripped down to 110, which is what I wanted in the first place! Duh.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Yes, lbs.

Today's workout:

Squat: 110
    BPress: 80x5x3, 80x4x2 - Retry next week
    DL: 150

I ordered the 3rd edition of Starting Strength on my Kindle app last night. Boy, each edition gets better and better. He has added considerably to the details on performing the squat...revising some of the cueing. I read it this afternoon and it helped me tremendously in my workout tonight. I've been working off the first and second editions not even realizing a third had come out. There is just no better instruction on these lifts anywhere...so much better than trying to learn from a video.

Silly me when I first loaded up the barbell for my first work set of 110 lbs. I was very disappointed that I had to give up after 2 reps and stripped the weight back to 105. Even that felt heavier than when I did it on Monday. I couldn't understand why I was so weak. As I was getting ready to do my 4th set, I noticed that I had miss added the plates. I had originaaly started at 115 and had actually stripped down to 110, which is what I wanted in the first place! Duh.

I'm going to download that, haven't read it...I'm queen of counting wrong on the plates, or forgetting to load on one side so when I go to lift the bar of the rack it dives on one end! Rock star. :laugh:
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Question for you ladies:

I was reading everyones responses when I had asked about losing weight, and it seems like the majority has maintained weight and not lost inches since starting this program. I need to lose 15 pounds that I have slowly gained the past year. Maybe this isnt the program for me? I certainly dont intend on continuing if I dont start losing. I have been at this program for almost a month. I will be weighing in sat. so I can assess progress. As of last week I had gained 2 pounds and so this week I cut back more on calories. Thoughts??

ALso, how do you know when you fail a squat. I did 120 pounds today and the last couple reps I almost couldnt stand up, so then what?? Drop the weight off my shoulders??? Thanks!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

ALso, how do you know when you fail a squat. I did 120 pounds today and the last couple reps I almost couldnt stand up, so then what?? Drop the weight off my shoulders??? Thanks!

When you feel you are close to failure (like you said you almost couldn't stand up, that's close), then you NEED to be squatting with a spotter nearby or with safety catches. Most squat racks/stands have safety catches or you could make one by squatting between 2 sawhorses or something that is low enough that you end your squat JUST above it when hitting parallel, that way if you CAN'T get back up, you just go down another inch or so and let it rest there and climb out from under it safely. With the weight you are using, please don't attempt your next workout with something/someone there to catch you should you fail, that's asking for all kinds of possible injury!:flowerforyou:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I'm out for a while :(
    I sneezed wrong and now have an intercostal strain. My shoulder has also been sore... soooo. Just small metcons in my yard.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options

When you feel you are close to failure (like you said you almost couldn't stand up, that's close), then you NEED to be squatting with a spotter nearby or with safety catches. Most squat racks/stands have safety catches or you could make one by squatting between 2 sawhorses or something that is low enough that you end your squat JUST above it when hitting parallel, that way if you CAN'T get back up, you just go down another inch or so and let it rest there and climb out from under it safely. With the weight you are using, please don't attempt your next workout with something/someone there to catch you should you fail, that's asking for all kinds of possible injury!:flowerforyou:

I was wondering the same thing because I can see that I'm starting to not get as low as I used to with the increase because I'm nervous I won't be able to get back up! No spotter pretty much sucks.
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    Yes^^^ I have no spotter so I will have to figure out the safety thinggee. I saw something like a long thing metal thing in the rack today actually , but it doesnt seem like it could support that much weight, but that must be it.....
    Thanks again!

xfitmojo: oh no! feel better!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Question for you ladies:

I was reading everyones responses when I had asked about losing weight, and it seems like the majority has maintained weight and not lost inches since starting this program. I need to lose 15 pounds that I have slowly gained the past year. Maybe this isnt the program for me? I certainly dont intend on continuing if I dont start losing. I have been at this program for almost a month. I will be weighing in sat. so I can assess progress. As of last week I had gained 2 pounds and so this week I cut back more on calories. Thoughts??
    Yea, I shot up about 8 lbs when I first started, and that hasn't budged. I have a lot more I need to lose, too. But I love this lifting *kitten* too much to stop. What I've done is quit the scale for a while. I'm going to focus on measurements (which really haven't changed either, YET!) and how I think I look in the mirror. And I'm looking pretty good, if I do say so myself...

Of course, the decision is up to you. But I'd suggest giving the program the full 12 weeks and then decide if you don't like the results.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Yes^^^ I have no spotter so I will have to figure out the safety thinggee. I saw something like a long thing metal thing in the rack today actually , but it doesnt seem like it could support that much weight, but that must be it.....
    Thanks again!

xfitmojo: oh no! feel better!

Yeah those long metal bars that sit parallel in the rack, you just set those up right below where you are at your 'low' point, then if you fail you just ...sit down basically, or fall forward onto your hands, the bars will catch your barbell and you just crawl out from under it (careful cuz it can roll so if you aren't paying attention you can bang your head into it. I don't speak from experience or anything here....)

Also - I know you're pretty frustrated with your weight but I think you should give this time. I mean, hey, what else do you have on the table even? And there's no feeling like breaking past a heavy (for you) weight on some exercise. The thing I love about this is that I can always see the improvement - maybe I struggle with a particular weight for a while but I CAN make it past that weight (as opposed to losing weight which is not really always up to me)
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Yay, I'm backin the game! I had some nasty tendonitis in my shoulder. It had been hurting for about the last year, then one day after lifting I couldn't even lift my arm. It has been 27 days and I'm far too antsy to wait the last 3, as a month off was reccomended. I'm in a good mood and have to do it :p

Unfortunatly, it won't be very fun. I've kept up with squats once I could get my arm back up, so I'll keep that weight, but I'm going to have to drop everything else quite significantly to keep from over working it. Even the DLs as they created quite a painful pull. Probably just the bar on OHP and not much more for bench and row.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's was
    Squat: 95
    Bench: 70
    Rows: 65

I can't wait to be able to do the rows with at least 25 on each side...easier to put it down! :laugh:
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I'm new here and started 5x5 this week. I'm doing the stronglifts minimalist program as I don't have all of the equipment for the regular 5x5. I was SO happy to find that option though because I can't spare the money right now and enjoy working out at home. I'm glad this group is here...I know that I will definitely be in here often.

I just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone considering lifting...I have slept better this week than I have in probably years. I know that's not a huge deal to some but it was HUGE for me.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options
    I just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone considering lifting...I have slept better this week than I have in probably years. I know that's not a huge deal to some but it was HUGE for me.

Welcome! Sleep was a huge plus for me as well when I started. Love me some sleep! :flowerforyou:
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options

I have a good friend who has had pretty serious sleeping issues and was taking sleeping aids. Since I got her started lifting, she has stopped the sleep aids and has no trouble getting to sleep. She was amazed that a little lifting would make such a huge difference.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options
    I'm out for a while :(
    I sneezed wrong and now have an intercostal strain. My shoulder has also been sore... soooo. Just small metcons in my yard.

That right there would just piss me off. Sorry girl and feel better!
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    Yesterdays results:

squat 115
    bench 70
    rows70 or 75 I forget.

I deloaded the rows because I thought it was bothering my lower back, but now I am not thinking so, so I will continue to go up.

Thanks for all the tips for the squats. I will use the bar thingee to catch the barbell if I need to. I definately notice I am not going as low as I was because of the weight, so is this considered a fail??
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options

Thanks for all the tips for the squats. I will use the bar thingee to catch the barbell if I need to. I definately notice I am not going as low as I was because of the weight, so is this considered a fail??

Good question on the fail...I seem to not be getting as low and I'm in the same place (115).

Today I had ZERO FAILS! :drinker: First since I've been back into my regular routine, so felt pretty damn good:

Squats 115
    Bench 60
    Rows 85

Everyone have a great weekend!
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I haven't considered it a fail unless I don't go past parallel. I do focus on getting atg on my warmups now. I found that I can get atg with slightly higher weights.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Its not failure unless you can't go to parallel (slightly below to make sure you're doing it) -- but actually what SHOULD happen is you go past parallel and hten kind of fall down on your butt because you can't push back hard enough against the weight there

So, I went back last night and yep, I for sure lost some weight progress, so I'm building back up. its not too much progress, I should be back to my previous work weights in no time.

I had to deload my deadlift a bit too - went back down to 145, which is a touch disappointing because I should have been doing 165 (which would be Deadlifting my bodyweight) but hey, I should be back at that soon.