Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    so get this...last night, for the first time since I started EM2WL, I went to bed slightly HUNGRY!!!! :noway:
    I ate all my cals, but my body wanted more...:drinker:
    I'm so excited! This has to be a good thing....lol.

(edited to add...this is not during a time of beastly hunger...this was just a normal day....that's why I find it so awesome. :smile: )
  • cca1229
    cca1229 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ok, checking in today, into week 5 and boy is it getting to me. Up about 4 pounds but just feeling so sluggish. In the beginning I had so much energy but now the fatigue has set in and my motivation is at an all time low. Feeling like I want to throw in the towel cuz I want to feel and look better. Still lifting 3 days a week but that is even feeling like a chore now where before it felt like a great goal to look and feel better.....blah! I'll have a little cheese with my whine please! Would someone mind double checking my numbers? I'm second guessing everything right now.

Age 57
    Weight 184
    Height 5'6
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Ok, checking in today, into week 5 and boy is it getting to me. Up about 4 pounds but just feeling so sluggish. In the beginning I had so much energy but now the fatigue has set in and my motivation is at an all time low. Feeling like I want to throw in the towel cuz I want to feel and look better. Still lifting 3 days a week but that is even feeling like a chore now where before it felt like a great goal to look and feel better.....blah! I'll have a little cheese with my whine please! Would someone mind double checking my numbers? I'm second guessing everything right now.

Age 57
    Weight 184
    Height 5'6

I ran your numbers. At moderately active I have your TDEE at 2311. I'm not sure how much you're burning and how often. If this is too high, the lightly active number is 2050.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Sweatpants, are you running the Bix7? I am and so is another member on this thread! Small world :tongue:

On Sunday I decided to cut out my running and lower my TDEE. I will still run/walk the Bix but just eat more that day. I am still tired but not as much and so far today I haven't had to take any Tylenol for a headache which is a first since I had upped to TDEE (hope I didn't speak too soon!) Also TOM will start any day and I don't have any terrible PMS like I did last time. Its only about 300 calories less than when I was running but it sure seems to be making a difference. :happy: I even wake up hungry again! When I went up to full TDEE reset I pretty much stopped ever being really hungry. It sounds odd, but its nice to wake up super hungry and being able to actually eat!

While I feel like I have hit a nice "sweet spot" to finish out the reset, I hope I didn't screw anything up by making a change so close to the end. I can definitely tell I feel better which is great, but still worry that I should have stuck it out these last 2 1/2 wks just to be sure. But I like that I am eating less crap to fill in the gaps but I am still eating plenty, 2371 cals. Although that seems like a lot, it can go quick!

Hope you all enjoy your day!

I AM running the Bix7! Who else is running it besides us? That's awesome! I entered in the slowest possible running group...lol!
  • cca1229
    Options
    I had originally started at the higher number, thinking I was moderate, gained a couple of pounds but then I dropped down to the lightly active number and have since gained a couple more. Maybe I didn't do that right, which of course right now is a big fear of mine. :grumble: Thank you for checking for me!!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

I AM running the Bix7! Who else is running it besides us? That's awesome! I entered in the slowest possible running group...lol!

Bethad5. Its that 7 miles, I catch it everytime since its sort of an odd run. Usually its a 3k, 5k, 10k and so on.:drinker:
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone! After re-reading Kiki's post about reset minimums being 4-6 weeks and how you know you're ready to go to cut, I've decided that I will start my cut tomorrow. It's been 5+ weeks and my body is where Kiki described it should be. With exercising just 3-4 days/week for 45 min each time, it puts me in a lower calorie amount than what I'd eaten during my reset. During the reset, I had overestimated my exercise level because we hadn't really gotten to do 6 days a week as I had estimated. My actual TDEE should have been 1940. I was eating 2280 (whoops!).

So, starting tomorrow, I will go to a 10% cut which equals 1750/day. Time to start eating lots more filling veggies as I know I'm going to feel HUNGRY!

Hang in there everyone as many of you are closing in on your cut dates, too!

Becky
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    So tomorrow makes 2 wks of reset. I'm not feeling bloated, or tired. I'm having no trouble eating enough, though I had a little trouble intitially make sure my 40/30/30 was good (mainly eating to many carbs, story of my life). My weight is exactly where it was before I started EM2WL and has only flucuated here and there. Mainly after salty dinners or exercise, etc. Granted its only been two weeks, but I've been tracking my weight a long time and it seems to be staying the same. It feels like maybe my met has already reset? Does it take longer for the "side effects" to kick in?
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'm mid week through week 4. I also have a thyroid problem and its TOM. I am exhausted - sleeping 9-10 hours a night and needing a nap on days I can nap. When you guys are talking about fatigue what are you experiencing? I'm wondering if I need to go to doctor to check my thyroid again or if its just the result of going through this process. Any thoughts?
  • cca1229
    Options
    Hello, everyone! After re-reading Kiki's post about reset minimums being 4-6 weeks and how you know you're ready to go to cut, I've decided that I will start my cut tomorrow. It's been 5+ weeks and my body is where Kiki described it should be. With exercising just 3-4 days/week for 45 min each time, it puts me in a lower calorie amount than what I'd eaten during my reset. During the reset, I had overestimated my exercise level because we hadn't really gotten to do 6 days a week as I had estimated. My actual TDEE should have been 1940. I was eating 2280 (whoops!).

So, starting tomorrow, I will go to a 10% cut which equals 1750/day. Time to start eating lots more filling veggies as I know I'm going to feel HUNGRY!

Becky

Becky could you share that post please?
  • Settuccini
    Settuccini Posts: 44
    Options
    Hi everyone! New to this and am, like everyone else, quite nervous!

I'm a 20 year old female, who's 5'2.5" and 114 pounds. I used to be 97 pounds, eating a 650 calorie diet, before I couldn't take it anymore and stopped caring. I began drinking 3 times a week (I know, shameful) with a horrible diet that yoyo'd every day from 750-850 calories to 1600 calories (drinking days, ugh, so horrible of me). I gained 17 pounds in three months.I realized then what awful things I was doing to my body, and whenever I was 114 pounds, it was a huge wake-up call. Thus, I began the process all over again, only this time I was eating 850~ calories. Still not good. I have since completely stopped drinking, and am still in the process of completely cleaning my diet.

Came across this lovely group and I'm slowly trying to overcome whatever eating disorder this is, upping my calories slowly, but surely! I've been eating 1,000+ calories a day for the passed few days withOUT feeling guilty. I know it's not much, but it's HUGE progress for me. I want to reach up to 1350 eventually, but I'm so full and bloated, it's hard to fit that much food in! However, I know I'm making the right decision in doing this. I just know it.

Thanks for all the posts everyone has made, it keeps me confident and on track!

Also, anyone else attempting this with Hypo? Do you lower your calories slightly at all to make up for the fact that our metabolisms are naturally wonky?
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Becky

Becky could you share that post please?

Here it is:
    Note: From Kiki: "4-6 weeks is minimum, 8-12 is even better. I did take 3+ months, because most research that I'd done showed that it could take up 6 months, and I didn't wanna chance it, & quit early. It's personal, which is why there is no definite time given. The whole point of the reset is for the individual to get in touch with their own body and understand it better. Most people will rush the process, which is fine, because, they feel overly bloated and full (& again, it's personal) The only thing to consider with that is that there is a high probability that if you're still feeling stuffed, you haven't fully reset. So as far as signs to look for, that was mine. When I went to cut, I had completely "plateaued." Meaning, I was no longer gaining and did not feel overly stuffed. I didn't have any more bloating, & was completely comfortable eating that amount of food. When people are feeling "relieved" at the thought of cutting, because they are looking forward to less food, it's kind of a red flag for me, that things aren't *completely* fixed. But, at the very least, they've eaten at higher cals long enough to give the metabolism a little boost, & if they take diet breaks every 6-10 wks, it can typically still work out fine."
  • FatSlayer1016
    FatSlayer1016 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello All!

I am new to EMTWL and like many newbies am rather confused. I was hoping I could get some advice on whether I should do a reset or not.

My BMR is 1798 and my TDEE is 2782. I took a look at my net calories since I started on May 12th and I have been eating under my BMR since that time, with a few days exception. I haven't stepped on the scale in almost two weeks so I don't know how that is going, and quite frankly don't care. Should I do a reset or just go ahead and eat at cut?
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    so get this...last night, for the first time since I started EM2WL, I went to bed slightly HUNGRY!!!! :noway:
    I ate all my cals, but my body wanted more...:drinker:
    I'm so excited! This has to be a good thing....lol.

(edited to add...this is not during a time of beastly hunger...this was just a normal day....that's why I find it so awesome. :smile: )

Great-a good sign for sure
  • Noor13
    Options
    Hello All!

I am new to EMTWL and like many newbies am rather confused. I was hoping I could get some advice on whether I should do a reset or not.

My BMR is 1798 and my TDEE is 2782. I took a look at my net calories since I started on May 12th and I have been eating under my BMR since that time, with a few days exception. I haven't stepped on the scale in almost two weeks so I don't know how that is going, and quite frankly don't care. Should I do a reset or just go ahead and eat at cut?
    Hi and Welcome to the group.

There are a lot of pinned threads-if you want to read through them as they are packed with great information about the concept of EM2WL.
    If you have been on a VLCD for a while you want to consider a metabolism reset. which means eating at your TDEE for 8 weeks. Since it has not been a long time you can also try to eat at your cut Value (10-15% of your TDEE). if you do not lose with this amount, you can still consider doing the reset
    Just give us a shout if you need anything
  • Noor13
    Options
    Not feeling good today. I almost done with week 5 of the rest.

TOM is around the corner and I know I have gained cause non of my pants fits nicely any more and feel all jiggly and blah!

Before I started the reset I got a pair of UK size 10 jeans-they fit me nicely then and now I look like a sausage in them.

I know it will not last, but today it's just too much. I am usually not an emotional person but when I tried on my jeans I :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: today.

And even though I know that this is the right way to go-for the first time today I had a thought of quitting. And believe me I am usually not a quitter. i am a very determined person if I fight for something and if I want something.

Hope you guys are feeling good though
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options

TOM is around the corner and I know I have gained cause non of my pants fits nicely any more and feel all jiggly and blah!

Before I started the reset I got a pair of UK size 10 jeans-they fit me nicely then and now I look like a sausage in them.

I know it will not last, but today it's just too much. I am usually not an emotional person but when I tried on my jeans I :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: today.

And even though I know that this is the right way to go-for the first time today I had a thought of quitting. And believe me I am usually not a quitter. i am a very determined person if I fight for something and if I want something.

Noor, just think how great it will be when you try on those jeans and they fit just perfect, or even better, when they're too big!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    I had originally started at the higher number, thinking I was moderate, gained a couple of pounds but then I dropped down to the lightly active number and have since gained a couple more. Maybe I didn't do that right, which of course right now is a big fear of mine. :grumble: Thank you for checking for me!!

I suspect you might have dropped down to the lower number too soon. It's normal to gain a few pounds when you first go to TDEE. If your activity is moderate, go up to the higher number and eat that consistently for a good month. Any weight gain should slow and your weight should stabilize somewhat. But it could take your body a good four weeks at least to adjust to the higher calorie amount. So if there's any tweaking to be done, it should definitely wait until your body has had at least a month of eating at TDEE.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!:drinker:

I'm finally back after an extended weekend away then coming home to out of town guests staying at my house~ whew~ am I tired now!:yawn:

I am about 1 and 1/2 weeks into my Reset and seem to be on track with everyone else's experiences~ a mixture of the good and bad~ bloated, but getting hungry more and more: coming to realize how certain foods affect me and which ones make me feel the best (protein, the clear winner); looking a bit puffy yet my clothes still fit OK (??, just going with it).:huh:

And, like a lot of you, the heat here in NJ is unbearable and taking it's toll on me. I am particularly heat sensitive having MS.

I took this week off of NROLFW because of all the plans I had and I am really feeling it~ can't wait to get back to it!! We were in the mountains over the weekend and all the walking around was challenging so I got some exercise that way.

So having a nice, lazy, getting back to normal kind of day here......

Hugs to all~ everyone hang in there~ still believe in the process and I KNOW that I am healing, I can FEEL it!!:heart:
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options

((HUGS)) Hang in there. We all have those moments of "This isn't working!" even though we know that it is. But it's hard because it can be such a slow process. Just think, those jeans will fit you better than ever at some point. You're well past the halfway point on your reset!