Where are my fellow P90xers?

Options

Replies

• BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    It's okay if you have to modify guys. This is new to some of us, or if it has been awhile, you're not going to be able to get right on it. You have to work your way up, and all you need to worry about is doing your best! That's all you can do. Whether you're modifying the workouts or going at it full steam.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I'll be starting in a few weeks. I like to read threads like these so I have an idea of what I'm in for. lol I'm very overweight still so I'm gonna have to modify the heck out of some things, but I'm really looking forward to the challenge. I have faith in myself that I can do it.

Beana I'm still over 200 just to give you some perspective on where i am at in my journey. I love Tony's motto, "Do your best and forget the rest" Don't worry about doing every move perfectly, just the fact you are pressing play everyday is dedication! Welcome!
  • kam5507
    kam5507 Posts: 40
    Options
    double time rock stars and knee jumps!!!!! :noway:

I have such a hard time with those, my ankles and knees hate them!
  • BryGuy2
    Options
    My knees don't like those either, but you get such an awesome workout!
  • stephdg89
    Options
    It's okay if you have to modify guys. This is new to some of us, or if it has been awhile, you're not going to be able to get right on it. You have to work your way up, and all you need to worry about is doing your best! That's all you can do. Whether you're modifying the workouts or going at it full steam.

So true!

So, I just started a new (well, not new, but it's been 6 months since I've been on it) prescription med so I will be taking a few days break from hard workouts. The medicine makes me super groggy and in a fog, tired and light headed, and makes my heart race. It's usually just really bad the first week, so in a few days i should be able to start back up. It's for migraines. I'll still be watching what I eat, but the medicine also has a side effect of weight loss and reduced appetite so that aspect should be a bit easier. In fact, that's the reason why I'm even here, because I stopped it in Feb and gained weight, but will prob drop it all now that I'm back on it. I'd still like to be fit though!
  • BryGuy2
    Options
    Sorry to hear you have to be on the medication steph, but you take the time you need to relax. :)
  • stephdg89
    Options
    Sorry to hear you have to be on the medication steph, but you take the time you need to relax. :)

Thank you!
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    So today was the first time I did yoga. I don't know about yoga. There is no burn- I am a cardio person, I crave burn and sweat. It did not feel like I was doing anything. There were a couple of times that my legs got sore, but not for long. It just felt like stretching. I had some trouble with some balance moves and had to leave my toes on the floor for crane. By the time I was lying in corpse I was ready for a nap- I will say that yoga relaxed me. I am supposed to run now, but I am all relaxed and sleepy.

There must be a reason he includes yoga, but overall I was bored and did not feel challenged.
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    So today was the first time I did yoga. I don't know about yoga. There is no burn- I am a cardio person, I crave burn and sweat. It did not feel like I was doing anything. There were a couple of times that my legs got sore, but not for long. It just felt like stretching. I had some trouble with some balance moves and had to leave my toes on the floor for crane. By the time I was lying in corpse I was ready for a nap- I will say that yoga relaxed me. I am supposed to run now, but I am all relaxed and sleepy.

There must be a reason he includes yoga, but overall I was bored and did not feel challenged.

Wow I'm actually surprised you didn't feel challenged. I have done Yoga before, but YogaX is one of the hardest Yoga's I've ever done, I'm completely challenged and I burn at least 500 calories everytime I do it.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm actually surprised you didn't feel challenged. I have done Yoga before, but YogaX is one of the hardest Yoga's I've ever done, I'm completely challenged and I burn at least 500 calories everytime I do it.
    [/quote]

I am surprised to hear that you burn at that rate. My burn rate was the same as when I am not working out- only 81 net calories for the hour and half (212 total). I really gave it my all and tried to do it exactly the way that they were in the video. Sometimes I would notice that my foot was not turned the right way and adjusted. But by the end I had not really sweated or anything, did not even need a shower. What I found was that during the moving portion of the yoga my heart rate went up a bit, but once that was done I became really relaxed and my heart rate actually went below my normal resting heart rate. I will keep it up anyways cause I did like being that relaxed. But in the future I will run before the yoga to get a burn in.
  • 4Elyse2012
    4Elyse2012 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Started P90x Lean program this week and have done 4 days of it so far.......I can't remember the last time I've been this sore! It feels great, actually, to know that I'm accomplishing something! The workouts aren't quite as brutal as I remember, but I guess that means I am in slightly better shape than the last time I tried it...

I am sticking with it this time! I am working at a fairly new job with mostly fit people and have been talking about how I've started it, so not only do I not want to let myself down but I don't want to look like a fat, lazy slob who can't finish a work out goal to my new coworkers!
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    Yeah I'm not relaxed until I am in corpse pose. HAHA!
    I have Yoga today and I really hate to do it. Uggh not looking forward to recovery week you do Yoga more often.
  • znm100
    znm100 Posts: 148
    Options

I am surprised to hear that you burn at that rate. My burn rate was the same as when I am not working out- only 81 net calories for the hour and half (212 total). I really gave it my all and tried to do it exactly the way that they were in the video. Sometimes I would notice that my foot was not turned the right way and adjusted. But by the end I had not really sweated or anything, did not even need a shower. What I found was that during the moving portion of the yoga my heart rate went up a bit, but once that was done I became really relaxed and my heart rate actually went below my normal resting heart rate. I will keep it up anyways cause I did like being that relaxed. But in the future I will run before the yoga to get a burn in.
    [/quote]

Not to be critical, but if you aren't sweating, you aren't doing it right. You seem to be in pretty good shape, but lets admit it, none of us here are as in shape as the folks on the video, and they sweat a ton. I would be conscious of your form next time, and make sure you have your legs bent all the way, other parts extended all the way, etc... I do this the entire workout, because, for me, this is pretty hard, and its long... I don't want to feel like I wasted 90 minutes of my life afterwards...

I do have a question for you... you said you burned 81 net calories and 212 total... is this something your heart rate monitor tells you? or something you figure out on your own afterwards? I've often wondered when I am doing stuff that I log as exercise that takes a while to do, how far it is off because some of those calories I would have burned anyways doing nothing, right? Is that what you mean by net vs total? And how did you figure it out? Thanks!
  • znm100
    znm100 Posts: 148
    Options
    Started P90x Lean program this week and have done 4 days of it so far.......I can't remember the last time I've been this sore! It feels great, actually, to know that I'm accomplishing something! The workouts aren't quite as brutal as I remember, but I guess that means I am in slightly better shape than the last time I tried it...

I am sticking with it this time! I am working at a fairly new job with mostly fit people and have been talking about how I've started it, so not only do I not want to let myself down but I don't want to look like a fat, lazy slob who can't finish a work out goal to my new coworkers!

Welcome! you will find people all over the program on this thread... several of us are just wrapping up our 3rd week and are heading into our first "recovery week". Just keep pressing play everyday!
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    YogaX done for the day. It took a lot to get me to do it but I did, I'm getting a little bit better, I actually was able to do plough today, still no crane and frog is really hard for me as my hip flexors are really tight, but I felt really good and stretched. Burned 486!

I always complain and moan and procrastinate doing Yogax but I'm always so thankful afterwards, I get my sweat on and my body is really stretched.
  • BryGuy2
    Options

There is real reason that he has you do yoga and its not to be pouring in sweat. I am like you in that I also like to sweat when im working out, I feel like i'm actually doing something. But yoga is very, very important to this program and, in my opinion, our bodies. Yoga enchances stability, balance and strength. With all of those balance moves and warrior moves, you are improving your balance and strength. They are very hard to me still, but afterwards I feel great, i've helped stretch my muscles which promotes growth and it has helped me with my running and even plyometrics.

Believe me, it is very beneficial to this program and I know it seems long and tedious, but all yoga classes are like that. P90x is no different from any other local class you may go to, so we have a real privilige to get it this cheap. Find ways to motivate yourself to stick through it. You'll notice a difference I assure you.
  • kam5507
    Options

So true!

So, I just started a new (well, not new, but it's been 6 months since I've been on it) prescription med so I will be taking a few days break from hard workouts. The medicine makes me super groggy and in a fog, tired and light headed, and makes my heart race. It's usually just really bad the first week, so in a few days i should be able to start back up. It's for migraines. I'll still be watching what I eat, but the medicine also has a side effect of weight loss and reduced appetite so that aspect should be a bit easier. In fact, that's the reason why I'm even here, because I stopped it in Feb and gained weight, but will prob drop it all now that I'm back on it. I'd still like to be fit though!

What meds did they start you on? For Fibro and Migrain they put me on Elavil/Amptitryptaline and I gained all my weight off that and so fast!
  • kam5507
    Options

There is real reason that he has you do yoga and its not to be pouring in sweat. I am like you in that I also like to sweat when im working out, I feel like i'm actually doing something. But yoga is very, very important to this program and, in my opinion, our bodies. Yoga enchances stability, balance and strength. With all of those balance moves and warrior moves, you are improving your balance and strength. They are very hard to me still, but afterwards I feel great, i've helped stretch my muscles which promotes growth and it has helped me with my running and even plyometrics.

Believe me, it is very beneficial to this program and I know it seems long and tedious, but all yoga classes are like that. P90x is no different from any other local class you may go to, so we have a real privilige to get it this cheap. Find ways to motivate yourself to stick through it. You'll notice a difference I assure you.

I sweat like crazy doing yoga.. I get ya though I love cardio more.. but if you really focus on your moves you will sweat
  • stephdg89
    Options

So true!

What meds did they start you on? For Fibro and Migrain they put me on Elavil/Amptitryptaline and I gained all my weight off that and so fast!

I am on topamax. I actually have been for like 6 years, except when I was pregnant, and I went off in Feb to get pregnant again. I was right on the border of underweight too, so needed to gain a few lbs. I did get pregnant but had a miscarriage and now I don't want to get pregnant for another few years so I went back on. Lots of info for a simple question! lol
  • StarvingDiva
    Options

So true!

I am on topamax. I actually have been for like 6 years, except when I was pregnant, and I went off in Feb to get pregnant again. I was right on the border of underweight too, so needed to gain a few lbs. I did get pregnant but had a miscarriage and now I don't want to get pregnant for another few years so I went back on. Lots of info for a simple question! lol

I was on Topamax for several years, it was a wonder drug for my migraines, then I needed a refill and it was winter and they wanted me to drive down because the doctor I normally saw wasn't t here anymore, so they wouldn't just give me a refill and it was way too far away about an hour since I moved and so I just completely went off them and *knock on wood* haven't had a migraine since.