Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering, with now doing strength 3/xwk and cardio only 1x/wk I think I may have moved down to the 1-3 hours light activity. According to scooby, that would drop my tdee to 1935 instead of 2280.... Perhaps that's why I've felt like I've gotten so much bigger lately? Do you think 1935 is more where I should be? I'm thinking so, but don't want to mess things up. At the same time I definitely don't want to be eating for an activity level I'm not doing. Hmmm
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering, with now doing strength 3/xwk and cardio only 1x/wk I think I may have moved down to the 1-3 hours light activity. According to scooby, that would drop my tdee to 1935 instead of 2280.... Perhaps that's why I've felt like I've gotten so much bigger lately? Do you think 1935 is more where I should be? I'm thinking so, but don't want to mess things up. At the same time I definitely don't want to be eating for an activity level I'm not doing. Hmmm

How many hours of exercise do you do if you add it all up? If you add it all up and it's changed and it's definitely the next level down and that's where you want it to stay (in other words, that's the amount of exercise you wish to do on a regular basis), then you should adjust accordingly. If the hours add up to still stay in the level you are, then don't change anything. You may be on the lower end of the exercise scale for that group, but if you want, you could add in a fast walk to get in a little more time/exercise within that level. Or if you wanted to add in a walk or two to keep yourself in the level you are, then you could do that instead...

You probably could adjust your calories during a reset IF YOU NEED TO, but make sure you decide what you want to stick with for exercise before you do it. One change won't be the end of the world (not great, but not horrible), but if you start back and forthing, I'm thinking that's going to keep your body guessing which is the exact opposite of what a reset is trying to achieve.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I joined the thread a couple of weeks ago and then life caught up with me and I haven't been able to keep up with this thread. I want to try to do better about checking in here.

I'm in week 14 of my reset. To recap, I gained about 4 pounds the first few weeks and then held steady. It took until 8-10 weeks until I began to feel it was kicking in for me. At week 11, my weight trended back down about a pound. Then I changed my lifting routine and the changes caused me to hold onto another 2-3 pounds for 2 weeks. Now I'm back down to where I was week 11. The hunger has kicked back in the last week or two as well.

I'm going to keep eating at maintenance and reevaluate every few weeks or so but so far I'm happy with the way things are going so I think I'm going to keep at it for a while. It seemed like it took a long time to start seeing the effects of eating more, I'm okay with being patient a while longer.

Stay strong!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I joined the thread a couple of weeks ago and then life caught up with me and I haven't been able to keep up with this thread. I want to try to do better about checking in here.

I'm in week 14 of my reset. To recap, I gained about 4 pounds the first few weeks and then held steady. It took until 8-10 weeks until I began to feel it was kicking in for me. At week 11, my weight trended back down about a pound. Then I changed my lifting routine and the changes caused me to hold onto another 2-3 pounds for 2 weeks. Now I'm back down to where I was week 11. The hunger has kicked back in the last week or two as well.

I'm going to keep eating at maintenance and reevaluate every few weeks or so but so far I'm happy with the way things are going so I think I'm going to keep at it for a while. It seemed like it took a long time to start seeing the effects of eating more, I'm okay with being patient a while longer.

Stay strong!

Just curious.. why are you still at maintenance at 14 weeks? Are you trying to maintain and lose inches, or are you bulking then cutting. (Sorry, just insanely curious since Im struggling just to make it to 8 weeks!:))
  • CampinGal34
    CampinGal34 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm here and checking in but I don't comment a lot...the strong-silent type :wink: You guys rock and I absoluetly love the support here! I'm starting week 5 of reset! No changes at all for me. During Week 2 I bloated out and have looked prego ever since, scale hit the high end of the same 3lbs I've been tossing around for 7 months (158-161). Here I sit at 161.4 and hover within ounces. I'm not sure what that means!! I hope it means I'm in the right spot and not the wrong spot!! My fitbit arrives tomorrow and that should help relieve my nerves! I had committed to a 6 week reset and where I've already been hovering for a few weeks, I'm wondering if that will be okay. Or do I suck it up for 8 just in case. Any ideas (although, deep down I think I know what you'll say...I just don't want to hear it. lol!!) Menatlly, this is a tough game!
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Yeah I noticed that. I've never been lucky in my life but hey what a time to be! I keep feeling like it's gonna crawl back on me though eating like this. Although today was an awesome day of eating. Well as awesome as I'll probably ever get.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm here and checking in but I don't comment a lot...the strong-silent type :wink: You guys rock and I absoluetly love the support here! I'm starting week 5 of reset! No changes at all for me. During Week 2 I bloated out and have looked prego ever since, scale hit the high end of the same 3lbs I've been tossing around for 7 months (158-161). Here I sit at 161.4 and hover within ounces. I'm not sure what that means!! I hope it means I'm in the right spot and not the wrong spot!! My fitbit arrives tomorrow and that should help relieve my nerves! I had committed to a 6 week reset and where I've already been hovering for a few weeks, I'm wondering if that will be okay. Or do I suck it up for 8 just in case. Any ideas (although, deep down I think I know what you'll say...I just don't want to hear it. lol!!) Menatlly, this is a tough game!
    The fitbit is an eye opener. I just got mine a week ago and I am actually burning quite a bit more than I thought I would. So in my case that means that I will have to up my cals.
    It is better to stick to the reset for two more weeks if you can. The recommendation are doing it for 8 weeks.
  • Noor13
    Options
    Yeah I noticed that. I've never been lucky in my life but hey what a time to be! I keep feeling like it's gonna crawl back on me though eating like this. Although today was an awesome day of eating. Well as awesome as I'll probably ever get.
    Keep strong. It will get easier eventually
  • Desmonema
    Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!
    I am 6 days in on the reset now and today I need some motivation.... I feel HORRIBLE!! Even though I have been working out quite hard before and also since I started the reset, I feel wobbly and FAT!! I know I am not, but the feeling's there and makes me want to question the whole procedure... I am a little less concerned when I look at my numbers that I recorded daily since I started. They went up then down, now a slight bit up, but not higher than before...
    Still I am feeling very insecure and don't really know how to get over it!! How did you people out there cope with that phase in the beginning of the reset??
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, thanks for the encouragement!!!!! So nice to have a place to vent, and yes I shall be tracking!

Did I sound like a "real" Mom??:blushing:

And since you are a real Mom, you have my permission to re-print my post to ME when my day comes to vent!!

Hugs Doll :flowerforyou:
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options

How many hours of exercise do you do if you add it all up? If you add it all up and it's changed and it's definitely the next level down and that's where you want it to stay (in other words, that's the amount of exercise you wish to do on a regular basis), then you should adjust accordingly. If the hours add up to still stay in the level you are, then don't change anything. You may be on the lower end of the exercise scale for that group, but if you want, you could add in a fast walk to get in a little more time/exercise within that level. Or if you wanted to add in a walk or two to keep yourself in the level you are, then you could do that instead...

You probably could adjust your calories during a reset IF YOU NEED TO, but make sure you decide what you want to stick with for exercise before you do it. One change won't be the end of the world (not great, but not horrible), but if you start back and forthing, I'm thinking that's going to keep your body guessing which is the exact opposite of what a reset is trying to achieve.

As always, thanks so much for your input. I do P90 (not X) and the strength session is 35 min of actual exercise and the cardio is about the 45 min. So, that's 2 hours 30 min. Because they are fairly short, I consider them to be light. Also, the cardio is only a bit tough in just one or two spots, but nothing terribly crazy and the strength sessions feel kind of easy to me at this point (we've been doing the highest level 3/4 for a few weeks now and I'm maxing out the 25lb adjustable freeweights I have) :/

I know that come fall when summer sessions are over and I'm back to my crazy fall schedule with 3 out of 5 days of late nights of teaching that I will be able to get in 3 maybe 4 workouts a week. I have a 45 min commute each way which only decreases my available time.

I guess when I look at how I'm gaining and that my exercising isn't what I had initially plugged in it only makes sense that I'm eating more than my actual tdee.

If you don't think it will ruin all my efforts thus far (just starting my 5th week today), I will bump down to the next activity level (which I believe is actually more accurate for me). Does that sound right?
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. I had a 1 pound gain on the scale this morning.. So I am now above what I originally started with 12 weeks ago.. Great.... :/
    Wasnt really expecting a gain 4weeks in, I know I went slightly over my cals a day or two, but certainly not 3500 cals worth! I missed 1-2 workouts in there so that might have something more to do with it..
    Oh well.. guess I just have to take it like it is and move on...
  • carriea67
    carriea67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    @momofmyfivekids - tracking is key for me as I would have the same incident with any nut butter and a spoon. Stick it through - you are already on the downward slide...

@tenpets - love me some animals! We currently have 6 (2 dogs & 4 cats) and people look at us like we are crazy. LOL - a fancy outside cat house...that makes me laugh because our outside dog kennels have heat & AC...glad I am not alone in being a bit crazed about my pets.

@Rayann1 & Momofmyfive kids - My tell is I haven't been complaining to my husband or even telling him what I am doing. That means I am going to stick it through. I have such a habit of starting something & sticking with it for 2 weeks and then changing it up because I haven't seen any results.

@Rayann1 - the gain could be anything...too much sodium....holding onto water....and good for you for realizing that you did not eat 3500 extra calories....I had to break my relationship with the scale (it's not you, it's me but we can still be friends in about a month).

As for me, I am still plugging along - felt sluggish and bloaty yesterday but today feel great....am still struggling a bit with my macros but I am now consistently eating over 100 grams of protein. I am now committed to doing the full 8 week reset and will spend the next 4 weeks getting my macros straightened out.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    As always, thanks so much for your input. I do P90 (not X) and the strength session is 35 min of actual exercise and the cardio is about the 45 min. So, that's 2 hours 30 min. Because they are fairly short, I consider them to be light. Also, the cardio is only a bit tough in just one or two spots, but nothing terribly crazy and the strength sessions feel kind of easy to me at this point (we've been doing the highest level 3/4 for a few weeks now and I'm maxing out the 25lb adjustable freeweights I have) :/

I know that come fall when summer sessions are over and I'm back to my crazy fall schedule with 3 out of 5 days of late nights of teaching that I will be able to get in 3 maybe 4 workouts a week. I have a 45 min commute each way which only decreases my available time.

I guess when I look at how I'm gaining and that my exercising isn't what I had initially plugged in it only makes sense that I'm eating more than my actual tdee.

If you don't think it will ruin all my efforts thus far (just starting my 5th week today), I will bump down to the next activity level (which I believe is actually more accurate for me). Does that sound right?

Sounds about right. I think that it's important that you are eating for the right activity level and I don't think it will ruin your efforts so far...one small adjustment shouldn't cause you any major setback if it's the right adjustment to make. :smile:
  • opalmel
    opalmel Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Today is exactly 4 weeks into my reset! I am half way there! Woohoo! I tried my new workout video last night (personal training with Jackie - Extreme time saver) and she kicked my butt! I was getting tired of JM yelling at me. LOL
    My weight had been keeping steady (gain of about 2 pounds) until last friday where it decided to jump up almost 3 more pounds and has been staying pretty close to there. Hopefully, it was only because of the pizza (sodium) weekend. I feel like the biggest brown cow in the pasture. =( I have decided not to measure myself until a few weeks into my cut because I would not be able to handle a gain there too.

lucyhoneychur - I am completely with you on feeling like your throwing everything you worked hard for before out the window! Hopefully once we start the cut, we will look and feel better than before!! =)

I will hit my 4 week mark this Friday and have also decided that while I will weigh myself (haven't since June 1st) to make sure that I am on track and have hit my TDEE I will not be taking measurements.

As of now, I am planning on doing the full 8 weeks....as long as I don't stress over my pudge :) I am enjoying eating more foods. So that puts me starting my cut on Monday July 30th - is anyone else around that date?

I will be completing the full 8 weeks around July 27 and plan to start my 15% cut on the 28th. Feel free to add me.
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say "hi" and marking where I have read up to. Hope everyone is doing well, nothing new to add for me, one week to go.
    I am starting to look at what I am eating, trying to figure out where I will be able to cut out 300ish calories next week. I don't want to get rid of anything :laugh:
    Got in a great leg workout yesterday. I am not as sore as I was last week, AND I upped about half of my weights from last week, so I am really happy with my progress!
    Catch you all later!
  • Noor13
    Options
    Just popping in to say "hi" and marking where I have read up to. Hope everyone is doing well, nothing new to add for me, one week to go.
    I am starting to look at what I am eating, trying to figure out where I will be able to cut out 300ish calories next week. I don't want to get rid of anything :laugh:
    Got in a great leg workout yesterday. I am not as sore as I was last week, AND I upped about half of my weights from last week, so I am really happy with my progress!
    Catch you all later!
    Awesome progress-well done you!
  • aprilcharris
    aprilcharris Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just checking in. I'm finishing my 3rd week of the reset and almost 3 months of eating more. I have had a very difficult week as many others have. I put on a skirt for church on Sunday and although it fit, it was snug and when I first got it I had debated buying a size smaller. I was so discouraged and like many others questioned why I was doing this to myself. Every time I start debating going to a cut now, I come on here and read and feel encouraged to continue the reset. I don't know exactly what I weighed when I began the reset but my low during the eating at cut phase was about 143.5. Since I began eating at reset I have tried to quit weighing so frequently but have weighed in at 149.0, then 149.8,(both at the doctor's office a few days apart), then 149.0, then 152.2. I was so upset to see the 152 that I quit weighing for awhile. Yesterday I just felt like I had to know what I weighed and was shocked to see 148.8. I weighed again this morning out of curiosity and was 148.4! I'm a little ashamed what a difference the scale makes in my mood. I can't believe I am eating 2100 calories and the scale is going down!

The other huge thing for me since eating more is that my periods have become much more regular. They have been all over the place since I stopped nursing my daughter and since I began eating more, every single cycle has been 28 days. My nails are stronger too. I'm committed to the full 8 weeks!
  • flygirl516
    flygirl516 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was eating at TDEE (or close to it.. there were a few days where I was 200-300 cals under TDEE) for about 2 weeks. I wasn't tracking at all for about a month before that, so I could have been close to TDEE and just not realized it..but it was also all bad food.

I've gained 4 lbs in 2 weeks eating at TDEE. I've gained 10 lbs since the beginning of May, so 6 of which were during the no-tracking period.. I gained 3 lbs over one weekend that didn't go away and 3 lbs over another weekend. I blink and I gain weight if I'm not watching every morsal of food that I eat. Add another 4 from eating at TDEE and I can't mentally handle it.

Running is HARD. My clothes don't fit, except for dresses. My face looks fat. How am I supposed to continue eating at TDEE when my weight just climbs? I cut my cals back to TDEE -15% today, but I'm not sure if that is the right answer. However, I feel like TDEE -15% is STILL too much food since I continue to gain weight.

How do you handle the mental aspect of it? I can tell myself all the good stuff about it, but at the end of the day, I'm still up 10 lbs and I feel fat. there's no other word to describe it..just fat.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. I had a 1 pound gain on the scale this morning.. So I am now above what I originally started with 12 weeks ago.. Great.... :/
    Wasnt really expecting a gain 4weeks in, I know I went slightly over my cals a day or two, but certainly not 3500 cals worth! I missed 1-2 workouts in there so that might have something more to do with it..
    Oh well.. guess I just have to take it like it is and move on...

It is looking like week 4 is getting most of us! I wonder if its something to do with our bodies adjusting or if we are getting a little too comfortable. I am still tracking and weighing, I still workout the same although i do let myself sit down more during the day. I am actually doing better with hitting my macros most days but I will admit some days have more treats than need be and I let myself eat out once a week, sometimes twice where before EM2WL I ate out once a month or less. I did have about 5 days over TDEE during TOM so that could be it, too.

Maybe its a little of both. Well either way you are not alone, many of us seem to be struggling! Definitely gets my mind in the right place about cutting and less calories not being such a bad thing! :laugh: