May Progress

Options

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Its not failure unless you can't go to parallel (slightly below to make sure you're doing it) -- but actually what SHOULD happen is you go past parallel and hten kind of fall down on your butt because you can't push back hard enough against the weight there

I've never fallen down on my butt, I just can't push back up and need to have my spotter help me. I always try to go to parallel, but no, you shouldn't count it as a rep if you can't. I'd suggest deloading a bit and starting back at a lower weight and parallel.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Its not failure unless you can't go to parallel (slightly below to make sure you're doing it) -- but actually what SHOULD happen is you go past parallel and hten kind of fall down on your butt because you can't push back hard enough against the weight there

I've never fallen down on my butt, I just can't push back up and need to have my spotter help me. I always try to go to parallel, but no, you shouldn't count it as a rep if you can't. I'd suggest deloading a bit and starting back at a lower weight and parallel.

Good info...I get parallel, find I'm sticking my butt back a little more to get lower, but not to the point where I'm feeling loss of control...form feels good, so I just have to nix that feeling "what if I can't get back up" and just fail if I need to as I get heavier. I just feel the fail coming! Not a great feeling since no spotter! And I checked the rack for that safety bar in above discussion and the rack at my gym doesn't have that. Meh.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies!!

@Doreen: i wasnt sure my gym had them either, except for the other day when I was there I saw them for the first time and wondered what the heck they were meant for, then after everyone started talking about it I figured it out!!! That stinks for you though!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Good info...I get parallel, find I'm sticking my butt back a little more to get lower, but not to the point where I'm feeling loss of control...form feels good, so I just have to nix that feeling "what if I can't get back up" and just fail if I need to as I get heavier. I just feel the fail coming! Not a great feeling since no spotter! And I checked the rack for that safety bar in above discussion and the rack at my gym doesn't have that. Meh.

It should have some kind of safety. Can you find a picture of the rack?
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options
    Thanks ladies!!

@Doreen: i wasnt sure my gym had them either, except for the other day when I was there I saw them for the first time and wondered what the heck they were meant for, then after everyone started talking about it I figured it out!!! That stinks for you though!!

I'm thinking of yet another gym change! I have a crossfit gym nearby, but it's so overpriced. Another meh! lmao...okay, I'll stop b****ing now!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Today- Squats 5x5 #90, OHL's 5x5 #45, Deadlifts 1x5 #145

I've circled the safety bar in red:

squatrack.jpg

Some don't have it or they're fixed. Sucks when that happens :grumble:
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    With all this talk of failing at the squat, I wanted to share my experience and why I would never rely on a spotter. Failing is not always going to be just a matter of "I can't get up". It can happen in a instant and without warning. Several years ago I was recording my 1RM for the three lifts--squat, bench press and deadlift--for a fitness challenge at Precision Nutrition. I was in a power rack with my safety bars set and I had worked up to 155 lbs. I added five lbs for my next 1RM attempt, made it down to parallel, and had begun my ascent. At no time did I feel "Oh, no, I'm stuck...I can't get up." Instead, without warning, but body simply said 'no dice' and instantly I folded forward and downward, and the bar crashed onto the bars in front of me. It was pretty scary, although the safety bars did their job and I was fine. I just hadn't anticipated that as the definition of a failed squat. I'm pretty sure a spotter wouldn't have a chance to do anything, not without risking injury. So my advice is to always use a rack with safety bars and check to make sure they are set so there is the smallest possible distance between the safety bars and your barbell at the bottom.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Today was day 3,day 2 of squat,press,deadlift. I managed
    27kg squat
    22.5kg shoulder
    35 deadlift (tried 30 and 40 in first sesh,30 was ok,40 was too heavy,so dropped to 35 and will build up to 40 again next week. :)
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Not a great day overall for me:

Squats failed 120 1setx3reps, deloaded to 115 and did the rest
    OHP failed 65 pounds on 3rd rep first setx2, deloaded to 60 and did 3x3 :(
    deadlift 100 1x5

hopefully next time is better!!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I totally rocked 70kg/155lbs x 8 today (with my PT). That's a PB for me, we are aiming for 100kg/220lbs.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Day 4 of 5x5

Squat 30kg
    Row 22.5kg
    Bench 20kg

Was tough but good :)
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Just started SL last week.

Working on Workout A again tomorrow, but these are my numbers to date:

Squat: 95
    Row: 65
    Bench: 60
    Dead: 65
    Overhead Press: 40

I'm rehabbing from a broken shoulder/back and hip and have a bad knee so even though these numbers are pretty low, I'm really proud of them!
  • kazzari
    Options
    Just started SL last week.

Working on Workout A again tomorrow, but these are my numbers to date:

Squat: 95
    Row: 65
    Bench: 60
    Dead: 65
    Overhead Press: 40

I'm rehabbing from a broken shoulder/back and hip and have a bad knee so even though these numbers are pretty low, I'm really proud of them!

Wow...you should be proud. That's a lot to deal with. Great job!
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Wow...you should be proud. That's a lot to deal with. Great job!
    Thanks. I keep trying to remind myself how far I've come everytime I see other's deadlift #'s. I'm the only one at our gym (that I've met/talked to) who can't deadlift more than they can squat. And I always feel so crazy wiped after finishing my deads. Whereas I feel awesome (tho spent) after the other exercises.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options
    Everyone's kicking butt! I need a weekend from my long weekend...anyone else? I did get my workout in today though since my gym was open and my stats pretty much are the same: Squats 115, OHP 50 @ 2x5, 55 @ 3x5, and deads 130.
  • kazzari
    Options
    Disappointing on squats. I did one set of 115 but wasn't happy with my depth, so I dropped back to 110. In the past I know I have gradually sacrificed depth to add to the bar, and I really don't want that to happen this time. Since the only power rack was occupied and the other squat rack has a rather high fixed safety, I started with OHP. I was concerned, but I don't think this really hurt my squats. I miscounted again on my plates for the BOR. After the first set when I realized I'd done 95 lbs. instead of 90, and without too much struggle, I changed out the smaller plates for 25's and stacked the barbell on more plates to bring it up to the proper height. Yay..much better this way!

Totals:
    Squat: 110
    OHP: failed at 55...completed 21 reps in 5 sets
    BOR: 95

It seems really wrong that my squat and BOR should be so close.
  • lfcartz
    lfcartz Posts: 20
    Options
    Definitely want to join this group! I've only completed 2 sessions of Stronglift, completed B today. I love the simplicity of the workout. I can't locate my phone right now so I'll add my numbers next workout (Wednesday morning). Love reading all the progress. I'm also doing CrossFit twice a week and trying to complete the C25K program, currently on Week 4.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Everyone's kicking butt! I need a weekend from my long weekend...anyone else? I did get my workout in today though since my gym was open and my stats pretty much are the same: Squats 115, OHP 50 @ 2x5, 55 @ 3x5, and deads 130.

I'm desperately trying to get back into the swing of things from my super long break (3 weeks) -- its tough because if you aren't used to squatting its actually VERY strenuous, I'd totally forgotten how hard it is in the beginning (maybe because in the beginning you're not trying to squat 120 lbs?).

I think I'm going to change the way I increment my weights - I'm doing my 'real' workweight for the first few sets and then reducing weight for the last few (depending on how I feel) some days so that its more like a Reverse pyramid.

so like last time I did 120 x 5, 120x5, 120x2 and then 115x3, 115x3, 95x5 (the only way I was getting back under that bar was to go light) but then today I did the full 120 5x5, and next time I think I will do something like the above, but wiht 125 as my start weight.

I came up with this plan and immediately felt SO much better - like Rae I kind of was feeling like every workout was SO. FREAKING. HARD. This is giving me some flexibility to say "hey, if you're stressed about the next set lets just drop the weight a bit) and I'm still doing a fair bit of work. I'm still going to do the same program in terms of lifts, I'm just shifting it a bit so the weight isn't incrementing so fast any more. When my husband starts hitting those weights for him (it'll probably be a while...grumble) I might cross over to 3x5 and add some assistance lifts instead of continuing this way.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options

This is giving me some flexibility to say "hey, if you're stressed about the next set lets just drop the weight a bit) and I'm still doing a fair bit of work. I'm still going to do the same program in terms of lifts, I'm just shifting it a bit so the weight isn't incrementing so fast any more.

Doing the same--slowing my increments and I think it is definitely less stressful. Slow progress is better than injury!
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going off program for a week.

Today I did:

Squats: 100 lb 4/4/3/3/3 (increase over last time)
    Bench: 65 lbs 5x5 (same as last time - I simply could not lift the 70 and the last few reps were really tough)
    Row: 60 lbs 5x5 (same as bench)

I had to deload to 45 lbs on the overhead press. I'm at 105 on deads (increasing slowly to work on form).

Last week, I only lifted 2x instead of my usual 3-4 times, taking 4 days off at one point. It's getting HARD, and I feel like my form is suffering on squats. I think I'm leaning too far forward; I don't feel like I'm sinking down/back into the squat when the weight gets higher. It's almost like I'm getting timid.

I'm just about 6 weeks in, so doing a deload now wouldn't be totally out of line, right?

So, my plan for this week:

Deload to 85 lbs on squat and do box squats (well, my gym doesn't have boxes, but I think we have a bench the right height) to practice form.
    Switch to cable rows for variety; I find these to work better for me than the bent over rows - I feel the squeeze in my back more.
    Stay the same on overheads and benches but increase reps; try to work to 8 per set - THEN increase weight.
    Add in assisted pull-ups and Turkish get ups