Replies

• miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    bump to learn more
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I keep reading about fat loss. One of the things that is sticking with me is that fat actually absorbs water prior to shrinking or being burned off, resulting in something called "whooshes" or sometimes "squishy fat" Today, I actually feel less squishy! I hope that 's what's happening to me this week.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Ive heard Lucia talk of whooshes when she is at tdee and then drops after her 6 weeks... she says its usually a week or so later that the whoosh happens... Im definitely hoping for a big whoosh when my time comes:)
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Found this on Pintrest and thought it was a good one.. 31 protein ideas for snacks:)

http://greatist.com/health/high-protein-snacks-portable/
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, been a rough eating weekend for me...back on track tomorrow. Thought I'd share the link to my blog on here that I've been updating weekly as I go through this reset.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/momofmyfivekids
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I really had a bad moment with this reset yesterday...i started to doubt the process and then tried on my pair of aussie size 14 jeans and they were too tight....and i started to worry i am going to end back where i started (and ive lost 185 pounds so how ridiculous was that) Im into the second week of the reset and going to last at least 4 weeks. Im not sure i have the mental capacity for 8 weeks....and whilst i wanted to do the whole EM2WL approach properly...i dont feel my metabolism was ever really compromised. As of this morning i was exactly a kilo (2.2 pounds) up from where i started. I had already noticed my other pants had been fitting me better this last week so the reality is the jeans prolly didnt fit PRIOR to starting this. If nothing else i have a pair of jeans as a goal now. Unfortunately today i have had a tummy bug and been throwing up so wont get close to TDEE but tomorrow is a fresh day :)
    Believe me I had a rough weekend as well. I am usually not somebody who doubts things I believe in, but when I had to pull out my bigger size jeans yesterday I was not happy. I remembered though that TTOM is around the corner and I just blame it on that lol.
    Just stay strong and hang in there. We are all in the same boat.
    Hope your tummy is better today
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I'm really struggling. The last couple of days have been AWFUL! I didn't log Saturday or Sunday. I haven't run since Wednesday. I didn't do my long run over the weekend. I'm just feeling blah. I'm tired tired tired. I'm hoping it's the fatigue that some others experienced during reset. I'm getting nervous that my thyroid meds could need adjustment. I really hope it's just a wave of fatigue that's soon to pass. But my mood is really dejected lately too. That's why I wonder if it could by my thyroid functioning struggling. I'm of course very nervous about that. The last time my thyroid functioning plummeted I gained 40 lbs in less than 4 months. I have almost that 40 pounds off now. Keep chugging along thyroid....please! I do have a lot of stress on my plate right now and it's all started to catch up with me the last couple of weeks, so it really could be that too.

Anyways, I'm starting week six of my reset. Only two more weeks to go. I hope I haven't screwed it up by lack of consistency in logging. I'll be honest. I'm not sure that I made it all the way to TDEE on Saturday. Yesterday though I'm sure I went past TDEE, so I'm hoping that it balances out between the two days. My weight is up a bit this morning. I know it's because I had a major binge right before bed last night. So I'm sure it will drop back down after a day or two. I haven't had any kind of emotional eating in a long time. Grrrr....

I'm going to get back to logging today. I hope I can get back to running soon. It's just so hot and humid. The humidity is really hard for me to run in. I have a race at the end of the month and I don't want to disappoint myself. I also have a race end of September (my half marathon) and I want to make sure I get to all of my mileage, so I really need to get back on track. I finished NROLFW - LOVED it. I really really want to start, but the author made a good point when he talked about the amount of exercise we can handle when we've got a lot of stress in our lives. I've decided that it's going to be too much for me to add anything right now. I really want to love it when I start and I think if I tried to do it now I'd hate it. So I'm going to stick with my original plan and wait until after my half in September to start lifting. I will be done with races for the year, exception might be some 5ks, but nothing with major distance. So it'll be a good time to change up my routine and let the lifting take over as the main focus.

Anyways, I hope everyone had a lovely weekend and is doing well. I'm going to try hard to get with it today.
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan to wait on the NROL. When I started I cut back on my running, and only now have I been able to get it in again.. That said my endurance took a HUGE hit and Im struggling to go my 5k (3miles)... I have a 10K at the end of August Id like to do half decently in, but that means I need to actually be able to run:)
    NROL is definitely a great program, but you do need to be focused and ready for it.

I hope the fatigue is mainly heat related for you. You are doing great!

Im not struggling with TDEE this week. After my breakdown a little while back, I have been able to refocus my energies and just put my head down and sing "LALALALALALA" when it comes to my weight or the measurements. I have so much faith in seeing those change when the reset is over and I look forward to seeing my results from NROL. I should be entering stage 3 by the time reset is done, so thats about 10 weeks of lifting under my belt by then, and hopefully some great changes.

Im partly glad I decided to go for the full reset and partly sad. I know I needed the full 8 weeks, but I really want to get this show on the road already!!:)

Only a few more weeks for us gals.. we can do it!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Sweatpants, I could have written that myself! Just yesterday I did decide to cut out m y running and lower my activity level to moderate. The stress in my life seems to keep piling up the last few months and weeks, then after some disappointing news and the bank screwing up my account "which can't be fixed over the weekend and your money will be available on Tuesday"......running just wasn't fun anymore. I have a race at the end of the month and I will still run it, I'll just eat more that day.

It wasn't too hard to drop calories, I actually feel better! Before I would enter my main meals, then snacks then still have about 500 cals to fill in with whatever. I tried to keep it mainly healthy but sometimes I would just add stuff just to use up calories. Its much easier to keep my macros decent.

I have been really tired still, too :yawn: I am still taking a mini nap when I can even if its just 10-15 min and have been trying to get into bed earlier. I just started week 6 yesterday so its getting closer!
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I'm really struggling. The last couple of days have been AWFUL! I didn't log Saturday or Sunday. I haven't run since Wednesday. I didn't do my long run over the weekend. I'm just feeling blah. I'm tired tired tired. I'm hoping it's the fatigue that some others experienced during reset. I'm getting nervous that my thyroid meds could need adjustment. I really hope it's just a wave of fatigue that's soon to pass. But my mood is really dejected lately too. That's why I wonder if it could by my thyroid functioning struggling. I'm of course very nervous about that. The last time my thyroid functioning plummeted I gained 40 lbs in less than 4 months. I have almost that 40 pounds off now. Keep chugging along thyroid....please! I do have a lot of stress on my plate right now and it's all started to catch up with me the last couple of weeks, so it really could be that too.

Anyways, I'm starting week six of my reset. Only two more weeks to go. I hope I haven't screwed it up by lack of consistency in logging. I'll be honest. I'm not sure that I made it all the way to TDEE on Saturday. Yesterday though I'm sure I went past TDEE, so I'm hoping that it balances out between the two days. My weight is up a bit this morning. I know it's because I had a major binge right before bed last night. So I'm sure it will drop back down after a day or two. I haven't had any kind of emotional eating in a long time. Grrrr....

I'm going to get back to logging today. I hope I can get back to running soon. It's just so hot and humid. The humidity is really hard for me to run in. I have a race at the end of the month and I don't want to disappoint myself. I also have a race end of September (my half marathon) and I want to make sure I get to all of my mileage, so I really need to get back on track. I finished NROLFW - LOVED it. I really really want to start, but the author made a good point when he talked about the amount of exercise we can handle when we've got a lot of stress in our lives. I've decided that it's going to be too much for me to add anything right now. I really want to love it when I start and I think if I tried to do it now I'd hate it. So I'm going to stick with my original plan and wait until after my half in September to start lifting. I will be done with races for the year, exception might be some 5ks, but nothing with major distance. So it'll be a good time to change up my routine and let the lifting take over as the main focus.

Anyways, I hope everyone had a lovely weekend and is doing well. I'm going to try hard to get with it today.

It sounds as though you talked yourself right through your tough spot today! Great job getting right back on track today. This heat really is killer, so PLEASE use caution out there. Your decision to wait to start your lifting is a very good one considering all you have going on right now! You are working SO HARD and it will all soon pay off in a HUGE way! Allow yourself to see all the wonderful changes you have made for yourself and your family. I love that we are starting our 6th week of reset already!! (((HUGS))):flowerforyou:
    Becky
  • iluvhorses1983
    iluvhorses1983 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yea, I am on my 5th week. Everytime I eat I get a huge belly, especially after my protein shake. I definately cannot eat as many veggies as before because they are just too filling!
  • iluvhorses1983
    iluvhorses1983 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else miss the feeling of losing weight? What i mean is i started this journey nearly 6 years ago so for nearly 6 years its been all about losing (which I have been successful at)....now suddenly im at a place where im just hoping to keep my gains at a minimum...mentally its very weird for me cos it feels like im not "accomplishing" - i realise resetting my metabolism will help me long term and this is all about healing (altho that said dont know that my metabolism has really suffered) and its very hard to not want to a week into the reset just go to a cut so i can get back to working towards my ultimate goal

Well....yes. But for the past two years I have been basically stuck. Anytime I did lose, I always gained it right back. I am just ready for something to actually work!

I really like the idea of letting go and not trying to lose weight, but I have been feeling so gross lately that I am getting anxious to cut and eat less. I need this to work!

I feel the same way. I'm at the end of week 4 of my reset and am feeling really FAT! I've gained 4.2 lbs since the beginning and I'm starting to get anxious and wonder if I'm doing the right thing. I committed to 8 weeks but if I gain another 4 lbs, I'm going to cry. I wasn't going to weigh at all but I can't seem to stay away from the dumb scale. My clothes are fitting tighter and I'm starting to see those love handles again that I worked so hard to get rid of. Sigh :frown: Just feeling like I'm going backwards. Sorry for the vent.

Opal

Opal! I have the exact some thoughts and experience. Same time table too. I worked so hard before and had an almost flat belly and now I can barely fit into my jeans. =(
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options

Omgoodness. Minus the running and the thyroid issues, I feel like I could have written this myself. Hang in there. Im headed into week 6 myself, thank goodness! Seems like we are all so ready to move on to the next chapter in our lives. I agree about waiting on NROLFW. I've been debating making alot of changes myself, both to my workouts and my eating, but I think I've decided to stay CONSISTENT (I have a real love/hate relationship with that word) and not doing anything new right now. I'm already starting to plan out my strategy for my cut.
  • CampinGal34
    CampinGal34 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So, I have some "reassuring news". I'm starting week 6 of reset. Yay! 2 more weeks! So, we had a stressfull week. My husband was called out (he's a police officer) to help with wildfires/evacuations/a festival right smack in the middle of 2 wildfires...anyway, he had to leave for about a week. I am a big baby. I love my hubby, he's my best friend and helps soooo much with the stress of kids and home. So, needless to say, I was a bit "down". While he was gone, an officer he works with was killed. Sad tragic news that was hard to hear when my own husband was so far away. Anyway, my point is, during this week. I measured, logged (mostly) all my 2300 maintance calories, but was finding myself not able to finish my plate. A bit here, a little bit there. Not realizing the food I WAS'NT eating was adding up. So, weigh in today. I am down almost a full pound. I haven't had the scale budge for 4 weeks! I was slightly excited...slightly nervous that I messed up the consisitancy of my reset. I'm going to continue my 2 more weeks. But just thought I'd share. It gave me another jolt of enthusiaism that I'm finally on the right road!! Here's to a great week for everyone!!! :drinker:
    PS...hubby is now home safe and sound. :wink:
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I too feel incredibly huge although with starting reset week 4 I've only gained 2 pounds. I'm not sure as I am ignoring the scale (its in the bathroom, I stepped on it Friday and it was the same as the Friday before). So looks like I'm eating TDEE which I'm estimating about 2500 calories a day based on the scooby calculations. I've cut back on the cardio and the amount of exercise I'm doing and eating more - and maintiaining. This is fabulous. Yes, I'm excited about my first cut but focusing on building muscle right now.

CampinGal34 - thank your husband for all he does!
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ok, so listen, the body reacts according to what we do and you have been a little inconsistent. If you really want to give this program a go, the first thing is recalculate your TDEE using the correct activity level. Be completely honest with the number of hours you are working out a week. Then be consistent with eating that amount daily...every single day...

THIS^^^

Consistency is the hardest thing for me to be. Something in my rebellious DNA, I guess.

I also want to add that along with the correct activity levels, it's important to look at what types of activities you are doing and what your goal is. (See Kiki's new Results series on YouTube).

I've been training for something specific that I have to do, and to do that I need as much energy as I can get. Stamina, endurance, hard core cardio strength. I had to raise my macros (I need the carbs for bursts of energy), and instead of cutting for the next two weeks I'm doing a mini-reset because I need to eat my TDEE (I've been eating at 15% cut ... not consistently ... *ahem*).

In two weeks, I'll do a cut. It's been hard for me because I want to lose the last 10 pounds now, but I have to prepare my body to do what I'm asking it to do. So, my work outs are not long cardio, but they are very strenuous ... so the 3 to 5 hours of exercise for the moderate level works for me theoretically, but not in practice.

I think. :grumble:
  • immywolf
    immywolf Posts: 18
    Options
    In total I've only lost about 11lbs since my highest weight... and I only intend on losing 5 more. I upped my cals from being on a 1000-1200 calorie diet for 3 months (and being stuck on a plateau for 2 of those months) to 1750 (TDEE-15-20%) and I ate that for 6 weeks... I didn't lose or gain anything. Now I've decided to do a reset, and I'm on about my 5th-6th day. I haven't really lost or gained anything either, except maybe about 1lb (which I keep losing and gaining again and again and again) I think partly due to TOM and water weight.

Anyway, I've read about people saying they gain back like 10lbs when they start eating maintenance. Will that happen to me? That would be a DISASTER for me, because it would mean putting me back basically at my old weight, which I haven't weighed for almost 6 months. I would just feel like all my progress went down the drain.

However, I am already pretty lean, I'm just trying to lose a little more fat and build muscle so I can feel completely confident, fit and strong. The people saying they gained back 10-20lbs often had lost over 50lbs previously... so I'm hoping I'll only gain a small percentage of my weight back, if any.

Could someone help me?
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    In total I've only lost about 11lbs since my highest weight... and I only intend on losing 5 more. I upped my cals from being on a 1000-1200 calorie diet for 3 months (and being stuck on a plateau for 2 of those months) to 1750 (TDEE-15-20%) and I ate that for 6 weeks... I didn't lose or gain anything. Now I've decided to do a reset, and I'm on about my 5th-6th day. I haven't really lost or gained anything either, except maybe about 1lb (which I keep losing and gaining again and again and again) I think partly due to TOM and water weight.

Anyway, I've read about people saying they gain back like 10lbs when they start eating maintenance. Will that happen to me? That would be a DISASTER for me, because it would mean putting me back basically at my old weight, which I haven't weighed for almost 6 months. I would just feel like all my progress went down the drain.

However, I am already pretty lean, I'm just trying to lose a little more fat and build muscle so I can feel completely confident, fit and strong. The people saying they gained back 10-20lbs often had lost over 50lbs previously... so I'm hoping I'll only gain a small percentage of my weight back, if any.

Could someone help me?

Everyone is different, so it is hard to tell if and how much you will gain. Any gains are water weight. Sine you are eating your TDEE for a few days already and you didn't gain chances are good it will stay this way.
    When you go to your cut, we recommend to go to 10 or 15 %, not 20. If you just have to lose a few last pounds then rather do the 10% .
  • Raynn1
    Options

Could someone help me?

Everyone is different, so it is hard to tell if and how much you will gain. Any gains are water weight. Sine you are eating your TDEE for a few days already and you didn't gain chances are good it will stay this way.
    When you go to your cut, we recommend to go to 10 or 15 %, not 20. If you just have to lose a few last pounds then rather do the 10% .

As Noor said, it varies person to person. Any gains you do have are not true gains. Its impossible to gain 10 pounds of true fat by eating at maintenance. If the thought of seeing a higher number on the scale bothers you, then put the scale away for your reset. It does wonders for the soul:)
    Since you want to build muscle and lose the fat, doing a reset seems like the way to go, especially coming from a 1200 cal plan prior. Take measurements, put the scale away and just enjoy the process as best you can:)
  • immywolf
    immywolf Posts: 18
    Options

Could someone help me?

Thanks for the reply! Hopefully I will just bounce back and fourth around 1-2lbs. I just don't understand the whole thing of clothes getting tighter when eating at maintenance? Like, how does that work if it's just water weight? Is it just about having a fuller stomach from eating more? Or do some people actually gain a little fat/muscle while eating more?
    And as for eating at a 10-15% cut-I will keep that in mind, and decide depending on what happens in the future 8 weeks. I think I will try and stick as close to 10% cut as possible though.
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Well week 6 and I am up a little over 3 pounds... I know AF is due to arrive in about a day, but usually her bloat doesnt hit me until she actually arrives.. I did go over in salt yesterday, and indulged a little bit over my TDEE the last few days, so I guess I should be up... The funny thing was I saw the number on the scale and my first reaction was "Whoa!!"..but there was no "WTF???" after that, you know?

I am definitely looking forward to being done this cut though.. im getting antsy to get the show on the road.. not sure how Im going to survive on 400 cals less though!!:)
    Hope everyone is doing good!