Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• hutchy90
    hutchy90 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    IM IN!

Why?
    I've got nothing to lose here! (Figuratively speaking of course.)

My hair is dry, brittle, splitting, and falling out.
    My skin is breaking out and dull.
    My nails flake and break.
    I'm always tired.
    I'm losing energy, strength, and stamina.
    I'm always thinking about food, because I'm always so starving!

So hopefully I see some positive changes soon, and can update all of you!

I started yesterday - June 6, 2012

I have just recently been reading up on EM2WL, and have decided to start properly with the metabolism reset.

Female.
    Height - 5'7"
    CW - 157lbs
    BF% - around 22%?

GW - I'd rather be focusing on losing BF%, than lbs - as I want to be putting on MUSCLEEEE :happy:
    So lets say Goal BF% - 18%

BMR: 1543
    TDEE: 1852 (sedentary, I work a desk job and my workouts are inconsistent due to my rotating night/day shift work schedule, so I would rather just log them when I do them!)

I plan on doing the reset for the full 8 weeks. Just because I know it will be worth it.

Reasons - I have been trying to lose body fat for a while, and MFP set me at 1200 cal/day. I was struggling in the gym, losing strength, or not even making it to the gym because I would lay down for a 20 minute nap after work, and end up sleeping the entire night away! Being on MFP's SUPER restrictive calorie intake, I found myself binging out on junk food, and feeling horrible for it afterward when my calories were way over. Now I realize that I should have trusted my body. It was trying to tell me to feed it more! Summary of reason: I've been killing my metabolism for a year or so, and have been at a plateau for about 2 years (Even when i was eating 1000-1200 Cal/day!)

Yesterday was my first day, and HOLY SMOKES. Trying to get to 1852 calories felt impossible compared to the 1000-1200cal I was eating before now, and I didn't even do any cardio! It was such a relief though, being able to put nutella/PB on my ricecakes!

I didn't quite eat all my calories so hopefully tomorrow is better!

P.S. (Please add me if you have similar stats/goals - or even if you don't - I need MFP Journals to creep :blushing: )

:heart: :heart: Good luck everyone! Keep in touch! I want success stories and progress reports, STAT! Hehehe :laugh:

- Amanda
  • hutchy90
    Options
    :blushing: OH ... P.P.S. ( I've been reading that Macros are supposed to be at 40%C - 30%P - 30%F ... but I was wanting to change mine to

40%C - %40P - 20%F

or even

30%C - %40P - 30%F

Would either of these be a huge no-no?

I workout really hard and lift heavy weights. For this reason, I want my protein higher than 30%..

Im going to keep my sodium at the reccomemded 2500g and fiber at the reccommended 30g.

Here is what I look like now - And here is what I want to look like! Maybe even more muscular in the arms. (My head on Jennifer Nicole Lee's body) :blushing:

SAM_1944.jpgamandanicolelee.jpg
  • candacepatra
    candacepatra Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Just a quick question - the more that I've been reading around the Metabolism Reset stuff, the more confused I am about whether or not I should be eating back my workout calories while I'm on my Reset. I'm currently eating at my TDEE and have been eating back my calories after I workout, mostly trying to make sure I get a lot of protein after my workouts.

Is that wrong? Should I just be eating at my full TDEE and not eating back the workout calories? Eating back obviously puts my net above TDEE. I set my TDEE with "light" activity and I'm just doing 30mins of the 30 Day Shred every day. I have a desk job so I'm not super active during the day.

So far I feel great on my reset. It's been a little hard to hit my macros, but eating at TDEE has had wonderful IMMEDIATE effects on me and I'm really happy about it. It feels so freeing to not worry anymore about "going over" my calorie limit.

Any advice would be appreciated!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Just a quick question - the more that I've been reading around the Metabolism Reset stuff, the more confused I am about whether or not I should be eating back my workout calories while I'm on my Reset. I'm currently eating at my TDEE and have been eating back my calories after I workout, mostly trying to make sure I get a lot of protein after my workouts.

Is that wrong? Should I just be eating at my full TDEE and not eating back the workout calories? Eating back obviously puts my net above TDEE. I set my TDEE with "light" activity and I'm just doing 30mins of the 30 Day Shred every day. I have a desk job so I'm not super active during the day.

So far I feel great on my reset. It's been a little hard to hit my macros, but eating at TDEE has had wonderful IMMEDIATE effects on me and I'm really happy about it. It feels so freeing to not worry anymore about "going over" my calorie limit.

Hi there your TDEE has activity factored in already so no need to eat back exercise calories. If you selected the appropriate activity level you shouldnt have to eat back. The only time is if your cardio burn bring you under net of BMR. If that happens you eat a bit more until you get to net of your bmr.

Lucia:flowerforyou:
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    :blushing: OH ... P.P.S. ( I've been reading that Macros are supposed to be at 40%C - 30%P - 30%F ... but I was wanting to change mine to

40%C - %40P - 20%F

or even

30%C - %40P - 30%F

Would either of these be a huge no-no?

I workout really hard and lift heavy weights. For this reason, I want my protein higher than 30%..

Im going to keep my sodium at the reccomemded 2500g and fiber at the reccommended 30g.

Here is what I look like now - And here is what I want to look like! Maybe even more muscular in the arms. (My head on Jennifer Nicole Lee's body) :blushing:

SAM_1944.jpgamandanicolelee.jpg

Hi there,

The 30/40/30 is fine...good fat is so important. Think about taking MCT oils...coconut oil is high in good fats and isn't usually stored as fat but used for energy...just a thought:flowerforyou:

Lucia
  • candacepatra
    candacepatra Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Hi there your TDEE has activity factored in already so no need to eat back exercise calories. If you selected the appropriate activity level you shouldnt have to eat back. The only time is if your cardio burn bring you under net of BMR. If that happens you eat a bit more until you get to net of your bmr.

Thanks Lucia! I was having a really hard time trying to figure out what to do to eat back those calories, hahah... this makes things a bit easier. :)
  • hutchy90
    Options
    Thanks! That's what I'm going to do then :) and I'm getting some coconut oil ASAP! you sold me on your shrimp dinner :)
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That's what I'm going to do then :) and I'm getting some coconut oil ASAP! you sold me on your shrimp dinner :)

No kidding, I think I am going to have to make a curry this weekend too, WITH coconut oil, a match made in heaven!
  • jomatho
    Options
    Check in:

I started the repair/reset a week and a half ago. As I said before, I ate between 1100-1300 for a couple of months then I started the EMTWL mentality and upped to 1400 for a wk, then decided to do reset and eat at tdee.1700.

I haven't gained or lost weight so far, I have been coasting at the usual 120-121lbs (depending on water and leftover food on my stomach from previous night).

So now, I'm just concerned if I have the right numbers for my TDEE. I have been using the "light exercise" for calculating it.

I only started working out about a month ago I think, and only go to to the gym a few times a week. Although the last couple of weeks, I feel I'm more active than I was before. Even if I don't go to the gym, I may still be busy with cleaning, gardening and recently trying to do some workout at home if I cant make it to the gym.

I don't feel it warrants moderate exercise though but I was expecting some gain from eating at tdee and 1.5 wks later, nothing.
    Should I be concerned or just keep at 1700 for the remainder or the "reset/repair"?

Wish I had a bodymedia/bodybugg to see what I am really burning but all I have is a hrm. =(

Not sure if anyone answered your questions so I will take a stab.
    Some people don't gain weight on a reset, so don't worry too much.
    If you feel you are more active, just try to count up the hours per week that you are working out and replug your numbers into scooby.
    You could try to add 100 calories and do that for a week to see how you end up. And then, maybe another 100 per day the next week. See how high you can get and then stabilize there for a while. It is better to be a little over than under, even if you do end up gaining a few.
  • jomatho
    Options
    Horrible! I went to the zoo today, walked a lot, now I have to eat more? What if I don't want to eat, say 2000/ day for the rest of my life! Without junk food, it's really not so fun to eat that much! Did I say that? And can I say my avocados aren't ripe enough to eat !Not that I want to eat an avacado at 10pm

If I am under at the end of the day, I like to treat myself to a little chocolate or wine. It may not fit into my macros perfectly, but I don't see this as a 100% plan. More like 80/20 so I can live a little. I figure it is better to hit my calorie goal and be off on the macros a little than under eat and have perfect macros.
    Not sure this is how others think, but just my opinion :)
  • jomatho
    Options
    One of my "friends" from another site recommended this group. As I am reading your posting, I am getting excited about the concept of eat more weigh less...I truly have been on a yo-yo the past few years...I can never get past a 10lb. plateau. My diet doesn't change much and I have been trying to eat about 1200-1500 calories. I did a TDEE calculator and my calories were at 2327. Do I have to eat this many calories? Sorry, I haven't had time to watch the videos. Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Yes, you should eat that much, enjoy! And do watch the videos, read through the linked threads and all of the stickies you can. It really helps to understand the why and what of it all. Good luck!
  • branou05
    branou05 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've finally decided to take the plunge and try this. I'm extremely nervous about the potential weight gain though, but after reading posts and listening to my body lately, I don't think I have a choice.

I lost over 40 pounds in about 2 years by simply restricting my diet to 1200 calories. I'm 5'2" and 28 years old.

I then started exercising a little bit here and there, went vegetarian, and reached my lowest weight of 108 pounds. I felt great. So, why not go even farther? Long story short, I think I have become obsessed with the exercise part and gaining any weight. I'm lucky if I eat a total of 1200 calories a day and I work out an average of 1 1/2 hours at the gym, 30 minutes of weights at home and walk the dog for 30 minutes EVERY DAY, NO breaks. The problem is, I've now gained weight and my clothes are fitting tighter. How can this be?! I'm currently 121 pounds and am devastated that the more I do exercise-wise, the more I seem to gain.

So, I'm going to give this a shot, but it is very difficult knowing that I'm going to gain even more potentially. According to the Scooby Calculator, my BMR is 1339, TDEE is 2545 and -15% is 2163.

Question now is, do I go back to what I first did and had success, no gym at all and just eat 1200 calories a day? Or, do I just cut back on the gym and eat at 1339 to ease into it? Or, don't go so hard at the gym, maybe an hour each day, a few days a week and eat closer to 1900?

I really just want to get back to my goal weight of 110, not worrying so much about not being able to make it to the gym, and actually being healthy!
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options

No kidding, I think I am going to have to make a curry this weekend too, WITH coconut oil, a match made in heaven!

Coconut oil is AWESOME in a curry. nummmmy. I will use green curry, cocconut oil ( or sometimes coconut manna) , thai chili garlic sauce, sugar snap peas and sometimes a bit of cut up sweet potato and quinoa... makes kind of a soup, add protein, either shrimp or chicken...and I add dried basil...because I add it to everything...SOOOO tasty!!!!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I've finally decided to take the plunge and try this. I'm extremely nervous about the potential weight gain though, but after reading posts and listening to my body lately, I don't think I have a choice.

I lost over 40 pounds in about 2 years by simply restricting my diet to 1200 calories. I'm 5'2" and 28 years old.

I then started exercising a little bit here and there, went vegetarian, and reached my lowest weight of 108 pounds. I felt great. So, why not go even farther? Long story short, I think I have become obsessed with the exercise part and gaining any weight. I'm lucky if I eat a total of 1200 calories a day and I work out an average of 1 1/2 hours at the gym, 30 minutes of weights at home and walk the dog for 30 minutes EVERY DAY, NO breaks. The problem is, I've now gained weight and my clothes are fitting tighter. How can this be?! I'm currently 121 pounds and am devastated that the more I do exercise-wise, the more I seem to gain.

So, I'm going to give this a shot, but it is very difficult knowing that I'm going to gain even more potentially. According to the Scooby Calculator, my BMR is 1339, TDEE is 2545 and -15% is 2163.

Question now is, do I go back to what I first did and had success, no gym at all and just eat 1200 calories a day? Or, do I just cut back on the gym and eat at 1339 to ease into it? Or, don't go so hard at the gym, maybe an hour each day, a few days a week and eat closer to 1900?

I really just want to get back to my goal weight of 110, not worrying so much about not being able to make it to the gym, and actually being healthy!

Hi and Welcome to the group.

You did put your body into starving mode by eating that little calories and exercising that much. Are you eating your exercise calories back? Your body is holding on to everything you are putting in, and stores it, cause you are not providing sufficient fuel.

You should do a reset, meaning eating TDEE for 6-8 weeks. Yes, you probably will gain some weight, but your body will thank you for it. I have starved myself for a long time just eating that little. Now I can't even imagine any more how I could get through the day with that little.

After 6-8 weeks of TDEE you can reduce 15% from it to lose. Read through the stickies-there is a lot of valuable information there.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Here I am checking in here. For the past two weeks, I've been eating at TDEE and debating doing another metabolism reset since the last one I did was a complete and utter fail. Ive been considering it, but leaving the back door open. Today I blogged about it so this is me committing to this for the next 6 weeks, for better or for worse.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/momofmyfivekids/view/metabolism-reset-272433

This thread is so awesome! I will definitely be frequenting it!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options

It sounds scary, doesn't it? I took the plunge about a month ago because I wanted to maintain and not lose anymore weight. I started eating at what I thought was my TDEE and the result almost a month later is drop in weight. Not what I wanted but I want to tell you that it is possible to lose weight and eat more.Here is where I posted about it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/624019-trying-to-maintain-not-working-so-back-to-drawing-board
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Well, I am going to take the final TDEE plung...going to my Katch McArdle TDEE based off BF which is higher than what I am eating now...2420...BAM. I am up 5lbs from the when I started with the Mifflin St Joer TDEE of 2251, but I am not a drop bigger and have gone down 2% bodyfat...so I will see how it goes! Keep ya posted!

• ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • branou05
    branou05 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome and replying to my post Noor13 and MariaMaria!

I am/was not eating my exercise calories back at all. So, I would finish the day eating around 1100 or so calories total plus I would exercise 2 hours on top of it. So, I was maybe netting 200-300 calories a day. I've been very irritable and every now and then if I got up too fast, I'd be light headed. I also haven't had a menstrual cycle in about a year. So, that's what I'm gathering I've done to my self.

The idea just really seems counter productive to me though. My body is already used to working out so much, I'm afraid if I cut back, then there is no possible way for me to get the short-term weight I will gain by increasing my calorie consumption. But, I also can't expect to have a life by spending every waking moment working out or worrying about it.

Thanks so much for your suggestions, I will take a look at them.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Well after having a couple of days struggling to get to my TDEE, I've been hit with the black hunger today! I'm hoping this means that the reset is starting to rev my metabolism up some more. We shall see!