Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Yes it is worth it! This will make it easier to lose in the long run!
  • kmcnulty05
    kmcnulty05 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of starting the reset today...though I have to say, some of the posts here are freaking me out a little LOL! I started eating at my cut 3-4 weeks ago and saw a small loss, but I am right back to bouncing between the same 3-4 pounds up and down - which is what I have been doing for MONTHS! So, I figured maybe I need to try the reset. Is there anyone else out there starting today? Maybe we can do this together?

Started the reset today. Just ate dinner and have 450 cals to go so I need to plan my eating better. I originally upped my cals in early May and the scale's showing a 7 pound gain - but then I realized I still wasn't eating enough, so today is day 1 of eating at full TDEE. Pretty petrified of gaining more weight because my clothes are already pretty uncomfortably tight. I'm trying not to get discouraged that the scale is reading higher than it has in over a year... it's all worth it in the end, right? ...right???!

Yes! I feel like I've tried everything else, so nothing to lose by trying this! Just finishing up day 1 also, and I still have 250 calories left to go...not hungry at all either...this is gonna take some getting used to...
  • bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

It's hard because I thought I'd already 'lost' - I started at 205 two years ago but maintained at 144-ish for several months (close to a year), but it wasn't until I had to take a break from working out (stress fractures) and then started back at the gym again that I realized I wasn't eating enough for how much I started working out. I went from 133 (which, at 5'10" with a large bone structure, was too low for me) and minimal exercise to heavy exercise 7 days a week and my weight has just slowly, steadily been creeping up since then. In May I got an iPhone and downloaded the MFP app and was 148 pounds, GW 145. At first I was netting their recommended 1640 calories (I wanted to lose .5/week) and eating back all exercise calories, meaning I was eating between 2200-2400 pretty steady. Friday I weighed in at 154 pounds, the highest I've been in over a year. My clothes are uncomfortably tight. I was getting ready to cut back calories even more. When I was maintaining at 144-ish, I was working out 3-4x/week and eating about 1600 calories... which obviously has screwed my metabolism to have gained 6 pounds in a month, working out 7 days a week and eating 2200-2400. So! Hoping that this 7 pound gain, plus any I gain while eating at full TDEE to reset, is only temporary. I'm not ready to buy bigger clothes and face family members who have been so proud of my weight loss... I felt like such a disappointment on Friday when the scale said 154. I feel like I'll be back at 205 before I know it. Day 1 of the reset down and so much more to go... god I hope this bloat and uncomfortable-ness is temporary
  • cca1229
    cca1229 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Beginning day 10, funny thing is although I've gained a pound I've lost inches....lol I am enjoying the eating, its gotten much easier, I've found a big breakfast really helps.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options

It's hard because I thought I'd already 'lost' - I started at 205 two years ago but maintained at 144-ish for several months (close to a year), but it wasn't until I had to take a break from working out (stress fractures) and then started back at the gym again that I realized I wasn't eating enough for how much I started working out. I went from 133 (which, at 5'10" with a large bone structure, was too low for me) and minimal exercise to heavy exercise 7 days a week and my weight has just slowly, steadily been creeping up since then. In May I got an iPhone and downloaded the MFP app and was 148 pounds, GW 145. At first I was netting their recommended 1640 calories (I wanted to lose .5/week) and eating back all exercise calories, meaning I was eating between 2200-2400 pretty steady. Friday I weighed in at 154 pounds, the highest I've been in over a year. My clothes are uncomfortably tight. I was getting ready to cut back calories even more. When I was maintaining at 144-ish, I was working out 3-4x/week and eating about 1600 calories... which obviously has screwed my metabolism to have gained 6 pounds in a month, working out 7 days a week and eating 2200-2400. So! Hoping that this 7 pound gain, plus any I gain while eating at full TDEE to reset, is only temporary. I'm not ready to buy bigger clothes and face family members who have been so proud of my weight loss... I felt like such a disappointment on Friday when the scale said 154. I feel like I'll be back at 205 before I know it. Day 1 of the reset down and so much more to go... god I hope this bloat and uncomfortable-ness is temporary

Just wanted to send a hug your way. Stick with it and your results will show that this is not you gaining it back. I've personally been down that road (losing it all only to gain it back plus more). I can relate to the feeling of disappointment and embarrassment that comes with that. But this is not the case here. This will be a temporary gain for long-term success so that you don't have to kill yourself day in and day out trying to maintain your loss! :flowerforyou:
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    Options

I am one day behind you! I am at 8 weeks as of July 4th. Time flies when you get to eat! I plan to do a 10% cut of my weight at that time, whatever that ends up being, lol.

I finish my 8 weeks of reset on July 3rd!! so let's do this together.. Plan to do 10% first as well. Taking it easy and slow to see if that is working well, if not then add 5% awesome!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Starting week 4 of the reset. Today was weigh in/measurement day gain of 0.2 pounds and no gain in inches!
    I feel blessed compared with others who are gaining larger numbers.

Last Thursday I injured my sacrum, so lifting and my fast walking has been put on hold for a while (continued to eat at the same TDEE). I've been doing some dynamic stretches, yoga poses, and saw the Chiro. Today I can sit with out having major pain! I think I'll wait a few more days before I do anything strenuous. Getting older is not for the weak (see links)!

http://www.insideedition.com/news/4418/meet-a-73-year-old-female-bodybuilder.aspx

http://archives.citypaper.net/articles/2006-08-03/naked.shtml

Hope everyone is doing well. Your bodies are loving you for this!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    So I got out my journal and counted the days since I started my reset (I'd kind of lost count). I'm on day 17 - woot! I didn't realize that I was that far along. I'll have 3 weeks of my reset completed after this coming Saturday. I still haven't decided if I'm doing the four week or the eight week reset. I'm really considering four, but I don't know. I might look back at my MFP progress reports and see how often I ate below BMR prior to EMTWL. Prior to that I know I was well over TDEE many days due to months worth of bingeing. Prior to that though I was on weight watchers (pretty sure that I was probably eating under BMR then). So I don't know. I want to do this right of course. But I don't know if I really need a full eight weeks. I definitely feel good energy most days (except today - couldn't sleep last night), hungry a lot (in a good way - thank you metabolism), and strong for workouts. So I feel like I could be cutting back down in another week. But I guess I have a whole week to decide!
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Okay, resetters. I'm feeling a little bit better today about resetting than I was yesterday. Yesterday was a tough day mentally!

Raynn1, thanks so much for your response to my post yesterday. It really helped me.:flowerforyou:

I'm curious, What do you all think of doing 8 weeks reset vs. 4 weeks vs. 6 wks vs. 10 weeks, etc.? Is 8 weeks really the magic number? What do you think it's based on?
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Okay, resetters. I'm feeling a little bit better today about resetting than I was yesterday. Yesterday was a tough day mentally!

Raynn1, thanks so much for your response to my post yesterday. It really helped me.:flowerforyou:

I'm curious, What do you all think of doing 8 weeks reset vs. 4 weeks vs. 6 wks vs. 10 weeks, etc.? Is 8 weeks really the magic number? What do you think it's based on?

I'd love to hear an answer on that. It's hard for me to know what the right amount for me is going to be.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options

I'd love to hear an answer on that. It's hard for me to know what the right amount for me is going to be.

Have you looked at the "New Videos" (1st sticky), if I remember correctly the answer is there...
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I think I am definitely going to be ready to cut when the time comes! I am only in my 3rd week of the reset but I was worried I was going to be loving eating this much that it was going to be hard to cut. But I am getting anxious to see some inches drop. I will most likely do the 10% cut and I also was considering making the last week a full reset/rest week before I start cut.

Tom has come around so I think feeling and looking all bloated again has definitely gotten me to be excited to cut, I am ready! Still working on getting my protein up there where it should be! I think my goal is 195 and I am usually within 20-30 of that. I know here and there its ok to not be all on in macros but it gives me something to work towards while I'm waiting for these weeks to pass!

Right now my main goal is to not gain anymore (inches). My trip with my bestie is still 4 weeks away and I bought some really cute dresses I want to be able to still fit into!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options

From what I've been able to ascertain, 8 weeks is the recommended amount. It seems to be the average time it takes for people to really settle into their new groove/metabolism level. I think that once you start going less than 8 weeks, you really are just taking the chance that your metabolism is ready/repaired and if you haven't had much low cal dieting before the reset, that might be all you need. (might being the operative word). However, after 8 weeks, I'm assuming the resulting success is much more reliable although some may need a little longer if the damage is sever. Kiki herself actually did 3 months. I personally have been raising calories now for a total of 10 weeks and doing the reset for 3 of those and I'm only now just seeing signs that my metabolism is speeding up.
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options

I am one day behind you! I am at 8 weeks as of July 4th. Time flies when you get to eat! I plan to do a 10% cut of my weight at that time, whatever that ends up being, lol.

I finish my 8 weeks of reset on July 3rd!! so let's do this together.. Plan to do 10% first as well. Taking it easy and slow to see if that is working well, if not then add 5% awesome!

Exactly what I was thinking! Great minds. . .
  • asidebottom
    Options
    Hiya

I am on day 28 so half way there. Feeling so much better over the past couple of days, the bloat seems to have gone down and clothes are fitting way better!

I have not weighed myself once :happy: so proud of that! The scales are in the bathroom but I refuse to get on them, as a once daily weigher that's a hell of a break through for me.

I haven't measured myself either, I am saving that for mid July when I finish this and part one of NROWL. I plan to take it from there.

Currently I am eating a round 2000 calories a day which is almost spot on TDEE according to my beloved fitbit, sometimes I even go over :drinker:

I feel so darn happy, life is so much nicer with food! I am off out tonight with the girls and I will eat what I fancy.

For those who are struggling with the early phases hang on in there, it does get better x
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options

From what I've been able to ascertain, 8 weeks is the recommended amount. It seems to be the average time it takes for people to really settle into their new groove/metabolism level. I think that once you start going less than 8 weeks, you really are just taking the chance that your metabolism is ready/repaired and if you haven't had much low cal dieting before the reset, that might be all you need. (might being the operative word). However, after 8 weeks, I'm assuming the resulting success is much more reliable although some may need a little longer if the damage is sever. Kiki herself actually did 3 months. I personally have been raising calories now for a total of 10 weeks and doing the reset for 3 of those and I'm only now just seeing signs that my metabolism is speeding up.

I think Lucia or Kiki mentioned the longer you have been vlcd, the longer you need to reset too. And I also have heard the football metaphor, you don't want to stop right when you are at the 1 yard line. I guess we won't really know until we try a small cut right? For me, I plan to do 8 weeks, but I am wondering if I should do more since I have been at this (weight loss) for a year and a half, but I want to at least try a small cut at 8 weeks. If I start to lose, I will continue and then do a reset week every 12 weeks or so. If I don't start to lose, I may go back to reset for a little while longer, instead of dropping cals like I would have in the past.
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone. At this point, I suppose I'll stick with the 8 weeks as I haven't really done VLC in a very long time. Except for my first 2 weeks on MFP in early April, I've eaten at least BMR and often more than that.

I think I'll do a 10% cut at 8 weeks on July 25th.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am doing 10 weeks. Not only have I been doing VLCD for like ever, but the 8-week point would have hit at the same time as our big summer vacation. That is not the time to cut, LOL!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I am doing 10 weeks. Not only have I been doing VLCD for like ever, but the 8-week point would have hit at the same time as our big summer vacation. That is not the time to cut, LOL!

Those crazy vacations can mess with our plans eh? I start my cut the week before my vacation...argh. But, for me there's a couple of factors that work in my favor...one, I'm in control of my food still since we're camping, and two, I'll be hiking a LOT so the bump in cardio at that time will be better than now when I'm in my reset and trying to put on muscle.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options

Those crazy vacations can mess with our plans eh? I start my cut the week before my vacation...argh. But, for me there's a couple of factors that work in my favor...one, I'm in control of my food still since we're camping, and two, I'll be hiking a LOT so the bump in cardio at that time will be better than now when I'm in my reset and trying to put on muscle.

Good morning ladies...day 20 for me. Not gaining, not losing. So far I'm only up 3 lbs and in general I feel great. Not looking forward to cutting, I love the food! My original plan was 6 Weeks. Not sure yet how long I'll stick this out. I do feel like its a roller disaster though. Yesterday my energy was returning and appetite was normalizing. Today I'm hungry and feel totally tired and drained.