Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• petergarcia82
    petergarcia82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Should I put in my current weight or my weight I am aiming to be? I weigh 285 currently and I am not sure if I can eat that much anymore.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Should I put in my current weight or my weight I am aiming to be? I weigh 285 currently and I am not sure if I can eat that much anymore.

Your current weight. You musteat the cals needed for your current weight. If you go by your goal weight, then you arent feeding yourself enough..

Work on eating higher calorie dense foods like Nuts, oils, full fat cheese etc.. they eat up the cals a lot quicker
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I did it!...I think. If the goal is to eat our TDEE then I got pretty darn close. My TDEE is 2158 apparently. And MFP says I ate 2118 calories today so woo. Although I netted 1872 but that's just above my BMR so yay? Kinda confused if we're to eat back our exercise cals doing this but today was pretty darn good regardless.
    Funny how in a week's time my definition of a good day of eating sure has changed. I looked at one of my friend's diaries and I saw she only ate like 1100 calories. It was so bare. I feel like I should warn her about all this stuff and save her the grief but don't wanna get all up in her business.
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, checking in. Day 11 of my reset. I'm up .6 but there's been minute fluctuations in-between because I'm more sensitive to sodium lately, and while it doesn't cause huge swelling in any extremities, it does cause obvious water retention. I've been approx. -230 calories away from my TDEE by the end of each night, which bugs me because I really want to do it right, eat at TDEE or above, and not have a deficit of more than -100 calories.

I have also not worked out as much as I had before the reset, but mainly because I'm waiting for next week, when I get back to the gym to lift weights 2x/week, thanks to summer school for my kiddos. I'll lift Monday & Wednesday, then do HIIT Thursday, Saturday and possibly Sunday.

Raynn1 - are you on Stage 1 of NROLFW? Don't be discouraged if you haven't seen changes. I have heard that more obvious changes happen in the later stages. I had finished Stage 1 after 6 weeks and did notice body recomposition in my upper midsection (hello, two pack! Stick around a while!), but the love handles are still sitting on my hip bones. Don't give up!

Drusilla126 - Hooray! Good for you for eating so close to TDEE! Like I said, that's my goal, too, and I need to plan my meals better/eat more during the earlier part of the day. If you're trying to eat at TDEE, I believe you do NOT eat back exercise cals, especially if you picked the correct activity level for your TDEE calculation.

Hang in there, everyone! Don't give it up! I'm not! :flowerforyou:
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I've been reading the posted links. My TDEE is 2327 and my BMR is 1923. I want to be sure I've got this right. I need to reset and eat my TDEE 2327 for 6-8 weeks then cut by 15% to start losing (if I should gain weight). Exercise should be light, 30 min. walks etc. I do have to watch my carbs. due to a pre-diabetic scare this past spring. I am reading the posts and feeling excited yet anxious about weight gain. Is there anyone who has been doing this program and not freaked out about the weight gain? My mind understands the concept but like so many...the thought of gaining more weight is overwhelming. Thanks!
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    One thing to consider, do you have the right activity level? I am not working out hard but I live in the city and walk alot. After actually believing what my fit bit says I find I should eat 2900 at maintenance. I started my reset at 2400 then went up to 2700, now for the last 3 weeks of it I will be eating 2900. I am 5'8 and I never used to eat any exercise calories it put me under my bmr every day. So, even if your not running or weight lifting a every day, your still spending hours exercising, in a reset better to err over cals than under and have to do it over! Pre reset weight was 183. I thought I was moderately active, turns out I'm in the very active category. If your walking 2 or 3 miles every day your probably more active than you think. I've gained about 7 lbs on reset in these 5 weeks.
    Good luck to you all and don't let the psychological stuff make you sweat it.
    Don't give up!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I've been reading the posted links. My TDEE is 2327 and my BMR is 1923. I want to be sure I've got this right. I need to reset and eat my TDEE 2327 for 6-8 weeks then cut by 15% to start losing (if I should gain weight). Exercise should be light, 30 min. walks etc. I do have to watch my carbs. due to a pre-diabetic scare this past spring. I am reading the posts and feeling excited yet anxious about weight gain. Is there anyone who has been doing this program and not freaked out about the weight gain? My mind understands the concept but like so many...the thought of gaining more weight is overwhelming. Thanks!

You dont have to quit (or lighten) up exercise unless you want to. Pretty much, you should continue at whatever activity level you were at before.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Just popping in to say keep on keepin on! You all are doing great!

I woke up feeling bloated(again), TOM, and up 4.2 lbs (I'm on day 17). Oh well. Going to the gym. I've got to keep my eats a bit cleaner today, we have a birthday weekend so I am going to be around alot of treats. Its so hard to stay away from all that stuff when technically you have the calories!

Have a great day!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    WHY in the world did I step on the scale this am? It's day 9 of the reset.

I should have known better.....TOM, I ate out yesterday night and I lifted heavy.

I am up 9! Pounds today. I wanna cry!:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    WHY in the world did I step on the scale this am? It's day 9 of the reset.

I should have known better.....TOM, I ate out yesterday night and I lifted heavy.

I am up 9! Pounds today. I wanna cry!:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

In times like these, it helps to do the math...have you eaten an extra 35,000 calories? I think not. :) I'm up too because of a super busy week and poor eating choices in the busyness. Gonna get back on track today, though.

Drink lots of water for the next few days and the water weight will go down. :flowerforyou:
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I am into my 3rd week of reset and up about 5 pounds. It's very hard not to be discouraged, at least after being so obsessed with every ounce for so long. I think my main issue is that I have been keeping up the activity level I initially used to calculate my TDEE, but I had an awesome workout yesterday. I feel kind of back to normal. My hope is that a "normal" activity level will stop thr scale from moving (i want to maintain!). Still tweaking the diet side of things. It's been hard for me to adjust to higher calories without relying on junk to get there. A work in progress, I guess.

I have one question: once the cut phase begins, do you adjust your number as your weight drops?
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I am into my 3rd week of reset and up about 5 pounds. It's very hard not to be discouraged, at least after being so obsessed with every ounce for so long. I think my main issue is that I have been keeping up the activity level I initially used to calculate my TDEE, but I had an awesome workout yesterday. I feel kind of back to normal. My hope is that a "normal" activity level will stop thr scale from moving (i want to maintain!). Still tweaking the diet side of things. It's been hard for me to adjust to higher calories without relying on junk to get there. A work in progress, I guess.

I have one question: once the cut phase begins, do you adjust your number as your weight drops?

Yup, every 5 pounds lost you recalculate your TDEE:)
  • Raynn1
    Options
    I am still here and plugging along. I have one more NROL session and I am done Stage 1. Still incredibly disappointed that in 6 weeks there have been no change in inches, even though I have increased my weights almost double on everything. So hopefully once the weight start dropping after reset, then the inches will fly off.

I have booked a trip to Orlando with some GFs at the end of July for a 4 day trip and I would love to be able to not feel so ugly and fat in an airplane seat, or on the rides..
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

I haven't let the gain bother me but I also stay off the scale. I will step on the scale when the reset is done and when I need recalculate my numbers but other than that I focus on how my clothes fit. I don't measure if I feel/look bloated like in the beginning of upping cals or around TOM. I figure whats the point of getting upset over something thats temporary. All my same clothes fit still so I suppose that really helps.

But I focus on all the positives EM2WL has given me. Theres so many...I stopped hating my body. I hated my body for not losing when it was really me who was over exercising and not fueling properly. I can put on a shirt and see past the flaws. Before all I did was nit pick then change 10 times. I eat more than just protein and veggies and actually share meals with my family verses before when they would eat pizza, I sat there and ate chicken with veggies. I feel so normal! The list goes on....

While I have cut back on cardio, I am training for a local run and I am very active. I actually like eating gobs of food (my TDEE is 2643 but I probably eat about 2700 and sometimes more!) so I don't want to cut back cardio too much...but I really am trying to get a full rest day once a week and sit down more during the day even though thats all very hard for me. Once it starts getting too dark and cold to run then I will find different cardio and change my numbers but until then I am completely enjoying myself!

Edit to add: I meant to also say I used to be a huge binger! I would restrict for weeks, step on the scale and see a gain or no lose then lose my mind! I would have crazy binges and whats funny is many times I would step on the scale the next day to access the damage and be 6-8lbs lighter! One binge was so bad that on top of my daily calories and all I had binged on, I ate an entire loaf of chocolate banana bread! The entire thing! It was in the freezer and I didn't even bother to thaw it, I was just so angry and was "punishing" my body. Thats probably the biggest improvement, no binging since I started EM2WL 5 wks ago. Sure I have had a few days where I was hungry and ate over my TDEE, but not like my old angry binges!
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am still here and plugging along. I have one more NROL session and I am done Stage 1. Still incredibly disappointed that in 6 weeks there have been no change in inches, even though I have increased my weights almost double on everything. So hopefully once the weight start dropping after reset, then the inches will fly off.

I have booked a trip to Orlando with some GFs at the end of July for a 4 day trip and I would love to be able to not feel so ugly and fat in an airplane seat, or on the rides..

I was under the impression that the people who are losing inches were the ones at a cut??? I didn't know to expect inches lost during reset. I haven't remeasured, but I know I haven't lost any yet either (4.5 weeks). I was thinking I would see inches once I started cutting??? Maybe a few lucky ones lose inches, but I have never been lucky with weight loss, lol. Weight gain I am VERY lucky, hehe.
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    We have a family trip in a few weeks. I have been working on losing 10lbs. before the trip...they are the same 10lbs. that have plagued me for a year! I feel like Raynn1...For once, I'd like to feel like the one that didn't let myself go....I read the post on em2wl link...I so could be "that girl" whose metabolism moves at a snail's pace. I am excited to try this new eating plan...after all, I've been starving for years! Thank you to those of you on this thread that are so encouraging to a newbie like me!:flowerforyou:
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    Checking in at week 2 of my reset. Up another pound. Gained one last week, too. Ugggggh. I hate this part of it!!!! Right now the scale shows I'm up a total of 8 pounds since before I started EM2WL. This royally sucks, and I want to throw in the towel. I wasn't a VLC eater before following this group. I always hovered around 1500-1700 with eating exercise calories back. Maybe it's because it's summer, and I'm self conscious about wearing tank tops and shorts as it is, now add that I feel puffy, flabby, and want my clothes to be loose, NOT tight.

I don't think I'll make it past another couple weeks before cutting. My TDEE is 2210. I don't have a problem eating the calories, I hit my macros, keep my sodium under 2,500. Aim for over 120 on my protein. What the heck???? Of course I'm gaining a pound per week, because I'm eating an extra 500 calories per day, over what I used to eat before EM2WL. Yup, there's the 3,500 calories each week that's causing the gain. I'm not sure I really believe in this anymore. Sorry, maybe it's just cuz I'm tired and cranky after my 9-mile run in 80+ degree weather (two weeks to half-marathon). I burned about 1,000 calories, and gosh darn it, I'm not tracking today.
  • Raynn1
    Options

I was under the impression that the people who are losing inches were the ones at a cut??? I didn't know to expect inches lost during reset. I haven't remeasured, but I know I haven't lost any yet either (4.5 weeks). I was thinking I would see inches once I started cutting??? Maybe a few lucky ones lose inches, but I have never been lucky with weight loss, lol. Weight gain I am VERY lucky, hehe.

Im hoping they will come off once the cut hits. I was hoping that even being at TDEE, with weight lifting, there would still be a shift in inches. I know a few people have had that kinf of result while eating a lot.. just not in my cards I guess..
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Checking in at week 2 of my reset. Up another pound. Gained one last week, too. Ugggggh. I hate this part of it!!!! Right now the scale shows I'm up a total of 8 pounds since before I started EM2WL. This royally sucks, and I want to throw in the towel. I wasn't a VLC eater before following this group. I always hovered around 1500-1700 with eating exercise calories back. Maybe it's because it's summer, and I'm self conscious about wearing tank tops and shorts as it is, now add that I feel puffy, flabby, and want my clothes to be loose, NOT tight.

I don't think I'll make it past another couple weeks before cutting. My TDEE is 2210. I don't have a problem eating the calories, I hit my macros, keep my sodium under 2,500. Aim for over 120 on my protein. What the heck???? Of course I'm gaining a pound per week, because I'm eating an extra 500 calories per day, over what I used to eat before EM2WL. Yup, there's the 3,500 calories each week that's causing the gain. I'm not sure I really believe in this anymore. Sorry, maybe it's just cuz I'm tired and cranky after my 9-mile run in 80+ degree weather (two weeks to half-marathon). I burned about 1,000 calories, and gosh darn it, I'm not tracking today.

You burned 1000 cals and you eat 2210? Are you netting you bmr? Sometimes if you up but burn high cals and don't net bmr it will cause a gain. Just want to make sure that is not the case here.:flowerforyou:
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hey guys here is the video I mentioned that I thought you guys should watch...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktemRvtJ3UA
    Lucia