Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! Well, I was going to jump on here today and post how fat I'm feeling today and that those thoughts "why am I choosing to eat lots and gain weigh and inches?" have started again! But, I see LOTS of us are at that point today!

Today marks the end of week 4 for my reset. Just reading all of your posts---that describe EXACTLY how I'm feeling today---makes me realize I can and need to stick this out.

It's just SOOOO tough walking by mirrors and seeing my now-thicker thighs, butt, and abdomen! It really is noticeable. Especially because I'm working quite hard with exercising, which I hadn't been doing for a while. *sigh*

Just needed to get all that out... We've got this guys (right?!):wink:
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Yeeeee! NROLFW just came in the mail today. I guess I have some reading to do. Now to figure out when...lol! I'm so excited. I'm not currently doing any strength training. The hard part will be getting started and making room into my current routine. I know that once I do I won't regret it!

As far as reset goes, I really want to get better with macros. I tend to go over on fat a lot. I eat a lot of good fat, but I've started letting a bit of sweet junk creep in. I mean, I believe in making room for something sweet every day. But my square or two of dark chocolate a day has grown - especially since going up to TDEE. So now that I've got a handle on eating the proper number of calories I really want to work harder on my macros.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! Well, I was going to jump on here today and post how fat I'm feeling today and that those thoughts "why am I choosing to eat lots and gain weigh and inches?" have started again! But, I see LOTS of us are at that point today!

Today marks the end of week 4 for my reset. Just reading all of your posts---that describe EXACTLY how I'm feeling today---makes me realize I can and need to stick this out.

It's just SOOOO tough walking by mirrors and seeing my now-thicker thighs, butt, and abdomen! It really is noticeable. Especially because I'm working quite hard with exercising, which I hadn't been doing for a while. *sigh*

Just needed to get all that out... We've got this guys (right?!):wink:

Yes, Sweetie, we got this!!:smooched: :smooched: :smooched:

Hey, tell me about your screen name, do you really have 10 pets?? You can see my 3 little girls in my avvie, so you know I'm a mommy to multiples~ pets, that is!!!:heart::heart: :heart:
  • rosied915
    Options
    Yeeeee! NROLFW just came in the mail today. I guess I have some reading to do. Now to figure out when...lol! I'm so excited. I'm not currently doing any strength training. The hard part will be getting started and making room into my current routine. I know that once I do I won't regret it!

As far as reset goes, I really want to get better with macros. I tend to go over on fat a lot. I eat a lot of good fat, but I've started letting a bit of sweet junk creep in. I mean, I believe in making room for something sweet every day. But my square or two of dark chocolate a day has grown - especially since going up to TDEE. So now that I've got a handle on eating the proper number of calories I really want to work harder on my macros.

YAY Crystal!!! You will LOVE NROLFW!!! Good job on tweaking the macros too!!!
  • tenpets
    Options
    Quick question for the reset experts:

I'm feeling so much heavier (not getting on the scale until July 25th!) and am wondering if I should change up my exercise routine.

With two 12-hr teaching days and 3 8-hr days we're now doing P90 strength (burns 200 cal) 3x/wk and the cardio part (burns 400 cal)1x/wk. Should I increase the cardio to all of the 5 days I have available to increase my burn by the additional 400 calories? I would still be netting above my BMR and am wondering if it would slow the weight/inches I may gain during the rest of my reset.

If so, on the lifting days should the 45 min of intense cardio come before or after the strength training (40 min)?

What are your thoughts?
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    @Rayann1: Totally natural to have that fear. I get it too. But I know it's just fear....not a reality. The weight will come off. :smile:

Right now in the reset, what we gain, what we lose, etc, isn't the focus. (no matter how much we want it to be) The focus is on teaching our bodies to stabilize at maintenance so that we can lose at a healthy cut. I just put on 2 more pounds this past week....so I had to remind myself of that today. sigh.... I'm 5 weeks in, looking forward to cut at the end of 8 weeks. Right now, I'd just be happy to stabilize! :grumble:

Wise words! I do tend to watch my ups and downs closely. I've been okay thus far, but that's because I've bounced around in the same range, even upped my cals because I was trending slightly downward. I admit that this would feel so much harder if I were gaining right now. But it will all be worth it in the end!

I'm so proud of how many there are that are hanging in there. Mentally this really can be rough at times. Stay strong - we've GOT this!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. Well I'm on week 5, day 2. Really want to do the full 8 weeks but I am really feeling burnt out and I want to see some progress again! Its such a roller coaster, was feeling great for a few days, but I'm feeling totally blah and disgusting yesterday and I've been struggling with binges again. UGH!!!! As a result, the scale is now up 7 pounds. Yikes!

Im having those thoughts too, of second guessing myself and wondering why I am purposely eating sooo much and gaining weight. I have zero energy and it is a struggle. I feel like I don't get much support to continue doing this from anyone...most days I eat more than my DH, who is also on MFP. He listens to my complaints and wonders why I am doing this! Makes me feel like I am constantly stuffing my face.Also, weve been working with a trainer who raises quite the skeptical eyebrow when I refer to this reset process. Both he and his wife are bodybuilders (she does figure competitions so she basically looks like Jamie Eason)...and am finding myself wondering if I should just follow their advice. I hate second guessing myself!!!!!

My metabolism must be firing up because I am starving all the time and its been driving me nuts. Oh, and I am so sick and tired of tracking food. I was tempted to take a break from it yesterday to see how things went. I would love to not track for the remainder of the reset, but due to a certain incident yesterday involving a jar of almond butter and a spoon, I think I've come to the conclusion that I must track!!!!

Well...that was alot of complaining!!!!! Sorry guys!
  • tenpets
    Options
    Rosie,

Your babies are SO cute! Are the miniature dacshunds? I always wanted a long-haired cream miniature, but never found a breeder nearby.

As for my screen name, yes we have many pets. The number has fluctuated over the years, but I started using the name when we had 10 (4 dogs & 6 cats, plus fish!). In the past 4 years we've lost 5 dogs and 3 cats. They had all grown old at the same time!

We now have 2 indoor cats (special needs and oh-so-cute!), 2 indoor/outdoor cats, 3 cats in a fancy outdoor enclosure, and 2 cats that live in the garage that our neighbors abandoned. We still have a few who are quite geriatric that we will lose in the not-so-distant future. :sad: Always heartbreaking as they are all our babies. We love our pets and treat them as family (in other words...spoiled!). We lost our last dog in May and the house isn't the same without her. :heart:

Kiss all your pups for me!!
  • tenpets
    Options
    Hi ladies. Well I'm on week 5, day 2. Really want to do the full 8 weeks but I am really feeling burnt out and I want to see some progress again! Its such a roller coaster, was feeling great for a few days, but I'm feeling totally blah and disgusting yesterday and I've been struggling with binges again. UGH!!!! As a result, the scale is now up 7 pounds. Yikes!

Im having those thoughts too, of second guessing myself and wondering why I am purposely eating sooo much and gaining weight. I have zero energy and it is a struggle. I feel like I don't get much support to continue doing this from anyone...most days I eat more than my DH, who is also on MFP. He listens to my complaints and wonders why I am doing this! Makes me feel like I am constantly stuffing my face.Also, weve been working with a trainer who raises quite the skeptical eyebrow when I refer to this reset process. Both he and his wife are bodybuilders (she does figure competitions so she basically looks like Jamie Eason)...and am finding myself wondering if I should just follow their advice. I hate second guessing myself!!!!!

My metabolism must be firing up because I am starving all the time and its been driving me nuts. Oh, and I am so sick and tired of tracking food. I was tempted to take a break from it yesterday to see how things went. I would love to not track for the remainder of the reset, but due to a certain incident yesterday involving a jar of almond butter and a spoon, I think I've come to the conclusion that I must track!!!!

LOL! The almond butter gotcha!! I am SOOO where you are. It has to be tough working with a personal trainer, though. They probably think we're all goofy for doing a reset. So jealous that you are 8 days ahead of me!! You're SO close! Hang tough.:flowerforyou:
  • Marge321
    Marge321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hello people !!

I'm on my eight week of EM2WL and never been in starvation mode (1200 calories) for quite long. I thought my body would do fine without the reset. Right now, nothing has really changed in my body; no weight loss, maybe a little inche, but not the results I expected.

I'm not really on exercising right now, I just finished law school and feel exhausted. I try to cardio train 1-2 times a week and I'll try to add strenght training as soon as my leg's muscles will be healed (had a little accident earlier) which would maybe be next week.

So what are your thoughts about my reset ? Should I go there for 8 weeks ? Thanks for helping me out !
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Hello people !!

I'm on my eight week of EM2WL and never been in starvation mode (1200 calories) for quite long. I thought my body would do fine without the reset. Right now, nothing has really changed in my body; no weight loss, maybe a little inche, but not the results I expected.

I'm not really on exercising right now, I just finished law school and feel exhausted. I try to cardio train 1-2 times a week and I'll try to add strenght training as soon as my leg's muscles will be healed (had a little accident earlier) which would maybe be next week.

So what are your thoughts about my reset ? Should I go there for 8 weeks ? Thanks for helping me out !
    Hi there

have you been eating 15% cut of your TDEE?
    If so, and nothing changed you can still up your cals a bit and try it with a 10% cut. If you don't lose then a reset would be a good thing to do. or you can decide to go for the reset any way. Never a bad thing.
  • Marge321
    Options
    Hello people !!

Hi there

have you been eating 15% cut of your TDEE?
    If so, and nothing changed you can still up your cals a bit and try it with a 10% cut. If you don't lose then a reset would be a good thing to do. or you can decide to go for the reset any way. Never a bad thing.

Yes I've been eating at 15% cut. I believe I can try the 10% cut, but I do you think I should wait about another 6 weeks to see a change ?
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Hello people !!

Hi Marge! I looked back at your diary a bit. I didn't go super far back, but in the week I looked at you were in the 1600-2000 calorie range. What is your TDEE? Your goal was at 2200. Is that your cut number? If that's your cut I would suggest hitting that consistently for a month and see what happens.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

OMG I hear you!! I get so many looks from friends and hubby when I say what I am doing... They keep saying stop eating so much then you wont complain, but they just dont understand!
    Great thing on the starving feeling, though.. means you are definitely doing the right thing:)

As for whoever was asking about increasing cardio.. tenpets, I think?... I wouldnt. I dont think it will help with the heavy feeling we have. I think it was recommended to ease off on the cardio, try to get more strength training in and relax a bit:).. I would maybe incorporate some basic walks if you feel the need to do something, but I dont think I would add tone more cardio..

SPR - (Sweatpants:)) - Enjoy NROL!! I am almost halfway through stage 2 and I love it.. I only wish I could see the results though, but this damn reset is hiding everything from me! I had to cut back on my running in order to fit in the 3x a week for NR, but now that I am in stage two, I am working my way back to running more than once a week again. I have a 10k at the end of august that I would like to not embarrass myself in:). we'll see
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Hello people !!

Hi Marge! I looked back at your diary a bit. I didn't go super far back, but in the week I looked at you were in the 1600-2000 calorie range. What is your TDEE? Your goal was at 2200. Is that your cut number? If that's your cut I would suggest hitting that consistently for a month and see what happens.

I agree.. are you supposed to be eating 2200 for your cut? if so, its looking like you arent quite making it there. I would work hard at hitting that number for about 4-6 weeks before deciding if its working or not..
  • rosied915
    Options

Hey, hey, HEY Missy!!!
    First of all, I'm glad you came here to get it all out.
    Second of all, keep "your business' to yourself. Just don't talk about what you eat to ANYONE~ respectfully keep the conversations with your trainers to the subject of training.
    Third of all~ I am so excited that you are HUNGRY!! YOU ARE SUCCEEDING!! You are HEALING YOUR METABOLISM~ that's what this was all about!! You're HUNGRY~ CONGRATULATIONS!!
    Fourth of all~ You are one of my freaking heroes and YES YOU ARE GOING TO TRACK TILL YOU'RE PURPLE!!
    You lost over 100 pounds tracking and you will keep tracking~ is that clear???:smokin:

Now, go sit down and eat yer almond butter........
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Marge321
    Options
    Thanks for all the reply.

I just changed 2200 after being proposed to eat at 10% cut. So my last weeks were at 15% cut, indeed I was eating a bit less !

I'll try 10% cut for some weeks and see what happens.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, thanks for the encouragement!!!!! So nice to have a place to vent, and yes I shall be tracking!
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Im on day 6, after gaining 2.86 pounds (1.3 kilos) i lost 400 grams (0.88 pounds) overnight...i have just started taking antibiotics cos of a bladder infection so think its possibly just due to the meds getting rid of fluid...but today I am taking it! lol Means i am currently only up by 900 grams (2 pounds) :)
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Thanks for all the reply.

I just changed 2200 after being proposed to eat at 10% cut. So my last weeks were at 15% cut, indeed I was eating a bit less !

I'll try 10% cut for some weeks and see what happens.

So if my math is correct, 15% would've had you in the 2000ish range for your goal? It seems like you were under that quite a bit. I would definitely make sure you get all the way up to your 2200 each and every day for a month, even if it means you go over a bit for the day. The thing I've noticed with EMTWL is that the thinking is reverse from what we're used to. When I was doing MFP with low calories, the goal was always to end the day under calories. But since switching to EMTWL philosophy, it's usually better to go over by a bit than stay under. I would say this is especially true when first starting. I'm not talking about massive amounts, but if you're under by 100 calories, go ahead and have a snack to get you closer, even if you end up slightly over. Give it time and be consistent! Keep checking in and let us know how it goes!