Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    FRIENDS, LUCIA? KIKI?... I'm REALLY STRUGGLING this morning! Here is where I am in the reset:

167: wt before EM2WL (May 15)
    172.8: wt after two weeks at 20% cut and 2.5 weeks at full TDEE (2180)!!

In 4.5 weeks:
    wt up 5.8 lb UGH!
    inches up 2.7" UGH!
    BF% up .25% DOUBLE UGH!

I am 5'4" and now weigh 172.8lb my husband who has been working out on P90 with me is 6'4" and has lost weight and now weighs 169lb!

I just don't know if I can take this! Despite lifting heavy weights and doing tons of pushups, crunches, squats, lunges, etc. with P90, my arms and thighs have new visible fat layers! I'm LOST!!!

I hadn't done VLCD in about 10 years. I would have thought that exercising hard and eating exactly what I'm burning I would just stay stable. There is visible (to more than just my eyes) increase in the fat to the sides of my breasts (that stupid fat!) How is this possible when I've not been dieting for many years!?

I just wonder why I'm doing this to myself.... Perhaps I'm not a reset or EM2LW candidate?

Do you think I should go to BMR (1550) and eat back exercise calories instead?

HEEELLLLPPPP!!

Good morning, I heard your cry this morning and ran over here to see what's happening. Ok, first, whew, take a deep breath first off, let's take a look at a few things:

1. You said your BMR is 1550 so did you select an activity level of "Light active"?

2. Are you making sure to net your BMR on workout days

3. What is your workout routine, because based on what I just read it sounds like the next level up from moderate

4. I will be taking a look at your diary.

Ok, honestly, 4.5 wks and up 5.8lbs really isn't that bad. If started your heavy lifting during that time, there are so many other factors...glycogen stores in the muscles increase to prepare for the strenuous lifting, water retention from lifting. Also, sometimes you can appear a bit more fatty when the fat is being burned off, water sort of fills the cells and then at some point just releases...called the "whoosh" effect and I have had that happen twice in this journey where it was like one morning I was just leaner when the night before I was feeling so lumpy. Not saying this is absolutely the case, but it could be a possibility.

There is a vid in the list that I think you should watch. It is the first in the Nuggests series. If you in a place where you are exercising extremely hard and not eating enough calories, your body can still hold the weight. You have to make sure you are using the right activity level and that your macros are in line as well.

But again, I will go check your diary real quick...then off to work I go, so I may not get a chance to pop back on until later....again, whew, deep breath. I have been where you are...you have to hold fast and determine where the problem (if there is one) lies. It could be your body is adjusting, but again we will take a look at all the variables....

Lucia:flowerforyou:
    Ps...did you take another big sigh...ok, good:smile:

Ok, I took a look at your diary....you have been consistent this week with your numbers and you do awesomely well getting in that protein...HIGH FIVE:love: ... however, after reviewing two weeks, I noted... last week you bounced up and down between 1600ish and a TDEE number (which I noticed your TDEE goal changed a few times during the two week time frame) There was one high calorie burn I noted that had you below BMR.

Ok, so listen, the body reacts according to what we do and you have been a little inconsistent. If you really want to give this program a go, the first thing is recalculate your TDEE using the correct activity level. Be completely honest with the number of hours you are working out a week. Then be consistent with eating that amount daily...every single day...continue to lift heavy, do maybe 2 thirty minute fat blasting HIIT sessions, and relax in the process. Stress causes the release of cortisol which is a contributor to the dreaded belly fat...so, take a deep breath and let's do this thing together!
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    I haven't actually started eating TDEE yet. Right now I'm about 15% cut...some days alittle more. I have been doing this for about 9wks and had a gain of 6ish-lbs at first, which has stabilized over the last couple of weeks. I'm going to try and slowly increase my calories a few weeks at a time until I hit TDEE or start to gain again...still figuring it all out!!

Question: I have been working on getting my protein to 30% and done really well this week. Did anyone experience some major gas once they started increasing their protein? I bought protein powder and have been mixing it with water or in a smoothy. I've starting eating greek yogurt everyday, plus a hard boiled egg, string cheese, peanut butter, etc.
    I think today I'll hit 33%, which is HUGE for me since I was just doing the MFP recommended 15% for over a year, I never thought I'd be able to get up to 30%.

Anywho's thanks!
    Kate

Kate,

Yes, your body will adjust to the higher levels of protein in a week or so. :) Yes, your "symptoms" are common. ;) Drink lots of water. HTH
  • jen2swt
    jen2swt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm so afraid to try this reboot and eat that many calories. My TDEE is 2630..that's HUGE
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    FRIENDS, LUCIA? KIKI?... I'm REALLY STRUGGLING this morning! Here is where I am in the reset:

In 4.5 weeks:
    wt up 5.8 lb UGH!
    inches up 2.7" UGH!
    BF% up .25% DOUBLE UGH!

I am 5'4" and now weigh 172.8lb my husband who has been working out on P90 with me is 6'4" and has lost weight and now weighs 169lb!

I just don't know if I can take this! Despite lifting heavy weights and doing tons of pushups, crunches, squats, lunges, etc. with P90, my arms and thighs have new visible fat layers! I'm LOST!!!

I hadn't done VLCD in about 10 years. I would have thought that exercising hard and eating exactly what I'm burning I would just stay stable. There is visible (to more than just my eyes) increase in the fat to the sides of my breasts (that stupid fat!) How is this possible when I've not been dieting for many years!?

I just wonder why I'm doing this to myself.... Perhaps I'm not a reset or EM2LW candidate?

HEEELLLLPPPP!!

Hey lady! Hang in there. Do the full 8 weeks; you *will* gain, but you've gotta understand your body is working to repair itself from the VLCD for SO long! I just wanted to let you know that I am right there with you. I have gained - a LOT - according to the scale. Struggling to deal with it, too! But, we can do this. It is so much harder than just restricting, but it will be better for you in the long run. Keep up with your reset for the full 8 weeks - you need it! Hugs!!
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options

In 4.5 weeks:
    wt up 5.8 lb UGH!
    inches up 2.7" UGH!
    BF% up .25% DOUBLE UGH!

HEEELLLLPPPP!!

Good morning, I heard your cry this morning and ran over here to see what's happening. Ok, first, whew, take a deep breath first off, let's take a look at a few things:

1. You said your BMR is 1550 so did you select an activity level of "Light active"?

3. What is your workout routine, because based on what I just read it sounds like the next level up from moderate

Ok, honestly, 4.5 wks and up 5.8lbs really isn't that bad. If started your heavy lifting during that time, there are so many other factors...glycogen stores in the muscles increase to prepare for the strenuous lifting, water retention from lifting. Also, sometimes you can appear a bit more fatty when the fat is being burned off, water sort of fills the cells and then at some point just releases...called the "whoosh" effect and I have had that happen twice in this journey where it was like one morning I was just leaner when the night before I was feeling so lumpy. Not saying this is absolutely the case, but it could be a possibility.

There is a vid in the list that I think you should watch. It is the first in the Nuggests series. If you in a place where you are exercising extremely hard and not eating enough calories, your body can still hold the weight. You have to make sure you are using the right activity level and that your macros are in line as well.

But again, I will go check your diary real quick...then off to work I go, so I may not get a chance to pop back on until later....again, whew, deep breath. I have been where you are...you have to hold fast and determine where the problem (if there is one) lies. It could be your body is adjusting, but again we will take a look at all the variables....

Ok, I took a look at your diary....you have been consistent this week with your numbers and you do awesomely well getting in that protein...HIGH FIVE:love: ... however, after reviewing two weeks, I noted... last week you bounced up and down between 1600ish and a TDEE number (which I noticed your TDEE goal changed a few times during the two week time frame) There was one high calorie burn I noted that had you below BMR.

Ok, so listen, the body reacts according to what we do and you have been a little inconsistent. If you really want to give this program a go, the first thing is recalculate your TDEE using the correct activity level. Be completely honest with the number of hours you are working out a week. Then be consistent with eating that amount daily...every single day...continue to lift heavy, do maybe 2 thirty minute fat blasting HIIT sessions, and relax in the process. Stress causes the release of cortisol which is a contributor to the dreaded belly fat...so, take a deep breath and let's do this thing together!

Lucia, Thank you SO much for hearing my anguish and responding!! I know time is valuable and I appreciate your willingness to help me this morning!

Last week was very stressful (a positive stress, but still stress) and busy and we did not exercise M-Sat. Yes, a few days I did not reach TDEE, but figured it would balance out with my decreased energy output. This week I've been back to exercising and eating full TDEE. I set my activity level to 3-5 hours/wk. P90 cardio is 45 min 3xwk and P90 strength is 30 min 3xwk. So, I think I have my TDEE calculated correctly. I used my BMF and I average 2180/day. Sometimes we bicycle for 20 miles or so, but I still stay above BMR.

That hardest thing is that the first month on MFP I lost 5 lb. Then I found EM2WL and 4 1/2 weeks later gained 5.8 lb and am now 0.8lb above where I started in April. I'm working SO hard to do this right, and feeling like I'm making myself look so much worse. Especially when I now weigh MORE than my husband who is a foot taller than me. ICK!!
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options

In 4.5 weeks:
    wt up 5.8 lb UGH!
    inches up 2.7" UGH!
    BF% up .25% DOUBLE UGH!

HEEELLLLPPPP!!

Lucia, Thank you SO much for hearing my anguish and responding!! I know time is valuable and I appreciate your willingness to help me this morning!

Last week was very stressful (a positive stress, but still stress) and busy and we did not exercise M-Sat. Yes, a few days I did not reach TDEE, but figured it would balance out with my decreased energy output. This week I've been back to exercising and eating full TDEE. I set my activity level to 3-5 hours/wk. P90 cardio is 45 min 3xwk and P90 strength is 30 min 3xwk. So, I think I have my TDEE calculated correctly. I used my BMF and I average 2180/day. Sometimes we bicycle for 20 miles or so, but I still stay above BMR.

That hardest thing is that the first month on MFP I lost 5 lb. Then I found EM2WL and 4 1/2 weeks later gained 5.8 lb and am now 0.8lb above where I started in April. I'm working SO hard to do this right, and feeling like I'm making myself look so much worse. Especially when I now weigh MORE than my husband who is a foot taller than me. ICK!!

Lucia always answers everything so beautifully, I have nothing to add. Just wanted to give you a hug. It's so hard looking at that ticker go the other direction when you worked so hard to get it there in the first place. I just keep reminding myself that I'm in an 8 week learning phase. I'm learning a whole new way of working out with strength training and not just a bunch of cardio, my body is learning how to take in all this nutrition and use it as effectively as it was using the little bits of food I was feeding it before. My scale climbed and now has level off. I just smile at it, thank it for the information, and head out the door. Hope today is a better day for you. Again, hugs . . .
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Day 17 of my reset. A bit sore today from strength training yesterday, but that good kind of soreness. Going to try to ride my bike this morning, but might just make this my rest day. We're going to the zoo tomorrow with a ton of walking (and a very cool train ride) and Sunday I'm lifting again. I still seem to be in "maintenance" mode and my scale is fairly stable. A few ounces up, then a few down. Today is a bit up because of my sodium insanity. NBD, as my husband constantly says. (Why on earth he talks in text I have no clue!)

My problem is irritation with MFP friends who don't understand what I'm doing. I've tried to be clear that my goal right now is simply to maintain and reset. It's on my dairy every day. I've gotten comments the last couple of days "you need to eat less, work out more" and then "how is all this extra eating on the scale?" Ummm, if I needed help figuring out why my weight isn't moving, I'd ask for it. Anyone else tempted to just unfriend people like that? I try to be supportive no matter what people are choosing to do.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Has anyone doing the reset basically staying the same weight wise? Im into my 3rd week at TDEE, and basically I have been the same weight. The 8 or so weeks prior I was at my cut value and still was holding strong at about the same weight. Its fluctuated up and down over the past three months, but essentially I have been within three pounds of where I started back IN march of eating more.

Im only at TDEE a few weeks, and I had an initial drop of a few pounds after the first week (same pounds Ive been back and forth with), but its been holding here pretty much through.

I almost feel like its not right?? I am at TDEE, and I am essentially maintaining my weight, so whats the problem, right?? But Im hearing so muich of people at tdee in here gaining weight..and I dont seem to be doing that.. So should I be worried that Im not gaining? Or for once in my life, is something finally going "right" for me?:)
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Good morning girls! Day 22 (I think) for me. Im feeling FANTASTIC!!! TOM is over and I am a daily weigher, so noticing the scale trending down...not that I even care all that much because Im feeling great. But fyi...Im only up a pound from when I started so I feel great about things. Im noticing some great progress in my lifts too. Ive made the decision to do the full 8 weeks on reset. Need to make sure to keep my eating clean though...this is not an excuse to overeat.
    Btw missdimpley turned me onto powercakes, and I made my first one this morning. It feels like such a treat, but full of superfoods! The website is www.powercakes.net if anyone is interested.

Have a great day!
  • elly1979
    elly1979 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm at TDEE for about 16 days now. Very much bouncing around the same 1-1.5 pound as I started. I'm thrilled my gain has been too minimal to even note. It feels to me like i hit my true TDEE, so I'm curious to see how cut will go :)
  • Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Has anyone doing the reset basically staying the same weight wise? Im into my 3rd week at TDEE, and basically I have been the same weight. The 8 or so weeks prior I was at my cut value and still was holding strong at about the same weight. Its fluctuated up and down over the past three months, but essentially I have been within three pounds of where I started back IN march of eating more.

Im only at TDEE a few weeks, and I had an initial drop of a few pounds after the first week (same pounds Ive been back and forth with), but its been holding here pretty much through.

I almost feel like its not right?? I am at TDEE, and I am essentially maintaining my weight, so whats the problem, right?? But Im hearing so muich of people at tdee in here gaining weight..and I dont seem to be doing that.. So should I be worried that Im not gaining? Or for once in my life, is something finally going "right" for me?:)

Were you at a 15% cut previously?

I've been wondering how the gains people see are directly connected with the amount of time at large deficits and how large the deficit was. Meaning, if there was a 30% reduction for an extended period of time previously, is that person gaining more and at a faster pace than the person with say a 20% reduction for a much shorter time frame.
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm at TDEE for about 16 days now. Very much bouncing around the same 1-1.5 pound as I started. I'm thrilled my gain has been too minimal to even note. It feels to me like i hit my true TDEE, so I'm curious to see how cut will go :)

That's where I am as far as weight, still bouncing between 120-121, same weight for months now.

Ending week 3 now of eating at tdee. This week has been a rest week, been very sick and only did some weights on Monday, other than that, no workouts at all all week. Have to go shopping today so at least Ill get to walk a bit. ;p

I may give this one more week and then up to 1800 and see if I can still maintain at that and go from there.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I got on here today to give some encouragement to Tenpets but I think Lucia said it all....Just remember that we are ALL in this together and we ALL started at the perfect time b/c so many of us are doing it at the same time and we are ALL here to support and motivate each other through this. - That was a very long run on sentence..Sorry...lol But just remember that and remember:

WE CAN DO THIS!!!! Together!! :)
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Were you at a 15% cut previously?

I've been wondering how the gains people see are directly connected with the amount of time at large deficits and how large the deficit was. Meaning, if there was a 30% reduction for an extended period of time previously, is that person gaining more and at a faster pace than the person with say a 20% reduction for a much shorter time frame.

Yeah I was at my cut for about 8-10 weeks prior. I did stepping stones from the VLC diet when I first began, to my BMR for a few weeks, then my Cut, and now TDEE.. each time Ive been basically maintaining. When I first would jump up in the cals, the weight would drop big, then go back up a bit and then stabilize. but esentially its all been the same. Im basically right around the same weight when I began 3 months ago, which in itself is great to know that I am maintaining my weight and eating 1400 cals more a day:)...

This week is a rest week, so theres been zero exercise but I have been eating my normal TDEE, so this week is sort of an increase in cals I suppose. So I guess ill see what the scale says next week.

I just feel a bit of I guess, hearing so many people gain when they get to tdee, and I havent really had a gain here
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm so afraid to try this reboot and eat that many calories. My TDEE is 2630..that's HUGE

My TDEE is 2643 but I usually go over! I'll log my breakfast, mid-morning snack and lunch then groan when I only have about 1,000 or so calories for the rest of the day :tongue:

I am always trying to reach my protein and that uses a lot of calories. I always go over on fats but they are healthy so I don't worry about it too much. Just adding things like cheese, avocado, hummus and nut butters really add up quick!
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I was without internet for a couple days and could only use the app but figured maybe it was a good thing no one had to hear me whine! I was having some pretty rough days there but now catching up with everyone it looks like a trend :grumble:

I think I feel better today. I thought going over my TDEE last week caught up with me but while that may still be true, I think it was also TOM and an overload of sodium. Before EM2WL I could easily keep my sodium at 1500-2000. Now its always over 2,000 and a few days there it was over 2500! Still feel like my belly is bloated but not quite as bad. Plus my running has seemed off. I feel like my legs are made of lead. To make matters worse I run with a stroller and no matter which direction I turn, that d*** wind is plowing against me!

I am 20 days into the reset. I am impressed with those of you going longer than the 8 weeks! :love: I am getting excited for the cut and to see if I will lose but if I get to the 8 wks and feel like maybe I should go longer then I will.

I do think my legs look more firm and my arms so that makes me happy. I have mentioned before buying dresses to wear during my vegas trip so my goal is to be able to still wear them and I think the nicer my arms and legs look, the more of an illusion it will create and keep eyes away from my gut! :laugh:
  • aprilcharris
    aprilcharris Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This sounds so like me - LIttle older (50) but also 5'1", but I lost almost 80 pounds on WW and was within 5 pounds of goal when they changed the program to PPin 11/10 (and that was what... a year and a half ago? Coincidence?). I gained from 137 to 150-ish over that period of time despite being on program. So frustrating! I also upped my calories on 6/2 so we are right there together!
    [/quote]

Hi SK! Yes, the change in WW definitely made a difference. At first it was great, it kind of reenergized me after being on WW for so long but then I started to gain. Thanks for posting. It's nice to have someone at the exact same point in this journey.
  • opalmel
    opalmel Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Well I am two weeks into my reset trying to eat at TDEE and failing miserably. My TDEE is 2464 and I'm lucky if I make it to 2100 most days. This week has not been so bad but last week I was struggling to eat 2000. I am feeling really bloated and I know I have gained a couple inches around the waist.
    I've gained 3 lbs on the scale and that is not so bad I guess because of all the food I am eating. I am so full all the time and usually have to struggle to eat my calories in the evening. This week I started the Insanity workout and that is the only thing I am doing right now.
    I'm hoping to stick with this a few more weeks but the gain in weight and inches is very discouraging.
  • Rebekah2918
    Rebekah2918 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I am interested to see the replies on this one. I am in the same boat, week 3 and bouncing between the same 3 pounds. No gain.