Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Okay. Deep breaths. My weigh-in today (after not weighing for a whole week!) saw another 1kg up. So total gain over the past 4 weeks, 1 week of which was on the reset (the rest were at cut), is 1.9kg (about 4 lbs). Deeeeeep breaths.

What I don't understand is that while some measurements are down (waist, belly), others are RANDOMLY up! Like my thighs which went up by 1cm. Go figure.

I've started tracking my body fat on a body fat scale -- 30.5% today. What confuses me is that when I plugged my numbers into the fat2fit BF calculator, I got a much nicer number - 27.6. Which one is more accurate?

I'm trying VERY HARD to ignore the total 1.9kg gain. I think I'll be okay. Just have to keep reminding myself - this would've happened in any event, and how much more upset would I be if it happened after I thought I was done and had reached my goal weight? Much rather have it happen now.

Oh look at the time - must be time for breakfast! ;)

OK, little you, listen up~ STAY OFF THE SCALE!!! :explode:

What you are describing is absolutely perfect! For the moment, you are having a "textbook" Reset experience: you are gaining weight but losing inches.

In EM2WL the scale is only one tiny part of the BIG picture~ the tape measure is the main tool to use.

REMEMBER THIS: during Reset, we are HEALING our bodies and "Resetting" our metabolism meaning we are bringing our bodies back UP to a certain point where we stabilize, THEN we CUT slowly and gradually.

You haven't even begun to get to the top of the hill and getting on the scale is going to throw you off the track.

So, take those deep breaths, chin up, shoulders back and go EAT!!!:wink:

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: (you soooo got this!!)
  • Carani
    Carani Posts: 24
    Options
    I made myself a nice display of snacks to bring along to work, which combined with my after-exercise protein shake will leave me with 500-550 cals for dinner (or 600-650 and have the protein shake with water instead of milk). That should do the trick of getting me up to 2400 today.
    I'm already over my fat limit, probably due to the nuts and cheese but I don't know how else to get both protein and calories.

Brekkie: Wholegrain sandwich with 'appelstroop' (a dutch thing) and cheese, tall glass of milk (had it, was gooood)
    Snack: apple with PB/chillisauce dip (had it, was goooood as well)
    Lunch: 2 slices of wholegrain with turkey/mozzarella omelette, 2 small tomatoes, bit of cucumber (just ate it, feeling quite stuffed right now)
    Snack: 50 gr walnuts, tall glass of milk
    Dinner: tbd... either Texan Bean soup (always wondering how 'Texan' the stuff really is, lol) or a salad but my mind is kind of blank now.
    After training: protein shake.

If I go ahead with the soup I'll end up with 150 out of my 180 gr protein, which for me is quite an achievement!

So how's about that for a plan? Do you see room for improvement?
  • rosied915
    Options
    Looks great Carani but how about the Texas Bean Soup AND the salad to get more veggies in?
  • Carani
    Options
    Tuesdays and Thursdays are days I try to get some 'easy' food for dinner. Dinnertime in our house is about 7:15 (my husband works a long drive away) and an hour later I'm leaving for the gym. A big bowl of soup AND a salad are going to make me too stuffed to do a decent workout I fear.
    I used to eat a salad for lunch to up my daily veggie intake but have foregone that today to get the extra calories in from the bread.

I see your point though, I'll try to work in some more veggies for tomorrow. Tomorrow is my day off so I can go shopping and load up on some more calorie/protein dense foods than I currently have around the house.
    Maybe once I adjusted to the higher food intake I can work on having them both :)

Now it's almost time for my afternoon snack and I'm still rather stuffed from lunch. I'll take that as a sign that my body does need to get acustomed to the up in calories.
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Ive started to notice that i need to eat most of my calories in the morning or early afternoon, if i leave it till later i stuggle finishing eating everything i had planned. I love eating anything with protein cause it will keep me full for longer, however at the moment it isnt my best friend as i struggle eating all my calories.

Another thing that isnt my friend at the moment is my big toe, for a few months the joint has been sore when walking a lot. I took some time ( week / 2 weeks) of running and doing anything strenguous (sp?) it went away. Now for the last month it has been getting more painfull again. My guess is that it is a stress fracture... I made a doctors appointment for tomorrow and im super nervous about it! What if he says i cant do any exercise anymore :(
    I know its for the best, and it needs to heal.... but i just started my reset, and really like exercising....
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Anyways, back OT.
    I'm feeling a need to un-friend some people on my list as they are down the path of 1200 calories and we just not compatible anymore.

^This! I have friend saying i tried EM2WL and it didnt work for me.... and most of my other friends are on 1200 cals a day. Having done all the research last weekend, i just dont understand how i could ever have lived like that for a year and im really happy im fixing what i did wrong. Im not ready to unfriend them yet, maybe in the future...

As for my EM2WL, im on day 3. Ive was hungry yesterday just before i went to bed, and im hungry this evening too. I feel some of the bloat is gone, which is weird cause TOM just started. Maybe the bloat is still there and im seeing / feeling things that are not there and its just my mind wanting to see it gone ;)

Whenever I hear someone say EM2WL didn't work for them, I always wonder if they actually followed the guidelines. It seems to me those people jump into the 15% cut then gain, then give up after a few weeks saying "it didn't work for them". I think most people need the reset not just for the metabolism repair but for the mind repair also. I am in week 7 and its been a long roller coaster ride. A week ago I could cry I wanted it to be over so badly. Ask me now and I almost want to stay right here. Not just because of the calorie intake but because I love not being a slave to the scale or even worrying about trying to lose then being disappointed with little or no loss. I don't want to gain of course, but I knew going into this there will be a gain and I feel worse than I probably look. But I am really liking where I am. I relax more, I workout less. I eat more than just veggies and eat real food. I eat out with my family and friends and don't beat myself up anymore. Even when I go over by more than 100 calories.

So many positive changes that have nothing to do with weight loss that I can't even list them all. All things I wouldn't have had I not stuck it out at full TDEE for at least 8 weeks. I am pretty sure I will still cut after week 8 to 10% but then after 4, maybe 6 weeks I will go back to TDEE for a week. I will take a whole week off from my lifting during those times also. It's all given me an outlook of taking care of my body verses punishing it and only focusing on weight loss.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 7 I think. However last week I went on vacation and now I'm back. I ate over my 1700 calories during vacation. Hard to tell since I couldn't log the food, could only estimate. I got to walk and keep active but only made it to the gym once. I had pain on my right calf and ankle which limit my activity the last 2-3 days.

I weighed myself this morning, as usual and found I'm 4 lbs heavier! I have been stuck at the same weight for months and in 1 week I destroyed months of work, back to what I was weighing about 4 months ago or so. I am pretty upset.

I am very meticulous when I'm logging, preplanning my days, making sure I meet my macros and calories but 1 week of not doing this completely destroyed me.

I was hoping I was on the right mindset and this was a lifestyle for me and I could stop being a slave to measuring and logging my food but the cruel reality is I'm slaved to it if I want to at least maintain my weight. Apparently I can't do it any other way. This is NOT what I want to do for the rest of my life. I don't want to have to measure every piece of food I consume and have to stress out about meeting my macros and calories every day. But is that or gaining weight again it seems.

I wanted to actually up my intake to 1800 since I have been maintaining during this reset but now I can't do that with the extra weight. I'll go on at 1700 and hope that's good enough to lose these 4 lbs, otherwise I will have to go into cut already, which I actually didn't want to do. My goal was to be able to find how many calories I could eat and keep maintaining my 119-120 lbs fluctuation. And these stupid injuries I keep getting are making things even harder, been suffering back pain for weeks now which won't go away, neck pains, especially if I stress out, joint pains, ankle, calf etc. Wth!!

I feel very sad and angry right now, sorry for the rambling.

I don't see where you have destroyed all your work. I doubt those four pounds are actual fat and if it is? So what? Its four pounds. I would just stay off the scale. No one but you sees that 4 pounds. If you cut too early, you might really pay for it. Four pounds is nothing and if you are in a reset it is expected. I highly suggest finishing out the full 8 week reset and pick one calorie intake and stay there.

At the beginning of week 6 I cut out my running so I did lower my TDEE to accommodate that. Maybe you should rest more if you are experiencing all those injuries. I had to just take 3 days off for some terrible pain where I could barely walk. Last time this happened I didn't listen and was laid out for almost 6 months! Its so frustrating to not be able to work out at all when you want to. I did start up my routine yesterday but didn't push myself and really listened to my body since the pain is still nagging me if I move a certain way.

Also, you were on vacation. I would just accept the fact that when I am on vacation, there just might be a gain. I'd rather go on vacation and have a great time verses staying home measuring all my food just so I won't have any gain. And yes, that was the old me. I turned down tons of invites to lots of fun nights out or weekends away just because I was afraid. Sounds like a fun person to be around, huh? I am not saying you are like that, but I just now can see how stupidly ridiculous I was.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else struggle with horrible nausea when eating at TDEE and macros of 40/30/30? I have been eating at TDEE for a week and a half and had horrible nausea on all days when I made my macros. :sick: I just switched to 45/25/30 to see if that will help, but I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem?
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Raynn1: Thanks, it does make sense.

rr85114: Gain stinks so bad. Throw your scale out the window :wink:
    I refuse to check my weight now. 1. I just started Insanity/P90X Hybird and my muscles are on fire. 2. I started eating more. It's not a good combination for checking the scale. I remember reading somewhere that bloat in the legs comes from increased sodium consumption. Could it be true in your case?

Carani: "Brekki"…love it :bigsmile: Good job on the protein.

I've been eating more for 3 days now (day 4 today). It's 3 days because I had some beer over the weekend which added up to the calories…:blushing: Actually I went over my TDEE on all three days :blushing: It's not that hard to reach it especially since it's TOM (which lasts for two weeks for me lol). I'm a very hungry girl.

This morning I'm bloated to no end and plan on getting some lemons to help get rid of it. I feel like I already BTDT when I first increased my cal to 1800 so it's not a surprise. Plus, I read all three "Reset" threads so I know what to expect.

When I calculated my TDEE yesterday, I went over my diary and realized that when I first came here, I was pretty close to my TDEE for the first week or so. I'm kicking myself for dropping down but who knew how the future would look like.

Has anyone read "Burn the fat, feed the muscle"? I started reading it last night and thought to myself "where was this information when I started starving my body?" I'm experiencing many "DUH" moments these days.
  • newve
    newve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    What is a Metabolism Reset?
  • MeDoula
    Options
    I was curious and typed in my numbers into the Scooby calculator. It tells me I should be eating 2634 cal at TDEE with 5 hours of workout. That's a whooping 500 cal more compared to my current Bodybugg TDEE! At 3-5 hours more, it gives me 2367. That's still little over 200 cal more. Scooby number meets my Bodybugg my TDEE number at 1-3 hours of exercise (with actual 5.2 hours). The difference is minimal at desk job level.

It's so interesting to see the difference. I'm now curious to see what my gain will be during reset vs what it would have been with Scooby. Not that I want to try it.
  • gordonx4
    gordonx4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!! I am only on the first week of this resent! My TDEE is 2308 calories. I've had a little trouble eating that many calories some days though. Is that normal for the first couple of weeks?? I think I need help figuring out foods to fulfill this......??

I've also gained weight this week already......which scared me but I don't wan to give up so I will just keep plugging along. I've been working out w/ Jillian Michaels DVDs, I mix them up between 6week six pack, metabolism boost, no more trouble zones, and also use the Biggest Loser DVDs as well (power sculpt and power walk) then most days I go to the gym during my lunch hour for 30 minutes and some days I walk/jog as well. So I do a mixture of things.

IS there anyone else here just starting out??? I'd really like support from newbies, even from those of you who have been doing it for a while, I would love to have some extra friends! :-)

Nicole

I am just starting out and I'm totally confused. I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I need to reset my metabolism.

Here is a bit about my self. I was very active when my girls were young; I work out 4 times a week and riding my horses 3 to 4 hours, 3 to 4 times a week. As time went by I started not feel well. Doing any kind of exercise would leave me in pain for days. As a result I haven’t been moving around much. After 15 years I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia. So now I’m on Lyrica and I’m learning how to manage the Fibro. I have gained 60 lbs over the last 10 years and 20 of that just since I started the Lyrica 6 months ago. I have to be careful not to overdo it which is difficult for me because I love to push myself. I tried dieting and never could lose weight. After being on starvation diets for years ( 700 to 900 calories a day), I found MFP and didn't realize how bad I was treating my body. So now I need to be educated and there is so much conflicting information out there that I'm just so over whelmed. Even here on MFP,

I'm 5'5" and 206. My goal is 140 by February. Fat2Fit.com says my BMR is 1662 and my TDEE is 2134.

So now here is my questions. How do I reset metabolism? Do I eat my BMR or TDEE calories everyday? How long do I stay on the reset?

Any advice would be great. I haven't logged anything in for days because I'm just so discouraged. My diary is open for anyone to see.
  • Carani
    Options
    Omg omg omg, if I have my after-workout drink I'll be OVER my 2400 target.
    My hubby asked for peanut soup tonight, which wrecked my already bad fat count. But I'm working on getting in the calories first, and upping the quality and macro balance later.
    Now I gotta run and get ready for my workout. See you later!
  • MeDoula
    Options
    What is a Metabolism Reset?

It's repairing your metabolism and allowing it to function as it was meant to function. It's healing from what low calorie diets destroyed. It means eating at maintenance (TDEE) for 6-8 weeks before trying to lose weight/fat again by introducing a small cut (10%-20% max). At least that's my explanation.

Is that right ladies? :bigsmile:
  • MeDoula
    Options
    gordonx4: With the reset, you eat at TDEE (2134 cal in your case) for 6-8 weeks. There IS a lot of conflicting information out here. That's one of the reasons why I don't frequent the "regular" forums much. Stick around. We will be here to catch you. :flowerforyou:

Carani: Hmm...what's peanut soup? Sounds interesting. What do you mean by "bad fat"? I'm working on cal first too. Later on getting the micros right.

Ok...I'm done "foruming" for today. I can't have this become the second Facebook...
  • gordonx4
    gordonx4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thank you for getting back so fast. This is going to be tough eating that much, but by reading through the post I can see that I'm not the only one with this problem. I will diffidently be come a regular here so I can learn as much as I can ( and I think I have a long way to go).
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Quote from Gordonx4:
    "I am just starting out and I'm totally confused. I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I need to reset my metabolism.
    Here is a bit about my self. I was very active when my girls were young; I work out 4 times a week and riding my horses 3 to 4 hours, 3 to 4 times a week. As time went by I started not feel well. Doing any kind of exercise would leave me in pain for days. As a result I haven’t been moving around much. After 15 years I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia. So now I’m on Lyrica and I’m learning how to manage the Fibro. I have gained 60 lbs over the last 10 years and 20 of that just since I started the Lyrica 6 months ago. I have to be careful not to overdo it which is difficult for me because I love to push myself. I tried dieting and never could lose weight. After being on starvation diets for years ( 700 to 900 calories a day), I found MFP and didn't realize how bad I was treating my body. So now I need to be educated and there is so much conflicting information out there that I'm just so over whelmed. Even here on MFP,
    I'm 5'5" and 206. My goal is 140 by February. Fat2Fit.com says my BMR is 1662 and my TDEE is 2134.
    So now here is my questions. How do I reset metabolism? Do I eat my BMR or TDEE calories everyday? How long do I stay on the reset?
    Any advice would be great. I haven't logged anything in for days because I'm just so discouraged. My diary is open for anyone to see."
    [/quote]

Gordonx4,

Welcome to the reset group and eating more!! I just finished my reset July 5 and am now in the cut group. I still check back here frequently. One thing that stood out in your post above is that you have a goal of 66 lb lost in 6.5 months. That's way too soon to try and lose that weight safely. Especially if you'll be doing an 8 week reset first. That would leave you just 4.5 months to lose it all. You definitely don't want to set yourself up for a dissapointment like that!

Instead of focusing on a weight amount and a set date, do what many of us have done instead. Focus on resetting your metabolism for anywhere from 6 to 8 to 12 weeks or maybe longer. Learning to refeed your body the fuel it needs to exercise and do all we require of it takes time. It will also take time for your body to trust you again. Let that be your focus for now, getting healthier and learning to enjoy eating again!

Once reset is done, you can start a 10 to 15% cut from TDEE, continue with exercising, and watch the weight slowly go down.
    This is NOT a quick fix. Enjoy learning about your body and yourself through this process. It's really amazing! I wish you the best in your journey!! EM2WL is THE best!:flowerforyou:
  • rosied915
    Options
    Quote from Gordonx4:
    "I am just starting out and I'm totally confused. I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I need to reset my metabolism.
    Any advice would be great. I haven't logged anything in for days because I'm just so discouraged. My diary is open for anyone to see."
    [/quote]

Gordonx4,

Welcome to the reset group and eating more!! I just finished my reset July 5 and am now in the cut group. I still check back here frequently. One thing that stood out in your post above is that you have a goal of 66 lb lost in 6.5 months. That's way too soon to try and lose that weight safely. Especially if you'll be doing an 8 week reset first. That would leave you just 4.5 months to lose it all. You definitely don't want to set yourself up for a dissapointment like that!

Instead of focusing on a weight amount and a set date, do what many of us have done instead. Focus on resetting your metabolism for anywhere from 6 to 8 to 12 weeks or maybe longer. Learning to refeed your body the fuel it needs to exercise and do all we require of it takes time. It will also take time for your body to trust you again. Let that be your focus for now, getting healthier and learning to enjoy eating again!

Once reset is done, you can start a 10 to 15% cut from TDEE, continue with exercising, and watch the weight slowly go down.
    This is NOT a quick fix. Enjoy learning about your body and yourself through this process. It's really amazing! I wish you the best in your journey!! EM2WL is THE best!:flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

^^^^^Listen to this amazing lady!!^^^^ (Hi Sweetie, nice to see you)

The same exact thing stuck out for me~ get rid of that "goal" and set a new one~ to HEAL your metabolism so that EVENTUALLY you will lose weight.

There is NO time limit on the process~ it is individual and up to your body and how it responds.

One thing I will 100% guarantee you: you will have a MUCH better Fibromyalgia experience if you feed your body properly.
    I have MS (dx in 2003) and this is the strongest I've felt in a LONG time!!

Yes, I have gained weight but I'm trying to fix something that's been broken for my entire adult life (I'm 51) so I'll do what I have to do. Who knows, you may even get to the point that you can cut back on the Lyrica~ you never know!!

Best of Luck in your decision Ms Gordon~ I hope you choose to stay here with us.
  • Carani
    Options
    Gordonx4, I personally think your goal of losing 66 lbs by February is a bit steep. I'd say February 2014 would be more realistic if you count on 1 lb a week and a few weeks off diet in between.

Doula, I meant my fat count already being throug the roof (= bad), eating peanut soup did not make it any better. Was darn tasty though!!
    Peanut soup is a Surinam dish, Suriname used to be a colony of the Netherlands and my babysitter was a Surinam lady so it brings back childhood memories for me. I admit to buying it readymade as it takes quite some time to make from scratch. But imagine a thin peanut sauce with bits of chicken and you're close ;)

*edit: started writing this before the two comments above but I got disturbed by a phone call. Basically, I'm with the girls above!
  • rosied915
    Options
    gordonx4: With the reset, you eat at TDEE (2134 cal in your case) for 6-8 weeks. There IS a lot of conflicting information out here. That's one of the reasons why I don't frequent the "regular" forums much. Stick around. We will be here to catch you. :flowerforyou:

Carani: Hmm...what's peanut soup? Sounds interesting. What do you mean by "bad fat"? I'm working on cal first too. Later on getting the micros right.

Ok...I'm done "foruming" for today. I can't have this become the second Facebook...

Hi Cutie Patootie~ :flowerforyou:

Are you saying you're sick of us already?????:sad: :sad: