Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in week twelve of reset. I gained about 4 pounds within the first couple of weeks and haven't gained anything since. At week eight, I decided to continue eating at maintenance a while longer. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just felt like I'd turned a corner and I didn't want to backslide or mess anything up. Finally, in week eleven, my weight trended down 1/2 to 1 pound (from the 4 pound gain) which was exciting. Then I revised my workout plan to a modified version of Stronglifts and my weight went back up that pound, but I think just due to muscle repair.

Wow, that's awesome, I am wondering the same thing as Noor, what are your plans for a cut?
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in week twelve of reset. I gained about 4 pounds within the first couple of weeks and haven't gained anything since. At week eight, I decided to continue eating at maintenance a while longer. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just felt like I'd turned a corner and I didn't want to backslide or mess anything up. Finally, in week eleven, my weight trended down 1/2 to 1 pound (from the 4 pound gain) which was exciting. Then I revised my workout plan to a modified version of Stronglifts and my weight went back up that pound, but I think just due to muscle repair.

Your patience inspires me. Good for you for listening to your body. I hope I can do the same. I really just want to plow into things when I decide to do them!
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Week 12? Wow! I am glad that your weight is starting to trend down. :) I'm in week 8; you give me hope! Great job on your plan and your willpower!!!!
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    What is a reset?

A reset is eating at your maintenance amount, or TDEE for a period of 4-8 weeks. It is meant to "reset" your metabolism to eat at the appropriate caloric level to maintain your weight, so then you can lose the weight properly, and not eat a very low cal (VLC) diet any more. When you end up undereating for long periods of time, your body has no idea when the next time you over indulge, if ita a binge or not. So by eating at TDEE, it shows your body that you are no longer going to starve it, and will fuel it correctly. So when you drop to your Cut value, the weight will come off in the RIGHT way..

Thanks for the insight. I've been eating more - but TDEE -15 or -20, depending on the day. I was eating VLc for so long and stuck for so long. I will try to eat all my TDEE, starting this weekend, and see how it goes. Hard to eat that much food!!!
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I haven't actually started eating TDEE yet. Right now I'm about 15% cut...some days alittle more. I have been doing this for about 9wks and had a gain of 6ish-lbs at first, which has stabilized over the last couple of weeks. I'm going to try and slowly increase my calories a few weeks at a time until I hit TDEE or start to gain again...still figuring it all out!!

Question: I have been working on getting my protein to 30% and done really well this week. Did anyone experience some major gas once they started increasing their protein? I bought protein powder and have been mixing it with water or in a smoothy. I've starting eating greek yogurt everyday, plus a hard boiled egg, string cheese, peanut butter, etc.
    I think today I'll hit 33%, which is HUGE for me since I was just doing the MFP recommended 15% for over a year, I never thought I'd be able to get up to 30%.

Anywho's thanks!
    Kate
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would reach to this point, but today it happened for the first time of 5 weeks EM2WL and 2 weeks into the reset.

I AM HUNGRY!

I used all my calories for today and I am still wanting more. I also lifted heavy today, so that makes me probably even more hungry:)
    I take it as a good sign!
    Hope you guys are all well
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    I never thought I would reach to this point, but today it happened for the first time of 5 weeks EM2WL and 2 weeks into the reset.

I AM HUNGRY!

I used all my calories for today and I am still wanting more. I also lifted heavy today, so that makes me probably even more hungry:)
    I take it as a good sign!
    Hope you guys are all well

AWESOME update! That hunger is a great sign!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Blah - that's just how I feel right now. I'm having a rough week. I'm kind of stretched thin right now - a lot of personal/financial blah. I've also noticeably been craving sweets - not something that's been a huge issue since starting EMTWL. The nice thing is that with the extra calories I'm usually able to work in something sweet so that I don't feel deprived. But I could be doing a bit better with food choices. I'm wondering if my first TOM (sorry TMI) since our youngest was born (he's 11 months) is around the corner. The fact that my knee is sore and I can't run right now, well, that's just icing on my cake as that's my way of relieving stress and getting through the blahs has been taken from me momentarily (melodramatic, I know). I'm going to try biking tomorrow morning and see if my knee feels okay with that. I'd like to swim as that would be the best in terms of low impact, but timing wise with my schedule and availability of the pool at our Y, I don't know if it will work out. Also wondering if my hypothyroid meds need upped again - just checked my temperature and it's only 96.05, but it could still go up, so I'll check it a few more times today to see if it makes it up to 98. Also wondering about adrenal fatigue, but can't afford the testing or treatment (none of which is covered by insurance). Blah blah blah blah. Anyways, sorry, I'm kind of having a pity party here, aren't I?
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I imagine at some point I will want to do a cut, I've certainly had moments during this time where I've thought, "enough of this, just do a little cut." But then I rethink. I have a history in my teens of disordered eating- very low calorie and then with the last few years as an adult I realize now I was undereating. I was eating very healthy foods but wasn't terribly active and I was happy with my weight so I coasted along eating an average of 1600-1800 calories. (I'm 5'9" and my BMF says even on lazy days I still burn 2000 calories) It has been in the back of my mind for years that it seemed I couldn't eat as much as what calculators predict without gaining weight, that I must have a slow metabolism.

If I really hadn't felt any different at the 8 week mark I would have done a cut, but I did feel stronger, more energized, more something. And while I'm not super happy about the 4 pounds, it isn't that much. I haven't undone all my years of work to lose and then maintain my weight, this is a small blip. So now, I'm curious to see what my body will do if I stay at this calorie level for a while longer. I realize I really don't mind the number on the scale anymore as long as I feel and look good. It's been a slow transformation but it is happening.
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I imagine at some point I will want to do a cut, I've certainly had moments during this time where I've thought, "enough of this, just do a little cut." But then I rethink. I have a history in my teens of disordered eating- very low calorie and then with the last few years as an adult I realize now I was undereating. I was eating very healthy foods but wasn't terribly active and I was happy with my weight so I coasted along eating an average of 1600-1800 calories. (I'm 5'9" and my BMF says even on lazy days I still burn 2000 calories) It has been in the back of my mind for years that it seemed I couldn't eat as much as what calculators predict without gaining weight, that I must have a slow metabolism.

If I really hadn't felt any different at the 8 week mark I would have done a cut, but I did feel stronger, more energized, more something. And while I'm not super happy about the 4 pounds, it isn't that much. I haven't undone all my years of work to lose and then maintain my weight, this is a small blip. So now, I'm curious to see what my body will do if I stay at this calorie level for a while longer. I realize I really don't mind the number on the scale anymore as long as I feel and look good. It's been a slow transformation but it is happening.

What an amazing and positive attitude!!!
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Blah - that's just how I feel right now. I'm having a rough week. I'm kind of stretched thin right now - a lot of personal/financial blah. I've also noticeably been craving sweets - not something that's been a huge issue since starting EMTWL. The nice thing is that with the extra calories I'm usually able to work in something sweet so that I don't feel deprived. But I could be doing a bit better with food choices. I'm wondering if my first TOM (sorry TMI) since our youngest was born (he's 11 months) is around the corner. The fact that my knee is sore and I can't run right now, well, that's just icing on my cake as that's my way of relieving stress and getting through the blahs has been taken from me momentarily (melodramatic, I know). I'm going to try biking tomorrow morning and see if my knee feels okay with that. I'd like to swim as that would be the best in terms of low impact, but timing wise with my schedule and availability of the pool at our Y, I don't know if it will work out. Also wondering if my hypothyroid meds need upped again - just checked my temperature and it's only 96.05, but it could still go up, so I'll check it a few more times today to see if it makes it up to 98. Also wondering about adrenal fatigue, but can't afford the testing or treatment (none of which is covered by insurance). Blah blah blah blah. Anyways, sorry, I'm kind of having a pity party here, aren't I?

Swimming would be good - but cycling is highly recommended as a good exercise for bad knees. Try a spinning class, or just get on a bike with some pumpin' tunes and match the pace as long as you can. Mix it up, and aim for at least 40 minutes. It's a great burn without the stress.
  • jen2swt
    jen2swt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So if my Daily calories based on goal in step 6is 1968, that's what I should be eating?

My TDEE is 2624
    Daily Calories 1968
    BMR is 1908

Still don't understand this all..lol
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    So if my Daily calories based on goal in step 6is 1968, that's what I should be eating?

My TDEE is 2624
    Daily Calories 1968
    BMR is 1908

Still don't understand this all..lol

If you're doing the reset you should be eating TDEE - 2624 every day - only eat more if your net calories for the day are below BMR.
  • aprilcharris
    aprilcharris Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been lurking in this group for a long time and decided it was time to finally post. I've been following EM2WL since March 25th and decided to do the reset on 6/2. I've looked at a numerous calculators and come up with an average of my stats which are:

Height: 5'1"
    BMR: 1378
    TDEE: 2136
    Cut: 15% 1816

I have been on a VLCD since May 2008. I joined Weight Watchers after having my second child and I lost nearly 55 lbs. I also began exercising and have worked up to regular exercise 6 days a week for the past 2 years. I have completed Insanity, TurboFire and Chalean Extreme as well as done numerous Jillian Michaels videos and running on the treadmill. I could never get under 141 lbs no matter how little I ate and how much I exercised. I don't eat completely clean and I'm not willing to give up baking cookies with my kids and having pizza when I want to. About a year and a half ago my weight was slowly going back up about 10-15 lbs and that is when I began Turbo Fire and I did get back down to 141.5. I lost a lot of inches with both Insanity and Turbo Fire but not a lot of weight.

When I began reading about EM2WL I knew it was probably scientifically accurate and reiterated a lot of information a friend who is very fitness minded had shared with me. I figured it was worth a try since I had been bouncing between 141-146 for the past couple of years. I looked back through my logs and I had been netting under 1000 calories most of the time. I upped my calories to 1800 on March 25. I definitely experienced a lot of bloat and felt scared at what I had plunged into but I really enjoyed eating more and feeling more relaxed about my calorie count. I eventually leveled out at 143.5 which was about where I started. When I got to about 8 weeks and I still wasn't losing I started seeing posts about the reset. It took me a few days of reading and research to decide to go for it. I upped my calories to 2100 on 6/2. It has been very difficult as I have felt my clothes getting tighter even though I know the reality that it isn't fat. At the doctor last week I weighed 149.8 fully clothed which isn't as bad as I had feared but was still discouraging. I put on my favorite jeans the other day and was miserable in them. I bought some summer skirts and even though they were more comfortable I was still unhappy with the belly and back fat situation that wasn't a previous issue. This morning, 2 weeks into reset, I woke up and felt thinner and tried on my favorite jeans again and they fit fine. A little snugger than at my thinnest but nothing like last week. It was the encouragement I needed. It seems for me I will feel really bloated for a few days and then thinner a day and then back to being bloated again.

I come here several times a day to read everyone's posts for encouragement. This is a hard journey. I really hope to invest these few months and not struggle throughout my life. I love food and I love to bake and cook and I don't want to always be sacrificing to save my calories. I am currently doing Chalean Extreme for the 2nd time. I do the lifting 3 days a week and alternate between Turbo Fire HIIT workouts, Chalean Extreme Interval workouts and the treadmill the other 2-3 days a week.
  • jen2swt
    jen2swt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this whole "reset" thing.

I'm just exercising and watching my calories wanting to lose weight. I just want the simplest terms and way to do it. I want to know how much I need to consume to lose weight with the workouts that I do.
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    April: "have been on a VLCD since May 2008. I joined Weight Watchers after having my second child and I lost nearly 55 lbs. I also began exercising and have worked up to regular exercise 6 days a week for the past 2 years. I have completed Insanity, TurboFire and Chalean Extreme as well as done numerous Jillian Michaels videos and running on the treadmill. I could never get under 141 lbs no matter how little I ate and how much I exercised. I don't eat completely clean and I'm not willing to give up baking cookies with my kids and having pizza when I want to. About a year and a half ago my weight was slowly going back up about 10-15 lbs and that is when I began Turbo Fire and I did get back down to 141.5. I lost a lot of inches with both Insanity and Turbo Fire but not a lot of weight."

This sounds so like me - LIttle older (50) but also 5'1", but I lost almost 80 pounds on WW and was within 5 pounds of goal when they changed the program to PPin 11/10 (and that was what... a year and a half ago? Coincidence?). I gained from 137 to 150-ish over that period of time despite being on program. So frustrating! I also upped my calories on 6/2 so we are right there together!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    I don't understand this whole "reset" thing.

I'm just exercising and watching my calories wanting to lose weight. I just want the simplest terms and way to do it. I want to know how much I need to consume to lose weight with the workouts that I do.

I'd suggest going through the stickies to understand what we're talking about. Many people are eating at maintenance for awhile to "reboot" their metabolism, like you'd do for a computer. Then we're dropping down to our cut value. I'd suggest reading through the other threads and watching the videos. Welcome and good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Well after day 10 of reset I have lost another 9 pounds in the past couple weeks so that's a good sign. I'm assuming though, that due to my 1200 calorie logic way of eating, it probably wasn't a good 9 pounds since my body fat percentage didn't change. Oh well at least I'm not gaining (knock on wood.)
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    FRIENDS, LUCIA? KIKI?... I'm REALLY STRUGGLING this morning! Here is where I am in the reset:

167: wt before EM2WL (May 15)
    172.8: wt after two weeks at 20% cut and 2.5 weeks at full TDEE (2180)!!

In 4.5 weeks:
    wt up 5.8 lb UGH!
    inches up 2.7" UGH!
    BF% up .25% DOUBLE UGH!

I am 5'4" and now weigh 172.8lb my husband who has been working out on P90 with me is 6'4" and has lost weight and now weighs 169lb!

I just don't know if I can take this! Despite lifting heavy weights and doing tons of pushups, crunches, squats, lunges, etc. with P90, my arms and thighs have new visible fat layers! I'm LOST!!!

I hadn't done VLCD in about 10 years. I would have thought that exercising hard and eating exactly what I'm burning I would just stay stable. There is visible (to more than just my eyes) increase in the fat to the sides of my breasts (that stupid fat!) How is this possible when I've not been dieting for many years!?

I just wonder why I'm doing this to myself.... Perhaps I'm not a reset or EM2LW candidate?

Do you think I should go to BMR (1550) and eat back exercise calories instead?

HEEELLLLPPPP!!
  • Shellza
    Shellza Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump for later