Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• carriea67
    carriea67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help Raynn!

I have to admit I'm still ambiguous about the TDEE or TDEE-15%. My head has a tendency towards TDEE but my feeling screams that it's going to be too much. So stupid!

And it has to be 2400 cals of 'clean' food, right? No junk... that's going to be a lot!
    But the fact that I'm dreading to do this is probably all the more reason to go ahead and up my cals. I hate feeling so insecure about this!
    I plan to up my calories slowly for a few weeks and then maintain for 4 weeks. The whole process is going to take a bit longer but hopefully this way it can be an anxiety-free experience.

How do you all get your proteins up to the required number? Is everybody doing multiple protein shakes? I'd like to limit those to 1 a day. I have started to drink more milk and have a yoghurt as my afternoon snack, but it's still not enough to meet my protein goals (which I set at 30% of my current 1799 cals). I know that cottage cheese ought to be good, but can't stand the consistency.
    If my question is inappropriate here, could you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!! You're all such an inspiration!

The mental challenge of this process is one of the hardest things to overcome....just keep coming back to the forums and read the stickies and watch the videos and come to this post. I have found once you start to feed the voice in your head - she quiets down pretty quickly :wink: .

The best part about this process is that it is a whole life change...not a diet. So yes ideally we all would eat our TDEE of clean calories but guess what - life happens and sometimes you want that ice cream or french fries or adult beverage....there are no "restricted" foods. I aim to make more healthy choices than not but don't even blink an eye at eating pizza or spaghetti. My one thing is I try to have some sort of protein at every meal but that I mainly because I have a tough time hitting that macro.

So for protein - I do one shake (made with almond milk) in the morning and then greek yogurt; beans; peanut butter (an all-time fav or mine); nuts; cheese sticks; lean meats. I feel ya about cottage cheese :sick: yuck! I wish I did like it though because of the amount of protein it has......

Friend me if you want to look at my diary....
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

I have to admit I'm still ambiguous about the TDEE or TDEE-15%. My head has a tendency towards TDEE but my feeling screams that it's going to be too much. So stupid!

And it has to be 2400 cals of 'clean' food, right? No junk... that's going to be a lot!
    But the fact that I'm dreading to do this is probably all the more reason to go ahead and up my cals. I hate feeling so insecure about this!
    I plan to up my calories slowly for a few weeks and then maintain for 4 weeks. The whole process is going to take a bit longer but hopefully this way it can be an anxiety-free experience.

How do you all get your proteins up to the required number? Is everybody doing multiple protein shakes? I'd like to limit those to 1 a day. I have started to drink more milk and have a yoghurt as my afternoon snack, but it's still not enough to meet my protein goals (which I set at 30% of my current 1799 cals). I know that cottage cheese ought to be good, but can't stand the consistency.
    If my question is inappropriate here, could you please point me in the right direction?

The mental challenge of this process is one of the hardest things to overcome....just keep coming back to the forums and read the stickies and watch the videos and come to this post. I have found once you start to feed the voice in your head - she quiets down pretty quickly :wink: .

The best part about this process is that it is a whole life change...not a diet. So yes ideally we all would eat our TDEE of clean calories but guess what - life happens and sometimes you want that ice cream or french fries or adult beverage....there are no "restricted" foods. I aim to make more healthy choices than not but don't even blink an eye at eating pizza or spaghetti. My one thing is I try to have some sort of protein at every meal but that I mainly because I have a tough time hitting that macro.

So for protein - I do one shake (made with almond milk) in the morning and then greek yogurt; beans; peanut butter (an all-time fav or mine); nuts; cheese sticks; lean meats. I feel ya about cottage cheese :sick: yuck! I wish I did like it though because of the amount of protein it has......

The mental games are the hardest. But once you get past the first few weeks, it stops being so loud and controlling over you. Honestly, I would just jump right up to TDEE rather than slowly build up. Had I known that back then, I would have done TDEE right away rather than 6 weeks at cut with no change... Id be a good 5 weeks into cut now had I:)

As for protein, I have to get in 210 or more grams a day and I have hardly ever gotten there:) But I do get well over 160 most days. I do have a protein shake daily, and I likely have a protein bar as well.. Id like to eventually stop relying on those so much, but being as heavy as I am, I need to get the protein in and its incredibly hard without them. outside of those, I eat a lot of greek yogurt, milk, cheese, nuts, edamame beans and lean meats.. its a work in progress, but way better than I ever was.

Eat at TDEE does mean more cals, but you can still incorporate your treats into it. Actually its way better this way, because you dont feel so guilty about having something now.

two weeks left for me... then CUT!!!:) I took a look at the scale, and its up. From when I began eating at TDEE, its up only 2ish pounds.. but from my lowest point eating EMTLW, Im up about 6 pounds. Id like to say I was happy about it, but of course Im not. However its not the end all, be all for me at this point, which is nice. I am definitely ready for cut, definitely ready to start seeing the muscle that I have been building the last 10 weeks and definitely ready to lose the weight. Still trying to figure out how to do it without 400 extra cals though:)

I got a nice compliment via email last night from an aquaintance. We see each other very rarely, kids birthday parties and such, but she wrote this to me:

"I know you said you were down about health and weight etc a
    week ago, I think when your in it and living it its hard to see
    change, just like a person growing taller doesn't really see the
    change. I don't get to see you often (which is too bad for me :() but
    you look fantastic. Seriously, I see big changes."

I have no reason to believe she would lie about it, even though that was my first reaction. I have never been good at compliments of any kind, so it took me a bit to accept what she said to me. Then I cried:)
    It made me realize that even though the scale is up, inches are up, something else is happening which is showing. Maybe its confidence, maybe its how I hold myself, I dont know, but someone notices out there:)
  • AngelDog1
    AngelDog1 Posts: 89
    Options
    Hi all! I just wanted to let you all know that you are so wonderful! I'm glad to be a part of this group. I also wanted to share with you my weekend NSV. Just a quick update: I have been having trouble eating at my cut and decided to just go back to my TDEE since I only have a week until vacation. Then when I get back, I'll refocus on the cut again-there were great tips given about making sure I eat protein so I will definitely focus on that too. I had gained weight on the reset and I haven't lost any inches in months. So, anyways, since it was blazing hot this weekend, I decided no matter how gross and "fluffy" I felt from the weight gain I had from my reset, I was going to go in the pool--it was just too hot that I decided it didn't matter if I looked and felt like a water balloon. But while I was there, one of my friends pulled me aside and commented that it seemed like I had lost weight and asked how I was doing it!!!! I was jumping for joy!!! It really made my day. So I really believe all this hard work that we have dedicated ourselves to EMTWL will pay off in the end! Hang in there everyone! We can do it!!! :)
  • Carani
    Carani Posts: 24
    Options
    Those compliments are the best, right?
    I was at my mom's birthday saturday and so many people commented on my looks, it was almost emarrasing.
    Since my dad's birthday in April I have not lost a significant amount of weight, so that shouldn't be it. It can't be the weight workouts as I've only done 4 of them. It's probably (in my case) just the fact that I'm discovering how to take care of myself, the fact that I'm proud at my body that it was able to complete those aforementioned workouts and a general feeling of wellbeing that radiates out.

Anyways, back OT.
    I'm feeling a need to un-friend some people on my list as they are down the path of 1200 calories and we just not compatible anymore. It’s nice to have some new EMTWL friends to get me up to speed and help me 'reset' my thinking. Thanks for taking the effort to get us newbies up and going! I plan to pay it forward later on.
    Also the comments of my fellow newbies help me to realise I'm not alone in this journey and everybody feels insecure at first.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Just a quick check-in today...
    On Saturday morning I did a weigh-in, expecting to see the scale to have finally edged over the dreaded 170 (I've been hovering really close to it lately and TOM is due any day now). I closed my eyes, said a little prayer, and stared in shock at the number presented...I had LOST 2.4 lbs. :noway: So I hopped off, reset and weighed again...yup...2.4 lbs down. Well, let's just say my day started off SWEET! However, I figured, I would likely gain it all back with Sunday's weigh in. It was a rest day after all, so full TDEE, no workout...just floating in the pool and no housework or anything to speak of. So I decided to enjoy the good feeling for the day, with no expectations.

I jumped on the scale on Sunday morning...resolved to see the weight back up again, but nope...still down...I'd only gone up 0.4lbs. So still 2lbs down...go figure! This morning I jumped on the scale again, and most of the weight has now come back but I'm still 0.8lbs down from where I was (and if you recall, TOM is due any day now so weight increase is expected).

This is the first loss I've had that has firstly, been that large since I started TDEE (usually it's not much more than a pound) and secondly that has remained off for more than a day. So, I'm feeling pretty confident my body has turned a corner. I have felt/seen so many signs of being ready to cut in the last week, that I'm more and more confident that I'm going to be more than ready by the time I'm done my 8 weeks! Very exciting to feel the health of mind and body being rejuvenated. I cannot express how sweet that feeling is. Even knowing I'm sitting 8 pounds up from when I started EM2WL, I feel good! (well, except for the bloated, crampy feeling TOM is bringing today...ugh). I even felt reasonably confident in my bathing suit and I am about 35lbs heavier than when I bought it!!! :noway: A friend who has not seen me in several months said I was looking good, and wondered if I'd lost weight. She said I looked more toned. When I told her I had not lost she just shook her head and said, well, you look better so something has changed.

So, it's been a good weekend. I just started week 7 of my reset this morning so 2 more weeks to go. (and I have to get through TOM..yuck...last one was NASTY so hopefully this one doesn't mess with me too much).

Have a good one guys! :flowerforyou:
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

The mental games are the hardest. But once you get past the first few weeks, it stops being so loud and controlling over you. Honestly, I would just jump right up to TDEE rather than slowly build up. Had I known that back then, I would have done TDEE right away rather than 6 weeks at cut with no change... Id be a good 5 weeks into cut now had I:)

As for protein, I have to get in 210 or more grams a day and I have hardly ever gotten there:) But I do get well over 160 most days. I do have a protein shake daily, and I likely have a protein bar as well.. Id like to eventually stop relying on those so much, but being as heavy as I am, I need to get the protein in and its incredibly hard without them. outside of those, I eat a lot of greek yogurt, milk, cheese, nuts, edamame beans and lean meats.. its a work in progress, but way better than I ever was.

Eat at TDEE does mean more cals, but you can still incorporate your treats into it. Actually its way better this way, because you dont feel so guilty about having something now.

two weeks left for me... then CUT!!!:) I took a look at the scale, and its up. From when I began eating at TDEE, its up only 2ish pounds.. but from my lowest point eating EMTLW, Im up about 6 pounds. Id like to say I was happy about it, but of course Im not. However its not the end all, be all for me at this point, which is nice. I am definitely ready for cut, definitely ready to start seeing the muscle that I have been building the last 10 weeks and definitely ready to lose the weight. Still trying to figure out how to do it without 400 extra cals though:)

I got a nice compliment via email last night from an aquaintance. We see each other very rarely, kids birthday parties and such, but she wrote this to me:

"I know you said you were down about health and weight etc a
    week ago, I think when your in it and living it its hard to see
    change, just like a person growing taller doesn't really see the
    change. I don't get to see you often (which is too bad for me :() but
    you look fantastic. Seriously, I see big changes."

I have no reason to believe she would lie about it, even though that was my first reaction. I have never been good at compliments of any kind, so it took me a bit to accept what she said to me. Then I cried:)
    It made me realize that even though the scale is up, inches are up, something else is happening which is showing. Maybe its confidence, maybe its how I hold myself, I dont know, but someone notices out there:)

For Raynn:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I was hoping and praying for a miracle for you and there it is!! What a lovely, lovely friend.
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Anyways, back OT.
    I'm feeling a need to un-friend some people on my list as they are down the path of 1200 calories and we just not compatible anymore.

^This! I have friend saying i tried EM2WL and it didnt work for me.... and most of my other friends are on 1200 cals a day. Having done all the research last weekend, i just dont understand how i could ever have lived like that for a year and im really happy im fixing what i did wrong. Im not ready to unfriend them yet, maybe in the future...

As for my EM2WL, im on day 3. Ive was hungry yesterday just before i went to bed, and im hungry this evening too. I feel some of the bloat is gone, which is weird cause TOM just started. Maybe the bloat is still there and im seeing / feeling things that are not there and its just my mind wanting to see it gone ;)
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 7 I think. However last week I went on vacation and now I'm back. I ate over my 1700 calories during vacation. Hard to tell since I couldn't log the food, could only estimate. I got to walk and keep active but only made it to the gym once. I had pain on my right calf and ankle which limit my activity the last 2-3 days.

I weighed myself this morning, as usual and found I'm 4 lbs heavier! I have been stuck at the same weight for months and in 1 week I destroyed months of work, back to what I was weighing about 4 months ago or so. I am pretty upset.

I am very meticulous when I'm logging, preplanning my days, making sure I meet my macros and calories but 1 week of not doing this completely destroyed me.

I was hoping I was on the right mindset and this was a lifestyle for me and I could stop being a slave to measuring and logging my food but the cruel reality is I'm slaved to it if I want to at least maintain my weight. Apparently I can't do it any other way. This is NOT what I want to do for the rest of my life. I don't want to have to measure every piece of food I consume and have to stress out about meeting my macros and calories every day. But is that or gaining weight again it seems.

I wanted to actually up my intake to 1800 since I have been maintaining during this reset but now I can't do that with the extra weight. I'll go on at 1700 and hope that's good enough to lose these 4 lbs, otherwise I will have to go into cut already, which I actually didn't want to do. My goal was to be able to find how many calories I could eat and keep maintaining my 119-120 lbs fluctuation. And these stupid injuries I keep getting are making things even harder, been suffering back pain for weeks now which won't go away, neck pains, especially if I stress out, joint pains, ankle, calf etc. Wth!!

I feel very sad and angry right now, sorry for the rambling.
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm diving into the reset. I read the entire first thread and this one. It makes sense to do it.

I've been on VLCD on and off for couple years (mostly Weight Watchers) without a whole lot of success in the last 3 years. I lost about 60 lbs before getting pregnant with my daughter in 2008 but gained all 60 lbs back during the pregnancy. I've been struggling to lose the weight since I gave birth.

I upped my calories couple weeks ago with a couple lb increase on the scale (maybe because I wasn't 100% consistent or maybe because of all the damage I've done or maybe because of both.) At this time I feel that I have nothing to lose by eating my TDEE. My hope is that my body will trust again and let go of the fat. I will be tossing the scale and will only measure. I will try to keep in mind that it takes additional 3500 cal to gain a pound of fat. As long as this doesn't happen, it will be my body taking back what it lost and the muscle I build through weight lifting :laugh:

I'm about to workout and when I'm done, I will calculate my new daily goal with the numbers my Bodybugg is giving me.

I'm pretty motivated right now but I'm sure I will come back crying :laugh: Deja vu right here :laugh: I said the same thing when I first upped my calories.

I would love to have a close "reset buddy". Someone who just started and would like to keep in closer contact (messaging) during the reset. Of course I plan on checking in here too and cry :laugh:

You are an awesome bunch!
  • rr85114
    rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

YOU GOT THIS GIRL!!! Your fresh attitude and positive frame of mind is so inspiring!!!

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

YES! That's an awesome update! It sounds like you're really seeing the benefits of EM2WL! Woot!

Honestly - you are all *such* wonderful, encouraging, inspiring people and I could NOT do this without the invaluable support you constantly provide.

Thank you xx
  • rr85114
    Options
    I'm diving into the reset. I read the entire first thread and this one. It makes sense to do it.

I've been on VLCD on and off for couple years (mostly Weight Watchers) without a whole lot of success in the last 3 years. I lost about 60 lbs before getting pregnant with my daughter in 2008 but gained all 60 lbs back during the pregnancy. I've been struggling to lose the weight since I gave birth.

I upped my calories couple weeks ago with a couple lb increase on the scale (maybe because I wasn't 100% consistent or maybe because of all the damage I've done or maybe because of both.) At this time I feel that I have nothing to lose by eating my TDEE. My hope is that my body will trust again and let go of the fat. I will be tossing the scale and will only measure. I will try to keep in mind that it takes additional 3500 cal to gain a pound of fat. As long as this doesn't happen, it will be my body taking back what it lost and the muscle I build through weight lifting :laugh:

I'm about to workout and when I'm done, I will calculate my new daily goal with the numbers my Bodybugg is giving me.

I'm pretty motivated right now but I'm sure I will come back crying :laugh: Deja vu right here :laugh: I said the same thing when I first upped my calories.

I would love to have a close "reset buddy". Someone who just started and would like to keep in closer contact (messaging) during the reset. Of course I plan on checking in here too and cry :laugh:

Believe me - you will find a RIDICULOUS number of 'reset buddies'. I've been absolutely overwhelmed. I am an ex-WWer too, and totally get what you mean by the fact that this all just makes sense! Friend request on its way :)
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

Welcome to the International Union of Whiners!!!:laugh: All manner of venting, crying, whining, rambling and even the occasional WTF is allowed here.

All kidding aside, the Reset is difficult emotionally and physically and goes against ALL of our ingrained Diet Thinking.

But I, for one, believe in the science of it and am hoping to come out on the other side with a healthy, working metabolism, a stronger, fitter body and a well adjusted attitude!!:flowerforyou:

Stop by often and tell us all about it, OK?:wink:
  • MeDoula
    Options
    Ha...You bet you'll see my face here more often :laugh: I'm an emotional person as is and can see myself getting pretty damatic in the next couple weeks :tongue:

I got my average calorie burn from the last 19 days (Bodybugg). It included couple unusually active days but I'll stick with it until I have more data and then recheck. My average burn is 2136 cal but because couple days were unusually active, I will rounded it down to 2100....It should be ok right? Let the journey begin. :drinker:
  • MeDoula
    Options
    I'm reading that people are doing the reset for anywhere between 4-8 weeks. How will I know that my body is ready for the cut?
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I'm reading that people are doing the reset for anywhere between 4-8 weeks. How will I know that my body is ready for the cut?

From Kiki
    Note: From Kiki: "4-6 weeks is minimum, 8-12 is even better. I did take 3+ months, because most research that I'd done showed that it could take up 6 months, and I didn't wanna chance it, & quit early. It's personal, which is why there is no definite time given. The whole point of the reset is for the individual to get in touch with their own body and understand it better. Most people will rush the process, which is fine, because, they feel overly bloated and full (& again, it's personal) The only thing to consider with that is that there is a high probability that if you're still feeling stuffed, you haven't fully reset. So as far as signs to look for, that was mine. When I went to cut, I had completely "plateaued." Meaning, I was no longer gaining and did not feel overly stuffed. I didn't have any more bloating, & was completely comfortable eating that amount of food. When people are feeling "relieved" at the thought of cutting, because they are looking forward to less food, it's kind of a red flag for me, that things aren't *completely* fixed. But, at the very least, they've eaten at higher cals long enough to give the metabolism a little boost, & if they take diet breaks every 6-10 wks, it can typically still work out fine."

For most of us who came from VLC diets previous, we decided to stick it out for the 8 weeks to give our bodies a chance to really trust us again. We dont want to second guess ourselves down the line if things stall out or the weight doesnt move. As much as I am sure I was "ready" for my Cut a few weeks ago, I knew I would hate myself down the line if I did not give it the full 8 weeks.

For others, especially those who did not come from VLD diets, they had found sucess going to cut after 4 weeks.

I guess the thing to ask yourself is, do you want to "give up" that time now to reset for a good 8 weeks or so, or do you want to take the chance and hope you might not have to do that full reset down the line again..

I hope this helps.. I guess there is no right or wrong time to cut. It comes down to what you know of yourself and what you want out of the reset. Most of us will recommend doing a full 8 weeks regardless..
  • rr85114
    Options
    Okay. Deep breaths. My weigh-in today (after not weighing for a whole week!) saw another 1kg up. So total gain over the past 4 weeks, 1 week of which was on the reset (the rest were at cut), is 1.9kg (about 4 lbs). Deeeeeep breaths.

What I don't understand is that while some measurements are down (waist, belly), others are RANDOMLY up! Like my thighs which went up by 1cm. Go figure.

I've started tracking my body fat on a body fat scale -- 30.5% today. What confuses me is that when I plugged my numbers into the fat2fit BF calculator, I got a much nicer number - 27.6. Which one is more accurate?

I'm trying VERY HARD to ignore the total 1.9kg gain. I think I'll be okay. Just have to keep reminding myself - this would've happened in any event, and how much more upset would I be if it happened after I thought I was done and had reached my goal weight? Much rather have it happen now.

Oh look at the time - must be time for breakfast! ;)
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I just wanted to let you all know that you are so wonderful! I'm glad to be a part of this group. I also wanted to share with you my weekend NSV. Just a quick update: I have been having trouble eating at my cut and decided to just go back to my TDEE since I only have a week until vacation. Then when I get back, I'll refocus on the cut again-there were great tips given about making sure I eat protein so I will definitely focus on that too. I had gained weight on the reset and I haven't lost any inches in months. So, anyways, since it was blazing hot this weekend, I decided no matter how gross and "fluffy" I felt from the weight gain I had from my reset, I was going to go in the pool--it was just too hot that I decided it didn't matter if I looked and felt like a water balloon. But while I was there, one of my friends pulled me aside and commented that it seemed like I had lost weight and asked how I was doing it!!!! I was jumping for joy!!! It really made my day. So I really believe all this hard work that we have dedicated ourselves to EMTWL will pay off in the end! Hang in there everyone! We can do it!!! :)
    Yay that's awesome :)
    Keep up the great work and the compliments will just keep coming
  • Noor13
    Options

Your body will thank you for doing the reset, even if you will feel challenged along the way.
    But we are here to help you out.
    There are a few people on here who just started doing the reset-I am sure you can find a buddy
  • Noor13
    Options
    Okay. Deep breaths. My weigh-in today (after not weighing for a whole week!) saw another 1kg up. So total gain over the past 4 weeks, 1 week of which was on the reset (the rest were at cut), is 1.9kg (about 4 lbs). Deeeeeep breaths.

What I don't understand is that while some measurements are down (waist, belly), others are RANDOMLY up! Like my thighs which went up by 1cm. Go figure.

I've started tracking my body fat on a body fat scale -- 30.5% today. What confuses me is that when I plugged my numbers into the fat2fit BF calculator, I got a much nicer number - 27.6. Which one is more accurate?

I'm trying VERY HARD to ignore the total 1.9kg gain. I think I'll be okay. Just have to keep reminding myself - this would've happened in any event, and how much more upset would I be if it happened after I thought I was done and had reached my goal weight? Much rather have it happen now.

Oh look at the time - must be time for breakfast! ;)
    Ohhhh the scale.....just ignore it. It will be your friend again, after we are done here :)
    As for the measurements-great NSV :) Why they are down or up-no idea. Mine all went up while doing the reset.

Just stay strong.

And you are right-good it happens at the beginning of the journey to gain the weight. Much more upsetting if you would have lost it all on 1200 kcal and gain it all back and probably even more.....
  • findingmyhappyplace
    findingmyhappyplace Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Apparently my TDEE is even higher than I thought. My body very cleverly had maintained its weight at 1800 cals so I bumped to 2000. Still maintained. Bumped to 2200. LOST WEIGHT, despite cutting out exercise during that time. So bumping again to 2400. I can't see how I need that much food, I'm only 5'1 and trying to maintain a weight of 107 (I'm down at 105 now). I will allow myself one day per week where I don't feel obliged to eat that much, because it's very tiring trying to remember to take enough food with me since I'm celiac. I also am finding it a financial pain in the *kitten* to eat 2400 healthy calories per day.