Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• immywolf
    immywolf Posts: 18
    Options
    In total I've only lost about 11lbs since my highest weight... and I only intend on losing 5 more. I upped my cals from being on a 1000-1200 calorie diet for 3 months (and being stuck on a plateau for 2 of those months) to 1750 (TDEE-15-20%) and I ate that for 6 weeks... I didn't lose or gain anything. Now I've decided to do a reset, and I'm on about my 5th-6th day. I haven't really lost or gained anything either, except maybe about 1lb (which I keep losing and gaining again and again and again) I think partly due to TOM and water weight.

Anyway, I've read about people saying they gain back like 10lbs when they start eating maintenance. Will that happen to me? That would be a DISASTER for me, because it would mean putting me back basically at my old weight, which I haven't weighed for almost 6 months. I would just feel like all my progress went down the drain.

However, I am already pretty lean, I'm just trying to lose a little more fat and build muscle so I can feel completely confident, fit and strong. The people saying they gained back 10-20lbs often had lost over 50lbs previously... so I'm hoping I'll only gain a small percentage of my weight back, if any.

Could someone help me?

Everyone is different, so it is hard to tell if and how much you will gain. Any gains are water weight. Sine you are eating your TDEE for a few days already and you didn't gain chances are good it will stay this way.
    When you go to your cut, we recommend to go to 10 or 15 %, not 20. If you just have to lose a few last pounds then rather do the 10% .

As Noor said, it varies person to person. Any gains you do have are not true gains. Its impossible to gain 10 pounds of true fat by eating at maintenance. If the thought of seeing a higher number on the scale bothers you, then put the scale away for your reset. It does wonders for the soul:)
    Since you want to build muscle and lose the fat, doing a reset seems like the way to go, especially coming from a 1200 cal plan prior. Take measurements, put the scale away and just enjoy the process as best you can:)

Thanks for replying too! Yeah, I think I'll need to forget the scale. Will be hard, but I know it will be better for me! :) And I am actually enjoying eating more so far, I don't feel completely overly bloated and awful... for me it just means I get to eat more of the things I really like (that are healthy) till I honestly feel full! :D
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    The funny thing was I saw the number on the scale and my first reaction was "Whoa!!"..but there was no "WTF???" after that, you know?

LOL! NSV! :drinker:
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Just checkin' in.

Started week 6 yesterday, and so far I'm up a total of 4 lbs. However approx 2 of those pounds are likely due to the fact that I just got back from a long weekend camping. The sodium is a killer when you camp! So I do expect at least 1 of those pounds to go away (hopefully both! hehe) I've been eating more for a total of 13 weeks (I think) now with a total gain of 8lbs if you include the extra couple right now. Not too bad considering how long I've been stuffing my face! Hoping I'm stabilized now though.

I don't feel bloated anymore (even with the water retention right now). My wedding ring can can be slid off and on again. hehe. I am at a point now that the idea of eating less isn't terribly appealing, but I still feel uncomfortable in my clothes, so that makes me a bit miserable and anxious to cut. I am so glad I've managed to get to the point of not feeling stuffed, or full at the end of the day. I usually have to watch my intake now to ensure I don't go over. I don't even have to be in the middle of a hungry beast day to have that problem! So I know it's legit. :laugh:

Almost there...3 weeks...
  • rr85114
    rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Right. Taking the plunge and upping from eating my cut (2100) which has seen the same 0.5kg come and go repeatedly to my TDEE of 2480. I'm TERRIFIED but excited. I want to do this right! I thought I could go straight to my cut and lose but I've been moving ever so slightly in the same 0.5kg range for the past 2.5 weeks. 

Upping to TDEE is the right thing to do, right? I'm scared of gaining, especially because Im down to my last 6kg, but the good thing is I'm visiting family for 6 weeks and won't have access to a scale! Only my trusty measuring tape!

I also confess that I went about 1200 over TDEE today, thanks to impending TOM and an unquenchable desire for bad, bad food. 
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    just checkin in...i'll be done week 2 tomorrow of eating at TDEE. Gradually upped my cals since March from around 1000 to now at 2000. Today and yesterday i've been soooooo tired. It just hit me like a ton of bricks. Previously I had just been on a high--energy kick from coming off 1800 cals. Then almost 2 weeks of 2000 cals and i'm like whoooaaaa what the hell? Been on holdays for the last week and just takin it easy, so no extra energy spent there. So just gonna work through it....still trying to ignore it actually. Weight-wise....I never weighed myself till I got home a couple days ago and I was 148.4 when I left. When I got home I was 152, next day 150 and this morning i'm back to 148. So other then the lack of energy, guess i'm faring pretty well over-all. Still not sure how long i'm gonna be doing this My original thought was 2 weeks and that's tomorrow so i'll see...I hate to say it (cause i'm REALLY dying to get this weight off me) but i'll probably go longer to see how my body reacts to it.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    just checkin in...i'll be done week 2 tomorrow of eating at TDEE. Gradually upped my cals since March from around 1000 to now at 2000. Today and yesterday i've been soooooo tired. It just hit me like a ton of bricks. Previously I had just been on a high--energy kick from coming off 1800 cals. Then almost 2 weeks of 2000 cals and i'm like whoooaaaa what the hell? Been on holdays for the last week and just takin it easy, so no extra energy spent there. So just gonna work through it....still trying to ignore it actually. Weight-wise....I never weighed myself till I got home a couple days ago and I was 148.4 when I left. When I got home I was 152, next day 150 and this morning i'm back to 148. So other then the lack of energy, guess i'm faring pretty well over-all. Still not sure how long i'm gonna be doing this My original thought was 2 weeks and that's tomorrow so i'll see...I hate to say it (cause i'm REALLY dying to get this weight off me) but i'll probably go longer to see how my body reacts to it.

Going longer would be a good idea. Your body needs more time to adjust to eating at TDEE - especially since you had been eating at 1000 calories. A lot of people on here have hit a fatigue phase at some point during the reset (I might be in the middle of one), so the fatigue could definitely be part of your body adjusting.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Seems AF a bit early.. so that would explain a gain this morning.. Bah!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    This sounds so like me - LIttle older (50) but also 5'1", but I lost almost 80 pounds on WW and was within 5 pounds of goal when they changed the program to PPin 11/10 (and that was what... a year and a half ago? Coincidence?). I gained from 137 to 150-ish over that period of time despite being on program. So frustrating! I also upped my calories on 6/2 so we are right there together!

Hi SK! Yes, the change in WW definitely made a difference. At first it was great, it kind of reenergized me after being on WW for so long but then I started to gain. Thanks for posting. It's nice to have someone at the exact same point in this journey.
    [/quote]

I know this post is old but if you're still around I just wanted to say that I had the same issue with WW when they changed the program to PP. I had really great success with winning points and the flex programs but once they changed it I actually started gaining weight despite being strict with the program. So you're not alone!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Posted this question on the other site, but since many of us are still here, well...

So I'm in the last week of the reset (8 weeks) and I start NROLFW on Sunday. I've only gained 2.5 pounds and lost a few cm.
    Should I go for the cut (10%) or continue maintenance for level 1? Not really concerned about the scale, but would like to be a smaller size.

All thoughts are welcome!
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I'm a little late to the party, but after 9 weeks at cut (with decent results, I might add!) I thought it might be time for a little spurt of eating at TDEE...I'm going to go at least 2 weeks, but might go the full 8...not really sure yet. Just don't want my body to think my cut is my TDEE, so that's where I'm at...

I'll check back with you all in two weeks and let you know what's up!!! Keep with it, ladies and gents! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    This sounds so like me - LIttle older (50) but also 5'1", but I lost almost 80 pounds on WW and was within 5 pounds of goal when they changed the program to PPin 11/10 (and that was what... a year and a half ago? Coincidence?). I gained from 137 to 150-ish over that period of time despite being on program. So frustrating! I also upped my calories on 6/2 so we are right there together!

Hi SK! Yes, the change in WW definitely made a difference. At first it was great, it kind of reenergized me after being on WW for so long but then I started to gain. Thanks for posting. It's nice to have someone at the exact same point in this journey.

I know this post is old but if you're still around I just wanted to say that I had the same issue with WW when they changed the program to PP. I had really great success with winning points and the flex programs but once they changed it I actually started gaining weight despite being strict with the program. So you're not alone!
    [/quote]

I'm still around - there are a lot of us out there that did well with the "old" points plan but gained on the new. And yet people still say if you were eating at a calorie deficit you should lose weight. Logically, I agree but yet I didn't. Even if I went over in PP to 35 PP a day instead of 26-29 PP, that would have been 1400 calories a day and I burn at at least 1500 on very laid back days (with a tested RMR of 1280). Not to mention that the 35 PP would be allowable if I used the weekly points to supplement. Oh, well...... it happened.... Since I have essentially been on a VLCD since 2006 I am doing a reset now. Finished up week 4 last Saturday, will probably do 6 weeks.

Good luck in your journey!

Susan
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I'm a little late to the party, but after 9 weeks at cut (with decent results, I might add!) I thought it might be time for a little spurt of eating at TDEE...I'm going to go at least 2 weeks, but might go the full 8...not really sure yet. Just don't want my body to think my cut is my TDEE, so that's where I'm at...

I'll check back with you all in two weeks and let you know what's up!!! Keep with it, ladies and gents! :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Great, that you already had results. It is really important to make diet breaks to keep your metabolism up
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options

Welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Just wanted to pop in. I'm still struggling with fatigue. At this point I'm sure it's a combo of the fatigue phase during metabolism reset that many have experienced and the horrible heat wave. I've taken the week off of any kind of working out. I'm just going to rest rest rest and hopefully resume next week. I have a 7 mile race at the end of this month, so I do want to get back on track, but I also feel like I should just rest now.

I'm in the middle of week six - woot! It's hard to believe I'm getting so close to the end of eight weeks. That being said, I want to make sure my energy level stabilizes before I drop to cut. So I'm hoping it does so before the end of eight weeks. If not, I might be in this reset longer than I'd really like. But I want to do what's right for my body, so I'm going to hang in here and listen to my body!
  • macnurseapril
    macnurseapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    So I haven't actually cut yet. I weighed in post vacayand despite eating at TDEE or around there, I'm up 3lbs. I was pretty stable at 264, but every other day since last friday I've been 267.

I think I need another week or so at reset. I have looked at my macros, and my carbs are almost always way over, my protein is at or under, and my sodium is at or above. I don't feel bloated, but maybe that's part of it?

I decided another week at TDEE could only be helpful.

I think.

Maybe.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    So I haven't actually cut yet. I weighed in post vacayand despite eating at TDEE or around there, I'm up 3lbs. I was pretty stable at 264, but every other day since last friday I've been 267.

I think I need another week or so at reset. I have looked at my macros, and my carbs are almost always way over, my protein is at or under, and my sodium is at or above. I don't feel bloated, but maybe that's part of it?

I think.

Maybe.

It's possible that during your vacay your sodium was up higher than usual with eating out and such. I'm working harder with my protein also. I'm going to be buying some ground turkey as well as frozen turkey burgers my next grocery trip. I keep coming across those in people's diaries!
  • Raynn1
    Options
    AF arrived a day early, so the scale isnt showing a nice maintenance number.. I also went a little over TDEE a few days over the weekend, so Im not surprised if there is a slight gain from that.. FUny how I would feel guilty as hell with indulging even 50 cals over on a VLC plan, but lately, Ive been more of a "oh well" sort of mind.. I guess knowing that Im not actually planning on losing at this point, I might as well enjoy the occasional overage, right?:) Im not talking crazy.. ive barely been 100-150 cals over.. :)

Anyways.. diving into week 6 .. Honestly I never expected to go this far, so thats a plus for me..
  • Raynn1
    Options

I think.

Maybe.

It's possible that during your vacay your sodium was up higher than usual with eating out and such. I'm working harder with my protein also. I'm going to be buying some ground turkey as well as frozen turkey burgers my next grocery trip. I keep coming across those in people's diaries!

Go for another wee, then see where you are at next week.. Id imagine vacay kind of muddled things up a bit for you:)
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to pop in. I'm still struggling with fatigue. At this point I'm sure it's a combo of the fatigue phase during metabolism reset that many have experienced and the horrible heat wave. I've taken the week off of any kind of working out. I'm just going to rest rest rest and hopefully resume next week. I have a 7 mile race at the end of this month, so I do want to get back on track, but I also feel like I should just rest now.

I'm in the middle of week six - woot! It's hard to believe I'm getting so close to the end of eight weeks. That being said, I want to make sure my energy level stabilizes before I drop to cut. So I'm hoping it does so before the end of eight weeks. If not, I might be in this reset longer than I'd really like. But I want to do what's right for my body, so I'm going to hang in here and listen to my body!

Awesome job, listening to your body! Definitely love hearing this!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Sweatpants, are you running the Bix7? I am and so is another member on this thread! Small world :tongue:

On Sunday I decided to cut out my running and lower my TDEE. I will still run/walk the Bix but just eat more that day. I am still tired but not as much and so far today I haven't had to take any Tylenol for a headache which is a first since I had upped to TDEE (hope I didn't speak too soon!) Also TOM will start any day and I don't have any terrible PMS like I did last time. Its only about 300 calories less than when I was running but it sure seems to be making a difference. :happy: I even wake up hungry again! When I went up to full TDEE reset I pretty much stopped ever being really hungry. It sounds odd, but its nice to wake up super hungry and being able to actually eat!

While I feel like I have hit a nice "sweet spot" to finish out the reset, I hope I didn't screw anything up by making a change so close to the end. I can definitely tell I feel better which is great, but still worry that I should have stuck it out these last 2 1/2 wks just to be sure. But I like that I am eating less crap to fill in the gaps but I am still eating plenty, 2371 cals. Although that seems like a lot, it can go quick!

Hope you all enjoy your day!