Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm here. Chugging along I guess! I'm looking forward to next week. Thus far, the forecast for next week is highs in the mid-80s. I'll take that - so much better than upper 90s - low 100s.

Physically I think I'm starting to feel refreshed, but I don't know. I'm off work yesterday and today, so it could just be that...lol!

I'm really irritated as during my funk last weekend I forgot to log in on Saturday and lost my huge streak. When MFP informed me today that I'd logged in for five days I deleted it. It just ticked me off. I'm not sure why I care about something like a log-in streak, but there you have it.
  • rr85114
    rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Argh!!! I keep chickening out!

So after 2 weeks of eating at cut (and pretty much no change in weight - kept losing/gaining the same half kilo), I decided to do a reset, starting this Monday.

I keep going over TDEE (I've been travelling so the past 2 days have been a complete mess, food-wise). But I'm back on track, hopefully, today. Already clocked in some serious exercise so I'm feeling great.

I keep getting nervous though, and ACTUALLY go into my MFP settings and change my TDEE goal of 2480 back down to my cut, 2110. Mainly because over previous 2 weeks I got comfortable eating at that level, knowing that I wouldn't gain any weight there.

But now.... that extra 370 calories is terrorising me a bit, and I keep chickening out! Please help me fully commit to a reset!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options

So after 2 weeks of eating at cut (and pretty much no change in weight - kept losing/gaining the same half kilo), I decided to do a reset, starting this Monday.

I keep going over TDEE (I've been travelling so the past 2 days have been a complete mess, food-wise). But I'm back on track, hopefully, today. Already clocked in some serious exercise so I'm feeling great.

I keep getting nervous though, and ACTUALLY go into my MFP settings and change my TDEE goal of 2480 back down to my cut, 2110. Mainly because over previous 2 weeks I got comfortable eating at that level, knowing that I wouldn't gain any weight there.

But now.... that extra 370 calories is terrorising me a bit, and I keep chickening out! Please help me fully commit to a reset!

So much of this is a mental game. When I first upped my calories in April I thought I was kind of nuts. But I did it and I'm sooooo glad that I did. Why try to sustain on less food when I can sustain on more? Reset has helped my body understand that food is in good supply. There's no shortage - no need to hold onto fat. More food is always coming. This is what I want my body to know as I enter my cut phase. I want my body to *think* "Hey, I can get rid of this fat because I know more fuel is coming. I don't want my body to resist me during cut because it's not sure of the food supply.

So what I'm trying to say is that not committing to this is going to be counterproductive to your goals. Reset is about getting our body to a point where it lets go of fat willingly!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

Not sure if I am the biggest help today, since I was whining myself.
    But if you didn't lose anything at your cut, go for the reset. Just jump into it. It can be really hard mentally at times, but I am sure you can do it. Set yourself a certain day to start with and just go for it. Your body will thank it to you on the long haul.
  • Noor13
    Options
    Well, I'm here. Chugging along I guess! I'm looking forward to next week. Thus far, the forecast for next week is highs in the mid-80s. I'll take that - so much better than upper 90s - low 100s.

Physically I think I'm starting to feel refreshed, but I don't know. I'm off work yesterday and today, so it could just be that...lol!

I'm really irritated as during my funk last weekend I forgot to log in on Saturday and lost my huge streak. When MFP informed me today that I'd logged in for five days I deleted it. It just ticked me off. I'm not sure why I care about something like a log-in streak, but there you have it.
    Glad to hear you are feeling better.
    It can be really hard at time, right?
    But we will do it together.
    This is why I love this group so much-there are always people who care about you.
  • rr85114
    Options

So much of this is a mental game. When I first upped my calories in April I thought I was kind of nuts. But I did it and I'm sooooo glad that I did. Why try to sustain on less food when I can sustain on more? Reset has helped my body understand that food is in good supply. There's no shortage - no need to hold onto fat. More food is always coming. This is what I want my body to know as I enter my cut phase. I want my body to *think* "Hey, I can get rid of this fat because I know more fuel is coming. I don't want my body to resist me during cut because it's not sure of the food supply.

So what I'm trying to say is that not committing to this is going to be counterproductive to your goals. Reset is about getting our body to a point where it lets go of fat willingly!

Your post completely hit me in the way that I needed. Call me creepy but I'm going to copy & paste your response and send it in an email to myself to read when I have moments of doubt. Thanks a million - your support is totally invaluable!
  • rr85114
    Options

Not sure if I am the biggest help today, since I was whining myself.
    But if you didn't lose anything at your cut, go for the reset. Just jump into it. It can be really hard mentally at times, but I am sure you can do it. Set yourself a certain day to start with and just go for it. Your body will thank it to you on the long haul.

Whine shmine- you're allowed! No doubt I'll be whining very shortly :P

You're totally right about it being mental more than anything. I think another thing I struggle with is because it's basically impossible to 'lose weight' while eating at TDEE seeing as I'm maintaining, thanks to my old 'exercise heaps and eat nothing to drop kilos' mindset, I have to adjust my thinking to accept that I need to exercise just as hard as I have been, if not harder, WHILE I'm maintaining, because in the end, when I'm svelte and have the body of my dreams, I'M STILL GONNA HAVE TO EXERCISE! Hahah. Vicious cycle baby!

Thank you for the support :)
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

Wow~ I just had the same thing happen~ I was up to 110 days in a row of logging when I went on vacation Saturday!!!:angry:

Now we have start all over again:sad: :sad: :sad:

(whining feels good~perhaps I'll do some more......)
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Not feeling good today. I almost done with week 5 of the rest.

TOM is around the corner and I know I have gained cause non of my pants fits nicely any more and feel all jiggly and blah!

Before I started the reset I got a pair of UK size 10 jeans-they fit me nicely then and now I look like a sausage in them.

I know it will not last, but today it's just too much. I am usually not an emotional person but when I tried on my jeans I :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: today.

And even though I know that this is the right way to go-for the first time today I had a thought of quitting. And believe me I am usually not a quitter. i am a very determined person if I fight for something and if I want something.

Hope you guys are feeling good though

I am really starting to think there is something about finishing up week 4 and week 5. I felt exactly like you. I am not a whiner or cry easily. Ok, I may whine for a bit to myself but then I get over it. Those two weeks were really hard for me and it seemed like others as well. It felt like a breaking point, too much to handle and I even thought of quitting. I have loved EM2WL up until that point which made me upset in itself since I still believe in it so then I was mad for not loving it like I had!

I ended up starting week 6 by lowering my activity and TDEE level to cut out my running since my heart wasn't in it. I feel a million times better. I have a lot of stupid stress right now and plans fell through last minute and on and on....something had to give and since I am not a quitter:wink: , I chose to lessen my cardio for now.

Hang in there, hopefully week 6 will be better for you, too!
  • rosied915
    Options

TOM is around the corner and I know I have gained cause non of my pants fits nicely any more and feel all jiggly and blah!

Before I started the reset I got a pair of UK size 10 jeans-they fit me nicely then and now I look like a sausage in them.

I know it will not last, but today it's just too much. I am usually not an emotional person but when I tried on my jeans I :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: today.

And even though I know that this is the right way to go-for the first time today I had a thought of quitting. And believe me I am usually not a quitter. i am a very determined person if I fight for something and if I want something.

:smooched: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: for your awesome whine!!

(and you KNOW that those jeans will be on you in no time!!! Feel better yet?) OK, here's some more:
    :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    This is week 8 on the reset for me and this is the first week I've been significantly up on the scale (1.8 pounds). Before that I was only up 1.2 over a 7 week period. It's also the first week that I've had a BodyMedia core. It says my average for this past week was 2570 which is 200 cals more that what I've been eating (per Scooby).
    I really didn't think I was doing that much...walk the dog 1-2x a day, total of 4-5 hrs/wk (yes moderate activity). The only thing I've done extra this week was clean the carpet yesterday (but that was only an extra 100 cals burned).
    So, I guess I'll bump it up to 2570 this week to see what happens.
    Right?
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    This is week 8 on the reset for me and this is the first week I've been significantly up on the scale (1.8 pounds). Before that I was only up 1.2 over a 7 week period. It's also the first week that I've had a BodyMedia core. It says my average for this past week was 2570 which is 200 cals more that what I've been eating (per Scooby).
    I really didn't think I was doing that much...walk the dog 1-2x a day, total of 4-5 hrs/wk (yes moderate activity). The only thing I've done extra this week was clean the carpet yesterday (but that was only an extra 100 cals burned).
    Right?

I wouldn't bump it up yet. Wear your CORE for a few more weeks and take an average from that. The first week can be a great indicator of your average, but sometimes we move more just because we have it...Let yourself get used to it for a few weeks, take a 3 week average and go by that number.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Wow~ I just had the same thing happen~ I was up to 110 days in a row of logging when I went on vacation Saturday!!!:angry:

I have been thinking about this because I know it'll happen to me too when I go on holidays. We boondock in an area with no 3G/Wifi service at all....totally off grid....which, normally, I love...but to lose the streak...dang....!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

I hear you! It seems a lot of us hit the wall hard at 5-6 weeks. Sounds like we have another "step" in our reset to warn people about:)
    You know you are doing the right thing. It will show off in the end.. short term pain, long term gain, right?:)
    Hugs
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Right?

Im jealous of you on two fronts...
    1. You have a Body Fit Media..
    2. You are on week 8

That is all..:laugh:
  • Noor13
    Options
    Just wanted to thank you all to help through this day.
    Interesting to know that between 5-6 so many of us seemed to have troubles.
    It really is a blessing to have this group. The support on here is just beyond words.

This is for you, Ladies
    :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • rosied915
    Options
    Right?

2. You are on week 8

for Raynn cause honesty is always the best policy:
    :flowerforyou: :heart: :smooched: :flowerforyou: :heart: :smooched: :flowerforyou: :heart: :smooched: :flowerforyou: :heart: :smooched:
  • carriea67
    carriea67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Okay rookie reset question alert.....

So how are you all defining "weight stabilization" to determine that you have reached your TDEE? My weight gain is teetering between 2 pounds but has been consistent for the past week (didn't step on the scale for the month of June).

I am thinking I am there but need some handholding I suppose....
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Right?

2. You are on week 8

Don't be too jealous, I just decided to extend my reset for 4 more weeks. Starting New Rules Sunday, will adjust cals to account for the increase in activity.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options

I have been thinking about this because I know it'll happen to me too when I go on holidays. We boondock in an area with no 3G/Wifi service at all....totally off grid....which, normally, I love...but to lose the streak...dang....!

Feeling your pain....was away on vaca for a week, logged in every day, got back home only to find my internet had been down the whole time I was gone, due to "technical difficulties". By the time it got back up I had missed one day logging in. Five or so days previous I had just hit my 140th login. Sooooo unfair ;(