Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    So, a couple small things to report. Tomorrow marks the end of 3 weeks of my reset. I just started TOM today and unbelievably, I'm only up 1 extra pound from it! (I usually gain 4 so this is so strange!)

Plus, I worked out with a good friend yesterday and she said I looked strong, and better than I did 2 years ago which made me go "say what???!!" She said my body shape was changing and it looked better than before. When I told her that I was 30 pounds heavier than I was 3 years ago (so at least 20lbs heavier than 2 years ago) she looked confused...said that didn't make sense because I looked better now. :happy: So, even if I can't see it (and trust me...I'm NOT seeing it...I tend to be blind that way - and the tape measure isn't showing me anything either), she can. And she knows better than to bluff me with garbage compliments...lol. So that was such an encouragement to me that although I'm up 6 pounds on the scale (+ 1 more for TOM) I'm still LOOKING BETTER! I can only assume that my overall shape is changing and smoothing out which may not necessarily reflect on a tape measure because of where/how it's changing.

So, an encouragement to you all...keep it up! Once you hit cut and start to shed the fat layer, that awesome body you are growing underneath with your lifting is gonna SHINE!

I can't wait to rock mine! lol

I was getting ready for bed last night, washing my face in the bathroom. It was later than usual so I was leaning forward on the counter while taking my eye makeup off when I looked at my arms and seen this bump where a persons bicep is! I have always had muscle and definition, but not such noticeable biceps! You know I then started posing! My belly may be bigger but so are my muscles!!

LOL! Love it!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    So, a couple small things to report. Tomorrow marks the end of 3 weeks of my reset. I just started TOM today and unbelievably, I'm only up 1 extra pound from it! (I usually gain 4 so this is so strange!)

Plus, I worked out with a good friend yesterday and she said I looked strong, and better than I did 2 years ago which made me go "say what???!!" She said my body shape was changing and it looked better than before. When I told her that I was 30 pounds heavier than I was 3 years ago (so at least 20lbs heavier than 2 years ago) she looked confused...said that didn't make sense because I looked better now. :happy: So, even if I can't see it (and trust me...I'm NOT seeing it...I tend to be blind that way - and the tape measure isn't showing me anything either), she can. And she knows better than to bluff me with garbage compliments...lol. So that was such an encouragement to me that although I'm up 6 pounds on the scale (+ 1 more for TOM) I'm still LOOKING BETTER! I can only assume that my overall shape is changing and smoothing out which may not necessarily reflect on a tape measure because of where/how it's changing.

So, an encouragement to you all...keep it up! Once you hit cut and start to shed the fat layer, that awesome body you are growing underneath with your lifting is gonna SHINE!

Aww Yay!! what a great NSV!!! Im actually contemplating taking pics again, even though I havent lost any inches, in fact gained in some, and the weight is pretty much even, I wonder if there is anything different in my composition now..Im scared too though:)

I got back at the gym this morning after a 4 day gym rest. I really wanted to go for the full 7 day rest, but I just couldnt do it. I felt like a lump on a log and just felt awful about myself. But I did at least rest.. 4 days is longer than I have ever taken a break working out, so it was at least something different. GOt back to Stage II of NROL and we'll see how this nest stage goes
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    A friend asked me about the reset and this is what my response was. I'm posting it here for myself primarily as a confirmation and continued commitment. That way I can come back and reread it when I'm having one of "those" moments!

Great post! You ought to start yourself a blog and then it would be quickly and easily available to you.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'll be starting week four tomorrow. I'm starting to think that four weeks might be it for me. I just dont know about sticking it out for eight weeks. I just feel my body getting antsy - ready to move on. I feel good (despite my blah whiney day that I posted about earlier), rested, fueled, and ready. I don't know. I'm going to think hard this week. It could just be that my body is saying it's really ready or it could just be me being impatient with the process. Even though I started MFP in Feb., the months before were honestly a binge-fest for me after a failed weight watcher's attempt. I was only on MFP a month and a half before finding the eat more concept. Prior to that I ate my exercise calories a lot, so I was below BMR quite a bit, but not all the time. Of course once I found the eat more concept I started eating well over BMR every day - that was the beginning of April. I really think this might be my last week of reset before I go to a cut. Unless someone has a really good reason to talk me out of it....:tongue:
  • Raynn1
    Options
    I'll be starting week four tomorrow. I'm starting to think that four weeks might be it for me. I just dont know about sticking it out for eight weeks. I just feel my body getting antsy - ready to move on. I feel good (despite my blah whiney day that I posted about earlier), rested, fueled, and ready. I don't know. I'm going to think hard this week. It could just be that my body is saying it's really ready or it could just be me being impatient with the process. Even though I started MFP in Feb., the months before were honestly a binge-fest for me after a failed weight watcher's attempt. I was only on MFP a month and a half before finding the eat more concept. Prior to that I ate my exercise calories a lot, so I was below BMR quite a bit, but not all the time. Of course once I found the eat more concept I started eating well over BMR every day - that was the beginning of April. I really think this might be my last week of reset before I go to a cut. Unless someone has a really good reason to talk me out of it....:tongue:

Im giving it 4 weeks myself. All in all I will have been eating more for about 4 months by the time Im done in two weeks, with 12 weeks of that being at cut and above, so I am going to go back to cut and give it another shot. Heres hoping it will be all I need..
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Well I sure can't make you give it another four weeks but for the body to truly adjust to TDEE and reset the metabolism it really needs the time. My thought is why not complete the entire time so you won't second guess yourself down the line...you would have completed as described and have no doubt as to whether your body was ready or not. The antsy part is normal but this whole process is about patience and allowing our body to readjust after low caling for so long. We give low cals long periods but tend to not give eating a fair shot....

I'm in week six and wish I had done it in the beginning, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Lucia
  • macnurseapril
    macnurseapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    While I have not fell off the reset wagon yet, I fell off the hide the scale one. But I did notice something positive out of it.

I've been hitting almost 3000 (29-3000) for 5 weeks, TDEE should be 3092 and I am almost there most of the time. I'm feeling good, but I weighed in on Tuesday and I was 264 (again). But my clothes were loser (I know, I know I should have measured). So I WI again:
    Wed 262 (OMG I was ecstatic)
    Thur 263
    Fri 264
    Sat 264

I hid the scale, but it is so easy to get hooked back on weighing....

I've also noticed that those up fluctuations come when I drink less than 2.5 litres of water a day.

And I noticed that some refined sugars have been creeping back in, especially on low cal days (I had a massive bowl of ice cream on Wed to add 500 cals. I should have had a protein shake instead).

Props to all of us for toughing this out. It is such a mental game.
  • jyska
    Options

Well I sure can't make you give it another four weeks but for the body to truly adjust to TDEE and reset the metabolism it really needs the time. My thought is why not complete the entire time so you won't second guess yourself down the line...you would have completed as described and have no doubt as to whether your body was ready or not. The antsy part is normal but this whole process is about patience and allowing our body to readjust after low caling for so long. We give low cals long periods but tend to not give eating a fair shot....

I'm in week six and wish I had done it in the beginning, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Lucia

I agree. I just started week 4 and I'm antsy to cut, but even though I have also already spent 5 weeks before that at tdee - 15% (and a few weeks before that upping cals), I'm going to go the full 8. It's hard, and I really want to start losing, but I don't want to cut the process too short and cause problems later on. It's not easy when all you want to really do is start losing some pounds/inches, but if you can dig up enough patience to go another 4, I encourage you to do so.
  • Raynn1
    Options
    While I have not fell off the reset wagon yet, I fell off the hide the scale one. But I did notice something positive out of it.

I've been hitting almost 3000 (29-3000) for 5 weeks, TDEE should be 3092 and I am almost there most of the time. I'm feeling good, but I weighed in on Tuesday and I was 264 (again). But my clothes were loser (I know, I know I should have measured). So I WI again:
    Thur 263
    Fri 264
    Sat 264

I've also noticed that those up fluctuations come when I drink less than 2.5 litres of water a day.

And I noticed that some refined sugars have been creeping back in, especially on low cal days (I had a massive bowl of ice cream on Wed to add 500 cals. I should have had a protein shake instead).

I was surprised Ive been ok with not weighing daily. I was an addict there for a long while. Its been nice and relaxing to not have to step on that scale daily.. been a huge boost to my mental state. .. And I hear you on the refined sugars. Ive been noticing that a few times myself, hving a extra treat here and there because I have so many cals left.. working on it..
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options

Lucia

I agree. I just started week 4 and I'm antsy to cut, but even though I have also already spent 5 weeks before that at tdee - 15% (and a few weeks before that upping cals), I'm going to go the full 8. It's hard, and I really want to start losing, but I don't want to cut the process too short and cause problems later on. It's not easy when all you want to really do is start losing some pounds/inches, but if you can dig up enough patience to go another 4, I encourage you to do so.

Alright. I will dig deep. I didn't expect this waiting to be so hard. I don't know. I think I'm just feeling discouraged. I've started letting my eating go a bit and falling into the trap of "What the hell? Might as well eat this crap food so that I can get all my calories in for the day." I KNOW that's not the point of EMTWL. Plus I know I've been letting stress get to me in certain areas of my life, so I'm now all of a sudden struggling with healthy choices, logging food, and other things that up until this point had become second nature. Maybe that's why I feel the impatience to start my cut - it'll make me accountable to not shoving in an excess over TDEE everyday.

But I'm going to start fresh. Today is not done. I'm going to work hard to end very close to my TDEE and start week four strong. Maybe the whole "fake it 'til you make it" kind of mentality. I don't know - perhaps that awful fatigue that everyone's talked about has hit and maybe that's what I'm feeling.

Anyways, thanks for the encouragement. I really appreciate it and I needed to hear someone encourage me to keep going. Deep down I'm pretty sure that's the right choice for me - I just don't wanna - lol!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options

Thur 263
    Fri 264
    Sat 264

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said this is such a mental game! That's great that your clothes are looser. Hang in there!
  • Daphnemomof9
    Daphnemomof9 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It is so hard to decide how long to reset. I never really plateaued, and only did the VLCD for the first month or so of my weight loss journey, which started at the end of December 2011. I just kept my cals above my BMR and tried to shoot for a pound and half loss a week deficit. It wasn't always easy to keep it that close. So tomorrow marks my 3 weeks on reset and I'm having a super hard time having low calorie burn days. Today was supposed to be one, but I had some shopping to do and I managed to almost get to my proposed TDEE of 2750, well I pretty much did. I started the first week at 2550 and upped it as I went along finding that I was burning too much for that, I use a fitbit.

So I have a lot of physical labor looming ahead, mowing, log splitting and decluttering of barn buildings, with my husband being gone for seven week stretches, it falls to me. I've tried to hold back, so I wouldn't have to eat so much, which sounds so strange, but I think I will begin my cut tomorrow by burning more and keeping my food goal at 2750. I just have too much work to do, and I really want to get it done. I've been dreaming about having the energy to get this place all cleaned up for so long and now I have it. I don't want to hold back. I will attempt to not let the deficit become any more than 15%.

I had originally gained around 3 pounds the first week and lost a little over a pound of it the second week and have stayed pretty consistent since then, so what do you guys think. Does this sound like a plan? Or do you think I should try and eat even more and continue the reset a little longer?
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

Lucia

Alright. I will dig deep. I didn't expect this waiting to be so hard. I don't know. I think I'm just feeling discouraged. I've started letting my eating go a bit and falling into the trap of "What the hell? Might as well eat this crap food so that I can get all my calories in for the day." I KNOW that's not the point of EMTWL. Plus I know I've been letting stress get to me in certain areas of my life, so I'm now all of a sudden struggling with healthy choices, logging food, and other things that up until this point had become second nature. Maybe that's why I feel the impatience to start my cut - it'll make me accountable to not shoving in an excess over TDEE everyday.

But I'm going to start fresh. Today is not done. I'm going to work hard to end very close to my TDEE and start week four strong. Maybe the whole "fake it 'til you make it" kind of mentality. I don't know - perhaps that awful fatigue that everyone's talked about has hit and maybe that's what I'm feeling.

Anyways, thanks for the encouragement. I really appreciate it and I needed to hear someone encourage me to keep going. Deep down I'm pretty sure that's the right choice for me - I just don't wanna - lol!
    Hang in there. Another 4 weeks is noting compared to the years we (at least me) have been on VLCD. I know it can be really hard at times to keep it up. But you can do it. Just stay strong.
    Stress can be evil and can throw us off the way easily. But don't be upset about what happened-look forward and say to yourself that you can do it. You are one strong lady.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options

Well that's what I would call a proper NSV! Way to go girl!

Yes. This is awesome! :happy:
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options

Lucia

Hang in there. Another 4 weeks is noting compared to the years we (at least me) have been on VLCD. I know it can be really hard at times to keep it up. But you can do it. Just stay strong.
    Stress can be evil and can throw us off the way easily. But don't be upset about what happened-look forward and say to yourself that you can do it. You are one strong lady.

:flowerforyou: Thanks!
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It is so hard to decide how long to reset. I never really plateaued, and only did the VLCD for the first month or so of my weight loss journey, which started at the end of December 2011. I just kept my cals above my BMR and tried to shoot for a pound and half loss a week deficit. It wasn't always easy to keep it that close. So tomorrow marks my 3 weeks on reset and I'm having a super hard time having low calorie burn days. Today was supposed to be one, but I had some shopping to do and I managed to almost get to my proposed TDEE of 2750, well I pretty much did. I started the first week at 2550 and upped it as I went along finding that I was burning too much for that, I use a fitbit.

So I have a lot of physical labor looming ahead, mowing, log splitting and decluttering of barn buildings, with my husband being gone for seven week stretches, it falls to me. I've tried to hold back, so I wouldn't have to eat so much, which sounds so strange, but I think I will begin my cut tomorrow by burning more and keeping my food goal at 2750. I just have too much work to do, and I really want to get it done. I've been dreaming about having the energy to get this place all cleaned up for so long and now I have it. I don't want to hold back. I will attempt to not let the deficit become any more than 15%.

I had originally gained around 3 pounds the first week and lost a little over a pound of it the second week and have stayed pretty consistent since then, so what do you guys think. Does this sound like a plan? Or do you think I should try and eat even more and continue the reset a little longer?

I say go for it. I have found in life if I have the energy to do something big, get it done! If you feel like your body is being stressed too much, then just feed it a little more to make up for some of the work, but otherwise, I don't see why you can't start a cut with extra movement rather than less food. Just my opinion, someone correct me if I am wrong :) It's not like you are going out marathon training, you are doing something you need to get done, it sounds like a win-win.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my cut a little early! I've been maintaining for about 6 weeks now and know that after still eating TDEE it hasn't moved. I think before when I was loosely calculating cals, I was eating at or above TDEE. I am starting my 15% cut today, at 2021 cals. I just cannot remember what macros should be set at???
  • jyska
    Options
    Well, just thought I'd check in. Nothing great to report...just pushing through TOM week which is making me miserable. I'm into my 4th week of reset now. I gained 1 lb from it, but TOM has me up another 3 as of today. (fyi that puts me at 8lbs up total since starting EM2WL) My fat clothes are tight, my skin is tight from water retention to the point it aches, my mood sucks, my appetite is gone (not good during reset) and all I want to do is start my cut...sigh.

BUT, I know that in about a week, the extra 3 lbs will be gone, my body won't be bloated and gross feeling anymore and my appetite will be back. Plus my mood will be better..hehe.

So, trudging on....
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Well, just thought I'd check in. Nothing great to report...just pushing through TOM week which is making me miserable. I'm into my 4th week of reset now. I gained 1 lb from it, but TOM has me up another 3 as of today. (fyi that puts me at 8lbs up total since starting EM2WL) My fat clothes are tight, my skin is tight from water retention to the point it aches, my mood sucks, my appetite is gone (not good during reset) and all I want to do is start my cut...sigh.

BUT, I know that in about a week, the extra 3 lbs will be gone, my body won't be bloated and gross feeling anymore and my appetite will be back. Plus my mood will be better..hehe.

So, trudging on....

((HUGS)) This is such a hard process. I'm in my 4th week. I'm going to hang in there and get to the full eight. We'll be starting our cut around the same time. It will be so fun to see the inches and pounds melt away once we get to that point. TOM makes everything harder and makes it all feel worse. Hopefully you'll feel better soon.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Bump to read all the new posts for later... going into week 5 tomorrow... it's going to be harder to track, because I will be out of town...that being said, I have been stable since TOM ended...and even though I still feel gross and semi-bloaty... I DO think a lot of it IS water weight. I have an omrom Bodyfat monitor, and measured it at my * current* weight since reset started... even though it is technically up a bit, my lean body mass is actually higher because my total weight is slightly more.. so not sure what to make of that...but lean mass up is always good, right? lol. My scale shows water % too..and that was higher then normal also...

I also had to go shopping yesterday for some shorts ( going to Atlanta this week...and had NO shorts.....not a fan of death by heat. LOL. ). Still in the same sizes... though some of my jeans are a lil' snug... due to the bloating I think....so thinking this is working... I think I might start with maybe a 5% cut when i return and see what happens since I've been stable for almost 2 weeks if that sticks while I am gone.... we shall see!!!