Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if I'm reposting something everyone already knows and can find somewhere else, but I've been watching the youtube videos that Kiki and Lucia have put together. Here is the link for the main page for all the Eat More 2 Lose Weight videos. I never really watched them before, and wish I had a month ago!! Highly recommend you watch them, they will definitely help you see what to expect, calm some fears, and answer a ton of questions.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EatMore2WeighLess?feature=watch
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    the videos are great:) really helped put things in perspective a little better:)
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Nearly two weeks in and I'm feeling quite discouraged today. I look and feel so much bigger each week I'm really tempted to simply go back to eating 1500 cal/day like I did a few summers ago when I lost 30 lb and have kept it off.

In pictures of me yesterday at my daughter's baby shower I look so fat! Clothes are tighter on me than they have been in 3 years. Perhaps this just isn't the right time for me to do this. Perhaps if I get down from 171 to 150 or so and then do a reset I could tolerate the weight increases better... Plus I don't even think I hit my TDEE a few days last week due to the craziness of my schedule (but I didn't exercise either so I didn't burn much). Ugh.
  • bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hi all- 5'10", and joined MFP at 148 pounds trying to get back down to 145. It had me netting 1640 so I'd eat all my exercise cals back. I go to the gym daily and do pretty heavy cardio, so I've been eating anywhere from 2200-2500. Got on the scale Friday morning and I'm up to 153.8 pounds. I found the TDEE thread and went to scooby calculator and figured out my 'stats' - and depending on activity level, my TDEE (with 15% cut) is 2256 with 5-6 hours of exercise and 2485 with 7-21 hours of exercise. When I go to the gym, I usually do 60 minutes on the elliptical (+5 min cooldown) and I occasionally do incline walking on the treadmill.

On the fitness frog site, my TDEE (no cut) for moderate activity is 2385; for heavy it's 2655; and for daily it's 2924. I'm not really sure which category to put myself in - yes, I work out daily, but I work a desk job and am a student, so I'm guessing I'm more on the 'heavy exercise' activity level, meaning my TDEE is 2655 and my cut (-15%) is 2256 (which lines up with the 5-6 hours on the scooby site).

I'm just freaking out because it's been over a month and I'm up 6 pounds. I was getting ready to cut calories back even more when I found the TDEE thread yesterday. Since I've been eating closer to 2200-2500 over the past several weeks, have I been eating at TDEE and doing this reset? I'm still pretty fatigued and worn out all the time - and I keep increasing gym time wondering why I've gained all the weight. I feel bloated and my clothes are getting to be uncomfortably tight. Should I up my calories even more and ride it out? How long should I keep doing this if the scale keeps inching up? I had weighed myself two weeks ago and was 152.8 but was on my period so blamed it on water retention. When I got on the scale Friday I was *sure* I'd be back down around where I was... definitely not up a pound. It's so disheartening.

Can someone give me some advice?

Can anyone please give me any advice?? I'm at a loss here :(

I'm sorry for your struggles..there's a lot of info in these forums and it's hard to make sense of it all sometimes.
    Basically, the first thing that strikes me when I read through your post is that you increased your exercise along with your calories...which in essence, just contradicts all your efforts. Choose a moderate activity level...we recommend 2 -3 lift days and 1 - 2 cardio days (this will give you a 3 - 5 day/week workout schedule with rest days (which are VERY important!) You are exhausted because you are working out so much (I'm guessing without rest days) and still not fueling your body enough for those workouts. (I did the exact same thing when I started in this forum, so I do understand! :wink: ) I recommend that you watch this video so that you can understand what I mean by all of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktemRvtJ3UA

Once you get your workouts on a more average level (not busting your butt like crazy every day), chose the appropriate activity level for what you have decided to do. We recommend that you use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to get your numbers.

Then, you have the choice of doing a reset (you can never go wrong with that) or starting out at TDEE - 15%. Because you are so tired right now, I would personally recommend that you do a reset for at least 6 weeks (preferably 8) just to give your body some time to rest and heal and fuel up before you stress it with a cut again. So that means eating your TDEE number (no cut) for 6 - 8 weeks and then dropping down into your cut mode of -15% to start your loss.

While at the gym this morning I was thinking maybe I'll continue eating the 2400-ish but cut my workouts down. But since I've gained the 6-7 pounds since May 4 (when I originally upped my cals) - will eating the same cals but working out less cause another 6+ pound gain? This makes me nervous, just because my pants are already getting tight and I think if I gain any more they won't button anymore :(

On the scooby site, the highest activity category (7-21 hours) gives me a TDEE (without cut) of 2933. I know my relationship with the gym sounds unhealthy, but I take my nook and set it up on the elliptical and that's my one hour of me time, where I can read a novel for fun and not feel bad about not doing something productive, because at least I'm working out while I read. I don't always go for an hour, though - so if I cut down to 45 minutes instead, I'd have to go down to the next lower level? I feel like I'm right on the edge of the 5-6 hours and 7-21 hours and I'm not sure which level I should eat. I'm so used to going to the gym and busting my butt each day I can't imagine not doing it. If I cut my cardio down to 4x a week and lifted 2x- would that be 3-5 hours or 5-6? Would it be 5-6 hours only if I made sure I lifted for an entire hour each time? Seeing as I do no strength training right now, suddenly jumping up to 2 hours a week sounds tough. I feel like I'm just stuck in a rut and stuck in this routine and I'm afraid of the 6 pound gain and afraid if I up my calories any more that I'll just keep gaining... Maybe I need to go back through and read this whole thread (I've read through all the TDEE - what is it threads, but then switched over to this one)
  • bethad5
    Options
    Hi all- 5'10", and joined MFP at 148 pounds trying to get back down to 145. It had me netting 1640 so I'd eat all my exercise cals back. I go to the gym daily and do pretty heavy cardio, so I've been eating anywhere from 2200-2500. Got on the scale Friday morning and I'm up to 153.8 pounds. I found the TDEE thread and went to scooby calculator and figured out my 'stats' - and depending on activity level, my TDEE (with 15% cut) is 2256 with 5-6 hours of exercise and 2485 with 7-21 hours of exercise. When I go to the gym, I usually do 60 minutes on the elliptical (+5 min cooldown) and I occasionally do incline walking on the treadmill.

On the fitness frog site, my TDEE (no cut) for moderate activity is 2385; for heavy it's 2655; and for daily it's 2924. I'm not really sure which category to put myself in - yes, I work out daily, but I work a desk job and am a student, so I'm guessing I'm more on the 'heavy exercise' activity level, meaning my TDEE is 2655 and my cut (-15%) is 2256 (which lines up with the 5-6 hours on the scooby site).

I'm just freaking out because it's been over a month and I'm up 6 pounds. I was getting ready to cut calories back even more when I found the TDEE thread yesterday. Since I've been eating closer to 2200-2500 over the past several weeks, have I been eating at TDEE and doing this reset? I'm still pretty fatigued and worn out all the time - and I keep increasing gym time wondering why I've gained all the weight. I feel bloated and my clothes are getting to be uncomfortably tight. Should I up my calories even more and ride it out? How long should I keep doing this if the scale keeps inching up? I had weighed myself two weeks ago and was 152.8 but was on my period so blamed it on water retention. When I got on the scale Friday I was *sure* I'd be back down around where I was... definitely not up a pound. It's so disheartening.

I'm sorry for your struggles..there's a lot of info in these forums and it's hard to make sense of it all sometimes.
    Basically, the first thing that strikes me when I read through your post is that you increased your exercise along with your calories...which in essence, just contradicts all your efforts. Choose a moderate activity level...we recommend 2 -3 lift days and 1 - 2 cardio days (this will give you a 3 - 5 day/week workout schedule with rest days (which are VERY important!) You are exhausted because you are working out so much (I'm guessing without rest days) and still not fueling your body enough for those workouts. (I did the exact same thing when I started in this forum, so I do understand! :wink: ) I recommend that you watch this video so that you can understand what I mean by all of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktemRvtJ3UA

Once you get your workouts on a more average level (not busting your butt like crazy every day), chose the appropriate activity level for what you have decided to do. We recommend that you use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to get your numbers.

Then, you have the choice of doing a reset (you can never go wrong with that) or starting out at TDEE - 15%. Because you are so tired right now, I would personally recommend that you do a reset for at least 6 weeks (preferably 8) just to give your body some time to rest and heal and fuel up before you stress it with a cut again. So that means eating your TDEE number (no cut) for 6 - 8 weeks and then dropping down into your cut mode of -15% to start your loss.

While at the gym this morning I was thinking maybe I'll continue eating the 2400-ish but cut my workouts down. But since I've gained the 6-7 pounds since May 4 (when I originally upped my cals) - will eating the same cals but working out less cause another 6+ pound gain? This makes me nervous, just because my pants are already getting tight and I think if I gain any more they won't button anymore :(

On the scooby site, the highest activity category (7-21 hours) gives me a TDEE (without cut) of 2933. I know my relationship with the gym sounds unhealthy, but I take my nook and set it up on the elliptical and that's my one hour of me time, where I can read a novel for fun and not feel bad about not doing something productive, because at least I'm working out while I read. I don't always go for an hour, though - so if I cut down to 45 minutes instead, I'd have to go down to the next lower level? I feel like I'm right on the edge of the 5-6 hours and 7-21 hours and I'm not sure which level I should eat. I'm so used to going to the gym and busting my butt each day I can't imagine not doing it. If I cut my cardio down to 4x a week and lifted 2x- would that be 3-5 hours or 5-6? Would it be 5-6 hours only if I made sure I lifted for an entire hour each time? Seeing as I do no strength training right now, suddenly jumping up to 2 hours a week sounds tough. I feel like I'm just stuck in a rut and stuck in this routine and I'm afraid of the 6 pound gain and afraid if I up my calories any more that I'll just keep gaining... Maybe I need to go back through and read this whole thread (I've read through all the TDEE - what is it threads, but then switched over to this one)

Also- if I do do the reset, do I continue working out, too? Or should I do a reset at sedentary and not work out...? I'm watching the videos but haven't found this answer yet. Or do you suggest finding the activity level you want to have long term, eating at that TDEE, and being at that activity level?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Also- if I do do the reset, do I continue working out, too? Or should I do a reset at sedentary and not work out...? I'm watching the videos but haven't found this answer yet. Or do you suggest finding the activity level you want to have long term, eating at that TDEE, and being at that activity level?

Oh no, you workout through the reset. You just select the appropriate activity level. If you workout 3 hrs a week then you are moderate, 1 up to 3hrs then light, etc. We believe exercise is an important factor. Are you weight training, lifting weights through the process helps you hold on to muscle and tone them up nicely so you see nice definition as the body fat reduces.

Lucia
  • bethad5
    Options

Oh no, you workout through the reset. You just select the appropriate activity level. If you workout 3 hrs a week then you are moderate, 1 up to 3hrs then light, etc. We believe exercise is an important factor. Are you weight training, lifting weights through the process helps you hold on to muscle and tone them up nicely so you see nice definition as the body fat reduces.

Lucia

How long does the weight gain/bloat last? What makes me so nervous is the thought of gaining even more weight than what I already have- I upped my cals once and gained, so are you sure I should up them again?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Lucia

How long does the weight gain/bloat last? What makes me so nervous is the thought of gaining even more weight than what I already have- I upped my cals once and gained, so are you sure I should up them again?

Everyone is different regarding the bloat...I have heard from a couple days to a few weeks.

Ok, if you have been a VLCD for a while and then I would say go for the full 8 wk reset. Eat healthy of course, hit your macros of 40/30/30, do couple days cardio, lift 3 days, take measurements, and put away the scale. Give it a full hearted go and then after the 8wks, take your measurements, weight and start with a 10% cut to start losing again...

Lucia
  • trishwm2
    trishwm2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Alright ladies, this is our support thread for our metabolism reset. From reading and posting on several threads today it's clear that there are quite a few of us in the same boat here. Some of us are new to EMTWL. Some have been doing EMTWL for several months, but didn't do a metabolism reset in the beginning and now our weightloss has stalled (me me me). So, this is our place to check in, hold one another accountable to stick it out (even if we get a little puffier in the process), vent when we can't take it anymore, and be successful with sticking with what we know is best for out long term health - resetting the metabolism.

A few questions so that we can get to know one another's goals.

Eating at TDEE/Metabolism Reset Start Date - 5/28/2012
    How long do you plan to eat at TDEE? - I'm going to start with four weeks. I really like the idea of doing a full eight weeks, but I might need someone to kick me from behind to make me stick it out that long. It just feels so good to lose - it's going to be hard for me to hold out (hence why I created this support thread).
    Describe your reasons for doing a metabolism reset. - I've been doing EMTWL since the beginning of April. I actually found out about this concept through a thread in a general weight loss board called "In Place of a Road Map". I jumped right in and didn't find the EMTWL group until later. So at that point I didn't know about the metabolism reset. I thought I was fine, but being about six weeks in the weight loss is stalling out on me. I went back and forth and thought that I had made a decision to lower my calories by a couple of hundred to see if that would get me losing again. Except, darn some of the people on this forum, the suggestion was made that going up might be better for a plateau. So, I started reading more. I watched a couple of the EMTWL videos - the plateau one is really good. So now here I am trying to wrap my head around the fact that the one thing I really want right now (to see the weight come off) I am now putting on hold for anywhere from 4-8 weeks. This is going to be really hard for me, but I NEED to be successful in this long-term. I've lost these pounds several times over and I don't want to have to lose them again. I want this to be it - the final weight loss before lifelong maintenance!

So, here we go. Who's with me?
  • trishwm2
    trishwm2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater/dieter/ in surgical menopause and a 44 yr old.....having found it impossible to lose weight over the last 7 years since my pregancy with twins. I enjoy lifting weight and cardio, but could never get the "dieting thing" quite right.
    My SW 193 HT 67 in and are moderately active.

I started MFP on mothers day this year. Eating 1550 wk and upping calories 2 weeks ago to 1750-1950... My weight has increased by a few lbs. I had MAJOR bloating and some constipation for the first few weeks, and as of this last Monday it is much improved... I had did some major water flushing, kept my sodium low and made sure I had enough fiber...a half cap full of miralax here and ther helped me.

While the scale remains a few lbs higher, my workout clothes fit better and I feel much more comfortable now....now that I am fueling my body, ensuring that I keep my Macros 45/25/30. I will switch possibly to 40/30/30 as that ratio works well for me.

Now.... I could use some input...I had figured out my TDEE etc on scooby, yet have been using my body bugg for the last week(a Christmas gift from my FIL. Nice!) I figured my burn for 7 average days, with and without exercise.....leaving me with an average daily calorie burn over 7 days = 2600....... Hmmm!

I am looking to change my eating habits for lifetime....over the desire for .quick weight loss

Shall I reset at 2600? Or should I continue at 1750-1950.

I do enough cardio...have starting weightlifting. I think I k ow the answer
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

Now.... I could use some input...I had figured out my TDEE etc on scooby, yet have been using my body bugg for the last week(a Christmas gift from my FIL. Nice!) I figured my burn for 7 average days, with and without exercise.....leaving me with an average daily calorie burn over 7 days = 2600....... Hmmm!

I am looking to change my eating habits for lifetime....over the desire for .quick weight loss

Shall I reset at 2600? Or should I continue at 1750-1950.

I do enough cardio...have starting weightlifting. I think I k ow the answer

Do the reset at 2600. It's the best solution for the long haul. A few pounds more for a few weeks don't matter, since it is a life time change. Good luck
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    Options
    AMAZING how fast this journey is :) 6th week starts tomorrow. I'll be doing my cut on July 3rd-- not sure whether to start with 10% or 15%. I'm up and down between 2 lbs due to salty, but still up 9 lbs.. Oh well :) I'll lose them healthy whenever I do the cut. I probably end up with 15% cut.

Have a good week everyone!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!
    Blogged about where I'm at with the metab reset this morning!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/momofmyfivekids/view/metabolism-reset-part-2-274557

Have a great day!
  • carriea67
    carriea67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Good Morning & Happy Friday!

So this is the beginning of my second week of my reset and since I am also not stepping on the scale for the month of June - I have no idea how much I have gained. I know that I have put on some weight because some of my jeans are snug....BUT I am trying to remember that they were snug when I was only eating 1200 calories a day too.

I am leaving on vacation on Wednesday & it will be nice to go and enjoy myself and to not stress about going over in my calories. And in order to get my 3 days of lifting in - I went yesterday, today, and will go tomorrow. I expect we will be walking a lot during our trip so that will be my cardio.

I had a mini-meltdown yesterday when I had to go up a size to buy a new pair of jeans but realized that this is just a part of the process. (someone please remind me of that when I have to put on a dress to go to a wedding on June 22nd).

Hope you all are continuing to hang strong....we are in the part of the reset that makes us tough....
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Nearly two weeks in and I'm feeling quite discouraged today. I look and feel so much bigger each week I'm really tempted to simply go back to eating 1500 cal/day like I did a few summers ago when I lost 30 lb and have kept it off.

In pictures of me yesterday at my daughter's baby shower I look so fat! Clothes are tighter on me than they have been in 3 years. Perhaps this just isn't the right time for me to do this. Perhaps if I get down from 171 to 150 or so and then do a reset I could tolerate the weight increases better... Plus I don't even think I hit my TDEE a few days last week due to the craziness of my schedule (but I didn't exercise either so I didn't burn much). Ugh.

Sounds like the mental game is catching up with you. I too have often thought about going back to VLC and get another 20 pounds off so I would feel better about myself before trying the reset. But I know that wont happen. I wasnt losing anything eating 1400 cals a day so I would be more frustrated about dropping down so low and still not losing. Its a tough part of the plan, knowing that you need to keep going in order to see the results down the line. Its short term pain for long term gain. Just think that once you are back to losing again, your body shape will be so much smaller even at a heavier weight. Know that you will never again have to worry about a binge day and going over on cals. Know that you will never again have to worry about the diet cycle and gaining back those pounds anymore.

I know its hard. We all do. But you know deep down that you NEED this now. You need to shut the mind games off and allow yourself to heal from the inside, soi it can heal the outside.
    Hugs
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I'm starting week 6 this Monday morning. My pants were tight last week and the scale said I'd gained 17 pounds. This week, I'm afraid I'm going to pop the button and the zipper ... and I can't bring myself to step on the scale. I had a horrible sodium weekend and I ate a TON, but I was constantly moving. Just this weekend I've cleaned the house, helped raise two flower beds, moved 24 concrete blocks a couple different times, shoveled about a quarter ton of dirt, carried 5-gallon buckets of rocks, mowed the yard, picked up sticks, pulled weeds and planted ground cover. I'm beat!! I know that I overdid it on sodium this weekend ... I can feel that. I am just so tired of nothing fitting. I almost cried this morning when my pants were so hard to button and my hands hurt so bad from all the yard work, lol. Ugh. This is harder than I ever imagined. I cannot wait until I can start my cut and start losing. Is there anyone else in this thread who has gained upwards of 20 pounds? How are you all dealing with not being able to wear your clothes? I'm planning on a Goodwill trip sometime this coming week! Ughhhh!!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I'm starting week 6 this Monday morning. My pants were tight last week and the scale said I'd gained 17 pounds. This week, I'm afraid I'm going to pop the button and the zipper ... and I can't bring myself to step on the scale. I had a horrible sodium weekend and I ate a TON, but I was constantly moving. Just this weekend I've cleaned the house, helped raise two flower beds, moved 24 concrete blocks a couple different times, shoveled about a quarter ton of dirt, carried 5-gallon buckets of rocks, mowed the yard, picked up sticks, pulled weeds and planted ground cover. I'm beat!! I know that I overdid it on sodium this weekend ... I can feel that. I am just so tired of nothing fitting. I almost cried this morning when my pants were so hard to button and my hands hurt so bad from all the yard work, lol. Ugh. This is harder than I ever imagined. I cannot wait until I can start my cut and start losing. Is there anyone else in this thread who has gained upwards of 20 pounds? How are you all dealing with not being able to wear your clothes? I'm planning on a Goodwill trip sometime this coming week! Ughhhh!!

Sundresses!
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Sounds like the mental game is catching up with you. I too have often thought about going back to VLC and get another 20 pounds off so I would feel better about myself before trying the reset. But I know that wont happen. I wasnt losing anything eating 1400 cals a day so I would be more frustrated about dropping down so low and still not losing. Its a tough part of the plan, knowing that you need to keep going in order to see the results down the line. Its short term pain for long term gain. Just think that once you are back to losing again, your body shape will be so much smaller even at a heavier weight. Know that you will never again have to worry about a binge day and going over on cals. Know that you will never again have to worry about the diet cycle and gaining back those pounds anymore.

I know its hard. We all do. But you know deep down that you NEED this now. You need to shut the mind games off and allow yourself to heal from the inside, soi it can heal the outside.
    Hugs

It's so hard... one day I am a true believer in the idea of resetting your metabolism, but then the next day I feel awful and believe it just doesn't make sense to purposely eat so much and gain weight/inches.

Plus, I wonder whether the last two weeks would even count as part of the 8 week reset to my body because there were days I didn't end up eating my full TDEE. So, if I go 6 more weeks and then cut my fear is that it would not have been long enough to do any good. How horrible that would be!! I don't mean to be fussy, but I'm really in angst over this...
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options

After 3 weeks of this I have certainly had good days and bad. It's so hard mentally. At least if you're like me, going back to a VLCD wouldn't work. I was stuck, not losing weight there either. I finally got to the point before I started this reset that I am willing to go through the temporary discomfort for what I hope is long-term success. Gotta keep the faith.

Hugs

It's so hard... one day I am a true believer in the idea of resetting your metabolism, but then the next day I feel awful and believe it just doesn't make sense to purposely eat so much and gain weight/inches.

Plus, I wonder whether the last two weeks would even count as part of the 8 week reset to my body because there were days I didn't end up eating my full TDEE. So, if I go 6 more weeks and then cut my fear is that it would not have been long enough to do any good. How horrible that would be!! I don't mean to be fussy, but I'm really in angst over this...
  • kmcnulty05
    kmcnulty05 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of starting the reset today...though I have to say, some of the posts here are freaking me out a little LOL! I started eating at my cut 3-4 weeks ago and saw a small loss, but I am right back to bouncing between the same 3-4 pounds up and down - which is what I have been doing for MONTHS! So, I figured maybe I need to try the reset. Is there anyone else out there starting today? Maybe we can do this together?