Woman Claims to be a 'Former Lesbian'

Options
UponThisRock
UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/06/04/former-lesbian-says-change-possible

There isn't much to this video, basically the woman claims to be a born-again Christian and was "healed" from being a lesbian.

As a heterosexual, I can't "get inside the heads" of homosexuals. 99% of the time, homosexuals will say that they were "born this way," and "can't change." I accept that.

Here's my question: If someone says they have changed, how can I not also accept that? I can't really know how people feel in the hearts either way.

Replies

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    the woman claims to be a born-again Christian

That makes me skeptical right off the bat.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    the woman claims to be a born-again Christian

That makes me skeptical right off the bat.

^^Agreed
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Not sure how making jabs at Christianity will address the issues here, but anyway.....

Looks to me like she was living a homosexual lifestyle and now has chosen not to. Some may argue that she wasn't really a lesbian, but was living the lifestyle. People who are born homosexual cannot "change" that, but they can make choices on what lifestyle to live.

I don't think she's doing the LGBT community any good by saying God helped her change from homosexual to heterosexual, but I'm not sure that's what I heard her saying.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    People who are born homosexual cannot "change" that, but they can make choices on what lifestyle to live.

How can you say for sure that she didn't "change?"

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to stir up debate for kicks, I'd really like some perspective on this question.
  • macpatti
    Options
    I don't think people who are born homosexual can just change that, anymore than someone born heterosexual can change that. We can, however, make choices to be in relationships with whoever we want just as we can choose not to be in a relationship. I believe there are homosexuals who are living in a heterosexual relationship because of religious or social stigma issues. That doesn't make them heterosexual, though.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    I don't think people who are born homosexual can just change that, anymore than someone born heterosexual can change that. We can, however, make choices to be in relationships with whoever we want just as we can choose not to be in a relationship. I believe there are homosexuals who are living in a heterosexual relationship because of religious or social stigma issues. That doesn't make them heterosexual, though.

So it's just based on your personal belief?
  • macpatti
    Options
    Based on what I believe from conversations I've had with my homosexual friends.
  • debloves2ride
    Options

I agree with that - I have personally known several homosexuals that are or attempted to live the hetero lifestyle. It works for some, but others can't take the strain of being something you are not. I think if you are born homosexual, that is what you are. There is no "changing". Because of the society we live in many try to change or adapt and it just doesn't work. I have often thought that women could "hide" or disguise their sexuality better than men, but that doesn't mean they are happy.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Based on what I believe from conversations I've had with my homosexual friends.

Outside of the personal connection, why is their word more valid than hers?
  • macpatti
    Options
    Outside of the personal connection, why is their word more valid than hers?
    I never said their word was more valid than hers. If she thinks she's "changed" from being a lesbian to being a heterosexual because of finding religion, then I'm not going to argue with her.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I don't believe people like hat were ever gay. They might have been bisexual but they weren't completely homosexual. Since Upon will probably ask why I feel that way I'll go ahead and answer with a question. You say you are completely heterosexual. Could you ever imagine yourself becoming homosexual for any reason? I know I can't.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    I don't believe people like hat were ever gay. They might have been bisexual but they weren't completely homosexual. Since Upon will probably ask why I feel that way I'll go ahead and answer with a question. You say you are completely heterosexual. Could you ever imagine yourself becoming homosexual for any reason? I know I can't.

No, I couldn't.

But my point is, if there were someone that said that they could "change" to being homosexual, how do I know that they're wrong, other than my personal belief?

And if the only thing we're going on is our personal beliefs, what makes my belief any more valid than the former lesbian's?
  • macpatti
    Options
    But my point is, if there were someone that said that they could "change" to being homosexual, how do I know that they're wrong, other than my personal belief?
    Believe her then. The problem with this, though, is she's claiming that others can do the same thing.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Believe her then. The problem with this, though, is she's claiming that others can do the same thing.

Edit: scratch that, I don't want to get off topic here.

Claiming that others can do the same thing is simply the next logical step from what she already believes is true.

What I may or may not personally believe isn't the issue, the question is do I have anything to go on other than my belief.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Here's a lot of research on the subject, Rock:

http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/html/facts_changing.html

The conclusion - at least the most recent update - seems to be that "There was no way to judge the credibility of subject reports of change in sexual orientation."

Which kinda doesn't answer much, but there's a lot of information there.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Why is that a problem?

that idea is likely to cause a lot of grief among those who wish they could change (bc of being made to feel bad/societal pressures), but feel unable to.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

Why is that a problem?

that idea is likely to cause a lot of grief among those who wish they could change (bc of being made to feel bad/societal pressures), but feel unable to.

you caught me before the edit, lol
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Here's a lot of research on the subject, Rock:

http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/html/facts_changing.html

The conclusion - at least the most recent update - seems to be that "There was no way to judge the credibility of subject reports of change in sexual orientation."

Which kinda doesn't answer much, but there's a lot of information there.

Pretty much what I suspected.

Although, they should have at least tried playing Madonna records.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    the question is do I have anything to go on other than my belief.

nope. neither does she. But she is making claims that run counter to the things we have observed.

Many efforts have been made, mostly under the umbrella of religious thought, to find a way to "cure" someone of homosexuality. These don't usually end well, and are pretty traumatic to the victims.

If she feels happier now, well, good for her, but she doesn't need to spread the idea that other should or could follow in her footsteps.
  • macpatti
    Options
    nope. neither does she. But she is making claims that run counter to the things we have observed.

Many efforts have been made, mostly under the umbrella of religious thought, to find a way to "cure" someone of homosexuality. These don't usually end well, and are pretty traumatic to the victims.

If she feels happier now, well, good for her, but she doesn't need to spread the idea that other should or could follow in her footsteps.
    Exactly. All we need is Christian extrmeists using her as an example as a "cure" for homosexuality!