Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Has anyone doing the reset basically staying the same weight wise? Im into my 3rd week at TDEE, and basically I have been the same weight. The 8 or so weeks prior I was at my cut value and still was holding strong at about the same weight. Its fluctuated up and down over the past three months, but essentially I have been within three pounds of where I started back IN march of eating more.

Im only at TDEE a few weeks, and I had an initial drop of a few pounds after the first week (same pounds Ive been back and forth with), but its been holding here pretty much through.

I almost feel like its not right?? I am at TDEE, and I am essentially maintaining my weight, so whats the problem, right?? But Im hearing so muich of people at tdee in here gaining weight..and I dont seem to be doing that.. So should I be worried that Im not gaining? Or for once in my life, is something finally going "right" for me?:)

I am interested to see the replies on this one. I am in the same boat, week 3 and bouncing between the same 3 pounds. No gain.

I also spent 7 weeks upping cals (5 of which I spent at tdee - 15%). I am now just over 2 1/2 weeks into my reset and I've only gained 1lb. TOM's on it's way though so the scaled has jumped another pound, but I'm not worrying about that one right now...in a week or two I'll see where I level out at again.

One of the common themes I seem to be seeing is that those who jump right into the reset are gaining more than those who started at tdee - 15% then upped to reset. I assume it's because the initial gain has already been done....where as those jumping right in to reset haven't had the initial gain yet. This is not true for everyone, but seems to be a trend from what I'm reading....Anyone else notice that??

If you don't gain ANYTHING in the reset, then it might be you haven't found your true tdee yet I'm not sure....you could try to raise cals by another 100 after 4 weeks and just see what happens if you are worried about it.
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I am starting this thing slowly. My first step was to reset my calories in MFP to my BMR as reported by the scooby site which is 1649, and then eat back any calories burned for the day... well... I haven't even been very successfull at this. I still manage to only barely eat the 1649 net, most days I am netting around 1300-1400. :( Only been at it about a week. I need to plan my days more, but I am either just not hungry or don't have enough easy food around that I can eat while I am working... I have added protein powders to my routine just to get some extra cals and protein in. I haven't really gained or lost anything in over a month, so that that is frustaiting.. I though I had lost a pound before I started this, but just gained it back. I want to up my cals to my 15% TDEE cut which would be 2100-ish (reporting with moderate effort), but I can't even eat 1649! ugg!

side note... I do P90X at least 3 times per week so far, and throw in a cardio session/ Slim in 6 video at least one of my off days.
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I got on here today to give some encouragement to Tenpets but I think Lucia said it all....Just remember that we are ALL in this together and we ALL started at the perfect time b/c so many of us are doing it at the same time and we are ALL here to support and motivate each other through this. - That was a very long run on sentence..Sorry...lol But just remember that and remember:

WE CAN DO THIS!!!! Together!! :)

Thank you, Autumn. It's so hard when you think to yourself "I'm doing this to myself on purpose?"! 51/2 more weeks...
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I got on here today to give some encouragement to Tenpets but I think Lucia said it all....Just remember that we are ALL in this together and we ALL started at the perfect time b/c so many of us are doing it at the same time and we are ALL here to support and motivate each other through this. - That was a very long run on sentence..Sorry...lol But just remember that and remember:

WE CAN DO THIS!!!! Together!! :)

Thank you, Autumn. It's so hard when you think to yourself "I'm doing this to myself on purpose?"! 51/2 more weeks...

Remember this reset is to get your metabolism burning where it was intended to burn for your activity level, so you no longer have to run at super low numbers to lose. You can cycle between a 10-15% cut cycle and TDEE to lose...

I know it is hard, but I suggest sticking with it.

THINK about this...if I had not STUCK with this process or Kiki...so many people wouldn't be benefiting right now. I'm thankful I stuck it out because God knows I was miserable eating low cals! Hun, it is a huge hurdle the first couple of months...but well worth it. If you stick it out...you can PM me if you would like exactly where you are and I will help walk you through the rest...:-)
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Has anyone doing the reset basically staying the same weight wise? Im into my 3rd week at TDEE, and basically I have been the same weight. The 8 or so weeks prior I was at my cut value and still was holding strong at about the same weight. Its fluctuated up and down over the past three months, but essentially I have been within three pounds of where I started back IN march of eating more.

Im only at TDEE a few weeks, and I had an initial drop of a few pounds after the first week (same pounds Ive been back and forth with), but its been holding here pretty much through.

I almost feel like its not right?? I am at TDEE, and I am essentially maintaining my weight, so whats the problem, right?? But Im hearing so muich of people at tdee in here gaining weight..and I dont seem to be doing that.. So should I be worried that Im not gaining? Or for once in my life, is something finally going "right" for me?:)

Were you at a 15% cut previously?

I've been wondering how the gains people see are directly connected with the amount of time at large deficits and how large the deficit was. Meaning, if there was a 30% reduction for an extended period of time previously, is that person gaining more and at a faster pace than the person with say a 20% reduction for a much shorter time frame.

Yeah I was at my cut for about 8-10 weeks prior. I did stepping stones from the VLC diet when I first began, to my BMR for a few weeks, then my Cut, and now TDEE.. each time Ive been basically maintaining. When I first would jump up in the cals, the weight would drop big, then go back up a bit and then stabilize. but esentially its all been the same. Im basically right around the same weight when I began 3 months ago, which in itself is great to know that I am maintaining my weight and eating 1400 cals more a day:)...

This week is a rest week, so theres been zero exercise but I have been eating my normal TDEE, so this week is sort of an increase in cals I suppose. So I guess ill see what the scale says next week.

I just feel a bit of I guess, hearing so many people gain when they get to tdee, and I havent really had a gain here

Well since you haven't been working out this week, in theory you should gain a little this week. Then you know you are at your right TDEE when you are working out, because right now you are eating in essence above your TDEE. Keep me posted.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

THINK about this...if I had not STUCK with this process or Kiki...so many people wouldn't be benefiting right now. I'm thankful I stuck it out because God knows I was miserable eating low cals! Hun, it is a huge hurdle the first couple of months...but well worth it. If you stick it out...you can PM me if you would like exactly where you are and I will help walk you through the rest...:-)

You guys are just so awesome and helpful:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I just wanna hug you :)
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Were you at a 15% cut previously?

I've been wondering how the gains people see are directly connected with the amount of time at large deficits and how large the deficit was. Meaning, if there was a 30% reduction for an extended period of time previously, is that person gaining more and at a faster pace than the person with say a 20% reduction for a much shorter time frame.

Yeah I was at my cut for about 8-10 weeks prior. I did stepping stones from the VLC diet when I first began, to my BMR for a few weeks, then my Cut, and now TDEE.. each time Ive been basically maintaining. When I first would jump up in the cals, the weight would drop big, then go back up a bit and then stabilize. but esentially its all been the same. Im basically right around the same weight when I began 3 months ago, which in itself is great to know that I am maintaining my weight and eating 1400 cals more a day:)...

This week is a rest week, so theres been zero exercise but I have been eating my normal TDEE, so this week is sort of an increase in cals I suppose. So I guess ill see what the scale says next week.

I just feel a bit of I guess, hearing so many people gain when they get to tdee, and I havent really had a gain here

Well since you haven't been working out this week, in theory you should gain a little this week. Then you know you are at your right TDEE when you are working out, because right now you are eating in essence above your TDEE. Keep me posted.

Lol, I was just thinking that myself.. if there is a gain, then I will be confident I am at TDEE, and then I can lay low here for a little longer and then cut.. if there is a loss, then I can assume I still need to up my cals a bit..

I gotta say.. Im actually hoping to see a gain this week then:)
  • Raynn1
    Options

You guys are just so awesome and helpful:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

The support is fabulous. I have some friends I am sure are looking at me like I am crazy eating as much as I do, while they eat carrot sticks and cry over it.. but Ive done the dieting.. losing 100 pounds and obviously gaining a lot back, I dont want to ever get back down to where I was a FEAR gaining it back by eating a little too much. At least now, I am confident that I will do this right, and the weight will not return..

So at least the people in here know the exact same things, and feel the exact same thing.. I cant complain to others about eating so much and gaining, because their answer is "duh, stop eating so much!" but at least in here, everyone understands WHY it is happening..
  • tenpets
    Options
    Okay, so wonderful Lucia gave me some advice after looking over my situation. She recommended I go up to 2280 (from a TDEE calculator) versus the 2180 I have been eating based on an estimate from a few days of my BMF (I don't wear it every day).

She also suggested I change my macros from 30c/40p/30f to 40c/30p/30f to help alleviate my looking and feeling so tired. I did low carb for so long that my natural tendency was to turn them way down.

I'm scared, but I really do trust her. So, I made the changes in my food settings. Now to be faithful hitting it all every single day!

Thank you all for your support! This really is tough, not physically, but mentally! I have to step back and see that since April when I joined MFP I am only up 0.8lb overall. Yes, my inches are up (chest and arms only), but if I'm ever going to find out whether this whole reset will work for me---and allow me to lose weight while still eating for the rest of my life---I have to see it to the end.

I absolutely would have given up today if not for all of you, so THANK YOU!!!:flowerforyou:
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

The support is fabulous. I have some friends I am sure are looking at me like I am crazy eating as much as I do, while they eat carrot sticks and cry over it.. but Ive done the dieting.. losing 100 pounds and obviously gaining a lot back, I dont want to ever get back down to where I was a FEAR gaining it back by eating a little too much. At least now, I am confident that I will do this right, and the weight will not return..

So at least the people in here know the exact same things, and feel the exact same thing.. I cant complain to others about eating so much and gaining, because their answer is "duh, stop eating so much!" but at least in here, everyone understands WHY it is happening..

I seriously want to wear a shirt that says "I am doing this on purpose and one day you will see why!"
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options

The support is fabulous. I have some friends I am sure are looking at me like I am crazy eating as much as I do, while they eat carrot sticks and cry over it.. but Ive done the dieting.. losing 100 pounds and obviously gaining a lot back, I dont want to ever get back down to where I was a FEAR gaining it back by eating a little too I. At least now, I am confident that I will do this right, and the weight will not return..

I seriously want to wear a shirt that says "I am doing this on purpose and one day you will see why!"

I need that shirt too, plus a huge sign on my profile, diary, and exercise posts. I have one " friend" in particular that has been saying things that border on rude. And I'm not complaining about weight gain! I'm debating whether to just unfriendly or try once again to explain what I'm doing.
  • cazsyl
    cazsyl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Another one that could do with the t-shirt too - I've not told anyone I'm doing this but for example this morning I just couldn't stop feeling hungry so I had porridge before I went into work then once I got to work I had a bacon roll, nectarine, satsuma, apple, museli bar all before lunch.

Thankfully after lunch the troughing mode eased - but it's quite funny to see the faces of my co workers trying not to look as I'm rustling yet again for the next item of food.
  • Raynn1
    Options

The support is fabulous. I have some friends I am sure are looking at me like I am crazy eating as much as I do, while they eat carrot sticks and cry over it.. but Ive done the dieting.. losing 100 pounds and obviously gaining a lot back, I dont want to ever get back down to where I was a FEAR gaining it back by eating a little too I. At least now, I am confident that I will do this right, and the weight will not return..

I need that shirt too, plus a huge sign on my profile, diary, and exercise posts. I have one " friend" in particular that has been saying things that border on rude. And I'm not complaining about weight gain! I'm debating whether to just unfriendly or try once again to explain what I'm doing.

I havent had anyone (thankfully) come out and be rude to me about eating more, but I can tell there are a few who are very skeptical about this.
    I would love a shirt.. we should start a fashion trend..:)
  • Noor13
    Options
    Yes, a shirt would be awesome:)

But I ythink no matter how many times you explain it, some people just don't want to understand
  • cazsyl
    cazsyl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the problem though is it appears to go totally against what the popular belief is - how often do you see how easy it is to lose weight because all you need to do is exercise more and eat less.

What we have to do is show them the results and keep posting the successes - the more of us there are the louder our voice gets.
  • jyska
    Options
    I think a lot of the problem though is it appears to go totally against what the popular belief is - how often do you see how easy it is to lose weight because all you need to do is exercise more and eat less.

What we have to do is show them the results and keep posting the successes - the more of us there are the louder our voice gets.

yup, we are going against decades of beliefs and a multimillion dollar industry that push an opposite method. That's not an easy egg to crack. It will take time, and testimony. The more people that get on the bandwagon of EM2WL all over the world, the more people we affect. I know that in my little area of the world, that I have to potential to influence a few people, who in turn have the potential to influence...etc. But, it has to start with my success....a ripple effect. With a process as slow as EM2WL is though, that takes TIME. So, patience, determination and strength to be a pioneer is all needed for those of us dropping the stone in the lake.

Oh, and don't forget we live in a world where the microwave and email is considered 'too SLOW' now! that doesn't help our cause...lol.
  • jyska
    Options
    So, a couple small things to report. Tomorrow marks the end of 3 weeks of my reset. I just started TOM today and unbelievably, I'm only up 1 extra pound from it! (I usually gain 4 so this is so strange!)

Plus, I worked out with a good friend yesterday and she said I looked strong, and better than I did 2 years ago which made me go "say what???!!" She said my body shape was changing and it looked better than before. When I told her that I was 30 pounds heavier than I was 3 years ago (so at least 20lbs heavier than 2 years ago) she looked confused...said that didn't make sense because I looked better now. :happy: So, even if I can't see it (and trust me...I'm NOT seeing it...I tend to be blind that way - and the tape measure isn't showing me anything either), she can. And she knows better than to bluff me with garbage compliments...lol. So that was such an encouragement to me that although I'm up 6 pounds on the scale (+ 1 more for TOM) I'm still LOOKING BETTER! I can only assume that my overall shape is changing and smoothing out which may not necessarily reflect on a tape measure because of where/how it's changing.

So, an encouragement to you all...keep it up! Once you hit cut and start to shed the fat layer, that awesome body you are growing underneath with your lifting is gonna SHINE!

I can't wait to rock mine! lol
  • tenpets
    Options
    A friend asked me about the reset and this is what my response was. I'm posting it here for myself primarily as a confirmation and continued commitment. That way I can come back and reread it when I'm having one of "those" moments!

The resetting of the metabolism involves eating your full total daily energy expenditure (essentially eating at maintenance) for 8 weeks. This allows your body to trust that the food supply is stable (no fear of famine). This causes the body to not hold on to every calorie as though tomorrow it will not get nutrition. After about 8 weeks it will have reset to taking in and expending equal amounts of calories and supplying your muscles and organs with the needed nutrients for muscle growth and daily organ function.

Then, you cut calories to TDEE minus 10-15% while doing the same exercising and your body allows the release of excess fat stores because it's not worried about the supply of calories anymore.

After 6-8 weeks at cut, you go back up to TDEE for a week or two so the body does not reset at the cut amount of calories. Then go back to your cut and continue the cycle.

The idea is that you will once and for all be able to eat a sufficient number of calories for life and still be able to lose excess fat. Once you get to your goal weigh you simply eat full TDEE for life!

After only losing weight my whole life by eating anywhere from 800-1500 calories a day AND exercising a great deal, leaving my body way less then my BMR (calories needed JUST for organ function and NO real body movement) to function it has reset my metabolism to a very low number. It never knows what crazy thing I'm going to subject it to and survival is all it cares about. So it's gotten really efficient at storing excess glycogen and fat stores just in case I put it through that again.

Physiologically it makes perfect sense. The tough part is doing TDEE for 8 weeks because the body in the beginning is still so unsure about whether this is a fleeting increased calorie situation so it starts to pack away stores for the next round of not eating enough.

It's really tough mentally more than anything. But I only have 51/2 more weeks and my body should start slowing down on the packing away excess stores soon. Besides, I really have not been terribly consistent the first 2 1/2 weeks with last week not exercising AND not eating my full TDEE many days. So, no wonder my body is so confused. In addition, I also started the intense 6x/wk P90 at the same time. So it's totally confused.

I do well with it mentally, and then all of a sudden I kind of melt down wondering whether I'm just crazy for doing this. Fortunately, my positive outlook on life far outweighs the doubter in me. Especially with all the support from all my MFP friends!

I am thrilled with the idea of being able to eat between 1900-2280 calories every day for life and STILL gain muscle and lose fat! My ultimate goal is to be a very fit and extremely strong 150 lb. woman. That's just 23 lbs away. I simply need to keep things in perspective as best I can.

Thanks for being there!! We CAN and WILL do this together! :flowerforyou:
  • Noor13
    Options
    So, a couple small things to report. Tomorrow marks the end of 3 weeks of my reset. I just started TOM today and unbelievably, I'm only up 1 extra pound from it! (I usually gain 4 so this is so strange!)

Plus, I worked out with a good friend yesterday and she said I looked strong, and better than I did 2 years ago which made me go "say what???!!" She said my body shape was changing and it looked better than before. When I told her that I was 30 pounds heavier than I was 3 years ago (so at least 20lbs heavier than 2 years ago) she looked confused...said that didn't make sense because I looked better now. :happy: So, even if I can't see it (and trust me...I'm NOT seeing it...I tend to be blind that way - and the tape measure isn't showing me anything either), she can. And she knows better than to bluff me with garbage compliments...lol. So that was such an encouragement to me that although I'm up 6 pounds on the scale (+ 1 more for TOM) I'm still LOOKING BETTER! I can only assume that my overall shape is changing and smoothing out which may not necessarily reflect on a tape measure because of where/how it's changing.

So, an encouragement to you all...keep it up! Once you hit cut and start to shed the fat layer, that awesome body you are growing underneath with your lifting is gonna SHINE!

Well that's what I would call a proper NSV! Way to go girl!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

I was getting ready for bed last night, washing my face in the bathroom. It was later than usual so I was leaning forward on the counter while taking my eye makeup off when I looked at my arms and seen this bump where a persons bicep is! I have always had muscle and definition, but not such noticeable biceps! You know I then started posing! My belly may be bigger but so are my muscles!!