Forcing Your Child to be Vegan/Vegetarian.

Options

Replies

• InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    My child has been raised as I have, by the food pyramid, including meats.

In my opinion, animals were created to provide meat for human nourishment. Just as corn, beans, grains and various other things that grow were created to do the same. If my son chooses to live a vegetarian or vegan lifestyles. That is perfectly fine by me. He can have what I make for dinner minus the meat or he can prepare his own food until he moves out.

I get some meat from the grocery but also from a local butcher when I can. My dad worked a second job there when I was a child. I've seen the local cows being brought in and watched them get slaughtered before being processed. Has never bothered me.

Animals were created to provide human nourishment? Just humans, then? No other animals. What about us? Were we 'created' to provide nourishment to animals such as lions and our other predetors?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

In my opinion, animals were created to provide meat for human nourishment. Just as corn, beans, grains and various other things that grow were created to do the same. If my son chooses to live a vegetarian or vegan lifestyles. That is perfectly fine by me. He can have what I make for dinner minus the meat or he can prepare his own food until he moves out.

I get some meat from the grocery but also from a local butcher when I can. My dad worked a second job there when I was a child. I've seen the local cows being brought in and watched them get slaughtered before being processed. Has never bothered me.

Animals were created to provide human nourishment? Just humans, then? No other animals. What about us? Were we 'created' to provide nourishment to animals such as lions and our other predetors?

Considering humans are at the top of the food chain, no. Animals such as lions eat other animals below them on the food chain.

Are carnivorous animals guilty of murder in your opinion then? Since they survive on preying on smaller animals?
  • VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Thank you for your comments. I condensed what I had to say about Kant because I did not expect that anyone on this board would be so familiar with his philosophy.

Please also understand that knowledge of biology and psychology during Kant's time (18th century) was extremely primitive as compared with today. His assertions about animals were undoubtedly based on perceptions of that day, and as you can imagine, I agree with some of them and disagree with some.

http://www.beholders.org/mind/environmental/149-talkingkoko.html

As you can see from my link, some animals can be shown to be logical and able to use language to communicate with other species such as humans. Needless to say, the article also shows how compassionate these creatures are. These are well developed sentient beings who have as much intrinsic right to live as we do. Indeed, Koko, has more ability to communicate than some retarded humans. Therefore, the categorical imperative should be broadened, even by your own criteria, to include sentient beings. I can think of no logical argument to exclude them.

I missed this one (busy thread!).

In reply, I would say that if there is good reason to think that other animals besides humans are capable of the kind of “transcendent” thinking, reflection, understanding, etc., that we humans are capable of doing, then it logically follows that they should be included in the range of creatures protected by law as having a “right to life.” I still don’t see evidence that this is the case, however. The story on Koko the gorilla is a very optimistic one that doesn’t report the serious debates surrounding Koko’s real ability (when compared to humans). Apparently very little has been done to scientifically test the claims that have been made and much (or nearly all) of the interpretation of Koko’s sign-language is left to the handlers. Outside objective tests have not been done (as far as I know). The on-line interviews with Koko that are available on-line are more humorous than convincing. Most of the time Koko responds to questions with something that makes no logical sense and the few times there might be some connection the meaning is debatable (and is also typically surrounded by the use of signs that don’t make sense in that context). I don’t know all the facts but I certainly haven’t seen anything that suggests that Koko “understands” in the sense that I am talking about understanding (transcendent understanding).

I am not sure what you mean exactly by "Transcendent understanding" but two obvious questions come to mind:

1. How do you know what an animal is capable of thinking, and,

2. If a creature shares 98 % of his DNA with us (note: Kant did not know what DNA was), and if that creature is demonstrably capable of love, compassion, communication, friendship, and virtually everything we are capable of and everything that makes life worth living, why would it deserve to be slaughtered and eaten?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Considering humans are at the top of the food chain, no. Animals such as lions eat other animals below them on the food chain.

Are carnivorous animals guilty of murder in your opinion then? Since they survive on preying on smaller animals?

You're at the top of the food chain in front of a lion, tiger, alligator, etc., only if you happen to have a weapon in your hand.

Just sayin'.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

We're the top of the food chain? Really? Come and tell me that when you fight a shark with your bare hands.

1. Carnivorous animals actually NEED meat to survive.
    2. The difference between us and other animals are that we have the capability to recognise the difference between right and wrong. Oh, and they don't breed animals in their billions and torture them everyday, eventually kill them then send them off to supermarkets, packaged in foil to be sold to greedy humans.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

You're at the top of the food chain in front of a lion, tiger, alligator, etc., only if you happen to have a weapon in your hand.

Just sayin'.

^You beat me to it.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Just sayin'.
    I'm pretty sure what puts us at the top is our intellect. :huh:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

We're the top of the food chain? Really? Come and tell me that when you fight a shark with your bare hands.

2. The difference between us and other animals are that we have the capability to recognise the difference between right and wrong. Oh, and they don't breed animals in their billions and torture them everyday, eventually kill them then send them off to supermarkets, packaged in foil to be sold to greedy humans.
    1. So if I'm one of those people who gets sick if they try to keep a vegetarian diet even if they are theoretically doing everything right, I still get to eat meat, yes?
    2. The fact that I eat meat means that you think I am a murderer, a torturer, and greedy, right? So then don't you have a moral obligation to kill me so that I stop?

By the way, the fact that you are anti-abortion makes you a woman-murderer in my eyes. My god says so. :)
  • rml_16
    Options
    Just sayin'.

So if you're out on the African savannah without a gun and a lion comes around, you're going to talk it to death?

Our intellect allows us to create and use weapons to make up for our physical shortcomings. But without that weapon, you are not at the top of the chain.
  • rml_16
    Options
    For the record, while I am a vegetarian, I do not smack omnivores upside the head about it. I choose not to eat meat, but people still eat it in my house. Sometimes I even cook it for them.

I was not vegetarian until my daughter was a teenager, so she eats what she likes, though she's probably 90% vegetarian on her own. Had I been vegetarian from her birth, I would have raised her vegetarian. Just like my mother learned to cook from her Italian mother so we ate a lot of Italian food because that was our family culture. Nothing wrong with either choice.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Just sayin'.

So if you're out on the African savannah without a gun and a lion comes around, you're going to talk it to death?

Our intellect allows us to create and use weapons to make up for our physical shortcomings. But without that weapon, you are not at the top of the chain.

^this.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

1. So if I'm one of those people who gets sick if they try to keep a vegetarian diet even if they are theoretically doing everything right, I still get to eat meat, yes?
    2. The fact that I eat meat means that you think I am a murderer, a torturer, and greedy, right? So then don't you have a moral obligation to kill me so that I stop?

By the way, the fact that you are anti-abortion makes you a woman-murderer in my eyes. My god says so. :)

1. I always find it funny when people say that.
    2. I don't think you're a murderer. You're not killing the animal. You're an accessory in its murder and torture. I think humans as a species are greedy, so yes, I think you're greedy. I think I'm greedy because I still eat diary, despite knowing it's just as bad as the meat industry.

LOL. Woman murderer? How does that make sense? What woman is getting murdered.

ETA; And, no, I don't have a moral obligation to kill anyone.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Surely our intellect would tell us NOT to be on the African savannah without a gun or other means of protection.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Surely our intellect would tell us NOT to be on the African savannah without a gun or other means of protection.

Good grief.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Just sayin'.

We are at the top of the food chain because we are a species that is not hunted for food and are not a food source of another species. We do however hunt and survive on nearly any animal species.

The African savannah is a stretch... a spider could kill me but I'm still higher up on the food chain.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

That doesn't make us the top of the food chain. An animal can usually tell when not to put itself in danger. It doesn't mean it's the top of the food chain.
  • macpatti
    Options

You lost me here.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

Your point is?
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Just sayin'.

We are at the top of the food chain because we are a species that is not hunted for food and are not a food source of another species. We do however hunt and survive on nearly any animal species.

The African savannah is a stretch... a spider could kill me but I'm still higher up on the food chain.

We would be hunted if we lived in the wild like the rest of the animal kindgdom.

We are not naturally at the top of the food chain.

ETA; If any organism is at the top of the food chain, it's bacteria.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

1. I always find it funny when people say that.
    2. I don't think you're a murderer. You're not killing the animal. You're an accessory in its murder and torture. I think humans as a species are greedy, so yes, I think you're greedy. I think I'm greedy because I still eat diary, despite knowing it's just as bad as the meat industry.

LOL. Woman murderer? How does that make sense? What woman is getting murdered.

ETA; And, no, I don't have a moral obligation to kill anyone.
    1. Why's it funny? I know several people in that situation, plus, although I have never tried being vegetarian, I start feeling sick if I don't eat meat for about a week.
    2. I've killed animals. I go fishing, and I spray my apartment with neurotoxins so that I don't have cockroaches, water bugs, or ants.

The woman being murdered is the one who dies because she can't get access to a medically necessary abortion because someone somewhere decided for some baffling reason that a fetus is a person. At best, it's criminally negligent homicide.